PDA

View Full Version : DM Advice, bring my 7 year old son in to the game.

killem2
2012-04-05, 10:01 AM
My son is 7. He's way to freaking smart for his age and catches on to things faster than I've ever seen. He seemed very interested in the last couple sessions we had, and asked if he could play.

I was hesitant. Not because of any of the content in d&d. I'm more concerned of his ability to behave. He listens, he is well mannered as anyone could expect from a 7 year old.

So I let him build a barbarian because that's what he wanted. To get him a bit more excited I let him (with his allowance) buy a cultist thing from a website (it looks like a barbarian), we went through what each dice is, I mini tested him on which was which, he understand the modifiers now, we got his gold, weapons, supplies and armor. When we went down to talk about movement, he's like I already know, I can move space equal to my movement, and each square is 5 ft, so I can figure that out by counting by 5's. lol I said, ok!

He said he wanted an animal like some of the other players, so I told him to take wild cohort for his barbarian, he chose a wolf (bought a mini for that too).

Now, he is level 1. The rest of the group is right in the middle of another bandit hide out in a dungeon, and they are all almost level 4. I'm looking for advice on how I can possible get him up to say level 3, before the 28th (next session) and teach him the basics of d&d.

I'm really excited because other than video games and maybe riding his bike it is something he really wants to do with me. So I figured I should take advantage. I let him also read to himself the Player's Hanbook (3.0 since its an extra and is almost identical in every way)

Socratov
2012-04-05, 10:05 AM
you could present it ilke a tutorial, if he passes a certian type of encounter he can gain huge amounts of EXP basically bringin him up to speed in way less time then it would normally take. Do tell him it's a tutorial (or bootcamp) and that the EXP bonuses shouldn't be that big (if he hadn't found out allready) and tell him it's to make him equal to the rest of his group and helping him understand some rules better (like the grapple, trip and bullrush rules) so he can play better with the rest of the party. Have a mix of combat and social encounters and he'll have learned the gist of the game in no time :)

The Dark Fiddler
2012-04-05, 10:07 AM
Now, he is level 1. The rest of the group is right in the middle of another bandit hide out in a dungeon, and they are all almost level 4. I'm looking for advice on how I can possible get him up to say level 3, before the 28th (next session) and teach him the basics of d&d.

You're going to want to run a few solo-session for him. This presents a bit of a problem because solo-sessions are a bit hard to do anyway, but (forgive me for assuming incorrectly if this is wrong) he should be, at the very least, fairly easy to motivate. "These guys are doing something evil, go stop them!" Run him through a few battles and such to teach him the basics in practice (there is a difference between knowing the theory and knowing in practice, trust me). Maybe a non-combat encounter or two to help him understand skills better, too.

sana
2012-04-05, 10:16 AM
Run him through smaller encounters, something along the lines of tests that prove he is a great warrior of his tribe. Up the difficulty a bit for every "test" and give him the levels for completing the tests.

Hide of a dangerous animal, collecting special herbs from a cave (with maybe some skeletons, zombies or goblins).

Then to bring him to the Bandit Hideout and thus the other players make it he has to retrieve a stolen item.

It builds the great and mighty berserker role a bit, while giving him a chance to really use the rules.

Mari01
2012-04-05, 10:26 AM
Repeating the above posts. Do a couple things with him one on one to make sure he knows how to handle things in more than one way. He sounds smart, but nothing but combat tutorials might give him the idea that an axe solves everything (depending on just HOW much axe). If he's really big into roleplaying, then that will also help him get into character. Good luck!! I hope that if I have kids some day that I can do things like this someday.

Zubrowka74
2012-04-05, 10:26 AM
You might also solo-play how he meets his wolf.

Mari01
2012-04-05, 10:31 AM
You might also solo-play how he meets his wolf.

I hadn't even thought of that!

Rejusu
2012-04-05, 10:44 AM
I think it's awesome you're showing him the ropes in D&D, it's something I'd love to do with my kids... that is when I actually have any. I'm sure you've probably confirmed it already but I'd just double check the group is okay with it. But he sounds like a well-behaved kid so hopefully there'll be no issues.

You might want to see if he can round up some of his friends and you could run a game for them. I'm sure he'd enjoy playing with kids his own age too. Plus it's a chance to convert more young souls to the cause. :smalltongue:

killem2
2012-04-05, 10:55 AM
OOOoo the wolf thing, what a great idea.

I know he likes playing world of warcraft (only the trial but he likes it) so he understand the go get this, go kill this, go read this, go do this, mentality of gaming.

This could work really well.

He chose how to speak and understand goblin lingo, because he wants to fight goblins, and tell them "BACK OFF" and scare them, so his intimidate skill will get major use I bet LOL.

Because the end of this next session will be a time for me to catch everyone up with wealth per level (because I am severly under what they should have), I think I'll grant him with a magical item, and maybe a few pieces of gold. So he is on par with everyone else.

I think it's awesome you're showing him the ropes in D&D, it's something I'd love to do with my kids... that is when I actually have any. I'm sure you've probably confirmed it already but I'd just double check the group is okay with it. But he sounds like a well-behaved kid so hopefully there'll be no issues.

You might want to see if he can round up some of his friends and you could run a game for them. I'm sure he'd enjoy playing with kids his own age too. Plus it's a chance to convert more young souls to the cause. :smalltongue:

This, I wish I could do, but he doesn't have any friends that come over or that I am aware of. He mentions some people at school that he hangs out with but, we get a lot more of "so and so made fun of me" stuff. Which is really weird, because he doesn't look funny, he isn't over weight, he just an average kid.

EDITED to avoid confusion on racism: We don't do well with our neighbors. Their kids are ill behaved. I let them play with my children outside, but if their outside manner is any reflection of their inside manner there is no way they could sit down for d&d and I don't have that much room.

Anyway back on topic, the group it self is a 40 year with his 17 year old son,we know each other really well, they know my son, and my cowork who is 26 and has a child as well.

I think he can handle it if we can keep it moving at a steady pace.

Duke of URL
2012-04-05, 11:02 AM
You can even make the magic item a gift from the tribe elders (or similar) as a reward for passing the tests.

killem2
2012-04-05, 11:45 AM
You can even make the magic item a gift from the tribe elders (or similar) as a reward for passing the tests.

This is very true, I'm trying to think of what would be the best type of item, because I know he is going to want to get right up in people's faces and start fighting.

Gwendol
2012-04-05, 12:15 PM
I've done a few sessions with my kids (6 and 4), and my tips is not to set the bar too high, especially concerning the length of the gaming sessions. For small children time can pass quickly or slowly and it's important to be a little sensitive to that. On the other hand those sessions have been wonderful, they are so acting out everything!
Another point of interest is that we used the old D&D rules (basic). You know, when race and class were synonymous.

Gandariel
2012-04-05, 12:19 PM
Anlket of translocation? it would be fun for him to teleport behind the line of warriors and run for the enemy mage, or just teleport behind the big monster and flank.

Occasional Sage
2012-04-05, 12:21 PM
maybe his weapon of choice, which produces a fear effect when he kills something?

As a parent I've gotta say this is awesome! I'm looking forward to gaming with my kids, one of these years...

killem2
2012-04-05, 12:45 PM
{{scrubbed}}

prufock
2012-04-05, 12:45 PM
This is unneeded. This is really fishing for an off-topic issue.

True, should have been a PM. Editing. Feel free to remove the quote if you wish.

Mari01
2012-04-05, 12:48 PM
{{scrubbed}}

Same to you. Let's try to keep this civil. Getting back on track, is there anything in particular you can tell us about your son that will help make the game more fun for him? I saw earlier you mentioned he likes games such as WoW. Does he like the expansive world? The (almost) never ending quest list? Tailoring little things like that wiill help keep him from getting bored

killem2
2012-04-05, 01:12 PM
Same to you. Let's try to keep this civil.

Oh it is now. Ignore is a great function of the internet :).

Getting back on track, is there anything in particular you can tell us about your son that will help make the game more fun for him? I saw earlier you mentioned he likes games such as WoW. Does he like the expansive world? The (almost) never ending quest list? Tailoring little things like that wiill help keep him from getting bored

I think he likes questing the most, he could spend hours in the beginning area if he had quests to do. I think he stayed in the northshire area (meant for maximum level 5) until he stopped getting expierence just to kill stuff and feel like superman. lol

Whelp, guess thread is dead. It was really hopping there with great info, thanks prufock.

You guys helped a lot though, this will turn out great!

Occasional Sage
2012-04-05, 02:34 PM
Oh it is now. Ignore is a great function of the internet :).

I think he likes questing the most, he could spend hours in the beginning area if he had quests to do. I think he stayed in the northshire area (meant for maximum level 5) until he stopped getting expierence just to kill stuff and feel like superman. lol

Whelp, guess thread is dead. It was really hopping there with great info, thanks prufock.

You guys helped a lot though, this will turn out great!

Post to tell us about it please!

Toy Killer
2012-04-05, 02:52 PM
My dad taught me D&D when i was little, I was really little though.

I would sit on his lap and mimic what other people were saying. as I grew older, I got his first set of dice he bought when he got 'The Red Box' and I got friends together to play myself.

Point is, D&D is like anything else you try to teach your children, reguardless if your trying to teach them how to fix a leak or how to read; you let them have control of their interests, let 'em come and go as they please, and keep the invite open. when their ready to take charge on their own, they'll either let you know, or they will come to you when they don't know what to do.

At least D&D won't result in water damage in your kitchen!

Roland St. Jude
2012-04-05, 06:47 PM
Sheriff: Thread locked for review.