PDA

View Full Version : Painting D&D Miniatures question.

killem2
2012-04-04, 09:40 AM
Is there a trick to repainting the plastic d&d minis? Any tips?

I cannot get paint (acrylic) to stay on right.

:smallsigh::smallsigh:

Mazeburn
2012-04-04, 12:40 PM
...Wait, do you mean you can't get them to stay on or you can't get them to go on right in the first place? xD

What kind of acrylics are you using? Some of them tend to peel a bit. As for getting them to go on, often using a magnifying glass is good for details, and basically the finest brush you can. Expensive as they are, Warhammer or Citadel supplies are pretty much made for this stuff, though there are good alternatives. What are you painting, exactly - is it characters, creatures, or what? I've done a few of these myself and you can usually expect the first couple to turn out a bit lousy, till you've got a good eye for it. At least in my experience. xP

DoctorGlock
2012-04-04, 01:12 PM
As above, but I have to mention primers. The entire purpose of these spreays is to create a surface that paint can bind to. Acrylics (depending on the brand) have a hard time sticking to metal and plastic, and if unprimed it becomes impossible.

I might switch to citadel myself provided I get some income this summer.

killem2
2012-04-04, 01:30 PM
thanks for the replies, yeah these are the d&d plastic mini, like the player's hand book hereos type things.

What kind of primer should I use?

DoctorGlock
2012-04-04, 02:13 PM
thanks for the replies, yeah these are the d&d plastic mini, like the player's hand book hereos type things.

What kind of primer should I use?

Spray primer, i'm not sure if listing brands counts as advertising, everyone I know swears by GW foundations, i've used them from time to time, a bit pricey but they work, I know a few that use cheap latex based primers or enamels.

as to color, it depends on what you are painting. For vibrant colors use a white primer as it will show a bit. For dark and muted go with black. I use black but I am just coming back from a 9 year painting hiatus (and need to repaint all of my armies as i realize 12 year old me was not nearly as talented as I thought at the time) so my advice will likely be supplanted by better.

Now, you don't need citadel paints though they are the best on the market (even if they have utterly silly names). You can make do with cheap stuff (I use Anita's Craft Paint, dirt cheap and non toxic [yeah, the stuff i had since i was 12]) my sculpting thread shows the results of those paints.

Here's some stuff I used recently. I found it massively helpful, maybe you will as well.

Huge list of painting links (http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/p/archives.html)

killem2
2012-04-06, 07:58 AM
I ended up sangging some clear glaze krylon stuff, shot just a tiny bit of that on a d&d mini, and the paint stuck a lot better!

DoctorGlock
2012-04-06, 09:41 AM
I ended up sangging some clear glaze krylon stuff, shot just a tiny bit of that on a d&d mini, and the paint stuck a lot better!

That'll do fine. I never worked with glazes, do they obscure the details much?

killem2
2012-04-06, 10:26 AM
That'll do fine. I never worked with glazes, do they obscure the details much?

I'll be honest, I'm not realy picky but I did notice on a test figure you have to go easy, i stepped back like 5 fee and just misted it on each side.

The test one, was too close and had globs of goo on it.

I'll get a picture tonight.

Erasmas
2012-05-02, 12:43 PM
I paint a lot of miniatures, both pewter and plastic.
I have found that Citadel's paints are very expensive and dry out way too fast for me. If you have a Wal-Mart where you live... they carry craft acrylic paints that are like $1 or $2 per bottle and they last a long, long time. I add a little bit of water to mine when I am mixing a color to paint with... but that's just a style choice!

But primer is certainly a must. You have to be careful with some of the 'usual' primers that you can buy at hardware stores as the mist from these seems to be thicker and tends to muddle the finer details just a bit. The specific miniature primers (like Citadel, etc.) seem to have a finer spray that clings into all of those lovely nooks and crannies!

Hope that helps. Good luck!