PDA

View Full Version : One of my Players is having a problem connecting, advice welcome!

Legendairy
2012-04-05, 12:19 PM
Ok, one of my players has let me know that he is having a problem connecting to his character and the game. I understand most of what he is saying. He isn't sure of his role in-game and out of game its a new group. He has been kind of mousy and doesn't really talk much, for those same reasons stated above. So I will give you a little breakdown on the group, the characters, me as a DM, the campaign and hopefully you out there in the playground can share experience, tips and advice. We play 3.X

Ok the group;
We have a father son combo, the father is an old school 2nd ed player. He plays a stereotypical dwarf fighter, gruff wants to bash things and take whatever valuables from the corpse. He can role play and role play well when he wants too that just seems few and far. He also does dumb things like run around telling people about his demon friend(the character having the problem and I will explain more later).

The son; the son is new to gaming and is 15 yr old. He only played one other PF game I think and they handed him a level 20 ranger and said have fun. He plays a Goliath Barbarian and plays him as a dumb brute "hulk smash" type with almost no role play(again new to gaming).

Gamer; This guy is the old school gamer, he has an almost photographic memory and can recall obscure rules, spells, terrain and various other rules on the fly, very handy. He is great at RP and tries to include everyone.

Instigator/Arguer; He is an old friend of mine and a close one at that. He can be great at RP he comes from a LARP background and really gets into his characters. The only real issue is his characters are always roguey and arguementative. He gets a lote of eye rolls and whatnot but generally has good reasoning behind his arguement in character and does it well enough where most the PC's will eventually cave.

Disconnected; He has potential to be a good RPer, puts depth into his character generation and backstory, enjoys the game and takes time to read rules and whatnot during the week. He has just returned to gaming after a long long pause. Still a new system to him. I think he feels kinda forced into *combat and loot* because of two of the other personalities.

The Characters;(all are roughly around level 5)
The Father= A Duagar(sp?)Dwarf Fighter, rush in and try to kill everything personality but does make SOME good choices.
The Son= Goliath Barbarian, if its not combat don't expect much in the ways of talking.
Gamer= Human Bard, kinda the face of the group also kind of at odds with the dwarf and goliath cause he had to run from a fight do to low HP and they cut him out of the loot.
Instigator= Elf Rogue/Wizard, very opinionated and wants his way and tries to argue it.
Disconnected= Fey'ri Duskblade, mousy keeps to himself doesn't want people knowing he is a demon and also doesnt remember much of his past.

Me as a DM; I am kind of DM by proxy, I have DMed many times over the years and generally don't get complaints. I am sorta lax and play common sense on some rules a lot of the TO stuff that uses obscure wording wont fly in my games but I do allow a decent amount of Optimization. I am by no means the greatest DM ever but I do try to incorperate all my players and set up individual cut scenes and fights, I also try to customize gear for my players and say screw WBL. I try not to show favortism but I feed off RP so those who RP more will probably get more of my attention.

The Campaign; I run in FR but the timeline, the powers that be, the magic items and the realms themselves are subject to change, based on the characters choices.
As always thank you all for your imput. Look foward to getting this resolved. I am always in communication with my players and the one in question isnt leaving the campaign just wishes the group would flow, which it does NOT!

Downysole
2012-04-05, 02:35 PM
Hook "Disconnected" with his past. Make him want to drive the game towards exposition of his character and use hints of his past as the way to pull him in.

Maybe the next challenge is a fallen Angel of some sort and you need a weapon that only a part-demon or demon can use. Or hellfire or something.

Aegis013
2012-04-05, 02:53 PM
Talk to the group as a whole outside of game about the issue, work together to find a solution. Your players and you will know a lot more in depth about what is going on and what they are and are not ok with.

If "Disconnected" is looking for a social way to flow with the group, amnesia is pretty much always bad in my experience, despite being a super attractive option if you're really unfamiliar with the setting. It's a trap. I don't know how to address it, but Downysole's suggestion could work. (Last time I played an amnesiac I talked the DM into letting me make an epic self-sacrifice so that I could reroll once I had any grasp on the setting, I was much happier after rerolling)

If he's looking for a good way to participate in combat, since you've got Hulk Smash, Hulk Smash, support, support/stealth/possibly blaster and Hulk Smash+a bit of magic, he may need to find a way to fill in a different role. Introduce battlefield control, if the bard isn't doing that a lot, by tossing him a Drake Helm from the Explorer's Handbook. That item is awesome for Duskblades. Give him a couple of new options like obscuring mist or sleet storm. Things like that. If "Instigator" has that covered, you may need to find another niche.

I empathize with your problem though, finding a role for everybody to fill without stepping on each others' toes is quite the challenge.

bloodtide
2012-04-05, 04:09 PM
So, is it that you have a new gamer in your group and they have gone way out of their way to make a anti-social character that will not fit in with the group? If that is the case then tell him to suck it up, and next time not make such an anti-social character and try an be the cool lone wolf 'wolverine'.

Is the problem that he wants to go on some great 'role-playing wondrous adventure' and not 'kill, loot and repeat'? But he, of course, refuses to either play a solo game or take a leadership role in the current game. He just wants to snap his fingers and have the world be exactly the way he wants it. Then you can just tell him, sorry, life sucks.

Maybe you can be a bit more clear on what the problem is?

Legendairy
2012-04-05, 06:38 PM
Thank you all! Downysole, yeah I told him we are going to have a big flood of memory, the amnesia thing is a trap as Aegis013 said. The big problem is the group synergy nothing to do with the tier list or feeling useless its the feeling outed. I called all my players today and its also a lack of leadership they are level 5(roughly) with an adventurers license, but have not thought of a name of their group or selected a party speaker/face/leader. I told them all we will have to do one of two things. We can try to push through but if it persists because of bad blood between the characters (not the players), then we are all going to roll a new group with a backstory that makes them all friends/comrades and part of a brotherhood(with races restricted). If it turns out to be a player problem then we are going to downsize our group bottom line. Give whoever has an issue a chance or two "your character doesn't agree and goes his own, way roll a new one!" type deal and if it continues then it will be a hardy handshake and good luck finding another group in the area.

Again, thanks everyone, hopefully this problem is resolved.

Bloodtide, no, no one has gone out of their way just kinda their personality, main issue is group dynamic. The dynamic of the party is...well...not there at all, so a big sit down is in order and all that jazz.