PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Need help creating a Wizard

Blyte
2012-04-04, 08:12 PM
9th level
nearly any race, since it is coming from an intelligent undead and monster friendly border town.
able to lay down ranged DPS
able to create magic items for the lowest cost possible: wonderous items are a MUST.. and perhaps wands + rods.
paizo only, no 3rd party
stat array 16,15,14,13,12,11

grarrrg
2012-04-04, 08:28 PM
able to create magic items for the lowest cost possible: wonderous items are a MUST.. and perhaps wands + rods.

Arcane Builder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/arcane-discoveries/arcane-builder), it doesn't reduce Cost, but it DOES reduce Time, so you can craft more stuff/more often.

Blyte
2012-04-04, 08:38 PM
Thanks, that was one I had my eye on for sure. Are there any feats or traits that reduce time or cost that I have overlooked?

Also without being too power hungry, are there any humanoid monster races that would make for an interesting wizard?

Wings of Peace
2012-04-04, 08:50 PM
My generic advice for pretty much any PF Wizard is to specialize in the Foresight school. It's like specializing in Divination but better. It won't help with crafting but it will help with winning.

Blyte
2012-04-04, 09:03 PM
Thank you, I will look into that.

Any thoughts on the Pathfinder Savant prestige class?

It seems like a very solid prestige class, but it stunts you one spell caster level.

grarrrg
2012-04-04, 09:20 PM

It seems like a very solid prestige class, but it stunts you one spell caster level.

Like you said solid, but doesn't outright help your Crafting. You get more/better use out of crafted items, but not making them.

Soul Forger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/soul-forger) Magus gets a bonus on crafting Armor/Weapons equal to his level, and can craft in reduced time at level 7.

It's worth considering (just make sure to dip 1 level of Wizard for Arcane Builder).

Wings of Peace
2012-04-04, 09:20 PM
Thank you, I will look into that.

The Esoteric Magic part is nice and Dispelling Master is decent. My issue with the rest of the features is that they center around UMD. UMD is nice when you're not already a Wizard, since you're going to be a Wizard however you may as well just use your own spells and profit a feat for not taking Magical Aptitude.

Vemynal
2012-04-05, 12:24 AM
Also important to note:

As a Wizard, if you multiclass, you do not receive additional spells per level.

You get the *spell slots* but you don't automatically learn the 2 new spells per level. You have to find spells that fit that level.

Acanous
2012-04-05, 01:06 AM
Yup, Pathfinder made it even less appetizing to multiclass out of wizard.
Straight Wizard 9 nets you Scribe Scroll and an additional bonus feat.
Pathfinder doesn't have any feats that lower investment cost, but they did away with the XP component entirely.

So build would look a little like this:

Human Wizard [Generalist] (9)
Feats:
(R)Eschew Materials
(C)Scribe Scroll
(1)Brew Potion
(3)Craft Wonderous Item
(5)Craft Magic Arms and Armor
(C)Craft Construct
(7)Still spell
(9)Craft Rod

Forge Ring and Craft Staff both require a higher level, and you JUST squeak Rod in, but yeah. You can craft anything within your level. Being a Generalist means you can have all of the spells required. Still Spell and Eschew Materials lets you prep an escape spell that you can cast while grappled. Thanks, Pathfinder, fro getting rid of the Concentration skill, then forcing us to use it to cast while grappled >.<

Anyhow, that would get you pretty far. If you go any AT that eats your lv 5 feat, you lose still spell but keep all the crafting.

Corlindale
2012-04-05, 02:03 AM
I would not make a generalist. It's easy enough to have non-school spells prepared since you're probably crafting in your downtime anyway (they're not banned for you, they only cost 2 slots).
And generalists are usually rather inferior power-wise.

Also remember that you can usually just up the crafting DC by 5 if you're missing a prerequisite spell (except when making wands, potions or scrolls). The Crafter's Fortune spell is useful for giving you a bonus on the spellcraftt check to craft.

The only way to reduce crafting cost that I know of is the Hedge Magician trait, a flat 5% reduction.

Most powerful schools to specialize in are probably either Divination (Foresight) or Conjuration (Teleportation). Divination has better powers, but Conjuration has a far better spell list. So it's a matter of preference.

Vemynal
2012-04-05, 02:10 AM
I say go for the better powers, you can still always use conjuration spells, nothings stopping you. And there are enough good Div spells to pick 1 for each spell level.

Acanous
2012-04-05, 02:43 AM
if you're going to specialize, though, Transmutation, Conjuration and Illusion are the three strongest schools.
You folks are talking about specializing in Subschools now? Zany kids.

Blyte
2012-04-05, 09:05 PM
why does PF keep referring to "spell completion items" like it's some type of a broad category, when the only thing I can find that qualifies as a "spell completion item" is a scroll.

why didn't they just say scroll? why do they feel the need to dance around it with all this nomenclature?

the Savant's "scroll master" ability had me thinking they were going to be able to use it on wands at first read through, but no... those are "spell trigger items".. they can only use it on the all so broad "spell completion items" category.

Keneth
2012-04-06, 08:30 AM
For the sake of forward compatibility and standardized nomenclature. :smallwink: