PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of core Zelda races to 3.5 Please PEACH!!!

Empedocles
2012-04-04, 08:32 PM
Alright, so recently I've found myself relatively successful with homebrewed races (see the voldur in my sig...seriously. It's worth your time.) and I personally really liked my chosen warrior base class (Sig again :smallwink:) which is based off of Link from Legends of Zelda. So why not take some of the Legend of Zelda races and make them into 3.5 races.

A few things though, about this. I want to keep everything at LA 0 so people can actually play one of these. The races I'm going to do are as follows: the gorons, the zoras, the kokiris, the sheikah, the gerudos, and possibly the twilis. What I have now isn't complete (zora needs to be done and I really need to add fluff), but I'd like to get some feedback :smallredface:

The Gerudo
http://i.imgur.com/SOdAXl.jpg

The gerudo are a little known desert dwelling race. They are a highly militant society, although magical talent does not go unrecognized among them and is quite common. Scholars see the gerudo as something of an oddity, for only one male is born among them every one-thousand years. This male is invariably extremely powerful and becomes the leader of the race during his short lifetime. (Note: This is not meant to be sexist! It's just how the gerudo are in Zelda.)
Personality: The gerudo are wild and eccentric with remarkably powerful personalities. One never forgets a gerudo! In combat gerudo seem to revel in whatever is happening, always plunging into the thick of things headfirst.
Physical Description: Gerudo are a very tall race, bigger then humans, but are more known for their enormous hooked noses than anything else. Their skin colors are unusual, although the norm is a tan so deep it looks faintly orange. However, the older they get their skin seems to get...greener.
Relations: Gerudo are isolated by geography, but most races have trouble not liking them when they do meet them.
Alignment: Wild as they are, gerudo are almost always chaotic. One the good-neutral-evil axis, they go all ways.
Gerudo Lands: The gerudo live in isolated deserts and are almost always unified. Few gerudos live outside of these tribal structures.
Adventurers: Gerudo adventurers are extremely rare, but those that do adventure do it simply for the thrill of adventure. None do it hoping to prove anything or win riches.

Gerudo Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution. Gerudo are graceful and beautiful but have a naturally frail build.
Medium. As medium creatures, gerudo have no special bonuses or penalties.
Base Land Speed 30 feet.
+1 Racial bonus on Survival checks. Gerudo live in a desert, after all.
+2 Racial bonus on Tumble and Spellcraft checks.
Weapon Proficiency: Gerudo are automatically proficient with the falchion, as it is a weapon all gerudo receive training with from a very young age.
Favored Class: Sorcerer.

The Goron
http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/jeux/img/4797_Goron[1].gif

Goron Racial Traits
+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma. Gorons are incredibly strong and hardy, but quite clumsy, unaware, and rather awkward to talk to.
Medium. As medium sized creatures gorons have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size. However, see the Powerful Build entry.
Base land speed is 20 ft.
Powerful Build: The physical stature of a goron lets him function in many ways as if he were a size category larger. Whenever a goron is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple attempts) the goron is treated as being one size category larger. He is also considered a size category larger when determining whether a special ability can effect him (such as swallow). A goron can wield large weapons, and his unarmed attacks are treated as being a size category larger as well.
Curl Up: When a goron assumes the total defense action he becomes immobile, as he essentially curls up into a ball with his shell to defend himself. However, instead of the usual +4 bonus to AC the goron's bonus from assuming the total defense action is +7.
+1 Natural Armor bonus
+2 racial bonus on all bull rush attempts.
Favored Class: Barbarian.

The Zora
http://i.imgur.com/FcSH3l.png
Zora Racial Traits
+2 dexterity, -2 constitution. Zora are quick, but not particularly hardy.
Medium. As medium creatures zora have no special bonuses or penalties based on size.
Base land speed 30 feet. Zora also have a swim speed of 50 feet.
Amphibious: Zora are amphibious, allowing them to breath both air and water.
Zora receive 4 bonus skill points at 1st level.
+1 Racial bonus on Survival checks.
+2 Racial bonus on all Swim checks.
Favored Class: Any.

The Kokiri

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/4/9/8/8/3/ss_preview_i_28626.jpg.jpg?slideshow=true

Kokiri Racial Traits
+4 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Wisdom
Small: As small creatures, kokiri receive a +1 size bonus to AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three quarter of those of a medium character.
Base Land Speed 30 feet. Despite being small kokiri are very quick and have the same speed as an average medium sized creature.
+2 Racial bonus on Climb and Jump checks. Kokiri live most of their lives in the forest and are adept and climbing and jumping around the trees.
Fairy Companion: All kokiri have a small little glowing ball with wings, a fairy, that is their constant companion. The fairy is size fine, has an AC of 24, 3 HP, and no effective stats besides dexterity (dexterity is 24). However, a fairy is the kokiri's constant advisor, granting him a +1 bonus on all Knowledge and intelligence checks, a +2 bonus to Will saves, and a +2 bonus to one skill of the kokiri's choice.
Childish Immortality: While a kokiri stays within 15 square miles of the Great Deku Tree he was born from, he does not age. Therefore, most kokiri adventurers are only about 8 when they start adventuring. They do not suffer a penalty to intelligence though, because they Deku tree teaches them from a ridiculously young age. A kokiri that reaches the age of 15 looses the penalty to strength. A kokiri without the penalty to strength has a LA of 1.
Favored Class: Chosen warrior (Note: This is my own homebrew designed to emulate Link from the Legend of Zelda, and can be found in my signature. If you want to use this race but not the class its favored class is Ranger).

Sheikah

http://i.imgur.com/xmAQKl.jpg

Sheikah Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength
Medium. As medium creatures, sheikah have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Base Land Speed 30 feet.
+2 Racial bonus on all Hide and Move Silently checks. The sheikah are a dark and shadowy race.
Spell-like Abilities: 1/day: Disguise self. When a sheikah reaches 5 HD he also gains darkness as a spell-like ability usable 1/day. Her CL is equal to 1/2 her character level (minimum 1).
Favored Class: Rogue.

Madara
2012-04-04, 08:35 PM
A while back there was a zelda compendium in this here homebrew section. It was for Pathfinder, but obviously could easily be adapted.

I'd say the races are pretty good, but I think there are too many stat adjustments, try to keep it to 2-3. So +2 Dex -2 Con..ect :smallsmile:

Empedocles
2012-04-04, 08:38 PM
A while back there was a zelda compendium in this here homebrew section. It was for Pathfinder, but obviously could easily be adapted.

I'd say the races are pretty good, but I think there are too many stat adjustments, try to keep it to 2-3. So +2 Dex -2 Con..ect :smallsmile:

Ah. Noobish mistake :smalleek: Hmmm...I like the kokiri racial adjustments, but I'll get rid of the penalty to wisdom. Not really necessary. Also...no wisdom penalty for the goron I think. The gerudo is fine as it is IMO.

Appreciate the help!

EDIT: Forgot the sheikah race!

McToomin
2012-04-04, 11:22 PM
Personally I feel like the zora's speeds should be switched. Sure in the game they're as fast on land as Link is for gameplay purposes, but they can swim like dolphins. I think it'd fit them better to be faster in the water than on land.

Empedocles
2012-04-04, 11:25 PM
Personally I feel like the zora's speeds should be switched. Sure on land they're as fast as link is for gameplay purposes, but the can swim like dolphins. I think it'd fit them better to be faster in the water than on land.

Hmmm, true, although I don't want to make them slower then usual because of the dex bonus (which is very fitting IMO). I'll give them base land speed 30, swim speed 50. That's fast, but it's still super circumstantial.

Also, really appreciate feedback :smallbiggrin:

Madara
2012-04-05, 09:40 AM
Yeah, stick with the 30ft. move for medium size. Also, Sheikah should have a str penalty, or something. I think they're falling too high on the LA 0 scale.

As for my first character with these races, I would make a Kokiri Archivist :smallamused: