PDA

View Full Version : Are there any good prestige class options for shield using? [3.5]

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-04, 07:07 PM
I'm looking for any prestige classes that grant a bonus or special ability for shield users. The character is a NG Dwarf about to reach level 5 (currently a Fighter 1/Barbarian 3). I've found plenty of interesting feats for shield using, such as Shield Charge/Shield Slam from CWar and the Shield Specialization line from PH2, but I haven't seen much in the way of prestige classes. All books are available, except no psionics, and for this character I want to stay away from the more complicated stuff like ToB or Incarnum.

As a semi-related question: Is there any way to improve the usage of a tower shield (such as removing the attack penalty or enabling the shield bash maneuver), or should I keep using the standard heavy shield?

Aegis013
2012-04-04, 07:09 PM
It's not a prestige class, but Crusader is great for a shield character. JaronK has a nice thing about shield users, I've got the link handy; here you go:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1532.0

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-04, 07:21 PM
It's not a prestige class, but Crusader is great for a shield character. JaronK has a nice thing about shield users, I've got the link handy; here you go:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1532.0

Interesting builds, but as I said, I'm not too interested in ToB for this character, and I don't really see myself getting permanently enlarged.

Dungeoncrasher may be a good idea, though, so thanks.

dspeyer
2012-04-04, 07:47 PM
Perhaps the Steel Mountain school (http://age-of-warriors.appspot.com/school?school=Steel%20Mountain) can tempt you into ToB anyway?

Particle_Man
2012-04-04, 08:06 PM
Abjurant Champion? :smallbiggrin:

NNescio
2012-04-04, 08:13 PM
Bloodstorm Blade -> Captain America

Sadly, it's ToB.

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-04, 08:46 PM
Abjurant Champion? :smallbiggrin:

I'm a Barbarian with a heavy steel shield, not a Wizard with the shield spell. :smallamused:

Bloodstorm Blade -> Captain America

Sadly, it's ToB.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a comic book character. Just looking for improvements for shield bash.

Are there really no classes outside of ToB that grant a bonus to shield using?

Person_Man
2012-04-04, 08:51 PM
Guide to Shields (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123630)

My base class suggestions are Cleric, Fighter, Crusader, Paladin, and Psychic Warrior. My prestige class suggestions are Warforged Juggernaut (which get some good Bull Rush bonuses, which synergize with several Shield related combos) and the Ironsoul Forgemaster (which grants excellent universal Energy Resistance when you use a shield), plus 9/10 meldshaping and an excellent capstone.

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-04, 09:29 PM
Guide to Shields (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123630)

Thanks for the guide! Some great stuff there.

However, as for your specific suggestions....

Crusader
please no ToB

Paladin
I'm a Barbarian, I can't be Lawful Good

Psychic Warrior
NO PSIONICS

Warforged Juggernaut
I'm a Dwarf, not a Warforged :smallconfused:

Ironsoul Forgemaster
please no Incarnum

These limitations were all pointed out in my opening post. Why do people keep suggesting them? :smallsigh:

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-04-04, 10:29 PM
These limitations were all pointed out in my opening post. Why do people keep suggesting them? :smallsigh:

Because they're your only options if you want 'decent PrC' and 'Shield' as your two criteria.

Particularly Ironsoul Forgemaster, it's a great way to make your shield actually mechanically viable, by giving you enough Energy Resistance to pretty much shrug off any blastomancy or dragon's breath weapon which heads your way.

The traditional answer to "How do I make my shield-user viable without ToB or Incarnum or Psionics" is "You can't". Is that the answer you are looking for? Because it's the only other one anyone has to offer.

eggs
2012-04-04, 10:43 PM
Forgemaster, Crusader and Iron Mind were seriously the first things to come to mind. There just aren't many other ways to make shields great.
EDIT:
On review, even Iron Mind doesn't require shield use. Just heavy armor.

Beyond that, shield use is pretty limited. You can use Stormguard Warrior + Robilar's Gambit on a Shield build to get some decent damage output, but that again falls into ToB.

I'm going to say your best bet is probably Prestige Ranger after some Scout/Cleric dips, for a Swift Hunter build. It grants the TWF line without requiring very high dexterity, as well as a workable damage source for sword-and-shield fighting (Improved Skirmish+Travel Devotion is decent) and spells to support both TWFers (the Ranger spell list has quite a few gems, once you factor splatbook support) and heavily armored characters (even just picking from the low-level selections of the Cleric list, you'll find some nice things). This gets better if you work in the divine adaption for Abjurant Champion, but it's better for the concept than most shield-focused PrCs.

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-04, 10:58 PM
The traditional answer to "How do I make my shield-user viable without ToB or Incarnum or Psionics" is "You can't". Is that the answer you are looking for? Because it's the only other one anyone has to offer.

If that is the only answer available. I was hoping that wasn't the case. But it's better to say "you can't do that" then to suggest things I've already disallowed.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-04-04, 11:05 PM
If that is the only answer available. I was hoping that wasn't the case. But it's better to say "you can't do that" then to suggest things I've already disallowed.

May I ask why you are deliberately hobbling yourself with such arbitrary restrictions? Sword and board is, bar none, the worst mechanical choice for a Core PC.

Using a two-handed weapon will significantly improve your character's damage output and survivability (if they are dead, they can't hurt you). It will leverage the Strength boost from Rage much better.

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-04, 11:12 PM
May I ask why you are deliberately hobbling yourself with such arbitrary restrictions? Sword and board is, bar none, the worst mechanical choice for a Core PC.

Using a two-handed weapon will significantly improve your character's damage output and survivability (if they are dead, they can't hurt you). It will leverage the Strength boost from Rage much better.

Because I like the concept of a dwarf using a shield. It's not arbitrary so much as for personal reasons, for the character, for the challenge, for defense over offense, etc. Pick one.

And core PC? Where'd you get that idea? :smallconfused: I said all books except no psionics, ToB, or Incarnum. That's hardly core only. When I have the vast array of 3.5's library at my disposal, it shouldn't be unreasonable to decide not to include certain things. Especially things that don't fit my character concept.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-04-04, 11:21 PM
Because I like the concept of a dwarf using a shield. It's not arbitrary so much as for personal reasons, for the character, for the challenge, for defense over offense, etc. Pick one.

And core PC? Where'd you get that idea? :smallconfused: I said all books except no psionics, ToB, or Incarnum. That's hardly core only. When I have the vast array of 3.5's library at my disposal, it shouldn't be unreasonable to decide not to include certain things. Especially things that don't fit my character concept.

Eh, it just sounds like "I want to make a mechanically viable character, except I'm explicitly excluding anything that can make him mechanically viable, so I can complain about everyone giving me advice I don't want."

I see no reason ToB or Incarnum doesn't fit this character concept, but then, I've always been of the opinion that Fluff Is What You Make Of It. And the fluff on Forgemaster is pretty much exactly what your character sounds like.

But eh, it's your character. Do what you want. But no, you aren't going to find a way to make him mechanically viable without one of the banned sources. At this point, you can't even qualify for Dwarven Defender, due to chaotic alignment.

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-04, 11:37 PM
Eh, it just sounds like "I want to make a mechanically viable character, except I'm explicitly excluding anything that can make him mechanically viable, so I can complain about everyone giving me advice I don't want."

Please note that I excluded those sources before finding out that they're apparently the only ones that matter. My intent was not to complain on the Internet. I just hate when people give advice that ignores the stated requirements of the request.

I see no reason ToB or Incarnum doesn't fit this character concept, but then, I've always been of the opinion that Fluff Is What You Make Of It. And the fluff on Forgemaster is pretty much exactly what your character sounds like.

Okay, maybe character concept is not the right word. It's more like character complexity. I am currently not prepared to add martial maneuvers or essentia/meldshaping to this character, because I don't have a lot of experience with either one and because I don't want to have a ton of abilities that need to be planned out and kept track of.

Also, I'm not entirely sure if my DM fully understands the content of those books, so for now I've chosen to voluntarily refrain from using them. I didn't think it was necessary to explain the reasons for all this, but I guess people won't respect my decisions without knowing the minute details of my thought processes. Anyway, I hope this has helped to provide some insight into my request.

shortround
2012-04-05, 01:12 AM
If you're really deadset on not learning any new subsystems then I think taking Fighter 6 for Dungeon crasher seems like a good choice. Can pick up Shock Trooper, take the Zhentarim substitution level and now it looks like you actually got class features to go with all that damage sort of. If you're looking for utility, levels in the Paladin of Freedom gets you some wand usage, plus good saves if you have charisma. Finally, pretty much any Barbarian PrC is gonna help what you want to do.

Also: don't forget shield ward.

Rejusu
2012-04-05, 04:26 AM
I'm a Barbarian, I can't be Lawful Good

The Paladin of Freedom variant is Chaotic Good meaning you can easily multi-class it with a Barbarian. Provided you don't mind being good over neutral.

Also keep in mind that when people suggest things that don't fit your requirements it is because they're trying to help. I mean if you ask how to eat soup with a fork people are going to want to suggest you use a spoon instead. Having a little flexibility when it comes to character concepts is also helpful. If you're going to ask for help with a character you shouldn't nail down everything before hand. Otherwise chances are you'll just end up looking for something very specific which probably doesn't exist.

You should also take the approach of concept first, character second. Come up with the concept and then create a character to fit it. Don't come up with the character and then try and shoe horn it into a concept because most of the time you'll find you're trying to push a square peg into a round hole. In this case your concept is "shield user", but you've already defined your character as "Dwarf Barbarian". As others have noted it doesn't fit, so you have to decide which is more important to you: the concept? Or the character?

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-05, 06:08 AM
@ shortround: I'm not sure if I want to take that many levels of Fighter, but I will consider it. Thanks for the suggestion.

------------------------------------

Also keep in mind that when people suggest things that don't fit your requirements it is because they're trying to help.

I'm sorry, but no. It's because they think my restrictions are stupid, and that they know better than I do what will work for me and for my group.

I mean if you ask how to eat soup with a fork people are going to want to suggest you use a spoon instead.

As for example, comparing my request to the ravings of imbecile really helps your point. :smallannoyed:

Having a little flexibility when it comes to character concepts is also helpful. If you're going to ask for help with a character you shouldn't nail down everything before hand. Otherwise chances are you'll just end up looking for something very specific which probably doesn't exist.

I haven't "nailed down everything" at all. This is for an existing character, which I've been playing for several months, so yes, some things have already been established and cannot easily be changed (nor would I want to change them). I am not asking for theoretical build suggestions, here. Just "is there any A to help me do X?" If it doesn't exist, so be it, but suggesting that I do Y or Z instead of X is not actually helpful. If I wanted to do those things, I'd be asking about them instead of X.

You should also take the approach of concept first, character second. Come up with the concept and then create a character to fit it. Don't come up with the character and then try and shoe horn it into a concept because most of the time you'll find you're trying to push a square peg into a round hole.

Please don't tell me how to make my characters. Sometimes I like to plan a character out from the beginning, and other times (such as now) I like to start playing a character and see where it takes me. Neither way is superior to the other, and the fact that I need a little help planning my next step is not indicative that I'm doing it wrong.

In this case your concept is "shield user", but you've already defined your character as "Dwarf Barbarian". As others have noted it doesn't fit, so you have to decide which is more important to you: the concept? Or the character?

This is a massive over-simplification. Actually, the concept IS Dwarf Barbarian. So I reasoned that, because he is a Dwarf he carries a shield (I dunno, just seems dwarfish to me [please don't argue this point]), but because he is a Barbarian, it would be cool to hit people in the face with it. Please understand that hitting people with a shield is not the entire purpose for this character, I am only trying to make him a little better at it.

{{scrubbed}}

Rejusu
2012-04-05, 07:02 AM
I'm sorry, but no. It's because they think my restrictions are stupid, and that they know better than I do what will work for me and for my group.

Well if you already know what will work then why are you even asking? Asking for advice and then putting on this kind of attitude reflects poorly on you. People are trying to give you answers to your question, just because you don't like the answers given doesn't mean that you're somehow being looked down on.

I haven't "nailed down everything" at all. This is for an existing character, which I've been playing for several months, so yes, some things have already been established and cannot easily be changed (nor would I want to change them). I am not asking for theoretical build suggestions, here. Just "is there any A to help me do X?" If it doesn't exist, so be it, but suggesting that I do Y or Z instead of X is not actually helpful. If I wanted to do those things, I'd be asking about them instead of X.

I apologize here then as I was under the mistaken impression this was a new character. However it still doesn't change that you've nailed down plenty of things that can be changed. Yes what's established is established, you can't just suddenly become a Warforged. But there's plenty of suggestions here that would work with your character but you're unwilling to look into because of arbitrary restrictions. It's hard to help someone with their character if they're going to be completely inflexible about it.

Please don't tell me how to make my characters. Sometimes I like to plan a character out from the beginning, and other times (such as now) I like to start playing a character and see where it takes me. Neither way is superior to the other, and the fact that I need a little help planning my next step is not indicative that I'm doing it wrong.

Perhaps that should have been worded better. But I'm not telling you how to make your characters. I'm saying that you have to make a choice between focusing on character or concept (or choose between focusing on different concepts) when building a character. The point I was making is that you can't have everything. Ultimately you're going to run up against a point of mutual exclusivity.

This is a massive over-simplification. Actually, the concept IS Dwarf Barbarian. So I reasoned that, because he is a Dwarf he carries a shield (I dunno, just seems dwarfish to me [please don't argue this point]), but because he is a Barbarian, it would be cool to hit people in the face with it.

Well my point is still the same, I just got it backwards. Instead of trying to shoehorn "Dwarf Barbarian" into "Shield user", you're trying to shoehorn "Shield user" into "Dwarf Barbarian".

{{scrubbed}}

Your attitude serves no purpose either. At any rate considering you've vetoed pretty much everything here then I guess the only suggestion left is to take some shield feats. That's about it.

prufock
2012-04-05, 07:09 AM
@ shortround: I'm not sure if I want to take that many levels of Fighter, but I will consider it. Thanks for the suggestion.

You can always stop at Fighter 2. Dungeoncrasher damage will be much lower (4d6 instead of 8d6) as will your bonuses vs traps and for breaking things. Still, 4d6 on a bull rush. Not sure what your feat selection is, but you can do some good combos with this, if Bull Rush is something you want to do. You'd need Improved Bull Rush, Shield Specialization, Shield Ward, Divine Shield, and a level in Cleric or something else with Turn Undead; Power Attack and Shock Trooper would help.

Dungeoncrashing is kind of situational, though. Shield Ward + Divine Shield + Cleric 1 is still a decent combo. All you really want Cleric for are Turn Undead attempts, but you also get some decent 1st-level spells that can help you... though at this level you might not want to spend time buffing with 1st-level spells.

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-05, 08:04 AM
Thank you for your suggestions, prufock. As I mentioned, I already had my eye on several of those feats. I'll need to weigh the usefulness of dungeoncrashing's situation nature against the types of adventures my DM likes to run, but it might be a nice trick to have up my sleeve.

-------------------------------

Well if you already know what will work then why are you even asking? Asking for advice and then putting on this kind of attitude reflects poorly on you. People are trying to give you answers to your question, just because you don't like the answers given doesn't mean that you're somehow being looked down on.

Because what works for my group is rather broad (and not narrow as you claim), and there are a lot of options to consider. Remember that only three things are disallowed? :smallconfused:

Anyway, I am asking for prestige class options, nothing more. Instead I am getting class advice using banned sources. If you have nothing more to add, please stop.

But there's plenty of suggestions here that would work with your character but you're unwilling to look into because of arbitrary restrictions.

The arbitrarity is irrlelvant. The restrictions are the restrictions. If I want to play darts, I'm supposed to try to actually hit the dartboard. But I guess you consider throwing darts at anything to be a fair sport?

It's hard to help someone with their character if they're going to be completely inflexible about it.

I did not at any point request "help with [my] character." Only prestige class options. :smallmad:

At any rate considering you've vetoed pretty much everything here then I guess the only suggestion left is to take some shield feats. That's about it.

That is a blatant lie. I have thanked many people for actually contributing useful suggestions.

BTW, if you cast a glance at the thread title, you'll see that I've only been asking about prestige class options, NOT FEATS. :smallsigh:

-------------------------------

EDIT: To make this perfectly clear, I have not and am not asking for optimization advice, build advice, or any other form of help. I am only interested in what options there are for prestige classes that give bonuses or new abilities for using a shield. I am perfectly capable of choosing whatever option I like best, if there are any. If there aren't, that is unexpected, but I am fine with that. Please do not spam this thread with any more off-topic "suggestions." This thread is about prestige classes and nothing more, unless somebody wants to take a crack at my semi-related tower shield question.

Okay?

Otherwise, I will have to ask a moderator to have this thread closed for being a pointless waste of time.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-04-05, 08:32 AM
BTW, if you cast a glance at the thread title, you'll see that I've only been asking about prestige class options, NOT FEATS. :smallsigh:

Listen, people are trying to help you. They figure that giving you a partial match to what you're searching for (that is, helping with shields but not matching the PrC requirement) is better than not giving you anything because, as people have stated, there is nothing that will help you given your restrictions.

And as a side note, threads don't belong to the people that make them, so it's unlikely you'll be able to get it closed just because it's not going the way you want it to.

Golden Ladybug
2012-04-05, 08:33 AM
The arbitrarity is irrlelvant. The restrictions are the restrictions. If I want to play darts, I'm supposed to try to actually hit the dartboard. But I guess you consider throwing darts at anything to be a fair sport?

I did not at any point request "help with [my] character." Only prestige class options. :smallmad:

EDIT: To make this perfectly clear, I have not and am not asking for optimization advice, build advice, or any other form of help. I am only interested in what options there are for prestige classes that give bonuses or new abilities for using a shield. I am perfectly capable of choosing whatever option I like best, if there are any. If there aren't, that is unexpected, but I am fine with that. Please do not spam this thread with any more off-topic "suggestions."

Not for nothing, but comments like that just seem intentional inflammatory. There is no reason to get mad about something as small as this on the internet.

This board is home to a bunch of people who spend a lot of their time thinking about and playing 3.5, and as a group, we pretty much do our best to help each other out. It is unfortunate, but the best options for a shield based character happen to fall within the sources that you don't want to use, but there is no harm in having those options pointed out. Certainly, we aren't trying to antagonise you or subverting your restrictions out of spite. We are trying to help out as best we can.

Even though they weren't what you wanted to use, people in this thread have given you options that could potentially accomplish your goal. However, no one is forcing you to use those options, so don't worry about it too much. As you say, you are the one who gets to choose what to do in the end :smallsmile:

mattie_p
2012-04-05, 08:43 AM
I would have suggested Kensai (signature weapon - shield) but requires lawful alignment. Occult Slayer (CW) gives +1d6 damage against spell users or creatures with SLA with chosen weapon.

May I suggest Tempest from Complete Adventurer? Could be interesting but very feat intensive requirements for entry. Focuses on two-weapon fighting - which for you is weapon and shield as weapon.

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-05, 09:00 AM
Listen, people are trying to help you. They figure that giving you a partial match to what you're searching for (that is, helping with shields but not matching the PrC requirement) is better than not giving you anything because, as people have stated, there is nothing that will help you given your restrictions.

And as a side note, threads don't belong to the people that make them, so it's unlikely you'll be able to get it closed just because it's not going the way you want it to.

Not for nothing, but comments like that just seem intentional inflammatory. There is no reason to get mad about something as small as this on the internet.

This board is home to a bunch of people who spend a lot of their time thinking about and playing 3.5, and as a group, we pretty much do our best to help each other out. It is unfortunate, but the best options for a shield based character happen to fall within the sources that you don't want to use, but there is no harm in having those options pointed out. Certainly, we aren't trying to antagonise you or subverting your restrictions out of spite. We are trying to help out as best we can.

Even though they weren't what you wanted to use, people in this thread have given you options that could potentially accomplish your goal. However, no one is forcing you to use those options, so don't worry about it too much. As you say, you are the one who gets to choose what to do in the end :smallsmile:

Thanks to both of you for bringing some rationality back into this thread.

Look, I understand your points. TDF, I did state early on that I'd prefer "no results" rather than a partial match. I know I can't really control what other people post in a thread, but when people ignore my restrictions or give me feats when I ask for prestige classes, I can't help but feel like they are intentionally giving me bad or useless information. And really, if they want to have a discussion about optimizing all options for sword-and-board, they should create their own thread instead of highjacking this one that was all about seeking simple answers to a simple question.

GL, I realize things were escalating there, but it seems some people were just arguing for the sake of arguing, and that's something I just can't stand. You're right that it's not important enough to get angry over, but I also cannot tolerate having false words being put in my mouth. Maybe I'm not qualified to judge myself, but I believe I have been mostly civil during the discussions here. I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone. At most I have tried to admonish those who insisted on continuing to post unwanted, off-topic advice. Nor have I been offended by anyone else's remarks, only increasingly annoyed and frustrated.

Anyway, perhaps now this discussion on shield-using prestige classes can get back on track, or else let it die if there really aren't any such things to discuss.

EDIT: Thanks for the suggestions, mattie_p. I'll take a look at Tempest and Occult Slayer a bit later. Right now I should get some sleep. :smallsmile:

sonofzeal
2012-04-05, 09:31 AM
Wow, talk about reading into things. Tally me up under "presenting options outside your restrictions is better than not presenting any options at all". I mean, okay, not everyone likes complexity, but if a little bit of complexity went a long way towards making your concept a reality... well, isn't that sometimes going to be a good trade?

People mentioning options you don't intent to use does no harm. If it's not relevant to you, just skip it. Other people reading the thread might be interested in shield options and be more open to other sources. And you might just hear something that piques your interest enough to branch out of your comfort zone and discover something awesome.

Nobody came here to post about Ironsoul Forgemaster and Crusader because they thought your restrictions are stupid; if that's what they thought, they'd argue against them directly. They posted about Ironsoul Forgemaster and Crusader because those are great options for making your concept. And either they didn't read your full post (many people skim and/or go from the thread title when it's self explanatory, which it is in this case), or they thought there was a chance you'd be interested.

I mean, check out your wording again:

All books are available, except no psionics, and for this character I want to stay away from the more complicated stuff like ToB or Incarnum.

This implies a harsh limit on Psi, but a soft one for ToB and Incarnum. You say "no psionics", but merely that you "want to stay away from" ToB and Incarnum, not that it's an absolute necessity. So I really don't think you can blame people for getting optimistic and thinking you might appreciate particularly relevant content from there, if it's categorically superior to what you're looking at elsewhere.

Asgardian
2012-04-05, 10:42 AM
If you can get your DM to okay it

Shield Knight
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Shield_Knight_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

eggs
2012-04-05, 12:40 PM
Anyway, perhaps now this discussion on shield-using prestige classes can get back on track, or else let it die if there really aren't any such things to discuss.
Chastising posters who mention things outside your parameters, and starting fights over those parameters is a good way to destroy this thread's signal-to-noise ratio.

Anyway, PrCs that might apply:

Prestige Ranger to advance Skirmish+TWF (a decent damage engine, but requires pounce, Travel Devotion, or other free movement; fortunately, Savage Species gives Rangers pounce from the Lion's Charge spell) and Ranger spells (esp. combined with Divine Crusader or Ur-Priest), but will be slow to start from your existing build.

If feats are too tight, dexterity is too expensive or levels 6-10 look too sketchy with the Prestige Ranger option, Mystic Ranger gives the same spells at about the same rate and cuts the dexterity requirements from the TWF elements.

Champion of Gwynharwyf for group intimidation (a melee option that doesn't collapse with 1-handed weapon damage). Mix with Never Outnumbered, Intimidating Rage and Imperious Command for best results. If the feats are available, add a Prestige Ranger dip for a better Sword-and-board spell list. Decent Charisma is ideal (for Divine Grace and Intimidate checks) but not required, and Wisdom can take reliance off wands for Ranger casting (and can allow those spells to be used in a rage). Its spell list fits with a shield user pretty nicely (many spells are dedicated to taking damage in allies' place; if you can keep yourself from being hit, this can be very useful).

Chameleon would normally be a strong choice here (full Greater Mighty Wallop+spells like Wraithstrike and Lion's Charge), but it's not a Dwarf option without some tweaking (which isn't to say you can't tweak).

Hellreaver has a bunch of useful abilities for a melee character (Mettle, dimension anchor, a bunch of swift action abilities for healing and basically any numeric bonus you care about), but it favors characters who have both a good reason to pick Power Attack and decent Charisma (so probably not your S&B Dwarf, but maybe). It doesn't do anything unique for shield users, but it's a generally solid melee class.

Depending on the options you've grabbed from Barbarian, Duskblade 3/Abjurant Champion could be worthwhile. The Duskblade spell list gives a few useful abilities like flight, invisibility and debuffs, and channeling doesn't care what weapon you use. The one possible problem is that with a pounce build focused on Raging, its abilities could run into conflict (the advantage of powerful standard action attacks is basically lost on a charger and Duskblade spells don't typically work in rage).

With a Dwarf Barbarian with a focus on AC, you might want to look at a 2-level dip in Deepwarden. It replaces Dexterity-based AC boost with Constitution-based AC boost, which is both likely higher and which arguably gets around max dex armor limitations. It's not the worst for filler levels either (d12 HD, 6+Int skills, good Fort/Ref, Uncanny Dodge advancement and Slippery mind).

Otherwise, if you're grabbing the staple Shield feats, you'll probably get Shield Ward or Parrying Shield, and if the theme here is to jack AC, you'll probably have either the Whirling Frenzy or Ferocity rage variant. The combination of those two things can put your touch AC pretty high. That can make Complete Mage's spell reflection ACF (replaces Evasion on all relevant classes) a fun option (but it requires a decent dex to use more than a couple times a day).

Some of those are a bit of a stretch, but they're about as good of options as I can see for this build.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-04-05, 12:51 PM
You can always stop at Fighter 2. Dungeoncrasher damage will be much lower (4d6 instead of 8d6) as will your bonuses vs traps and for breaking things. Still, 4d6 on a bull rush. Not sure what your feat selection is, but you can do some good combos with this, if Bull Rush is something you want to do. You'd need Improved Bull Rush, Shield Specialization, Shield Ward, Divine Shield, and a level in Cleric or something else with Turn Undead; Power Attack and Shock Trooper would help.

Dungeoncrashing is kind of situational, though. Shield Ward + Divine Shield + Cleric 1 is still a decent combo. All you really want Cleric for are Turn Undead attempts, but you also get some decent 1st-level spells that can help you... though at this level you might not want to spend time buffing with 1st-level spells.

If you're suggesting a 1 level dip in cleric, may I further suggest the Cloistered Cleric variant, plus taking Knowledge Devotion as a feat (don't trade the domain for the feat, or you lose access to most of the important knowledge skills, and it's not like you won't be swimming in feats anyways). Since it's only a one level dip, you're not hurting yourself on BAB, two hit points on average isn't going to kill you, however it's an untyped and scaling bonus to damage against pretty much anything you are going to encounter. Certainly not the worst use of a feat, since you're already contemplating the dip.

As far as your domains... I highly suggest the Luck domain. A free re-roll is very handy to have when those Natural 1's start showing up. The Plant Domain nets you Entangle, which is a fun AE lockdown spell to keep opponents from fleeing before your mighty charge. Strength Domain is very dwarfy, and nets you Enlarge Person as a 1st level domain spell. Uses for self-buffing are obvious. Travel Domain's ability is a 'get out of trouble' card, or it can be used to be traded out for Travel Devotion which nets you a lot of extra mobility. War Domain is a free Weapon Focus feat.

Andorax
2012-04-05, 12:54 PM
Minor point, but Races of Stone introduces the Extreme Shield. Requires a feat to use it properly, but it's a half-step in between a heavy shield and a tower shield.

mattie_p
2012-04-05, 02:11 PM
Minor point, but Races of Stone introduces the Extreme Shield. Requires a feat to use it properly, but it's a half-step in between a heavy shield and a tower shield.

Nice catch, but extreme shields cannot be used for bash attacks, per RoS. Although I wonder if you could homebrew an exotic weapon proficiency (extreme shield) then go into exotic weapons master. But probably too feat intensive.

nedz
2012-04-05, 02:31 PM
If you were looking at TWF then Improved Buckler Defense (CWar) is probably the best War Axe and Hand Axe and Bucker option. There is another similar feat called Shielded Axe (RoS), but it restricts you to precisely to those weapons. I'm not sure that TWF realy works for your build, it tends to be better with rogues.

The Tactical Solder PrC from MinH has some interesting tank like options, but its only marginally more interesting than Fighter - so only dip if you like what you see.

I seem to have run out of ideas at this point, not that the above are brilliant. Sword and Board is an ignored combat style in 3.5

NotScaryBats
2012-04-05, 05:12 PM
Just wanted to say, as I play a shield using character, I looked at this thread and found some good results!

It helped me out, is what I'm trying to say.