PDA

View Full Version : DM types (quiz setup)

Balor01
2012-04-04, 02:19 PM
I like quizes, so I was thinking of making a DM quiz, that is "what kind of a DM are you?"

Would playground be willing to help me with determinining DM types and themes I could base my questions on?

Here is an example of DM Type and description:

The Killer
Tarrasque is underpowered. All CR is too low. Need more PC classes on these monsters. PC death a day keeps the doctor away. Disjunction.

I guess questions would be like ...

When I prep my NPCs they must:
- have 90% chance to TPK that party
- be fun
- be realistic

etc.

Grinner
2012-04-04, 02:24 PM
The problem with most personality quizzes is that the intent of a question is often far too obvious (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Personality_test#Respondent_faking).

Totally Guy
2012-04-04, 02:39 PM
Plus, in gaming, the quiz writer often also has an agenda which is reflected in the way they write the questions.

There was a good one some time where you got: Story Now, Old-School, Participationism, or Messy gaming group explosion (because you're horrible)!

Mastikator
2012-04-04, 05:01 PM
I'll help by giving advice since I have no life and spend a lot of time taking internet quizzes.
Take a look at the Advanced Global Personality Test (http://similarminds.com/global-adv.html). Notice that the same questions props up several time, but phrased differently.
This so done to exclude possible other reasons for the answer. Let me demonstrate.

Q1, do you like apples better than oranges?
a1 yes a lot
a2 yes a little
a3 no

If the person answers yes, it does not mean that the person likes apples, if he answers no, it does not mean that he dislikes apples. Only by asking the opposite question can you accurately narrow down the real answer, otherwise the quizee will have to anticipate your assumptions and modify his response to get a more accurate result as accurate answers may lead to inaccurate results.

I bring this up because this is one of the most common flaws I see in internet quizzes, in fact, I see it in nearly ALL quizzes and it always totally invalidates the results.

So, my advice is basically, pick the important questions, ask them several times in different ways, rather than pick many different less important questions. (yes, I know it can feel like repetition for the user, but it's worth it)