PDA

View Full Version : Stab, Stab, Stab! (help with an Infiltrator)

Kridias
2012-04-05, 08:27 AM
Hello All!
Again, I am on the need of your help! I was thinking on an new character.

The main idea was going to be an dual wilder with perhaps daggers, that act on the fields of infiltration, tracking and assassination. Would have an cimmitar, and a short bow as side weapons.

I was thinking on Rogue, scout or ranger, but don't have any idea, lol.

The stats were 16,15,15,14,14,10

I just can't use the Tome of Battle.

Any ideas?

Ps: he can't be evil

Whammydill
2012-04-05, 08:34 AM
...Snippity...

Any ideas?

You should look into Whisper Gnome from Races of Stone. Among other things, they get racial bonus to hide as well as a bonus from being small. They also get Silence as a spell like ability.

Build-wise, you can always go with a Rogue/Swashbuckler build. Using the feat "Daring Outlaw" (I think) you can combine your levels of each class for purposes of advancing certain class features from both like Sneak Attack, Grace..etc. It also gives you the benefit of getting to add your INT modifier to your damage.

RMS Oceanic
2012-04-05, 08:36 AM
Your base stats will probably look something like this, regardless of what you pick:

STR 14
DEX 16
CON 15
INT 14
WIS 15
CHA 10

Apart from humans and their omnipresent bonus feat, the best common races for sneakers are elves and halflings. They both gain a dexterity bonus, and the halfling gets size and racial bonuses to the stealthy skills.

To go much further than this, I'd need to ask: What's more important to you, combat effectiveness or as broad a range of skills as possible?

Kridias
2012-04-05, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the answers!

I will give a look on the races. Something small is good, and the bonus feat is indeed something that I always loved to have.

The effectiveness I think will be the combat, but he need to be that guy that goes, kills, and leave as stealth as he can. Something like that.

I shall use those stats. :)

Otomodachi
2012-04-05, 08:50 AM
I'd like to point out that goblins get a racial +4 to move silent and a +4 to hide for being small, and are one of a limited palette of small races with a 30 ft. move speed.

Red_Dog
2012-04-05, 09:04 AM

You could always use "good assassin" variant if evil is a problem.

Factotum 5/Avenger 10 will be fairly smooth sailing, you'll que everything of Int and stack an impressive Death attack. You'll get a wraith strike by lvl5 of the Factotum, add your Int to almost everything ever and can snag some wands of Death sight and Haste in order to deathattack every round. Slapping Hitn'nRun[Drows of the Underdark] fighter in there can add dex to dmg vs flat footed people AND nets 2 feats and free +2Initiative at a cost of daily wraith strike and some skills.

To stack stack Death attack, get bracers of Murder from Drows of the Underdark, Ability focus from Monster Manual and a high Int perhaps thru a Gray Elf. Than get a Sickening strike again from drow at around level 9, or Staggering strike.

When all said and done =>
10+Int[should be 10+]+ClassLvL[10]+2+2[focus]+conditions=> ~34+ easy-peasy.
Stacking conditions is vital as the more -2s you can shove up the enemy's [B]*clears throat* special place before the death attack, => the higher the DC.

For feats, basically the best you could do, is arguably => Ability focus[Deathattack on lvl6] and the rest is really all "flavor". You need A weapon that can make an attack. Unless you are making people flatfooted thru feats [I forget of top of my head how best to do that, concealment generally is the easiest way], you might want Weapon Finesse since dmg is not too relevant [sneak attack+deathattack+posion] and dex helps your ridiculous Initiative and AC.
You can just go nuts on Font of Inspiration and just keep taking that ALL the levels aside from ability focus. You'd be surprised just HOW OP that is ^^.

I usually suggest playing aggressively with assassins [lots of surprise rounds, dirty fighting, etc.], but avenger might have issues with that in character. Well at least with target selection anyway.

P.S. Assassin are considered gimped, but IMO, you an make them work, and make them memorable to a DM[in case of normal assassins - terrifying] as long as you play to your strengths, don't shy away from UMD and discuss implications of playing one with a DM. ^^