PDA

View Full Version : Jedi recruiters: state-sanctioned kidnappers?

hamishspence
2012-04-04, 03:09 PM
This question is inspired by a statement in the background book The Jedi Path, which is an in-universe Jedi training manual, defictionalized.

In the "Noted myths about the Jedi Order" Section on page 143, one is "the Jedi are kidnappers" - it states that this is rooted in parental attachment, and that

Also, it is technically false. In the Republic, the Jedi Order have legal custody of all force-sensitives. Some Masters have argued that the presence of the Force in a child indicates consent by that child to join the Order- even when he or she is too young to speak.

Thoughts?

Caewil
2012-04-04, 03:33 PM
They are kidnappers, pretty much. Guess that's one of the reasons Palpatine didn't have much trouble demonizing them.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-04-04, 03:39 PM
Yeah, that strikes me as pretty much propaganda that heavily skews the facts. Subconscious acceptance of a nonliving quasi-magical entity? Um, no.

Jayngfet
2012-04-04, 03:47 PM
This is a major in-universe controversy that's been gone over again and again. Obviously though the jedi can't effectivly take every force child, simply because that would cause the order to baloon out to trillions what with all the force sensitive species. It'd be impractical considering that in a lot of cases you need to wrestle them out of the hands of local mystics or smaller niche orders. Especially since so many of them either have lightsabers or an equivalent weapon.

It's more reasonable to say the jedi get any kid they can find provided they don't encounter too much violent resistance, can actually reach them and have more than the slightest connection to the force.

RandomLunatic
2012-04-04, 03:49 PM
I love how, terrible as the prequel trilogy is, every official attempt to explain it somehow makes it worse.

And no, this is ridiculous. Especially as these are the same movies that want us to believe The Force is a byproduct of space bacteria. It makes about as much sense as "Being born with sickle-cell anemia indicates consent to join the Army".

hamishspence
2012-04-04, 04:05 PM
It could be that they only pick the most powerful.

since there's mandatory testing at birth- they probably don't miss too many.

it's likely that after several thousand years, it's reached the point where very few parents refuse, and in those rare cases, the Jedi rarely use their legal power to take custody anyway.

still- it does seem that all those criticisms of the idea that a Jedi mother would fear her children being taken from her (Republic Commando series) aren't as well founded as originally thought.

Mewtarthio
2012-04-04, 04:08 PM
Do not be silly, citizens. Friend Jedi Order is logically incapable of kidnapping. Friend Jedi Order answers to a power higher than mere mortal laws or personal attachments. The Force flows through all things and is the source of all life, and Friend Jedi Order is the mortal voice of The Force.

Any disagreement with the above statements is a sign of Dark Side corruption and may have been caused by treacherous Sith influence. Please do not feel ashamed: The Sith are everywhere, even within your very thoughts. I have taken the liberty of informing the Order about this thread, and a team of Jedi Knights has been dispatched to purge this infection. Thank you, and have a nice day.

Tengu_temp
2012-04-04, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the Jedi don't take kids away without the parents' permission, which means it's just a variation of the "master finds a kid with potential and takes it as his apprentice" thing which happens all the time in fantasy. And Star Wars is more fantasy than sci-fi, so yeah.

Jayngfet
2012-04-04, 09:11 PM
Everyone should probably keep in mind that Palpatine is already known to have tampered with this particular book and had YEARS to do so. Expecting it to be completley unbaised might not be fair.

Thrawn183
2012-04-04, 11:34 PM
One of the books about Darth Maul centered on a character who was fired from the Jedi Temple because his child was force sensitive. He was...extremely bitter at being forbidden from seeing his child by the Jedi.

Tebryn
2012-04-04, 11:46 PM
Is this really the worst aspect of the Jedi Order? How about denying ones feelings and empathy? The Jedi Order is horrible when you consider they tell people not to find beauty in another person despite it being a biological imperative to perpetuate the species. Not to get angry or scared, not to give in to emotions even though we're hard wired for them all because it may turn one to the "Dark Side". I find the Jedi Order to be far worse than the alternative. Emotional people can be reasoned with. Robots cannot.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-05, 01:07 AM
Of course not!:smallsigh:
Depending on the era, they are hardly "state-sanctioned".:smalltongue:
In all seriousness, Hagrid could be considered a kidnapper of Mr. Potter, with the staff of the school aiding and abetting. Not to mention child endangerment and. . .
I'm not helping my case am I?

hamishspence
2012-04-05, 01:55 AM
Everyone should probably keep in mind that Palpatine is already known to have tampered with this particular book and had YEARS to do so. Expecting it to be completley unbaised might not be fair.

The places where he has tampered are clearly shown- everything in the section on the Chosen One is crossed out, and he's written lots of snippy comments about the Jedi in the margins. And every Jedi who's owned it has written their own comments.

But the text itself is supposed to be the original text.
Wookieepedia's Jedi Recruiter article confirms the "Jedi have legal custody" statement.

Xondoure
2012-04-05, 02:17 AM
SW universe is a mess. Especially the EU. Only sane way to deal with it as treat every story as part of a slightly different world that all happen to have lightsabers.

lord_khaine
2012-04-05, 07:56 AM
Is this really the worst aspect of the Jedi Order? How about denying ones feelings and empathy? The Jedi Order is horrible when you consider they tell people not to find beauty in another person despite it being a biological imperative to perpetuate the species. Not to get angry or scared, not to give in to emotions even though we're hard wired for them all because it may turn one to the "Dark Side". I find the Jedi Order to be far worse than the alternative. Emotional people can be reasoned with. Robots cannot.

The reasoning behind this were actualy explained pretty well in SWToR, the Jedi are a universal order of meditators and judges, and the need to be impartial makes it nececary for them to avoid getting ruled by their emotions.

And you got that last part mixed up, its emotional people who cant be reasoned with, while AI's should allways be ready to listen to logic.

edit.

To get back on track

Thoughts?

Well, the law is pretty clear here then, they are not kidnappers, they are the legal guardians.

Janus
2012-04-05, 08:05 AM
I don't know how canonical it is, but I remember reading one of the Jedi Apprentice books years ago (detailing the adventures of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon) which had a subplot about the two going to pick up a Force-sensitive kid. If I remember correctly, they needed (and had) the parents' permission to do so.

Reverent-One
2012-04-05, 08:17 AM
But the text itself is supposed to be the original text.
Wookieepedia's Jedi Recruiter article confirms the "Jedi have legal custody" statement.

I don't see that anywhere, and even if it did, the only source on that page is The Jedi Path manual, so you'd confirming what the book says with what the book says.

While I don't know of any explict statements to the contrary, books from that time seem to have consistently implied that the Jedi get permission from the parents.

SW universe is a mess. Especially the EU. Only sane way to deal with it as treat every story as part of a slightly different world that all happen to have lightsabers.

If my way is wrong, I don't want to be right. :smalltongue:

Dienekes
2012-04-05, 08:54 AM

Ehh, numerous monastic and philosophical schools of thought have been based around the notion of denying emotion. Choosing to join such an ideology is fine, it's just the enforcing on children thing that gets me. Also argument based on emotion is a logical fallacy, theoretically giving more information should make purely logical beings change their minds, so you can argue with them just fine. You just can't use appeals to emotion.

Also from the movies I always got the feeling it was more keep your emotions in check rather than simply denying them. Which is a statement I completely agree with. I've seen emotion make people do some incredibly idiotic things and disturbing things. And the less idiotic things people with magic powers do the best for everyone really. Unfortunately the Jedi still act like idiots in the prequels, but I like to think that was just bad writing.

Mewtarthio
2012-04-05, 09:35 AM
In all seriousness, Hagrid could be considered a kidnapper of Mr. Potter, with the staff of the school aiding and abetting. Not to mention child endangerment and. . .
I'm not helping my case am I?

Given the state of Harry's life in the Dursley's care, Hagrid's really more of a social worker. A social worker who gives children back to their abusive parents for three months out of the year and trains them as child soldiers for the other nine. :smalltongue:

Jerthanis
2012-04-05, 10:56 AM
Yeah, the Jedi Order in the Old Republic are pretty much as evil as you can be. A weird, state sponsored cult where natural aspects of humanity are suppressed on pain of death and which recruits children from before they can give any kind of consent, almost assuredly against the will of the parents considering the extreme rarity of those sensitive to the force.

The way I had always thought of them before was that they were landed soldiers who were sworn to service of the Republic, raised families and held to the old way of chivalry. The lightsaber was less a superpower and more of a backup weapon. Old Ben Kenobi never said, "Your father was a Jedi, which is weird because we were sworn not to sire children or have attachments of any kind." And I also sort of assumed the Order was dying out already when Darth Vader betrayed and murdererd all of them. Otherwise why would the imperial officer say, "Your sad devotion to that ancient religion..." ? According to the new universe, he would have been a youngling when the Jedi were superheroes fighting off armies singlehandedly. He would KNOW what Vader meant by the power of the force rendering technological terror insignificant. Yoda always specified that it was fear, anger, despair, and hatred that led to the dark side, not any emotion you might ever feel and so you should purge them entirely.

Now, between the Rule of Two: Do not TALK about the Dark Side and the Jedi explicitly prohibited from breeding, I have to sort of assume both orders were put in place by the same person seeking to remove all force sensitives from the galaxy. I'm pretty sure the old "Tales of the Jedi" comics didn't depict celebate monk Jedi, but in the very next generation, romance was forbidden (Bastilla Shan was originally supposed to be Bastilla Sunrider, Nomi Sunrider's daughter, but there was a copyright to the name Sunrider)

My guess: It's all Kreia's manipulation. She probably fell sometime around the generation gap between Tales and Kotor, manipulated the Jedi into putting into their dogma the anti-breeding practice and after she died, became a ghost until she could find some Sith dumb enough to institute his own practice of reducing force user numbers.

Reverent-One
2012-04-05, 11:00 AM
Yeah, the Jedi Order in the Old Republic are pretty much as evil as you can be. A weird, state sponsored cult where natural aspects of humanity are suppressed on pain of death and which recruits children from before they can give any kind of consent, almost assuredly against the will of the parents considering the extreme rarity of those sensitive to the force.

Huh, that's an appropriately conspiracy-theorist post coming from someone with a Question avatar.

hamishspence
2012-04-05, 11:35 AM
I don't see that anywhere, and even if it did, the only source on that page is The Jedi Path manual, so you'd confirming what the book says with what the book says.

sorry- I was thinking of the Acquisition Division page- which is the suborganization of the Jedi which the recruiters report to:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Acquisition_Division

While the Jedi did seek permission from the birth parents as to whether the child might be raised in the Order, the Jedi were given legal authority to take custody of any and all Force-sensitives.

So- they normally seek permission- but they have the legal authority to take custody anyway.

Well, the law is pretty clear here then, they are not kidnappers, they are the legal guardians.

Hence the phrase "state-sanctioned". From the point of view of a parent finding the Jedi going off with their kid before any permission was given, it's kidnapping.

This actually happens in Outbound Flight- when Jorus C'baoth sends Jedi to remove an older child from their family, aboard ship, after the child has been tested and shown interest in joining, but before the parents have explicitly given permission.

lord_khaine
2012-04-05, 12:59 PM

Actualy its on pain of being kicked out of the order.

Hence the phrase "state-sanctioned". From the point of view of a parent finding the Jedi going off with their kid before any permission was given, it's kidnapping.

But the parents point of view is insignificant next to that of the force :smalltongue:

Scowling Dragon
2012-04-05, 01:19 PM

Another great one :smallsigh::
Any horrible thing in the ST universe was intentional. Even the jedis bieng outright IDIOTS is justified by PALPATINE BEING BEHIND IT ALL!

VanBuren
2012-04-07, 05:01 AM

Nonsense. Give me one good reason why a synthetic lifeform cannot be reasoned with.

Really, the only thing you might be missing out on are emotional appeals... which aren't really known for being particularly strong arguments anyway.

hamishspence
2012-04-07, 05:05 AM
Robots in the SW universe seem to simulate emotion very convincingly- getting "scared" or "angry" and so forth. Even the relatively crude battle droids.

Many of the Jedi arguments can be aimed at other groups- but the other groups aren't made to adhere to the same restrictions.

Police aren't raised from infancy in order to "preserve objectivity"- even when their chance of meeting a relative or childhood friend in the course of duty is much higher.

And so forth.

VanBuren
2012-04-07, 05:09 AM
Robots in the SW universe seem to simulate emotion very convincingly- getting "scared" or "angry" and so forth. Even the relatively crude battle droids.

Many of the Jedi arguments can be aimed at other groups- but the other groups aren't made to adhere to the same restrictions.

Police aren't raised from infancy in order to "preserve objectivity"- even when their chance of meeting a relative or childhood friend in the course of duty is much higher.

And so forth.

Yeah, but they can't do the same kinds of things that force-sensitives can do. We more or less run into a lesser form of the Mage problem from Dragon Age.

hamishspence
2012-04-07, 05:13 AM
Which is that Force Sensitives, when trained, are far too powerful for "ordinary law enforcement" to deal with- and so, need some internalized restrictions to prevent them going off the rails?

Maybe. Still, whatever it is the Jedi are doing, doesn't seem to prevent Jedi from turning. Even ones considered among the best of their era, like Dooku, turn.

lord_khaine
2012-04-07, 06:33 AM

Jedi also seems to have much higher authorithy and power, it being closer to a megacity judge than a regular policeman.

Maybe. Still, whatever it is the Jedi are doing, doesn't seem to prevent Jedi from turning. Even ones considered among the best of their era, like Dooku, turn.

And we dont know how bad things might be without those restrictions, not to mention that Doku were turned by Palpatine, i dont see what system could be made to resist his corrupting influence.

hamishspence
2012-04-07, 06:41 AM
in the RoTS novel, Dooku is hinted to have been borderline-sociopathic all his life- someone who has never regarded others as being as important as himself- or even "entirely real".

In Darth Plagueis, Dooku states to Palpatine (before he's ever had a chance to be really corrupted by him- Palpatine hasn't even revealed his Sith identity yet) that he feels the Republic needs to be brought down and rebuilt- and that he's willing to find and work with the Sith in order to do so.

EDIT:

On law enforcement- the nearest equivalent to the Jedi (both came under the jurisdiction of the Judicial Department, and often worked together) were the Sector Rangers:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sector_Ranger
especially their senior members- the special enforcement officers.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Enforcement_Officer

lord_khaine
2012-04-07, 07:10 AM
in the RoTS novel, Dooku is hinted to have been borderline-sociopathic all his life- someone who has never regarded others as being as important as himself- or even "entirely real".

In Darth Plagueis, Dooku states to Palpatine (before he's ever had a chance to be really corrupted by him- Palpatine hasn't even revealed his Sith identity yet) that he feels the Republic needs to be brought down and rebuilt- and that he's willing to find and work with the Sith in order to do so.

Aha, i though that since you said he had been considered "the best of his era", then it had also actualy been the case.
But now it turns out that this is just a case of a bad apple.

On law enforcement- the nearest equivalent to the Jedi (both came under the jurisdiction of the Judicial Department, and often worked together) were the Sector Rangers:

And these guys still doesnt have the mind-manipulating abilities that most jedi posses.
Those alone is enough to make me belive that strongly force-sensitive people should not be allowed to run around as they please.

hamishspence
2012-04-08, 07:23 AM
A bad apple that the Jedi

A: failed to spot
B: considered the best of their era (Yoda: Dark Rendezvous).

page 9:

"Mm. Thinking of students, I am. Best then I should go into battle with him in whom the Force is strongest, hmm? With young Skywalker, think you?"

"He's not polished," Ilena said.

"And too impulsive," Mace added.

"Hm," Yoda stirred again with his stick. "Then best of all would be the strongest student, yes? Wisest? Most learned in the ways of the Force?" He nodded. "Best of all, Dooku would be!" His eyes found the other Jedi, one by one: and one by one, they looked away. "Our great student!" Yoda's ears flexed, then dropped. "Our great failure."

And these guys still doesnt have the mind-manipulating abilities that most jedi posses.
Those alone is enough to make me belive that strongly force-sensitive people should not be allowed to run around as they please.

Watching over them is one thing- denying them the same rights as any other citizen of the Republic, another.

SoC175
2012-04-08, 09:33 AM
Otherwise why would the imperial officer say, "Your sad devotion to that ancient religion..." ? According to the new universe, he would have been a youngling when the Jedi were superheroes fighting off armies singlehandedly. Yeah, that sound really strange nowadays. The jedi are gone for less than two decades and people are talking about them as if they were gone for two centuries.

hamishspence
2012-04-08, 09:51 AM
It is odd. Whatever propaganda campaign Palpatine mounted against the Jedi must have been pretty dramatic.

As early as the RoTJ novelisation, Vader's face is described as having "not felt the sunlight in two decades"- so that timeline has been around for a long time, it isn't a sudden prequels-retcon.

lord_khaine
2012-04-08, 11:11 AM
A bad apple that the Jedi

A: failed to spot
B: considered the best of their era (Yoda: Dark Rendezvous).

That just means the apple were rotten at the core.

Watching over them is one thing- denying them the same rights as any other citizen of the Republic, another.

Well, as the saying goes, "the need of the many..."

Also, the problem is that they are not the same as any other citizens of the republic, but i dont see what rights are denied them, if they cant handle the rules and regulations of the jedi, then it seems clear they are free to drop out when they get older.

hamishspence
2012-04-08, 11:31 AM
Problem being, if the reason for dropping out is "I want to raise my kid" the Jedi have the power to say "No you can't- we claim custody".

What's interesting is that there's at least one splinter faction of Jedi (the Altisian faction) that has zero problem with families, training adult Force Sensitives as Jedi, and so forth.

That just means the apple were rotten at the core.

The Jedi's inability to spot something wrong with Dooku, until it was too late, may suggest something was wrong with the Jedi Order itself.

Xondoure
2012-04-08, 01:05 PM
Problem being, if the reason for dropping out is "I want to raise my kid" the Jedi have the power to say "No you can't- we claim custody".

What's interesting is that there's at least one splinter faction of Jedi (the Altisian faction) that has zero problem with families, training adult Force Sensitives as Jedi, and so forth.

The Jedi's inability to spot something wrong with Dooku, until it was too late, may suggest something was wrong with the Jedi Order itself.

Which there was. Fear of fear is still fear. And you know what the jedi say about fear.

The true Jedi way is a middle path because being afraid of your emotions is the same as being afraid of anything else. Humans barring neurological defects must be allowed to feel, but to be a jedi they must have control over their emotions. Not no emotions period. The jedi order had become broken which Anakin, Qui Gon, and Dooku recognized. Problem for Dooku and Anakin is they put their faith in exactly the wrong guy. (Well, Qui Gon too, but turns out he was right in the end. Whether that was worth the untold zillions of lives lost to the empire's rule...)

hamishspence
2012-04-08, 02:04 PM
The various EU force-using factions sometimes show this- recognition of how emotions must be accepted, without letting them have full control.

Vergere's advice to Luke in Destiny's Way is heavy on this- though her advice to Jacen in Traitor has more to do with achieving greatness through passion.

It's not that surprising that she turned out to be at least Sith-influenced.

Master Djinn Altis in No Prisoners also regarded passion, in the sense of strong feelings about anything- especially injustice- as something healthy- though not to the extent of embracing the Dark Side.

Luke's Jedi Order did, especially in the Zahn books, see grief as healthy- though not something to be dwelled on.

Traab
2012-04-08, 05:55 PM
Yeah, that sound really strange nowadays. The jedi are gone for less than two decades and people are talking about them as if they were gone for two centuries.

It hasnt even really been two decades either. Wasnt vadar spending several years afterwards hunting down other jedi? Its not like they have had 20 years of total nonexistence to fade into myth. (damn thats a fast fading) The imperial troops have been involved with searching out and shooting down any jedi they could find for awhile now. That man probably was a teenager when the jedi purge took place, and grew up listening to how the jedi were wiping out the enemies of the republic. I could see LUKE treating the idea of jedi as being more a legend, since the order has been gone since just before he was born, but a man that is probably fairly close to vadars age?

Gnoman
2012-04-08, 08:35 PM
Here's the thing. There are millions of star systems in the Republic/Empire. There were something like a hundred thousand Jedi by the rise of the Empire. Most people only ever encountered the Jedi in the news, or in their versions of movies and books. It's not that hard to convince people that Jedi powers are mythical when most planets would go a long time without meeting any jedi.

lord_khaine
2012-04-09, 06:01 AM

Only if the kid is force sensitive, and if it is the case, then its a necessary thing, simply because the alternative, a force user dynasty, could potentialy enslave an entire solar system.

Or that there wasnt anything to spot, because Doky didnt grow bad before his mastery of the force would allow him to hide his emotions from other masters.

pendell
2012-04-09, 11:01 AM
It occurs to me that more often then not parents will voluntarily let their kids be taken. Raising a child who can choke a playmate with her mind because said playmate wouldn't share a toy takes the concept of 'special needs' and ramps it up to 11. You think raising an autistic kid is tough?

There's a good reason for Jedi to take force-sensitive kids, and that reason is that a force user has scary potential normal kids don't have. Even if their powers are undeveloped the force makes them capable of doing things like dropping a torpedo into a death star trench which is impossible even for a computer. It's all too easy to go from "I'm different from everyone else" to "I am a superior being, and all other people are inferior" to outright dark lord-ish megalomania.

Even if the child him/herself is an all right sort , the child will still be of interest to all kinds of people who would want to use them as a figurehead for a religious crusade, or as the fulfillment of some prophecy, or even for the pragmatic desire for their genes.

Fundamentally, a force-sensitive child is not going to have a normal life. Assuming they avoid the screwball adults in the above paragraph, the most likely outcome is to be bullied by other kid because they're different, resulting in anger and the dark side, while the parents and the local authorities are completely out of their depth in dealing with their child's special needs.

Sending them away to a special school for kids just like them where they can be made into a force for good , by people who understand what they're going through , would for most parents be the very best thing that could happen to the child.

From the viewpoint of the Jedi, any force user not under their direct control is another potential Darth Doofus. If 1000 force-sensitive kids are allowed to grow up wild, 999 may turn out fine but that 1000th may very well kick off the next Great Hyperspace War or Sith Empire or what not. Thus, they want *all* 1000 of their kids under their control.

Given these stakes, what if the parents say no? Assign a Jedi "minder" to every non-compliant child to make sure he doesn't cause trouble? Just how many Jedi does the galaxy have anyway for such duties?

So from the Jedi point of view, kidnapping children and brainwashing them in the temple is the lesser evil than allowing them to grow up "wild" and potentially kicking off lots of force-empowered cults, criminal gangs, mini-empires and what have you.

From the viewpoint of the rest of the galaxy, it's precisely this that is the problem of both the Jedi and the Republic -- that their way is the only way, and that their answer is the only answer, and that they'll impose it at saberpoint on anyone who doesn't agree with them. It's precisely this "Mother knows best" philosophy that fuelled the separatists and three years of Clone Wars to break away from the Republic. A Republic which lost absolutely none of this arrogance when it transmuted into the Empire.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

hamishspence
2012-04-10, 05:37 AM
Here's the thing. There are millions of star systems in the Republic/Empire. There were something like a hundred thousand Jedi by the rise of the Empire.

Slightly less than a billion systems with "someone living in them"

10,000-odd Jedi Knights and Jedi Masters- probably quite a bit more than that in the Service Corps and Agricultural Corps.

There's a good reason for Jedi to take force-sensitive kids, and that reason is that a force user has scary potential normal kids don't have.

On the issue of force-sensitive children- the mandatory testing and government affiliated agency to train and indoctrinate them- seems very like a Star Wars equivalent of the Mutant Registration Act.

With "Force sensitivity" in place of "the X gene" (like X-Men mutation, it can be passed on).

Sotharsyl
2012-04-10, 01:13 PM

That's in a twisted way why I preffer the Old Jedi Order to Luke's New Order the old one could be jerks without it impacting on the beloved hcaracters and thus you could have villains who raged against a imperfect system in lieu of villains who raged aginst a perfect system I find the former more fun and relatable.

Also in the Kotor comics the Jedi had some kick ass robes.

VanBuren
2012-04-10, 11:59 PM
Slightly less than a billion systems with "someone living in them"

10,000-odd Jedi Knights and Jedi Masters- probably quite a bit more than that in the Service Corps and Agricultural Corps.

On the issue of force-sensitive children- the mandatory testing and government affiliated agency to train and indoctrinate them- seems very like a Star Wars equivalent of the Mutant Registration Act.

With "Force sensitivity" in place of "the X gene" (like X-Men mutation, it can be passed on).

Unfortunately, Marvel's most recent handling of that issue turned into "Captain America Vs. Tony Stark and his Nazi crew", so that example may be tainted for some time.

Aotrs Commander
2012-04-11, 08:20 AM
Unfortunately, Marvel's most recent handling of that issue turned into "Captain America Vs. Tony Stark and his Nazi crew", so that example may be tainted for some time.

Point of order: Civil War was about super-heroes generally, not mutants specifically - some of the former have a choice in what they are, the latter do not. The Superhero Registration Act and the Mutant Registratrion Act were two different entities attempted/carried out at different times (and the latter was generally considered to be a Bad Thing in all portrails.)