PDA

View Full Version : Rats and Their Traps

Drenn
2012-04-05, 02:17 PM
Hello all!

I just started running a new campaign that's going to be set almost entirely in a little seaside town where the adventurers are a company that specializes in magical item retrieval. In keeping with tradition, their first, level 1 adventure consists of them going out to deal with some rats.

The catch is this: they're moon rats, meaning that in moonlight, they become quite intelligent. I want the rat's lair to be riddled with traps, possibly involving moonlight in some way. I'm not quite going for Tucker's kobalds, since they're only level one and I want to have mercy on my players, but something similar.

Anybody have any good trap ideas that could have been rigged up by the rats I could use before my session tomorrow night?

Thanks!

DaMullet
2012-04-05, 02:34 PM
How about something darkly ironic, like a giant hydraulic cat, or an oversized mousetrap? Or if that's too comical, some snares or revolving walls to separate the party and keep them on their toes.

Rorrik
2012-04-05, 06:47 PM
I would see mostly revolving walls, or crawl spaces that shrink to trap players(after all, rats have to have crawl spaces), depending on what they have available, they could have some sort of crystal they've used to trap moonlight to be released at will, possibly to allow their leader to employ his caster powers.:smallwink:

Involving moonlight, I'm drawing a blank, um, a ... trapped ... werewolf? Nope, nothing, sorry.

Drenn
2012-04-05, 09:32 PM
How about something darkly ironic, like a giant hydraulic cat, or an oversized mousetrap? Or if that's too comical, some snares or revolving walls to separate the party and keep them on their toes.

Huh. I'm really liking the oversize mousetrap idea. I wonder what they would put out as bait? There's a lot of potential for a joke there.

Drenn
2012-04-05, 09:34 PM
I would see mostly revolving walls, or crawl spaces that shrink to trap players(after all, rats have to have crawl spaces)

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. This also begs the question of how the players are going to get into the warren if everything is rat-sized. It might make for some handy getaways if I want these rats to become a recurring villain, or at least a recurring nuisance. =P

vartan
2012-04-06, 08:12 PM
Considering what rat trapsmiths have at their disposal I would think simplistic traps would be best. Pillars or ropes securing portions of loose stones from a wall or ceiling could be chewed to the point of near breaking and quickly triggered by clumsy adventurers or clever rats. And perhaps the party has to have their size reduced to enter the warren, which could cause some hilarious frustration as weapon damage die shrink and rats become more formidable opponents.

NowhereMan583
2012-04-07, 11:08 AM
And perhaps the party has to have their size reduced to enter the warren, which could cause some hilarious frustration as weapon damage die shrink and rats become more formidable opponents.

... and some claustrophobic horror as they realize that the duration's running out on their last casting of reduce person, and there's just not enough time to get back out... :smallamused:

jackattack
2012-04-07, 07:14 PM
Something that takes advantage of the difference between a rat's weight and a person's weight, like bridges or ladders that can support a bunch of rats, but not an adventurer.

Or a section of tunnel where stones/masonry/bricks are propped up with poles. Rats can maneuver around them easily, but humans have to go slow or risk causing a collapse.

Depending on how intelligent the rats get, they might have go access to an alchemist's stock. A tripwire attached to a cork in a flask could be bad news.

erikun
2012-04-07, 07:48 PM
Huh. I'm really liking the oversize mousetrap idea. I wonder what they would put out as bait? There's a lot of potential for a joke there.
A mundane sword under the effects of Magic Weapon. They'll be all excited about their new shiny item until the spell runs out. :smalltongue:

As for the traps, I would encourage non-damaging ones. Traps that make a lot of noise, dunk characters into the water, or toss garbage on top of them. They're level one, after all, and you probably don't want to kill and drown the party wizard from a 1d6 trap.

Slipperychicken
2012-04-07, 08:04 PM
They see a glint in the shadows. They reach for it, and Snap! Mousetrap with a wet piece of tin as bait.

A weapon is lying around, but it's been poisoned. (reversal of poisoned cheese tactic).

Drenn
2012-04-08, 01:37 AM
... and some claustrophobic horror as they realize that the duration's running out on their last casting of reduce person, and there's just not enough time to get back out... :smallamused:

You sir, are evil. I love it. =)

Drenn
2012-04-08, 01:39 AM
They see a glint in the shadows. They reach for it, and Snap! Mousetrap with a wet piece of tin as bait.

A weapon is lying around, but it's been poisoned. (reversal of poisoned cheese tactic).

Definitely using this.