PDA

View Full Version : The Demirci: A 3.5 warrior/crafting race PEACH it please!!!

Empedocles
2012-04-04, 04:09 PM
Earlier today, I received a request to make an orc/zshar hybrid race from EdroGrimshell. The zshar is a unique, crafting race that you should look at here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193627) if you haven't seen it before, before reading about the demirci.

The Demirci
http://i.imgur.com/CZ2Cc.jpg
"The demirci. Strange race, them. Cautious, but calculating, and the best damn warriors and craftsmen you'll ever find!" -a dwarf traveler describing his interactions with a pair of demirci mercenaries.

The demirci are a hybrid race born from war. Orcs are not known for their ingenuity, so when wartime comes it is the slaves who must design and create their weapons. And there are no better crafter then the zshar. So the orcs kidnap the zshar when war comes, enslave them, and from these slaves and their orc masters the demirci are born.
Personality: The demirci are a patient race who spend more time observing the world around them then interacting with it. When they do interact with it, they are meticulous and seem to approach it as an unfriendly puzzle. Many describe them as cautious and calculating. When called to battle demirci unleash more of their orcish ancestry, snarling and barking savagely.
Physical Description: Demirci favor their zshar ancestry, for although they are less reptilian in appearance they retain the elegance and unusual skin colors of those ancestors. However, they are built more like orcs, intimidating to say the least, and some retain slight stubs where orcs have tusks.
Relations: Orcs view the demirci as good for nothing more than making them shiny new weapons, and even when the a demirci hasn't been enslaved by an orc the relationship between the two races is strained to say the least. Other races, although suspicious due to the demirci's orc ancestry, usually find themselves willing to try and get along with the mysterious species.
Alignment: Most demirci are neutral, either living enslaved by orcs or being simple warriors. Both good and evil demirci are rare, and those demirci that are evil often massacre orcs and are therefore not hated as much as they really should be.
Demirci Lands: The demirci have no lands to call their own. Many grow up enslaved by orcs, and those that don't are lonely wanderers. Few have the "seeking for a homeland" mentality though, and many of the wanderers are truly content.
Adventurers: Demirci usually adventure because as wanderers, they see nothing better to do. Few do it for riches, as their crafting skills can bring them that readily enough, but the few good demirci there are will sometimes try and liberate their fellows from orc enslavement.

Demirci Racial Traits
+2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom. Demirci are a remarkably hardy race especially from their time in the forges (much like dwarves) and from their history of enslavement, but their detached personalities cause them to often be rather unaware.
Medium. As medium creatures, demirci have no special bonuses or penalties based on size.
Base land speed 30 feet.
+2 racial bonus on all Craft checks
I Made That: A demirci can select any one weapon at 1st level. He is automatically proficient with it, and he gets an additional +2 racial bonus on Craft checks made to make a weapon of the same type.
Weapon/Armor Intricacies: A demirci gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls with weapons he crafts, and the Max dexterity bonus for armor he crafts is increased by one.
Naturally Psionic: Though few demirci realize their potential, the race as a whole has inherited the zshar's psionic proficiency. Demirci gain one bonus power point every level.
Automatic Languages: Common, Orc. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Goblin, Undercommon.
Favored Class: Psychic warrior.

New Racial Feats

Internal Alchemy
Prerequisites: Demirci.
Benefits: The demirci grows more fully into his zshar heritage. He gains the internal alchemy ability as a zshar would.
Special: Taking this feat allows the demirci to take any feat with "zshar" as a prerequisite.

Nuances of the Maker
Prerequisites: Demirci, Craft (weaponsmithing and/or armorsmithing) 4 ranks.
Benefits: The bonus to attack rolls a demirci receives from the Weapon/Armor Intricacies racial ability is increased by one, and the increased maximum dexterity bonus is also increased by one.

Empedocles
2012-04-04, 04:17 PM
The Demirci Paragon

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Power Points/Level

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|The Life Within, Divided Ancestry|

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Ability Boost (+2 Strength), Bonus Zshar Feat|

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Resin Producer|

[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10

Class Skills:
Appraise, Craft, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Forgery, Intimidate, Jump, Profession.
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A demirci paragon is proficient with simple and martial weapons, all armor, and shields (but not tower shields).

Power Points: A demirci receives 1 bonus power point at each level. He does not gain the ability to manifest powers from these power points alone though.

Divided Ancestry: Demirci paragons can also take levels as an orc paragon or as a zshar paragon, but not as both.

The Life Within: At 1st level, demirci paragons receive Internal Alchemy as a bonus feat.

Bonus Zshar Feat: At 2nd level a demirci paragon receives one racial feat usually only available to zshar as a bonus feat.

Resin Producer: Starting at 3rd level, the amount of clay and web resin a demirci paragon can produce with one power point is doubled. Note that two doublings equals a tripling and three doublings equals a quadrupling.

Designer's NotesThis paragon class was a bit of a challenge. I tried very hard to make it something that could logically progress as a Psychic Warrior, or similar class, if a PC, but would not be out of place as either a pure fighter or a psionic artificer. Also, would like to thank EdroGrimshell both for asking me to make this, since I'm now very proud of it, and for making the resin producer ability :smalltongue:

EdroGrimshell
2012-04-04, 04:24 PM
That is perfect, I love it almost as much as the Zshar themselves. However, i will say that it should have something like Weapon/Armor Intricacies, granting a +1 bonus on attack and/or damage rolls with weapons he crafts, and a +1 Max Dex or reduced ACP with armor he crafts, maybe with a racial feat to boost it to +2 with weapons and armor made from his resins with the feat

Empedocles
2012-04-04, 04:38 PM
That is perfect, I love it almost as much as the Zshar themselves. However, i will say that it should have something like Weapon/Armor Intricacies, granting a +1 bonus on attack and/or damage rolls with weapons he crafts, and a +1 Max Dex or reduced ACP with armor he crafts, maybe with a racial feat to boost it to +2 with weapons and armor made from his resins with the feat

Interesting. I'm more inclined to give them psionic abilities, if anything, but I'll think about a Weapon/Armor Intricacies thingy. :smallsmile:

Ziegander
2012-04-04, 11:45 PM
This is a thing of beauty. You've done it again! You make me want to play Orc characters! This is almost inconceivable (4e did it with their awesome Half-Orcs). Can you work on a rewrite for the terrible Half-Orc/Half-Human? The one we got in the PHB is garbage.

Empedocles
2012-04-04, 11:48 PM
This is a thing of beauty. You've done it again! You make me want to play Orc characters! This is almost inconceivable (4e did it with their awesome Half-Orcs). Can you work on a rewrite for the terrible Half-Orc/Half-Human? The one we got in the PHB is garbage.

Could it be? Another request? :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Although, I am thinking I should stick to orcs...my Zelda races came out a little weak :smallfrown: I'll get to work on a completely re-done half-orc :smallwink:

Thanks for the compliments on this race by the way :smallredface:

Ziegander
2012-04-06, 12:42 AM
This hasn't gotten enough love. Which is a shame, because it is just as awesome as the Voldur and the new Half-Orc. Bump for great glory!

Empedocles
2012-04-06, 12:52 AM
Haha thanks :smallsmile: I will say that this will probably get less love just because it's already based on a homebrewed race. That's nothing against EdroGrimshell's zshar, which I honestly think is better than this, but it is true that people are less likely to get into something they know nothing about :smallfrown:

EDIT: Although, if you want to talk about my races that got no love...try my kelgrym :smallfrown:

LrdoftheRngs
2012-04-06, 02:24 AM
This race looks really good, and the whole "snarling and barking when in battle" thing got me thinking. What if the Demirci had a tendency toward rages when injured. I seem to remember a Barbarian variant where it automatically went into a weaker version of a rage whenever it reached low health, and that could be refluffed a bit and worked into this race. Although stubbing its toe might be disastrous to everyone around it :smallbiggrin:. I like the idea of a former slave race, but there is one thing that I didn't see in your description: How do the Demirci escape orcish captivity? I think that answering that question would bring about a ton of new opportunities. Whether it was a revolt, an elaborate escape plan, or just plain jumping the fence and running could really show an individual's, and on a larger scale, a race's personality.

Empedocles
2012-04-06, 02:28 AM
Ohhhh that last idea is a GOOD one! I need to sleep on it though...

EdroGrimshell
2012-04-10, 11:41 AM
reserved for racial paragon class

Can't wait to see the paragon class, you did really good with the other's you've made so far

Empedocles
2012-04-11, 06:33 PM
Can't wait to see the paragon class, you did really good with the other's you've made so far

Glad to hear it. Been a bit of a delay as I try to decide wether the paragon class with focus on crafting, fighting, or both (maybe crafting with full BAB progression...)

Ziegander
2012-04-11, 06:39 PM
Glad to hear it. Been a bit of a delay as I try to decide wether the paragon class with focus on crafting, fighting, or both (maybe crafting with full BAB progression...)

Definitely both. Allow them to take magic item creation feats as if they were a caster with CL equal to BAB. Then maybe give them a Craft Reserve starting at 3rd level, like an Artificer, that increases with BAB?

Weapon Aptitude (like the version I use on my Veteran class) at 1st level and a bonus fighter feat at 2nd? Int +2 at 3rd?

EDIT: Though, I don't know, maybe you want to highlight the Zsharran resincrafting abilities more.

Empedocles
2012-04-11, 10:24 PM
Definitely both. Allow them to take magic item creation feats as if they were a caster with CL equal to BAB. Then maybe give them a Craft Reserve starting at 3rd level, like an Artificer, that increases with BAB?

Weapon Aptitude (like the version I use on my Veteran class) at 1st level and a bonus fighter feat at 2nd? Int +2 at 3rd?

EDIT: Though, I don't know, maybe you want to highlight the Zsharran resincrafting abilities more.

I think I'm going to highlight the resincrafting.

Empedocles
2012-04-26, 09:53 PM
GUESS WHAT??????????

Paragon finally got made :smallbiggrin: PEACHes on it are very much appreciated.

EdroGrimshell
2012-04-26, 11:29 PM
Looks good, and with divided ancestry you could actually get Focused Crafter with these guys, which is ideal for a warrior with their Weapon Intricacies racial ability added in, could have a weapon he can wield in an instant that he knows like the back of his hand.

Empedocles
2012-04-26, 11:43 PM
Looks good, and with divided ancestry you could actually get Focused Crafter with these guys, which is ideal for a warrior with their Weapon Intricacies racial ability added in, could have a weapon he can wield in an instant that he knows like the back of his hand.

That's actually kind of awesome... :smallbiggrin:

I was hoping to have this be a relatively higher powered racial paragon class. Success? Failure?

EdroGrimshell
2012-04-27, 08:46 AM
That's actually kind of awesome... :smallbiggrin:

I was hoping to have this be a relatively higher powered racial paragon class. Success? Failure?

I'd say success, it's not really more powerful, it just fits particularly well with the race.

This actually gives me an idea for a Demirci Racial PrC akin to the Zshar Infuser, the Demirci Forgemaster. It'd make them experts with any weapon or armor they specifically make, as well as infusing the weapon or armor with their own personal essence to improve them while they're psionically focused.

Though now i want to see a Dwarf/Zshar hybrid, no psionics without racial feats, just pure skill.

Empedocles
2012-04-27, 08:50 AM
Though now i want to see a Dwarf/Zshar hybrid, no psionics without racial feats, just pure skill.

Would you like to see my take on that? It almost went that direction with this race actually so I have some ideas as to what to do with it.

EdroGrimshell
2012-04-27, 09:45 AM
Would you like to see my take on that? It almost went that direction with this race actually so I have some ideas as to what to do with it.

If you don't mind taking another request, I would indeed like to see your interpretation. Although, i did come up with an interesting idea to replace internal alchemy that i'd like to see used: The race would constantly produce a metallic substance from their bodies instead of resin, which would create small nodule and protrusions that could be pulled off, smelted down, and forged like any other metal.