PDA

View Full Version : Monster Race with Cleric spell "levels?"

Capricorn
2012-04-05, 05:32 PM
So, I'm looking at the Rakshasas race list and I think to myself how cool it would be if there was a race that had the ability to cast Cleric spells like a Rakshasas can cast Sorcerer spells. Do you guys know of any evil race like that?

Cog
2012-04-05, 05:43 PM
Lammasu, Planetar, Androsphinx, Drider... just do a search on d20srd.com for "cleric" and restrict it to the monster section and you'll get a longer list.

Capricorn
2012-04-05, 05:51 PM
Sweet! Thanks :D

Urpriest
2012-04-05, 06:15 PM
If you're looking for a fun evil race of this sort, Lilitu (Fiendish Codex I) are a very fun example.

shadow_archmagi
2012-04-05, 06:32 PM
So, I'm looking at the Rakshasas race list and I think to myself how cool it would be if there was a race that had the ability to cast Cleric spells like a Rakshasas can cast Sorcerer spells. Do you guys know of any evil race like that?

Several flavors of dragons get spellcasting.

Zale
2012-04-05, 06:47 PM
If you're looking for a fun evil race of this sort, Lilitu (Fiendish Codex I) are a very fun example.

It's also, unless I'm mistaken, an (Ex) ability. Make of that what you will. :smallsmile:

Thurbane
2012-04-05, 08:42 PM
You might find this list useful: Complete list of Innate Spellcasting? [3.0/3.5/PF] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136021)

Psyren
2012-04-05, 10:28 PM
It's also, unless I'm mistaken, an (Ex) ability. Make of that what you will. :smallsmile:

The spellcasting ability is; that doesn't mean the spells are.

Cor1
2012-04-05, 10:58 PM
Some Angels have full Cleric casting also.

Zale
2012-04-06, 01:44 AM
The spellcasting ability is; that doesn't mean the spells are.

Ah, but if you use.. say.. Sanctify the Wicked on them, they keep the spell casting.

Just a thought.

Andorax
2012-04-06, 10:50 AM
One of the things I've been playing with is finding creatures with a selection of SLAs that aren't far off from a standard casting progression and swapping them out for a standard progression in their place. Makes for more flexible and customizable creatures.

One of the creatures on my surgery table was the Justicator from MM3. Swapped out his regular selection of SLAs for the casting ability of a 9th level Cleric with the Law domain.

Seems to be working out rather well.

Other modifications: Lamia (Sorc 8, or for a nastier version, Beguiler 8), Ogre Mage (Sorc 8 with Wu-Jen list access), and Noble Salamander (Sorc 8, but keep their Summon ability as their lone SLA).

Omegas
2012-04-06, 11:04 AM
Its easy enough to advance some creatures by level in cleric or reduce their give class in exchange for cleric.

Wow think of a 3.0 Spell Weaver that could cast a combo of 6 arcane / divine spells at the same time.

And then lace Mystic levels on it.