PDA

View Full Version : My pcs wanted a Dragon Bbeg...

Ganorenas
2012-04-05, 12:29 AM
Firstly, it was requested at the beginning of the game (about 5 months ago) and they all seemed just fine with it. (5 players)

Player1 Brother: started as a Rakshasa cause he always wanted to be one, and i got him SS for his birthday... (died, explained a bit in point 2)
Now playing a Troll... after some discussion, he decided to have half-green dragon that recently completed the ritual to gain the fire subtype, hes not an issue... must be cause i'm his brother.

Player2 Munchkin: Yeah, i mean munchkin, not a min/maxer like you wonderful people :smallsmile:. Letting him play a (moderately balanced, based on 8 rp) self-made race that he made for a different campaign, started as a spirit shaman and after retirement switched to Argent something in Psionics, Trouble says he always plays broken, i have not seen him be particularly broken.

Player3 Trouble: Played a leadership based Ranger that he wanted everyone to think was a bard, he dropped that character when he couldn't find "dragon tooth arrows" that dealt 3d6 no matter the bow...
So he rolled up a Half-black dragon barbarian wild elf and wanted to go Frenzy berserker, I was fine, the group was annoyed but he focused on has saves a bit and would have been just fine... until he killed/retired 3/5 of the party and i made him change chars. (He wanted to kill the Rakshasa because "It would become broken as hell"
... He thinks that he is Dm in my game :smallfrown:
Currently a build based on having so much armor that noone can hit him, which is fine with me, you all taught me a lot concerning when Ac no longer matters... :smallsmile:

Player4 Snowman: He started as a frost dwarf, no big deal, just a good old barbarian that wanted to go ranger (for fluff) and do some incarnum things. After he was killed, he decided to be a Bear themed Cleric, sentinel of blahblah the bear (Brahhi? i always forget the spelling), also not an issue, the only full caster in the group.

Player5 Story Driver: Name says it all... his character is still alive to, which is good for me :smallsmile: He kept the group going for... well the plot, on more than 6 occasions.
Playing a Whisper gnome half Tien Long Duskblade/spellsword. Probably the highest Ecl in the group, currently has most exp since he hasn't died, but is often destroyed by his dice rolls, every d20 we give him rolls 4. At least 1/3 rolls, we all think it is hilarious :smallsmile:

Secondly, I made the dragon for them to fight a few weeks or so in, so that I would have a feel for what would be challenging to their over-all builds. Shortly after, my trouble player killed Rakshasa and Frost dwarf, and forced Munchkin to retire, so i forced his character to retire also (yes due to story, only Brother was sad about his character being eliminated, the rest were ok) this left Story driver alive and with a new group... he was surprised when he got back from the bathroom (seriously, took the others less than 6min for 2 deaths and 2 retires :smalleek: ). I have been altering the boss's battle plan, but not his build... Simply because he has been able to watch them via spells or minions since the game began (reasons to watch Story driver, no reason for the others until his child [first boss] was killed)

Thirdly, they will be level 30 when they fight it (though they will have a not-so-climactic mini-battle at levels 22-25 so i can show them the Horror they were to happy to fight those months ago) and i plan on at least 3 of them having divine ranks between 0 and 2

Thats my list of excuses and an explanation :smallsmile:

Now, looking at how their current characters will turn out, and how i made this dragon... I don't think they can win at level 30 with a few divine ranks
*Story driver does plan on having his Dragon father join the battle, but since i plan on letting him make his father, i'm not expecting daddy to last long... and the boss is hinted at being noticeably stronger...

So, the Bbeg is a Shadow Dragon advanced to 55 HD, using the rules provided on the srd for continuing to advance HD, since he is immortal and all. He does have class levels, enough for full cleric casting and Hidecarved Dragon to become immune to Sonic and Fire, the leftover elemental weaknesses. (Yes, i followed the rules to have him still advance age categories, don't worry :smalltongue: )

******So... a Dragon with full cleric and full sorcerer casting, based on spell casting... Versus the group you see above at level 30, with up to 9 divine ranks between them, a dragon (probably melee based, i'm thinking 45HD and rank 0) on their side, along with whatever else they can find to find the Bbeg. Do any of you see this as impossible? I think they might be able to complete this task, but... the longer they play, the less confidence i have in them... *********

Story driver is basing everything on fighting the forces of Chaos... and i've given bold hints that the enemy will be LE

Brother is going for indestructible, which is nice... but not going to win the fight

Munchkin has the best shot, but... His abilities don't seem to be on par with the defenses arrayed against him.

Snowman... i have doubts about how well he will do in epic, and i doubt he will learn that epic spells shape the universe and save/earn/steal enough $ to develop them (or get a high enough spell craft)

Trouble... he has projected that his Ac will reach 117 at level 30, and i think that is great for him, but you've all taught me to many ways around ac for that to save him.

*Offnote: At level 8 they were able to destroy CR 11 played by the information given. At level 11 they have defeated a very tough CR 16 battle that lasted 4 sessions (about 20 total hours of gaming) that was played at about 1/3 the Int of the Bbeg.

I'll post the Dragon's stats on here if you all would like me to, but off the information given does it seem like they can win? (I should really check his CR to see if that works...)

Alleran
2012-04-05, 01:53 AM
Put them up against a Divine Rank 6 Great Wyrm Time Dragon. Just for kicks, make sure it has the Alter Reality, Arcane Mastery, Automatic Metamagic (Quicken Spell), Divine Spellcasting, Spontaneous Wizard Spells, Avatar, Know Secrets and Supreme Initiative SDAs.

Anyway, if they were remotely intelligent about which SDAs they picked for their divine abilities, then they should crush a non-deific opponent. DvR 0 might be worked out at LA +6 or so (that's what Google tells me, anyway - anybody else have a better number?), but 1+ just can't be measured thanks to SDAs.

NOhara24
2012-04-05, 02:15 AM
Time Dragons are Homebrew creature? Or are they listed in some crazy sourcebook?

Alleran
2012-04-05, 02:16 AM
Time Dragons are Homebrew creature? Or are they listed in some crazy sourcebook?
Dragon #359. They're rather... powerful.

Morph Bark
2012-04-05, 04:33 AM
Weren't those things able to time travel and survive time paradoxes and potentially could grow from wyrmling to great wyrm in just a few days due to random time fluxes?

Alleran
2012-04-05, 05:21 AM
Weren't those things able to time travel and survive time paradoxes and potentially could grow from wyrmling to great wyrm in just a few days due to random time fluxes?
Why yes, as a matter of fact.

Ganorenas
2012-04-05, 12:16 PM
I would love to have used a Time Dragon, they look amazing! :smallsmile:

But they wanted a Shadow Dragon from the get-go...

The Dragon has 7 (6) divine ranks, which is how i planned to off-set them being demigods and fighting something that, well, isn't :smallbiggrin:
*is using a Proxie for story reasons, and will not retake the divine rank for the final showdown for story reasons, hence the 7 ranks but only 6 are in effect...

Speaking of which, if he has a proxie, is he still able to use SDA from his 7th rank? I'd assume no since he handed it out, but i would like a more knowledgeable ruling :smalltongue: