PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Building a high DR Barbarian

CreganTur
2012-04-05, 11:21 AM
This is something that has gone from benign thought experiment with a friend to something I really want to try and make work.

The idea is simple- I love the Invulnerable Rager archetype for the Barbarian from Pathfinder. I want to find a way to build this character so that the amount of DR is maximized as is the damage output. I want him to hit as hard as he possibly can and stand up to a beating. There are people here who have much more experience at optimizing than me.

The rules: It's mainly Pathfinder, but we can bring in anything from 3.5 as well.

This is currently for a 6th lvl character.

Here are the stat numbers I've rolled. They're currently unassigned so you can put them where they do the most good (got some lucky rolls!):

+1 attribute needs to be assigned from 4th lvl gain. Any race can be used

Class Features:
I definately want to take Pounce as an ACF for 1st level.

Invulnerability kicks in at 2nd level- DR is 1/2 lvl universal

Extreme Endurance, 3rd level- I'm thinking Hot for the choice

Rage Powers:
I have 3 to choose. I hate that increased DR requires you to be lvl 8 before you can pick it.

Feats:
I know there's a feat that lets you double your DR against a single attack, but I can't remembe what it's called.

For increased damage dealing, I was thinking that going with powers that increase the damage on a charge might be the way to go. It means an initial burst of high damage, which is good, and then I'd have the staying power from the increased DR to plunk away for less damage while the rest of my team works.

Jack Zander
2012-04-05, 11:57 AM
I could be mistaken, but I don't think you can get pounce in PF as a barbarian until level 11. Not that you really need it until then anyway. At 1st level you only have 1 attack.

You can take a 1 level dip into synthesist to get pounce that way, but the flavor doesn't mesh well with all builds.

stack
2012-04-05, 12:01 PM
The 3.5 feat roll with it adds 2 to DR, though it requires the toughness feat an CON 20. But your +2 racial into CON, take toughness (less bad with the PF version) then take roll with it as often as you can spare feats.

grarrrg
2012-04-05, 12:23 PM
I'll just leave this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230081) here.
PF only, but VERY relevant.

Cieyrin
2012-04-05, 12:41 PM
I could be mistaken, but I don't think you can get pounce in PF as a barbarian until level 11. Not that you really need it until then anyway. At 1st level you only have 1 attack.

You can take a 1 level dip into synthesist to get pounce that way, but the flavor doesn't mesh well with all builds.

He's using Spirit Lion Totem from Complete Champion, Jack.

My DR Barbarian is linked in grarrrg's link, which uses Stalwart, Invulnearable Rager, Crane Style and Improved DR to get to DR 5/- by level 5 and climb in DR from there, jumping to DR 15/- at 11 when Improved Stalwart becomes available.

Toy Killer
2012-04-05, 05:45 PM
Roll with It
Requires: CON 20
you gain DR 2/-.
You can take this multiple times and it is Stackable.

Thick Skinned
Requires: Damage Reduction
each of your sources of DR is increased by up to 2, up to double the original value.
You can take this multiple times and it is Stackable.

EDIT: sorry, these are both available from Savage Species, Pg. 39 (roll with it) and Pg.40 (Thick Skinned)