PDA

View Full Version : Help with pricing permanent Ironwood armor.

Dhx711
2012-04-04, 06:08 PM
Hey folks

I'm creating a 7th lvl character (1 Fighter/ 5 Druid Goliath) to replace my recently deceased character in an ongoing campaign and I was wondering how costly it would be to pay to have an Ironwood Breastplate +1 made. I figured I'd be paying a druid for the casting of the Ironwood Spell then a Sorc/Wizard to a permanency spell.

Any though on what each of those 2 spells would cost to have cast.

7,000 gold would be my limit for want I'm willing to spend.

Jeraa
2012-04-04, 06:23 PM
Ironwood is not on the Permanency list, so you can't make it permanent.

However, if you could make it permanent, the Player's Handbook has a chart for spellcasting services. Cost is (Spell level x 10) x caster level.

Ironwood is a 6th level spell, so hat is 660gp. Permanency is 5th, so 450 gp. The other 6th level spells that are on the Permanency list cost 3,000xp to make permanent. 1xp is worth 5gp, so that would be an additional 15,000gp.

Combine the costs, that is 16,110gp. Plus the cost of the wooden armor that the Ironwood spell is cast on. Plus, a dispel magic spell can remove the permanency + ironwood, leaving you with just normal wooden armor.

Or, if you have access to the Arms & Equipment Guide, just make it out of Bronzewood. Only +4000gp. Or elven darkleaf (wood, but also works similar to mithral armor).

Voyager_I
2012-04-04, 06:28 PM
Get Dragonhide. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#dragonhide) It's only double the price of a regular Masterwork item, isn't made out of metal, and can't be dispelled.

That means you can get a Masterwork Dragonhide Breastplate for a cool 700 gp. Hell, Full Plate would only hit 3,300.

Anxe
2012-04-04, 06:35 PM
Actual cost of production is quite high, but when compared to the usefulness, quite low. I'd go with double the cost of the armor. So ironwood chain shirt would be 500 GP.

100 GP for shirt
150 GP for masterwork
x2 for ironwood.

More than that and its better to just use darkleaf or bronzewood as already stated.

Jeraa
2012-04-04, 06:36 PM
Dragonhide does have a... minor drawback. Though I have never seen it used in an actual game. Cast Resurrection of the armor, and you get a living dragon. (Assuming the scales used in creating the armor were part of the dragon when it died.)

Agent 451
2012-04-04, 07:51 PM
Cast Resurrection of the armor, and you get a living dragon.

That is awesome.

Worira
2012-04-04, 08:15 PM
Seeing as it takes 10 minutes to cast, it's hardly an effective maneuver in combat. Not to mention the 10 thousand GP.

Agent 451
2012-04-04, 08:21 PM
True, but it could make for an awesome plot device. Imagine that you are wearing the fabled Dragonhide armor of RedDeathOnWingsWhoEatsPickles, and are totally oblivious to this. Now imagine that you are also totally oblivious to the fact that there is an evil cabal of wizards who have been searching for any remains to resurrect their master for the last thousand years. Enough said.

Jeraa
2012-04-04, 08:40 PM
A Resurrection spell does take 10 minutes, but a wish spell is only a standard action:

Revive the dead. A wish can bring a dead creature back to life by duplicating a resurrection spell. A wish can revive a dead creature whose body has been destroyed, but the task takes two wishes, one to recreate the body and another to infuse the body with life again. A wish cannot prevent a character who was brought back to life from losing an experience level.