PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Feats.

Dancingdeath
2012-04-05, 10:00 PM
Are there rules for purchasing Feats?

Is this a terrible idea?

Dancingdeath
2012-04-05, 10:01 PM
To clarify, I mean with currency or items of value, not as acquired by level.

The Mentalist
2012-04-05, 10:05 PM
A&EG (Arms and Equipment Guide) prices them at 3-15k depending on difficulty to acquire and power

Practical Enchanter from Distant Horizons Games has a much better system for them in my mind. (You can find it free on drivethrurpg)

Eonir
2012-04-05, 10:05 PM
Gloves of the Balanced Hand grant the two-weapon fighting feat. You could go off that.

Eonir
2012-04-05, 10:06 PM
A&EG (Arms and Equipment Guide) prices them at 3-15k depending on difficulty to acquire and power

A&EG is 3.0 though I think.

Seerow
2012-04-05, 10:07 PM
You could use the custom magic item creation guidelines in combination with the Heroism (or is it Heroics? I can never remember) spell, and use whatever number that comes out to. Though honestly that number will probably be pretty high.

DoctorGlock
2012-04-05, 10:08 PM
Complete scoundrel has 6-7 locations that grant feats and consume a chunk of WBL, effectively buying feats

The Mentalist
2012-04-05, 10:09 PM
A&EG is 3.0 though I think.

It is but "3.0 grandfather" nonsense and it's the closest WotC ever came to comprehensive rules on the subject.

Though on the whole reverse engineer it. Metamagic Rods would be a good data-point to add to that. A greater one is basically taking Sudden X three times.

deuxhero
2012-04-05, 10:12 PM
CS has rules for rewarding feats instead of loot, effectively letting you "buy" them.

This handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4099.0) has a list of all the feats you can "buy" through the above or items that give them.

The Mentalist
2012-04-05, 10:14 PM
CS has rules for rewarding feats instead of loot, effectively letting you "buy" them.

This handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4099.0) has a list of all the feats you can "buy" through the above or items that give them.

^I'm pretty this is /thread

Something I did not know!

navar100
2012-04-05, 10:15 PM
I think this is House Rule territory and an interesting one. You find a tome that allows you to learn the feat without using a feat slot or some such. You could earn a Wish and wish for a feat, which is granted. There should be some limit on how many extra feats you can have. It's arbitrary and metagame, but go with it.

Otherwise, Unearthed Arcana offers the option of taking Flaws for your character for extra feat slots. They're taken at character creation, so many feats are automatically not available, but you can House Rule to adjust such as get the Flaw now auto get the Feat at earliest level or after a particular relevant encounter at some level above character creation you can choose to take an appropriate Flaw for a Feat.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-04-05, 10:34 PM
There's the Dark Chaos Shuffle, where you hire NPC spellcasters to cast Embrace the Dark Chaos and then Shun the Dark Chaos on you, both found in Fiendish Codex II. Embrace lets you trade any feat you have (even class bonus feats and racial bonus feats) for any Abyssal Heritor feat (same book) that you qualify for. Shun lets you trade any Abyssal Heritor feat you have for any feat you currently qualify for. That lets you trade any feat you have for any feat you qualify for, at standard NPC spellcasting fees having both spells cast on you once should run 4,900 gp. With a few visits to the Frog God's Fane (CS) to gain a Skill Focus: Knowledge for 2,000 gp per visit, you can basically pay 6,900 gp to gain any feat you currently qualify for.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-06, 12:27 AM
There's also the Armor of Mobility in the Draconomicon - could be useful in determining price for a feat without the prerequisite.

Xynphos
2012-04-06, 01:48 AM
I would like to include the Fanged Ring. It gives two feats and only costs 10,000GP.

Thurbane
2012-04-06, 02:37 AM
Magic Items Granting Feats (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/feats.html)

Handbook of the Exotic Practice of Feat Binding (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4099.0)

Yuki Akuma
2012-04-06, 08:02 AM
I think this is House Rule territory

No it isn't. As said above, there are already examples of being able to get feats in place of treasure, effectively 'buying' them with your WBL.

prufock
2012-04-06, 02:58 PM
You could use the custom magic item creation guidelines in combination with the Heroism (or is it Heroics? I can never remember) spell, and use whatever number that comes out to. Though honestly that number will probably be pretty high.

It's Heroics - Heriosm grants you morale bonuses to stuff.

Heroics is only, what, 2nd level or something? Continuous item wouldn't be prohibitively expensive. Or you could pop it in a wand/use-per-day item.

deuxhero
2012-04-06, 03:11 PM
Only [fighter] feats though.