PDA

View Full Version : Making a Powerful Cleric?

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-05, 02:12 PM
So...clerics. The cleric spell list is one of the most defensive spell lists I have ever seen. A friend has asked me to help her optimize a cleric for a high-powered rocket tag PvP game. Seriously, we're all going to be shooting and sniping and teleporting and recharging, then do a little plot, meet up again and try and kill each other all over again. This game is going to go into epic, we expect it to finish around level 25.

The enemy team's leader is going to be playing a Lawful Evil wizard with the Devil's Advocate (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10192) homebrew prestige class by The_Demented_One (basically he's just flavoring his conscription of minions for us to fight).

My friend's build at the moment is Cloistered Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 10/Contemplative 1/Dweomerkeeper 1. Please do not suggest a different build. We have already spent quite a lot of time on this, we don't want to have to dump the whole thing and start from scratch.

Domains:
Planning, Knowledge, Inquisition, Time, and Magic. These are all non-negotiable (Planning for Extend Spell, Magic for dweomerkeeper, Time for contingency, and the others are pre-selected).

Feats:
Extend Spell, Persist Spell, Divine Metamagic: Persist Spell, Magical Training (for dweomerkeeper), Craft Contingent Spell, Extra Turning x3

Ability Scores (Pre-Items):
Str 10
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 20
Cha 16

Race: Lesser Aasimar

We are planning to fight devils, including one of the players who is playing a pit fiend with the Savage Species progression, and other minions from the Material Plane who are all evil.

So my question is...what can she do? Her scores and hit points do not suit her for melee. The cleric list has so little power. Even the 3.5 Cleric's Handbook's suggested spells primarily consist of buffs and defensive power. I have already told her about hammer of righteousness and holy word, but there must be some other offensive spells she can cast, right? She has expressed interest in dishing out some crowd control as well. So any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Downysole
2012-04-05, 02:50 PM
It looks like you already have a few buffs in mind when you picked persist spell. If you already have 18 turn checks, that means you get two DMM persists.

I guess what I want you to get out of this post is that your spell selection can make you whatever you want to be. Owl's Insight gets you 3 more turn checks as well, which could net you another persist.

You can also craft items that cast persisted spells on you.

For example:
Melee: Divine Power and Vigor.
Remember that Divine Power turns you into a fighter BAB AND gives you a +6 enh to Str (plus temp HPs, but who's counting really). Vigor gives you fast healing 3. That's 3 hp per round healed!
Some people will suggest Divine Power and Righteous Might as well. I've never gotten to that level, but I don't like the idea of being large. Ice axe is also a good one, but you're going against cold-immune bad guys it seems.

Probably don't want to go with Channeled Divine Shield shield though if the bad guys are all evil. Otherwise, that's a sweet spell.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-05, 02:55 PM
It looks like you already have a few buffs in mind when you picked persist spell. If you already have 18 turn checks, that means you get two DMM persists.

I guess what I want you to get out of this post is that your spell selection can make you whatever you want to be. Owl's Insight gets you 3 more turn checks as well, which could net you another persist.

Owl's insight is a druid spell that gives you an insight bonus to your Wisdom score. How does that give you extra turn attempts? :smallconfused:

You can also craft items that cast persisted spells on you.

For example:
Melee: Divine Power and Vigor.
Remember that Divine Power turns you into a fighter BAB AND gives you a +6 enh to Str (plus temp HPs, but who's counting really). Vigor gives you fast healing 3. That's 3 hp per round healed!
Some people will suggest Divine Power and Righteous Might as well. I've never gotten to that level, but I don't like the idea of being large. Ice axe is also a good one, but you're going against cold-immune bad guys it seems.

Probably don't want to go with Channeled Divine Shield shield though if the bad guys are all evil. Otherwise, that's a sweet spell.

I really don't think that will work. Even with +6 Str, she will only have 16 Str. So she won't be able to put out any damage at all as a melee character.

Gwendol
2012-04-05, 02:57 PM
Divine favor stacks with divine power.

Morph Bark
2012-04-05, 03:08 PM
With 18 turn attempts she should be able to use DMM: Persist three times per day if burning all turn attempts on that. With three buffs like Divine Power, Righteous Might and Bear's Endurance she should make a viable melee, though not as damage-dealing as other melee characters.

Crowd control wise, the cleric has a decent amount of debuff spells, but I don't think they have much in way of hard battlefield control. Domains might change that, but you already got those set.

Palanan
2012-04-05, 03:14 PM
Owl's Wisdom is both a cleric and a druid spell (actually, just about everyone gets it). Eagle's Splendor is the one that enhances charisma.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-05, 03:15 PM
With 18 turn attempts she should be able to use DMM: Persist three times per day if burning all turn attempts on that. With three buffs like Divine Power, Righteous Might and Bear's Endurance she should make a viable melee, though not as damage-dealing as other melee characters.

I don't think melee is the best course of action to take when we're fighting a wizard and a pit fiend, especially if she's only got 20 Strength post-buffs, d6 HD, and 24 AC. Seems pretty glass-cannony. Plus, I mean, is melee really the best course of action to be taking with a full caster at 15th level? :smallconfused:

Crowd control wise, the cleric has a decent amount of debuff spells, but I don't think they have much in way of hard battlefield control. Domains might change that, but you already got those set.

"Decent amount of debuffs"? Can you give any specifics, please?

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-05, 03:16 PM
Owl's Wisdom is both a cleric and a druid spell (actually, just about everyone gets it). Eagle's Splendor is the one that enhances charisma.

Owl's insight is a druid-only spell from the Spell Compendium. +1/2 your caster level to a creature's Wisdom score, stacks with owl's wisdom.

Randomguy
2012-04-05, 03:22 PM
Persistent holy star gets you a fire blast touch attack, useable as a standard action. If you cast it in the morning after using your prayer beads of karma, it does 9d6 damage. You also get +6 AC and spell turning (which disappears when it's used up, but still), but you have to choose between one of the 3 each round. (level 7 spell)

Stormrage also gets you both offensive and defensive bonuses when persisted: Fly speed, immunity to ranged attacks and you can shoot lightning bolts out of your eyes (same damage as holy star) as a standard action. It's a level 8 spell.

Slime Wave does 1d6 con damage per round, also destroying items. It can be devestating, but it's also preventable by spells like sheltered vitality. The slime can be scraped off and destroyed though, but that gives you a few rounds while they try and control the damage.
Blood to water does 2d6 con damage to up to 5 creatures. Both of these are level 8 spells.
Fire storm and flame strike are decent damage dealing spells for the pyromaniac in all of us. Ice flower is an icy counterpart that doubles as battlefield control, but it doesn't work on sand or solid stone.
Blistering radiance doesn't deal much damage per round, but it has a long range and a large area. It's good when you can fill an entire room with it and summon something to block the door.

Special mention to bolt of glory: 15d12 damage against evil outsiders.

Persistant dragon breath is another way of getting you a standard action blast move, but it's only really good if you add other metamagic, or metabreath feats, or if you also persist

You've got a bunch of of save or dies and save or sucks: Plane shift, poison, implosion, destruction, blindness, bestow curse (and the greater version) and so on.

Some battlefield control spells: Flaywind burst, black sand (both from sandstorm) and wall of x (there are a couple dozen of these).

If you can grab another domain, get the spell domain. Anyspell lets you use a few wizard spells, but from higher level slots.

You really need to get at least 1 more pool of turn undead. Just 1 extra pool doubles your turn attempts. You can do this by taking an ACF that swaps turn undead for something that damages undead, but counts as turn undead for stuff, including DMM. (I think it's from eberron, I don't know what it's called.) Then take a level of Sacred Exorcist to get a seperate pool of turn undead. This will let you free up some feat slots, since you don't need to take extra turning as many times.

Palanan
2012-04-05, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi
Owl's insight is a druid-only spell from the Spell Compendium. +1/2 your caster level to a creature's Wisdom score, stacks with owl's wisdom.

Yoicks, my bad. Know any good recipes for egg-on-face? :smallredface:

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-05, 03:32 PM
Snip

That was very helpful, thank you. Am I correct in thinking that if I apply the Purify Spell feat to the bolt of glory spell that I can deal 45d6 damage to an evil outsider?

Larkas
2012-04-05, 03:32 PM
You really need to get at least 1 more pool of turn undead. Just 1 extra pool doubles your turn attempts. You can do this by taking an ACF that swaps turn undead for something that damages undead, but counts as turn undead for stuff, including DMM. (I think it's from eberron, I don't know what it's called.) Then take a level of Sacred Exorcist to get a seperate pool of turn undead. This will let you free up some feat slots, since you don't need to take extra turning as many times.

I think you mean Destroy Undead, from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. Is what you're suggesting here even legal? I mean, reading by RAW it is, since you're replacing Turn Undead with Destroy Undead on the cleric, but... Dunno, sounds too cheesy.

Analytica
2012-04-05, 04:54 PM
Did you know that BoED states that good clerics can cast Sanctified spells spontaneously, just like cure spells?

eggs
2012-04-05, 05:00 PM
The typical Divine Power+Righteous Might advice is silly. If you're going to play a caster, there's no reason to pretend like running around whacking things is your best option.

Clerics have plenty of powerful spells (though many of them are best for group support) - even just in Core, dropping Quickened Dimensional Anchor and Dispel/Holy Word/Wall of Stone can be devastating. With any sort of battlefield control or spell-quickenings, Summons are good for abusing the action economy (just look for things with At-will Wall of X, Dimension Anchor, Polymorphs, telekinesis-blasting or webs). Outside Core, you can do some fun things with Chain Dispel or metamagicked Blood-to-Water, or tap some of the Cleric's decent blasting options like Radiant Assault or Cometfall.

For PVP, the Divine Defiance feat is amazing (especially with Church Inquisitor) - use Immediate Actions to counter opponents' spells. With the Inquisition domain, the CL on those counters gets pretty sizable, and in PVP, you probably aren't going to run into the kinds of outnumbered or outleveled situations where it isn't worthwhile.

And remember that Complete Champion has the Substitute Domain spell, which lets a Cleric cast basically whatever Arcane spell catches their fancy.

Looking at the Devil's Advocate, Planar Bound Bone Devils are going to be really annoying (at-will Dimension Anchors, Invisibility and Walls of Ice), and at level 15 with hassle-free bindings, there's not a really good reason not to expect him to run around with a couple dozen. Those will definitely justify a liberal application of Holy Word.

DarthCyberWolf
2012-04-05, 05:29 PM
Here are a few things I'd like to throw in:

Do you get magic items? You have not said anything about them and some previous posts have acted like you don't get any. For example; Owl's Wisdom, Eagle's Splendor, and Bear's Endurance are moot if you have attribute increasing items. (If there was anything mentioned about them, obviously I failed my Spot to see it.)

Divine Metamagic takes a number of TU attempts equal to the spell level adjustment of the metamagic, plus one! So it will take seven TU uses to persist a spell. If you have access to magic items, I suggest a Reliquary Holy Symbol (MIC) for two more TU attempts, and something to boost your charisma by +2 for one more attempt. This should give you 21 Turn Undead attempts, allowing for three persisted spells. Furthermore, if you are allowed to do this, get a Metamagic Rod of Extend and extend the persisted spells to 48 hours. This effectively gives you six persisted spells a day.

How to do melee with cleric? Persist Divine Favor (+3 to-hit and damage), Divine Power and Righteous Might (combined gives you +10 strength, +2 Con, full BAB, and large size), and possibly Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (Will buff you and any allies you have with +3 to-hit and damage, plus an extra attack like haste.) But wait, there's more! Greater Magic Weapon will give you from +3 (at 12th level) to +5 (at 20th level) without spending any money on your weapon.
For AC: Greater Luminous Armor for +8 (with sight-based melee attacks against you at -4 to hit), Magic Vestment on your basic clothes for +3-5, and a Monk's Belt for Wisdom+1 to AC. All of this gives you an armor class at level 15 of
10+8(armor)+3(enhancement)+2(Natural)-1(size)+1(belt)+[Wisdom]+[Dexterity]. This is before any deflection or major natural armor bonuses you might invest in.
A note: Greater magic weapon, greater luminous armor, and magic vestment do not need to be persisted, as they last 1 hour/level normally.

Other spells: I'm not as familiar with other, more blasty and controlly spells, which is what I know you mainly want. I do know that Mass Lesser Vigor (or a higher level version, Vigorous Cycle) is a decent spell to persist for constant healing. Also, Resistance, Greater gives +3 to saving throws and lasts 24 hours (Resistance, Superior gives +6, also 24 hours), saving money from not buying a vest of resistance.

Randomguy
2012-04-05, 05:38 PM
That was very helpful, thank you. Am I correct in thinking that if I apply the Purify Spell feat to the bolt of glory spell that I can deal 45d6 damage to an evil outsider?
I believe you are. Now apply split ray. Or retributive spell.

I think you mean Destroy Undead, from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. Is what you're suggesting here even legal? I mean, reading by RAW it is, since you're replacing Turn Undead with Destroy Undead on the cleric, but... Dunno, sounds too cheesy.

It's not THAT cheesy (though I can't call it lactose-free, either). The only reason it's better than taking 2 levels of death delver is that death delver doesn't progress cleric casting. Plus build already uses a feat to get into dweomerkeeper without taking levels in an arcane casting class, so I don't think it's too excessive.

Here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0)'s a cleric guide. It'll be useful for spells and magic items. My favourite of those listed here is the substitute domain feat, which is exactly what it sounds like. You mainly got time domain for contingency, which you only need to cast once in a while, so you could have it substituted most of the time.

Oh, and you should have improved initiative on your list of feats.

Battleship789
2012-04-05, 10:41 PM
The main problem is that the build you have posted is rather spread out. With DMM(Persist) and the Extra Turnings, the build appears to be aimed at mass buffs into a melee fighter (which, as you mentioned, won't work too well with those stats), while the doubling up of contingency and Craft Contigent Spell points toward super defense (which can stack with the buffing into melee), but the prestige class selection points toward dispelling.

However, dispelling is still a pretty good choice here (even without going for extreme specialization), especially with the Inquisition domain. Grab a few CL boosts (Orange Prism Ioun Stone [DMG], some non-permanent boosts like a Dispelling Chord [MIC, pg 94]), prepare a Chain Dispel (PHB2, level 8 Cleric spell), and use it at the beginning of the fight to wipe out every single buff that the opposing force has. (This isn't as good as a Chain Spell metamagiced Greater Dispel Magic, but it takes a lower spell slot and doesn't require any feats.) The check will be at 1d20+15 (base CL) + 1 (Ioun Stone) + 4 (Inquisition Domain) + 2 (Dispelling Chord) or 1d20+22, which will make it fairly easy to beat the DC of 11+CL, especially if the opposing characters haven't boosted their CL. Sadly, since the character isn't evil, we can't go the way of Persistent Greater Consumptive field cheese. Oh well. If the opposing team has done this, dispelling won't do squat.

Prepare a GDM, which has a dispel check of 1d20+20, and cast the spell Battlemagic Perception (Heroes of Battle, 3rd) during the early morning prep period. (Its duration is 10 mins/level and it can be extended if necessary. DON'T PERSIST.) Whenever someone casts a spell, you can make a spellcraft check (at a +5 competence bonus) to identify the spell, and if you want to, you can choose to counter it as a free action (specifically, with the GDM.)

These dispelling tricks get even better if one takes the Arcane Mastery feat (which is qualified for with Magical Training), which allows one to take 10 on CL checks.

Throw on a ton of contingent spells (up to 16!) and add some of the other stuff mentioned in this thread and you are good to go.

Example:

I'd suggest dropping one of the Extra Turnings and getting Arcane Mastery. Replace the Extra Turning with one Nightstick (so there isn't any super cheese.)

Necessary Gear:Orange Prism Ioun Stone
Periapt of Wisdom +6
Cloak of Charisma +2
Nightstick (just one :P )
Prayer Bead of Karma
Reliquary Holy Symbol
Dispelling Chord
Belt of Battle
Remaining gold: 88500

Stats after items
Str 10
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 26
Cha 18

Turn Attempts: 21 = 3 (base) + 4 (Cha) + 8 (Extra Turning x2) + 2 (Reliquary Holy Symbol) + 4 (Nightstick) Or three Persisted spells.

Spell List (Base+Domain+Bonus) (* is persisted and cast via DMM, ` is domain)
8 (1+1+1) - Chain Dispel (PHB2), Foresight ' (cast), 1 extra
7 (2+1+1) - Holy Star (SpC) *, 2 Extra, Domain
6 (3+1+1) - Bolt of Glory (SpC), Heroes' Feast (cast), Greater Dispel Magic, Extended Freedom of Movement (cast) `, 1 Extra
5 (4+1+1) - Extend Battlemagic Perception (HoB, cast), 4 Extra, Domain
4 (4+1+2) - Greater Luminous Armor (BoED), Greater Resistance (SpC, cast), Air Walk, 3 Extra, Domain
3 (5+1+2) - Magic Vestment (cast), Extended Conviction (SpC), 5 Extra, Domain
2 (5+1+2) - 7 Spells, Domain
1 (5+1+2) - True Strike `, 7 Extra

Note: The True Strike is for Bolt of Glory (which you can cast with the Belt of Battle fairly easily) and Holy Star is mostly for the spell turning and circumstance bonus to AC (the firebolts won't be useful against devils, but they might come in handy against any non-devils).

The following spells last practically all day (or all day) and are thus cast at a CL of 20 (15 base + 1 Ioun Stone + 4 Prayer Bead): Greater Resistance, Heroes' Feast, Holy Star, Magic Vestment, (Extended) Freedom of Movement, (Extended) Conviction, (Extend) Battlemagic Perception, Foresight, and Air Walk. Currently only one spell is persisted (Holy Star), so there are two more available.

Some suggestions for filling the other slots (a general list here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866830/The_Cleric_Handbook&post_num=10#338230022)): 1 - Divine Favor (might be worth persisting, if just so the touch attacks won't miss)
2 - Substitute Domain (CC, snag an awesome spell from one of the other domains)
4 - Divine Power (as Divine Favor), Assay Spell Resistance (SpC, nice for Bolt of Glory/other)
5 - Wall of Stone (and other 'Wall' spells, BFC), Revivify (SpC, its awesome)
6 - Energy Immunity (SpC, if you know what you will be fighting), Blade Barrier (BFC and damage, will kill/severely injure most summons/mooks), Algid Enhancement (Frostburn, Holy buffs Batman! Great spell, though you need to have the [cold] subtype, which can be gotten fairly easily from other stuff in Frostburn. Tack on Energy Immunity (fire) and you are golden.)
8 - Stormrage (Persist this if the opponents have an archer, otherwise Holy Star + different Persisted spell is better that Stormrage + Holy Star.), Mass Death Ward (SpC, nice defensive spell for the party)

General changes from this setup: HP: Base + 1d8 + 10 (Heroes' Feast)
Saves: Base + 4 resistance (Greater Reistance) + 5 morale (Conviction) + 2 insight to Reflex (Foresight)
AC: Base + 8 armor (Greater Luminous Armor) + 6 competence (Holy Star) + 5 enhancement (Magic Vestment) + 2 insight (Foresight)
To Hit: Base + 1 morale (Heroes' Feast) - 1 (or 2) on melee (Greater Luminous Armor deals 1d3 Strength when cast)
Attacks: Ranged Touch for 10d6 Fire damage (Holy Star)
Other: FH 1 (Mass Lesser Vigor), Flight at Base Speed (Air Walk), 1 Free Action Counterspell (Battlefield Perception), Freedom of Movement, Immunity to Poison, Fear (Heroes' Feast), Spell Turning 1d4+3 levels (Holy Star), never surprised, flatfooted, and other shenanigans (Foresight)

Start off the battle by activating the Dispelling Cord (swift) and then firing off the Chain Dispel. Then proceed to debuff and BFC your way through the rest of the fight (using the spells already mentioned on this thread), with the occasional blast (Fire beams from Holy Star or the Bolt of Glory) to spice things up.

Wow, that ended up being a lot longer than I expected...

Vortling
2012-04-05, 10:52 PM
Another other spell you might find useful is Moon Bolt from Spell Compendium. 4th level cleric spell, Does up to 5d4 strength damage (fort half). Good against a wizard who likely dumped strength.

Empedocles
2012-04-06, 01:42 AM
Okay, it sounds like you really want a druid here, not a cleric. But I know you said you're not interested in different builds so here's some useful spells for clerics looking for damage/crowd control :smallsmile:

I don't have access to all of those PrCs (actually, I probably do but I don't keep track of PrCs really...) so I don't know how high your CL actually is, but there's a strong offensive spell (8th level) from Complete Divine called stormrage. You fly, your protected by a wind wall, and you can shoot lightning. It's worth a look.

Depending on how much prep time you have for battles, consider planar binding.

Bestow Greater Curse - I think this appears in a lot of sourcebooks, but the one I have now is the Dragonlance Campaign setting. It's useful if you're creative, especially against characters with (relatively) low saves.

From the second fiendish codex you might want to look at the investiture spells. At these levels only the Investiture of the hellfire engine and pit fiend will really by helpful though. Hellfire engine gives you almost wizardish damage, and the pit fiend gives you some pretty nasty crowd control.

Morph Bark
2012-04-06, 04:17 AM
I don't think melee is the best course of action to take when we're fighting a wizard and a pit fiend, especially if she's only got 20 Strength post-buffs, d6 HD, and 24 AC. Seems pretty glass-cannony. Plus, I mean, is melee really the best course of action to be taking with a full caster at 15th level? :smallconfused:

"Decent amount of debuffs"? Can you give any specifics, please?

HD size matters little when you can buff your Con or cast heal, but since you say she'll only have 24 AC, I presume her items are also non-negotiable from this point on? It seems kind of weird to me that the two of you put together a build before considering what she could do while doing that. That kind of seems the whole point of builds to me. :smallconfused:

As for the debuffs, I can honestly say divine casters are my weakness knowledge-wise with regards to DnD, but spells like bestow curse and it's Greater version and the Symbol spells could work. There's also poison and contagion for low-level spells and dimensional lock for high-level stuff. Cleric control spells appear to be mostly single target, for as far as I'm familiar with them.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-06, 09:18 AM
HD size matters little when you can buff your Con or cast heal, but since you say she'll only have 24 AC, I presume her items are also non-negotiable from this point on? It seems kind of weird to me that the two of you put together a build before considering what she could do while doing that. That kind of seems the whole point of builds to me. :smallconfused:

No, her items aren't set in stone, but even with items, that's as high as we could get her AC. She has a monk's belt and she's cast magic vestment, and she also has a +6 bracers of armor. I think that's as high as we can pump her AC. At this point, it's 26 AC, would be 25 if she cast righteous might, and there's really no other way to increase it any higher. (She's pretty low on her remaining starting gold too, we bought a lot of cool items to buff her casting and other defenses already, and Contingent Spells are expensive).

As for the debuffs, I can honestly say divine casters are my weakness knowledge-wise with regards to DnD, but spells like bestow curse and it's Greater version and the Symbol spells could work. There's also poison and contagion for low-level spells and dimensional lock for high-level stuff. Cleric control spells appear to be mostly single target, for as far as I'm familiar with them.

Same for me, which is why I built the character before really considering what it could do. Can't cast contagion, since it's an [Evil] spell. Poison is also considered evil, as of BoED, which we're using to cast Sanctified spells, so...yeah.

From the second fiendish codex you might want to look at the investiture spells. At these levels only the Investiture of the hellfire engine and pit fiend will really by helpful though. Hellfire engine gives you almost wizardish damage, and the pit fiend gives you some pretty nasty crowd control.

Chaotic Good clerics cannot cast Lawful Evil spells.

eggs
2012-04-06, 11:14 AM
That just got me to revisit Fiendish Codex's spell section. If the main opponent is going to be summoning swarms of low-HD Devils (which sounds like the plan, with that PrC), Righteous Exile sounds like it would be really useful - a blanket 20d6 damage to evil creatures in an area (no save) that forces evil outsiders to make a will save or be shunted back to their home planes (DC augmented by the difference between caster level and Outsider HD).

On the Bolt of Glory, it's probably best to hold that in reserve until you go for the killing blow on the Devil's Advocate (assuming they hit the capstone). If the player recognizes the spell ahead of time, expect there to be quickened ray deflections prepped for the character and its important called monsters.

Empedocles
2012-04-06, 11:15 AM
Chaotic Good clerics cannot cast Lawful Evil spells.

She has to be chaotic? Is that a prerequisite for one of her PrCs?

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-06, 11:18 AM
She has to be chaotic? Is that a prerequisite for one of her PrCs?

No, actually, she's Lawful Good now that I think of it (I was thinking about my character :smallredface:). And yes, the Lawful Good alignment is required for the Church Inquisitor PrC

Either way, she can't cast Evil spells.

Empedocles
2012-04-06, 07:44 PM
No, actually, she's Lawful Good now that I think of it (I was thinking about my character :smallredface:). And yes, the Lawful Good alignment is required for the Church Inquisitor PrC

Either way, she can't cast Evil spells.

That's unfortunate :smallfrown:

Although actually that gave me an idea. Some of the Sanctified spells from BoED are strong. They all have harsh consequences though...just useful to consider as a "last resort" type thing.

Averis Vol
2012-04-06, 08:57 PM
well the thing is, clerics are kinda...melee monsters. i had a level ten build that had +40ish to hit on his main attack an ac in the high thirties and dicked around with teleport all day. don't get me wrong, they're good with spells but most of their spells lend to melee combat.

well to help heres a few good spells if you don't intend to be in melee.

tremor (SpC)
Wrack (SpC)
death throes (SpC)
Divine Agility (SpC)
Subvert Planar essence (SpC)
Zone of Respite (SpC)
Cometfall (SpC)
Rejection (SpC)
Visage of the Diety (SpC)
Blood to Water (SpC)
Heat drain (SpC)

but honestly i suggest redoing everything to make the character melee capable, its how clerics work best. but, i hope these spells help a bit. good luck.