PDA

View Full Version : Aberrations?

Jergmo
2012-04-04, 05:44 PM
I'm running a campaign that is presently very focused on a cult geared around aberrations. I have Lords of Madness, the monster manuals, Fiend Folio, things along that nature which contain aberrations here and there, but there don't seem to be enough!

Granted I will be designing some aberrations of my own, but does anyone know of other books, no matter how obscure, which contain aberrations or are focused on aberrations other than LoM? I would appreciate any help in locating such books.

Toy Killer
2012-04-04, 05:50 PM
When I make campaigns, I find myself putting aberration and psionics together, because they have a similar feel to them.

you could put a scholarly feel to the origin of the abhorrent creation of psionic together into one cohesive force. and when people encounter gibbering mouthers and carrion crawlers, they can expect a psion not to far off the distance.

Beyond LoM and the various MMs and the like, there's really not much beyond, unfortunately.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2012-04-04, 05:54 PM
Check the Monster Manuals by type. There are a ton in MoF and the other Monster books. Check the list of offi

Ballista
2012-04-04, 05:58 PM
When I read aberration, I immediately thought: Kython! It's seriously my favorite monster out of all the ones I know.
Check Book of Vile Darkness and Underdark, there's bound to be some aberrations somewhere.

Toliudar
2012-04-04, 06:02 PM
Adding the pseudonatural template (the watered down one from Complete Arcane) can also dramatically increase your range of aberration options.

Vizzerdrix
2012-04-04, 06:12 PM
Dragon Magazine 330 has a few new ones, and some spells that relate to Aberrations as well.

Jergmo
2012-04-04, 06:46 PM
Thanks, guys, this is very helpful. :smallsmile:

Psionics are pretty heavily involved already. There's a lovely aberration cult that's delving deeply into body horror. They've been gathering psionic potentials and training them towards being egoists with a bunch of telepathy powers, for the purpose of bearing aberration spawn. Example:

Mother-to-Be: 3rd level human egoist. CR: 3 - True Neutral
HP: 23 Init: +0 AC: 12 (+2 natural)
Attack: Unarmed strike -2 melee (1d3-1)
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +4
Str 8, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 12
Skills: Balance +10, Autohypnosis +9, Concentration +8, Heal +7, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +6, Knowledge (psionics) +6, Spot +6
Feats: Aberrant Blood (tail), Autonomous, Durable Form, Bestial Hide, Warped Mind, Inhuman Vision
Darkvision 30 ft.

Power Reserve: 19 points
1—attraction, entangling ectoplasm, force screen, mind thrust, vigor; 2nd—biofeedback, sustenance.

Flaws: Autophobia (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Autophobia_%283.5e_Flaw%29), Noncombatant

Haha, d'aww...little eyeball beholderkin, you're a fierce little guy, aren't you? Cause fear, daze, mage hand, ray of frost...adorable.

Andorax
2012-04-05, 12:50 PM
Any specifics/limitations on setting? Eberron is very "aberration campaign" friendly in that it has:

1) It's own version of the far realm, that's been knocked "out of orbit" and sent away, with various seals and arcane devices intended to keep it away (Xoriat).

2) An order of Orcish druids (Gatekeepers) that work to protect the world from aberrations.

3) Powerful (Balor-powerful) arch-aberration boss creatures (Daelkyr) that are responsible for creating and/or controlling all the various types of aberrations that are stuck here from when Xoriat went away. Their reality-distorting labratories and hordes of aberrant followers are all still very much intact and active. Modified goblin and hobgoblin races provide rank and file humanoid-ish aberrations that serve them.

4) An underdark-like realm that is largely the domain of the aberrations and aberration-cults, and a major economic incentive (Khyber shards) for surface worlders to come snooping around.

And that's without delving into the whole entire other race of aberration-like outsiders (Quori) and their own separate plane of existance (Dal Quor).

Jergmo
2012-04-05, 02:04 PM
The setting is of my own design, so the only limitations are what I deem reasonable. The only Eberron book I have is Races of Eberron - but my resources aren't too limited. I'd appreciate any help with identifying these Eberron books.

Particle_Man
2012-04-05, 02:19 PM
The phrenic template can make anything weird. A bear with glowing green eyes that tries a psychic crush can be unnerving.

Also, Chaos Beasts; Slaadi; All that Chaotic Neutral outsider stuff is a kissing cousin to aberrations.

Or you can flavour text reskin stuff, like a "medusa" that has eyeballs on the ends of tentacles on her head and if you look at her you have to save or your own eyeballs flyout of your head on tentacles, detach from you and attach to her head (blinding you, by the way). Hell, refluff the sprites (with a cause insanity angle) and you could be surprisingly horrifying.

I suppose there is the Alienist prestige class too.

You might also look at the Cthulhu d20 book. Set in the 20th century but it has ways of adapting things. I mean, what the hell might as well bring the Originals into play.

Occasional Sage
2012-04-05, 02:20 PM
Check the Monster Manuals by type. There are a ton in MoF and the other Monster books. Check the list of offi

Seriously, please stop doing this.

mattie_p
2012-04-05, 02:33 PM
Adding the pseudonatural template (the watered down one from Complete Arcane) can also dramatically increase your range of aberration options.

I second this motion. Technically not aberrations, they are outsiders, but totally weird enough that it should be equivalent in feel, if not in mechanics.

Larkas
2012-04-05, 02:40 PM
I think you'll find this helpful:

Consolidated Monster Index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters)

Just input Aberration in the "Search by keyword" box and hit go. 241 results, not too shabby :smallsmile:

Malimar
2012-04-05, 03:05 PM

Consolidated Monster Index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters)

Just input Aberration in the "Search by keyword" box and hit go. 241 results, not too shabby :smallsmile:

This is basically the response I was going to make.

But I'll pick out a group of aberrations (and constructs) in particular that I love so much words cannot express: MM5's Mind Flayers of Thoon. In my campaign, I've got a cult of Mind Flayers of Thoon working with Grells to achieve vaguely-defined Mysterious Objectives (among other things, there's a nice visual synergy between Grells and Stormclouds of Thoon).

Also, consider obyriths. Ekolid and Sibriex in Fiendish Codex I, Draudnu in MM5. They're Outsiders, but conceptually they're even more aberrant than most Aberrations are.

Also, Astral Kraken in the Planar Handbook. Vermin, but pretty aberrant. Could also consider other vermin, like rot grubs or giant and dire maggots.

And, for that matter, just about any Ooze. And Spawns of Juiblex (ooze-like water elementals). And certain plants.

Greyfeld85
2012-04-05, 03:09 PM

Another website you can use is this one. (http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/) I'm only showing 131 hits for aberrations on that site(don't know which books aren't in its library, sorry), but it's the one I tend to use, since there are a ton of filters you can use to find that one specific monster type you're looking for.

Larkas
2012-04-05, 03:14 PM
Another website you can use is this one. (http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/) I'm only showing 131 hits for aberrations on that site(don't know which books aren't in its library, sorry), but it's the one I tend to use, since there are a ton of filters you can use to find that one specific monster type you're looking for.

Well, it certainly has something to do with duplicated entries. For example, in my link you'd find:

Psurlon LoM 162 Aberration Varies
Psurlon MM2 171 Aberration Varies

There are two entries for monsters found in more than one book. I don't know if this accounts for the whole difference, though. Regardless, that's a nice site you have there! Bookmarking it :smallsmile:

I just wish there were something like it for Dragon and Dungeon Magazines. The DragonDex has great lists, but only on articles, not on its contents.

Jergmo
2012-04-05, 03:52 PM
Alright, thanks again for the help, guys. It's been a while since I've been active on the forums, but I have a ton of other books available if any of you need help finding something in the future. Just PM me!

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2012-04-06, 09:51 PM
Seriously, please stop doing this.I'd love to. Unfortunately healthy thought isn't allo

Darth Stabber
2012-04-06, 11:02 PM
XPH is also a good source.

Heroes of Horror offers Boneleaf and Corruption Eater, and the Phantasmal Slayer is weirder than most aberrations. Tainted minion and Tainted Raver could modded to fit the bill for certain types of insane cultists.

Also look up some of the weird outsiders (particularly chaotic ones), and fey.