PDA

View Full Version : New DM With Session in Two Days!

lothlirial
2012-04-04, 03:52 PM
I am part of a group that has played off and on for about a year now. Our first DM was basically horrible, and his campaign wasn't really a campaign, so we changed DMs. The second DM has been pretty good, but now is deciding he doesn't want to DM for now, so it's my turn to run a campaign!

Unfortunately, we just decided to have a session this Friday. That would be awesome, except I haven't really done anything yet as far as setting up a campaign. All I've done is loosely created a world and made a few maps of dungeons and such.

I have two days to make enough content for our starting session which will last several (maybe 5 or 6?) hours, and I have no idea where to start.

Help! :smalleek:

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-04-04, 03:56 PM
Run a module? There should be some free ones floating around somewhere, but that does depend on your party's number and level.

Loki_42
2012-04-04, 03:58 PM
Consider running one of these (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b&page=1)? Two days should be enough to familiarize yourself with one and work on plugging it into your campaign setting. Alternatively, be honest and say you want to try and reschedule. I think most people would rather wait for a good session than have a bad one right now. But still read through the adventures for the level you're starting in, you might find a good one. Hope I could help.

lothlirial
2012-04-04, 04:01 PM
Run a module? There should be some free ones floating around somewhere, but that does depend on your party's number and level.

I definitely have that on my radar, but I'd like to avoid it if possible. Would I be able to create my own content in about 8 or 9 hours?

Toy Killer
2012-04-04, 04:10 PM
if you have access to Dungeon magazine, they have story arcing dungeons which you could use the first adventure for and pepper the extra ones in afterward?

otherwise, i suggest the Shalaman route and use a standard adventure (OMG Orkses!) and throw an odd twist to get back to later in the game. listen to your players ideas of what they think it means, see if it inspires you, and if not, pick the best story from them.

IE: Orcs have been raiding and pillaging a poor farmers community for weeks, kidnapping the children for gods know what reason. The Orcs are easy to track down, you get to their hobble and clean house. throw in an Orc with a character class at the end. the captives are all recovered, (:TWIST:) but their right eyes are removed and are strangely passive for traumatized children.

the players will doubtlessly say evil worship to gruumush as the likely reason why they removed the eyes, but questions and discussion will break out as to why they orcs are taking human/elf/halfling captives, why are they so passive, etc etc.

basically, an intentionally placed plot hole that you will have options to fill later, so it doesn't sound like you just didn't have anything prepared. and the fact you have to point this out (being the eyes and ears of the players) essentially makes this a Chekov's Gun (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekhovsGun)

Aegis013
2012-04-04, 04:12 PM
I definitely have that on my radar, but I'd like to avoid it if possible. Would I be able to create my own content in about 8 or 9 hours?

If you've done this kind of thing before, yes. I managed to make 16 hours worth of content in 4 hours, but it was a plot + investigation with heavy combat emphasis style campaign. It depends a lot on what you want to do in your campaign.

The way I do it, is I make the overarching plot (avoid minor details), think up numerous plot hooks to introduce or drop around (because one will often be overlooked or the party won't be interested) that may or may not all lead to the same dungeon with promises of different rewards.

Then I make a rough dungeon (or encounter zone) and fill it with marks (my own shorthand thing for this) which indicate traps and monsters with book and page references so I can get the info I needed for those things back quickly, or just whatever numbers I arbitrarily made for them or what they do if they're just stuff I made up.

Then I wing most of the in between part. NPC creation is just names and quirks randomly assigned (unless it's going to be a fairly significant NPC, then there's a bit more work), and just be sure to roll with the punches and have fun. The party will always do things you do not expect them to do, so don't get discouraged when they do things you never would've thought of.

This is what works for me, what works for you might be different. So do what you think makes sense, and considering you're concerned enough to ask for help from the Playground, I'm guessing you'll do pretty well.

Be sure to relax and have fun, putting too much pressure on yourself to be good or run it well often has adverse effects.

BRC
2012-04-04, 04:15 PM
Probably, especially if this is a one-shot, and if you're comfortable with improvising. The tricky part is getting a good idea for the adventure, which the Forum will be glad to help you with.

Sturmcrow
2012-04-04, 04:35 PM
If you have a lot of experience yes you can come up with your own. I also suggest just running a module. You have enough time to modify one a little to fit your group but your time would be better spent on that then trying to make your own and throwing something together at the last minute.

One year or so my friends and I all got together but no one wanted to be the DM so we made an agreement to each take turns running modules. It worked out fine and was lots of fun so don't feel you have to shy away from a module for some reason.

Suteinu
2012-04-04, 04:52 PM
At what level are your players starting?

Do you have access to modules or such? If so, you needn't use those actual adventures; you might just make your own story and use the stats from said modules to lighten your paper work load. Make an outline of the plot as the story would happen if the PC's didn't interfere, so you can improvise on the decisions of those meddling kids!

I always ask what my players want to happen to their characters, what their goals are as far a character builds, and what other things they'd like to see happen. Then I twist their ideas in a fun but startling way. I also allow them to be as creative as they want in play, with the understanding that I will be just as creative. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

*Ahem* Remember, as GM, your job is not to have fun at the players' expense; it is to have fun while guiding your friends through a stimulating and fun-for-them session of role-playing. Take this to heart, keep an outline handy, and you will be the bomb, my son.

Ranting Fool
2012-04-04, 05:03 PM
A very important part of being a DM is knowing what the players can do, if they have already thought of/made their characters make sure you know what class features.

A DM getting confused because the heroes happen to have a spell that bypasses an obstacle then just getting flustered and saying "no you can't do that because.. err... magic!" is a bad DM (Them getting past things with spells is great, getting stuck because you didn't expect it is bad)

Could always start with a nice big dungeon crawl, think eye of the beholder :smallsmile: Oh noes! Our heroes are chucked into the sewer/maze of DOOM! a bit simple but can be good to get to grips with things

Remember how the DM you liked ran things and take a leaf out of his book

Ballista
2012-04-04, 05:09 PM
It should be noted that all DM's are to hand out epic level artifacts to every one of their characters.

But in all seriousness, if you have worked even the smallest amount on the general overlay of the campaign, (ie plot, geography, political situation, history, current events) you should post them so we can get a better understanding of what you're trying to do.

Just remember, RAILROADING IS BAD (unless the players consent:smallbiggrin:)

lothlirial
2012-04-04, 05:12 PM
At what level are your players starting?

Level One.

Thanks everyone for the good advice. The better DM is actually going to work with me tomorrow on all of this for a couple hours, so that will help. Keep all of your awesome help coming! :smallsmile:

BRC
2012-04-04, 05:23 PM
Just remember, RAILROADING IS BAD (unless the players consent:smallbiggrin:)

If I may elaborate on this, certain groups have different tolerances for Railroading. Some groups look for guidance from the DM, others will naturally test the bounds of what you've created and will be disappointed if you try to curtail their exploration. Remember, Railroading is not saying "There is a wall there", it is saying "There is a wall everywhere BUT there". The best way to avoid railroading is simply to know your players, know the characters, and make sure the path you want them to take is the one they would be inclined to take anyway.

Now the good news is that Level 1 is easy. Players don't have access to the spells and abilities that they get later on which can ruin a DM's plans.

lothlirial
2012-04-04, 05:25 PM
But in all seriousness, if you have worked even the smallest amount on the general overlay of the campaign, (ie plot, geography, political situation, history, current events) you should post them so we can get a better understanding of what you're trying to do.

The characters start out in a large Lawful Neutral city on the edge of a large magical oasis in the middle of a huge desert. Major powers are the emperor (the empire extends west into the mountains, where thar be dwarves) and the wizards guild, whose headquarters are near the city but the organization extends almost everywhere on the continent.

I'm planning on starting the characters off being brought together in some way by the wizards guild, and eventually bringing the players into a major plot line involving the lost civilization under the sand, but that won't be for several levels. For now I'd like to just familiarize the players with their characters, do some fun mini-quests and such. I want my players to feel like they are gradually becoming more powerful, and only introduce that particular plot once they really do feel powerful.

I don't really have much else yet.:smallamused:

lothlirial
2012-04-04, 05:26 PM
Now the good news is that Level 1 is easy. Players don't have access to the spells and abilities that they get later on which can ruin a DM's plans.

And thank goodness for that :smalltongue:

Sturmcrow
2012-04-04, 05:30 PM
Could give them a simple assignment to guard a caravan, throw in a few bandit encounters to let them work out the kinks/get to know the characters.

BRC
2012-04-04, 05:37 PM
Do you know the characters yet? Assuming your standard group of Well- intentioned mercenaries, I would star them out doing some random favors for the Mage's Guild. Also, don't be afraid to hint at the main plot before it actually takes off.

Maybe they see a Guild Mage get accosted by some thugs in the marketplace. They intervene and chase the thugs off, the Wizard then thanks them and hires them to go retrieve a scroll the Thugs stole. (The PC's don't know it yet, but the Thugs are working for some organization that wants to stop the Wizard finding the lost civilization, the scroll in question is a map). The next couple adventures consist of violently-inclined odd-jobs for the Wizard or his friends. The PC's clear out some dire rats who infested a warehouse, they go into the desert and track down a lost book, ect. Occasionally there are hints of some mysterious outside force (In the desert they are attacked by "bandits" wearing an unusual symbol, while walking through the city they occasionally glimpse somebody following them)

Ballista
2012-04-04, 05:37 PM
Maybe some sort of small quest line that ties into the main story?

Post bounty notices around the city for whoever is responsible for murdering townsfolk and generally being a serial killer. Throw the players into a small Sherlock Holmes investigation quest line, plenty of social interaction that will help the characters relate with each other and you could easily add plot hooks and if the killer escapes, you can add him/her/it into the storyline later as an minor antagonist or maybe have em evolve into the BBEG.

Or just use more combat oriented quests like Sturmcrow suggests if the group isn't up for heavy roleplaying.

EDIT: I realized that his had no relevance to your story... maybe the killer in question is performing sacrifices with the kidnapped (then murdered) citizens in order to draw the favor of the some dark deity or demon lord in order to discover the ancient civilization which the murderer believes would allow him to have control over a resurrected/undead empire.

Ranting Fool
2012-04-04, 05:44 PM
Or just use more combat oriented quests like Sturmcrow suggests if the group isn't up for heavy roleplaying.

It also depends on how you as a DM like Roleplaying since you are in affect everyone body else in the world

Personally I like playing everyone from the saved Level 1 Commoners to the BBEG who is just down right evil to the Deranged Halfling Barbarian Krull The Warrior King (who dispite his size kicked quite a bit of arse)

Knightofvictory
2012-04-04, 06:01 PM
Congrats on the start of your DM journey! A trick I always start campaigns with- give the party members a reason to all be in the same place, perhaps they all got called into your wizard's guild because the wizards needed ye ol' well balanced party for a certain mission. Give them a chance to get to know each other, let them talk and introduce themselves. Have their employer be late so they all arrive before the quest giver does. Just when the conversation starts to dwindle, and it looks like the players are getting itchy -- ROLL INITIATIVE!!!!-- The door to the room explodes inwards, and a massive guy in rusted chainmail charges into the room!! Before you can do more than stand up, he is followed by several more men, all carrying drawn weapons! "Where is --questgiver wizard guy--!?" the massive warrior shouts. "Tell me now or I'll cut you all into pieces!!" Start to give party members a chance to explain- "Too long, DIE!!"

After the fight, questgiver wizard guy shows up and explains the men who broke in were mercenaries after the treasure the group is looking for/ thieve's guild members who hate the wizards/ debt collectors after the questgiver/ whatever you like. Then you can give them their actual first quest.

I find Introduction->fight! gets players into the action right away, and is a good way to start. I usually make the first lv 1 fight a few warriors with a fighter as their leader (maybe with a Masterwork sword?), but of course you can make their classes, and race, anything. Hope this gives you some ideas, and good luck!

Ballista
2012-04-04, 06:08 PM
A trick I always start campaigns with- give the party members a reason to all be in the same place, perhaps they all got called into your wizard's guild because the wizards needed ye ol' well balanced party for a certain mission.

WHAT??? Nothing ever good comes of any original content! Good campaigns always start in taverns!:smalltongue:

lothlirial
2012-04-04, 06:16 PM
Woah!

So many great ideas. You all have no idea how much you are helping me :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, this is one of the friendliest communities I've seen ever.

Toy Killer
2012-04-04, 06:17 PM
I find Introduction->fight! gets players into the action right away, and is a good way to start. I usually make the first lv 1 fight a few warriors with a fighter as their leader (maybe with a Masterwork sword?), but of course you can make their classes, and race, anything. Hope this gives you some ideas, and good luck!

Hard to argue with Chandler's law huh?

lothlirial
2012-04-06, 09:24 PM
Well we had the session today, and it went great! Certainly much better than I expected, even though I felt like I was mostly making things up as I went, even with some things planned out.:smallamused:

About halfway through our session, the players were staying at an inn. The paladin (my old DM) had detected evil in a gnome on the way in, and our cleric (of Nashaal, the sand god I made for our campaign) decided to go try and talk to him.

Now, I'm not the greatest at improvising unusual conversations like that (anything to do with an evil gnome is interesting), so I did the first thing that came to mind. The cleric begins, "How are you doing?" "." "Umm... can I sit here?" "[same noise, but longer]." The gnome starts rubbing an object in a sack he has. The party, rather confused, starts trying to figure out how to talk to him. They figure that's just my messed up interpretation of the Gnome language or something. When they realize that is not the case, they retire (the cleric barricades [I]his door), though the elf ranger stays up drinking. (he has decided he's going to make the most of his only needing four hours of trance.)

This is where the fun starts. The ranger starts trying to convince the gnome to talk to him. I think they may have figured he was important at this part of the campaign. Anyway, he doesn't give up on the gnome like our cleric did. Suddenly the gnome decide's he's had enough. He reaches into his sack, grabs a small (not very small for a mole) mole (yes, it really is a mole) and throws it at our ranger's face, which it is content to take a huge bite (1d3) out of. This wakes up our paladin and cleric, who both rush downstairs to join the fight (the cleric takes a couple extra rounds to unbarricade his door). Soon the mole is killed, but the gnome (the boss that he is) takes out another mole! Soon the paladin and ranger have knocked the gnome unconscious with nonlethal damage, but unfortunately for them, as the gnome falls, the ten other moles he had in the sack jump out in a frenzy. A massive battle ensues right inside the inn involving the remaining 10 moles and 3 adventurers. By the end of the battle, one mole had been risen as a zombie under the command of the cleric and subsequently killed by other moles.

I really think i'm going to like being a dungeon master... :smallwink: