PDA

View Full Version : L5R vs D&D 3.P

Tokuhara
2012-04-04, 06:34 PM
I had one of my RPG friends suggest that for a Jade Empire-themed game, I use L5R rules and setting.

Now, having been a OA junkie since I got the book, I understand the setting. HOWEVER, I don't understand why to not just use 3.P.

So the question is, what, if any, is the difference between them?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-04-04, 06:40 PM
I have a hard time believing that any well-known (but not mainstream) game can't be better balanced than 3.5. Except for Exalted.

Sturmcrow
2012-04-04, 06:42 PM
L5R combat is super lethal.
There is a large focus on non-combat characters.

LibraryOgre
2012-04-04, 06:49 PM
Substantial.

L5R is primarily skill-based, with levels being achieved through a certain skill level, rather than an arbitrary number of XP. There are several ways to gain a rank and thus progress up your school abilities, and most involve improving your skills (though the slower method is to improve your stats, each improvement has a potentially bigger impact).

L5R combat also tends to be deadlier, as damage dice explode (roll a 10, roll again and add), HP totals are generally lower, and taking damage can substantially weaken your ability to fight.

L5R's general divorcement of martial skill from level, except in the case of characters who are martially oriented, also tends, IME, to result in a less fight-oriented game... you can be a high rank character with almost no combat ability beyond flailing wildly with an improvised weapon, whereas in D&D, there's almost always some way you can fight.

Tokuhara
2012-04-04, 07:02 PM
Okay, larger damage #'s, less combat-focus, and a chance to be one-shotted. Sounds like a joy (/sarcasm)...

Hiro Protagonest
2012-04-04, 07:03 PM
Okay, larger damage #'s, less combat-focus, and a chance to be one-shotted. Sounds like a joy (/sarcasm)...

So... D&D with less combat focus? Because you pretty much described D&D.

Tokuhara
2012-04-04, 07:06 PM
So... D&D with less combat focus? Because you pretty much described D&D.

That's what I'm getting