PDA

View Full Version : ability burn/body fuel clarification

big teej
2012-04-04, 09:58 AM
greetings playgrounders,

I have a quick question on the Body Fuel feat.

it states that you can recover 2 power points by taking a point of damage to the physical stats.

now, the way I read it, that means ALL of your physical stats drop by 1, and you regain two power points.

but I wanted to make sure that was correct. (as opposed to taking a point of damage in 1 of them, and regaining 2, or regaining 6, given that you took 3 points of damage)

so.... is this correct?

Stegyre
2012-04-04, 10:40 AM
now, the way I read it, that means ALL of your physical stats drop by 1, and you regain two power points.

. . .

so.... is this correct?

Yes. I don't really see room for ambiguity:

You can recover 2 power points by taking 1 point of ability burn damage to each of your three ability scores: Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution.

big teej
2012-04-04, 11:09 AM
Yes. I don't really see room for ambiguity:

I don't either, but I've managed to colossally misinterprate ...interpret.. whatever.

I've managed to colossally misunderstand things before (typically by missing a very important word, despite reading a rule repeatedly*)

(heh.... con damage. I didn't see the word "modifier" in the con damage rules.... my players didn't appreciate kythons very much)

Cor1
2012-04-04, 03:15 PM
People actually use Body Fuel as written? I'm shocked.

Teach them about Psychic Reformatting it into something useful, like a recharge method. Metapower (Linked Power (Bestow Power)) works great and is slow enough to pass for "shortening the rest stop" (and solving the 15 minutes workday). My personal favourite is Earth Power (fluff : you recharge power by taking it from a physical embodiment of the element of Earth / crunch here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177889&page=1) at "The Embrace of Mother Earth").

When there are cheap, easy recharge methods, why would you have to take untreatable ability damage? At LEAST get the DM to remove "ability burn" from the system and replace it with normal ability damage. Even then, it would still a bad option, but from a narrative/fluff POV, it would make sense. The Psion who's in dire straits, short on mind power, and burns its own body to fuel a last action. What's the problem with being able to cure the damage? Curing that would cost more power points than it can have given (unless for some reason you have crazy high physical stats), so it's just a trap option, as it is.