PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Animal Control

kieza
2012-04-05, 11:15 PM
I'm running a series of one-shots over the next few months, featuring the players as detectives in a city police department. The city has an abundance of low-to-mid level magic, and they work in the department which handles weird, exotic, and dangerous stuff.

I've got a few interesting cases lined up (fey serial killer, raid on an adventurer bar, arson caused by a young sorcerer with control issues), but I just came up with the idea of having them seconded to animal control for a week.

What are some entertaining critters that they might be going after? I'm already working on the giant sewer alligators and the local archmage's three-headed, firebreathing, magic-immune puppy, but what else might a large city's animal control department have to deal with?

Sith_Happens
2012-04-06, 02:31 AM
Stirges, stirges everywhere.:smalleek:

The Bandicoot
2012-04-06, 06:05 AM
Stirges, owlbears, dire squirrels, dire weasels( beware the death weasel!)

Storm Bringer
2012-04-06, 07:00 AM
Treants. they protest wildly at being called "animals", on top of anything else.

a dispute between a Hipogriff rancher and a Pegasus breeder, over grazing rights to several rooftop gardens their flying animals like to graze on. alternatly, the damm things keep landing in other peoples rooftop gardens nad eating all the nice plants.

An complex leagal battle invloving a warewolf and his identical pet wolf over which was seen looking into a famous beauties bathroom window.

slightly insane animal rights protesters are attempting to free a caged owlbear...which will promtly go on a rampage if let loose (it's been sat in a small iron box for 4 days with people poking it. it's [pissed off)

a Purple Worm owned by a local mining company gets loose.

A Landshark claims the local park as his stomping ground.

vartan
2012-04-06, 09:49 PM
Once upon a time, I played an AD&D game wherein a travelling zoo escape left us to deal with a rust monster, a tyrannosaurus rex, and a displacer beast- to name the few that I can remember.

Pokonic
2012-04-07, 02:22 PM
Dire animals might replace the traditinal "big cat" smuggleing operations of the real world. Think Dire ect. making it's way into the outside world and think about what it would do.

A single Griffon is responsible for a local Pegusi ranchers latest brood of foals to be made up entirly of Hippogriffs. :smalltongue: The guy is quite upset, and wishes to have the PC's chase it away. Unfortunatly, Griffons are protected much like the Bald Eagle is in the US, and will have to chase it away without angering the people in charge.

A lone Dragonturtle nests in the local river. Named Shelly, it is a local celeberty and a minor trade is made out of selling merchindise to tourists in the shape of the beasti. However, attacks by a unknown animal on boats have made some wishing to rid the lake of it's cultural icon.

jackattack
2012-04-07, 07:27 PM
The guys in Sanitation Control have lost track of at least one of the gelatinous cubes they use to clean the sewers.

A wizard has died of natural causes, leaving behind a mansion full of homunculi and constructs that no one else wants to deal with.

The swallows are about to return to Capestrano. Except instead of swallows, they are something dangerous or annoying. What a shame that everyone but the party have evacuated or called in sick...

Mice or miniature flying lizards or something are overrunning homes of the wealthy. They eat everything edible, chew on everything else, and pilfer valuables. The party needs to find the villain who is using magic to control his horde of animal thieves.