PDA

View Full Version : Greed is Good (OOC)



Pages : [1] 2 3

Destro_Yersul
2012-04-06, 03:40 AM
What is avarice? Quite simply, the desire to possess one more.
One more piece of gold, one more horse, one more sword, or axe, or acre of land.
One more is never enough.

IC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239876)

Hello, everyone, and welcome to the OOC thread for Greed is Good, the (hopefully) ongoing sandbox E6 campaign. For anyone who needs a quick link to the E6 ruleset, it can be found here:

E6: The Game Inside D&D (www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/206323-e6-game-inside-d-d.html)

With that out of the way, I'd like to put up some Rules of Posting, cribbed from a gent called LCP who also runs games on these forums. The Game itself will be getting an IC thread once I've got a few more things complete and ready, which ought to be some time next week.

THE RULES
Activity:
Expected rate of posting is at least once per day.
If you donít post in 48 hours, I will autopilot your character.
If you donít post in a week, I reserve the right to kill off your character.
Going on hiatus with prior warning is absolutely fine: the above rules apply to unexpected disappearances. Drop me a notification before youíre going away/losing your internet access/what have you, and Iíll happily play your character as an NPC until you can return.

Rolls:
Make all rolls using the forum dice roller, either in a spoiler-box in the relevant IC post, or in a separate post in this thread. (Character Stat rolls excepted. As an invitational game, there's no recruitment thread for this. For stats, you may use Invisible Castle, or similar off-site rolling utilities. - Destro)
Some rolls (mainly ones at which you should not know whether you have succeeded or failed) I will make in secret.
As a time-saving device, I will roll all initiatives at the start of an encounter, allowing you to get straight to your actions rather than waiting about for each other.

Combat:
When in combat, do not wait to post in sequence of initiative: post whenever you are free to post. If your actions depend on someone ahead of you in the initiative order, you can leave conditional instructions OOC. I will conduct my rolling for each combat round in this thread, and post an IC summary that signifies the end of the current round & the start of the next.

Spoilers
A spoiler titled 'X Only' is intended only for the eyes of the player playing the character X. Please don't read 'em if they're not intended for you - you could spoil some surprises.

Please put your character sheet in your first post in this thread Ė either formatted into the post itself, or via a link. It helps me to find them if theyíre all in one place.

THE MAP
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/MercadiaMap.png

And a bonus map made by Zergling:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/Greed-is-Good-Map_zpse6fc9730.png?t=1379616067 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/igsk6hwejk8xetj/Greed-is-Good-Map.png?m)

HOLY SYMBOLS

For Tharius:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/Tharius1.png?t=1347138309

Tharius' main symbol is a hammer over a lightning bolt, but many variations on the theme exist. Tharius encourages the faithful to develop their own variants on his holy symbol, since to do so involves an act of creation, with the hammer as the common icon. To reference a specific aspect, for example, one might put a symbol of that aspect behind the hammer in place of the lightning bolt, or have the hammer interacting with a representation of that aspect.

For Loktar:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/Loktar.png?t=1347138309

Loktar's symbol is simpler, and has fewer variants. It is meant to be easily drawn and variably interpreted. The core symbol is always the same, and aspects are referenced by adding colour, either as a shape behind the symbol or by colouring in the symbol itself. There has been some debate amongst Loktar's more fervent followers as to what the symbol actually depicts, but the god is unforthcoming on the matter. As far as anyone can tell, it is whatever you want it to be.

Calendars and Holidays (Including PC birthdays):
One Calendar year is 361 days long. The Mercadian Calendar, however, only measures 360 days - twelve equal months of 30 days each. The months are named, variously, after weather patterns, activities, or just the general season they occur in. The twelve months, in order, are as follows:


Morningfrost
Greysky
Bright Dawn
Rainfall
Birdsong
Sunscatter
Midsummer
Longshadows
Harvest Tide
Bounty
Winterfall
Dark Sky


Greysky can be one or two words, Dark Sky is explicitly two. The twelfth month is regarded with no small amount of trepidation, because of the 361st day, the day that is not recorded on the Calendar. Called 'The Day of Scouring,' or 'Loktar's Day,' the 361st day is a holiday, of sorts. On this day, nothing is made. Nothing is bought. Endeavors are not started, deals are not struck, no business of any sort is conducted. Instead, the Mercadian people leave gifts for Loktar on the front steps of their houses, in hopes that the Laughing God will take what they offer and move on. Poor gifts are considered to bring ill fortune for the following year, and exceptionally poor offerings may even bring down the ruination of all the previous year's efforts as well. Any revelry conducted on this day must be done wearing masks, in a bid to confuse Loktar.

((Loktarians generally prefer more active methods of appeasing the god than just leaving gifts out, but most of them abide by the 'no business' clause. It's Loktar's day, after all. They just do it less out of fear and more out of courtesy. Setting things on fire is also an option.))

There are other, more cheerful, holidays during the year, most of them in homage to Tharius. The 1st of Morningfrost (Day of New Beginnings) is a day of celebration, marking the day that Tharius took up his great hammer and created the world. The great god stands watch over his people, protecting them from the wrath of Loktar, and the masks of Loktar's day are traditionally abandoned at the striking of the first hour on this day.

The third Freeday in Greysky is given over to Bonfire Night, a celebration of the coming spring months, and the warm sun that inevitable comes with them. Bright Dawn, ironically, contains no holidays. Nor, for that matter, does Rainfall. Birdsong, on the other hand, has two.

Lover's Day takes place on the 8th of Birdsong. It's not a big holiday, but it's considered good fortune to propose marriage, make amends, or buy gifts for one's lover on this day. The holiday is immensely popular with humans, though Dwarves and Elves generally have little tolerance for it.

The other holiday in Birdsong is a favourite of bards and town drunks. The day doesn't have an official designation, but it always takes place on the last Tharsday of the month, and is a time for the creation of artwork. Since music is a form of art, this particular day is the source of many a favourite drinking song. Its sister holiday, Smith's Day, doesn't take place until the 18th of Longshadows, the year's longest unbroken stretch of daylight. Smith's Day is for more practical forms of creation - tools, furniture, and of course, alcohol.

((Names, for the first one: Art suggested Bard's Day, so let's go with that. It's an unofficial designation, of course. Others might call it the Day of Songs, or Day of Colours, or Day of Bloody Hell This is Good Ale. ))

Harvest Tide is home to the Harvest Festival, a week-long holiday that officially begins whenever the harvest finishes. This is a feasting holiday, and commonly ends up crossing over into the month of Bounty. Drink, food, and a resurgence of all the songs invented by town drunks back in Birdsong all serve to mark the year's longest holiday.

Hedredode (roughly: Day of the Honoured Dead), also takes place in Bounty. This is Tharius' day, when the veils between the lands of the living and dead are thin, and Necromancers find their magic easier to work. The creation of undead on this day is a highly formalised affair, standing on a great deal of ceremony. Loktar hates the day with a passion. In recent times, the creation of undead has fallen out of favour with mainstream branches of the church of Tharius, leading to this particular holiday being significantly downsized in comparison with history.

The year's last official holiday is Winterfall 30th. Another of the holidays honouring Tharius, this one revolves around the giving of gifts, and the sharing of wealth. It is a time of thankfulness for the (hopefully) success of the past year. Gifts are exchanged between friends and family in the morning, followed by a large breakfast. The rest of the day is given to drink and merriment. It is customary to also leave a small gift for Tharius in one of his temples or shrines, for good luck. Extra favour is said to be awarded to those who craft their gift for Tharius themselves, rather than simply buying one.

((Called Aegis, with a soft g, since a big part of it involves hoping Tharius will take mercy on you and not let Loktar bugger things up too badly once the year ends. Loktarians are not required to participate, though their friends might be a bit miffed to not get shiny things. They generally don't leave a gift for Tharius, at the very least, but actively stealing the ones people do leave isn't common either - Loktarian or not, it's not especially wise to directly challenge Tharius to smite you for insolence. ))

Days of the week, for reference, are Monday, Tirsday, Onsday, Tharsday, Freeday, Lorsday, and Sonsday. For anyone who cares, these are slightly bastardised spellings of the Norwegian days of the week. Except for Monday. Monday is unchanged, because that way, even if you don't remember the other days, you at least know which one needs to be hated. Freeday, by the way, is considered to be the day on which Loktar originally added free will to the world.


***

Birthdays, in chronological order:
Glaffin, Rainfall 3rd
Cecily, Birdsong 13th (sort of)
Laelaer, Longshadows 5th
Alec, Harvest Tide 2nd
Thorus, Winterfall 19th

Current Date: Sunscatter 17th

A COLLECTION OF HOUSERULES
Crafting:
Works in GP instead of SP.
Can take 10 on craft checks, but increases the time taken by 0.25x
Can use Guidance of the Avatar, but not take 10 if you do
Canít increase DC of a craft check by 10 more than once.

Weapon Training:
You may pay an instructor to teach you how to wield weapons not normally covered by your training. The cost for such is 5x the price of the weapon in GP, and training takes one day for each 100gp. Treat increments of less than 100 as a full 100 for the purpose of determining training time. The instructor must have the Weapon Focus feat for the weapon in question. An instructor may train one person, plus one additional person for each point of WIS or INT bonus they possess, at any one time. At the end of training, the trainee gains Weapon Proficiency with the chosen weapon as a bonus feat.

Magic Items:
Stat boosting magic items are Caster Level 6 for +2 variant, 8 for +4 variant, 10 for +6 variant. Only +2 stat boost items are permitted in E6.

- Knowledge (Arcana) test at DC 15 + level of the spell involved will tell you what a magic item is, once you know it's magic.
- Spellcraft test at DC 15 + caster level of the item will tell you how to activate it, if it has functions that can be activated.
- Identify will tell you anything else that might be relevant, such as all spells involved in its construction, caster level involved, how to reproduce it, charges remaining (if any) and other assorted miscellaneous information you might need to know.


With those out of the way, I have a couple more things to add:

First, I have no problem with players being sneaky. I encourage it, in fact. You are more than welcome to plot against me, to scheme, to backstab, beguile, trick, or otherwise scrape your way to the top of the metaphorical heap. This is a game that is, foremost, about money and all the ways to get more of it. That said, we're all friends here. I have no problem with In-character rivalries, but try to find a reason to work together. Maybe your characters are friends, maybe they hate each other but have grudging respect for personal ability of their rival, whatever.

Second, I would very much like if everyone could come up with a couple solid motivations for their characters. It can be as much or as little as you like, but everyone needs a goal of some sort. Yes, you should all want to get more money, but what do you want to DO with it?

Lastly, don't worry too much about backstories just yet. I've told some of you this already. I'll be preparing a player briefing document, and handing that out over PM or MSN or whatnot. Once that's gone out, backstory of some sort is expected. Feel free to fill it with tasty, tasty plot hooks. That just means I will like you more.

LINK (http://www.mediafire.com/?ubfn0n9t56v393c) to the briefing document here.

With that, everyone reserve a post for their sheet on the first page, and let's have at it!

The Orange Zergling
2012-04-06, 04:26 PM
Hello; I'm Orange Zergling, I know Destro from posting in The Town (in the long-long ago, before the forum purge) and playing World of Warcraft with him for a time. I haven't posted on the forums much lately but I'll commit to staying active as much as outside circumstances allow. :smallsmile:

This will be something of a learning experience for me, since I haven't done a PbP in years, so I apologize in advance for any silly questions I might have to ask regarding procedure.

---

Thorus Wyrmheart, the Dragon Shaman (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=386736)

Gullara
2012-04-07, 01:16 PM
Don't worry about silly questions, I'm sure I'll have more than a few myself. Seeing as this is one of my first few times playing DnD. :smalltongue: Look forward to playing with you all. Feel free to call me Ghar.

Sheet is still undergoing finishing touches, but I'll post it up for now as it's mostly finished.

1
Cecily, the Bard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=387069)

Link to download a spreadsheet (https://www.dropbox.com/s/fa112zx2252xe2e/Cecily%20-%20Greed%20is%20Good.xlsx) detailing my info on her.

Blarghy
2012-04-07, 03:56 PM
The pirate (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=390633) is ready.

Character Stories

Part I (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14229160&postcount=362)

Part II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14291740&postcount=377)

Part III (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14480212&postcount=397)

Part IV (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14561787&postcount=404)

Part V (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14671638&postcount=416)

Part VI (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14931608&postcount=458)

Part VII (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14946427&postcount=462)

Slii Arhem
2012-04-08, 06:43 PM
Hey all, first time playing D&D, and playing PbP, but I've been around the block a few times creating characters and drafting up campaigns. So, that makes three of us chock full of silly questions and fun.

Meet Glaffin Pickthrower (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=387122), a dwarven cleric who's motivated by a deep desire to understand the inner workings of just about everything, so he can build it all.

Should have fun with all the renaissance era things Destro is including, assuming he can find the schematics and formulae.

Artemis97
2012-04-08, 10:13 PM
...or one more bow?

Hey everyone! Reserving this spot for my character, when she should show up.

And Here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=388827) is my duskblade, Laelaer.

Sophistemon
2012-04-10, 02:08 PM
Hello, everyone. My name is Sophistemon, and I'll... I'll be playing an elf.

Specifically, I'll be playing a gray elf Beguiler named Indrys Aneirion.

Watch this space; I'll have a sheet written and posted before too long.


~~~~~EDIT~~~~~

The sheet is done. You can find it here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=390055).

Destro_Yersul
2012-04-10, 02:23 PM
And that makes everyone. Lovely! I myself have only a little more to go on this nice shiny briefing document for you guys. In the meantime, I have added a map to the first post. Behold, the world! You guys will be starting in Mercadia.

Blarghy
2012-04-10, 09:18 PM
Those are...some nice trade routes. And sea information.

>.>

<.<

*Goes to research pirate character concepts*

...Ergh, "legitimate, free-spirited seafaring entrepreneur."

Destro_Yersul
2012-04-11, 11:59 PM
Right. Player briefing document has gone out to everyone that needs it. Backstories ho! Once all the characters are in, I'll start up the game proper. Link to the document is in the OP if anybody wants to start a collection or something.

Sophistemon
2012-04-13, 02:12 AM
I've updated my last post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13047596&postcount=7) with my character sheet. It's done, for the most part; I've just got to purchase some more adventuring gear.

Blarghy, if you're still interested in playing a nautical character, Indrys' trips from Mercadia to Altyria and back could be a good point for them to meet up.

Artemis, Destro tells me that your character might be from Vayentsia, where Indrys studied magic. If that's true, the two could have met there, too.

Artemis97
2012-04-13, 07:55 AM
That sounds like a plan. I was actually going to ask you about the same thing. If you catch me on MSN, we can chat about it there. I should, hopefully, have my finished sheet up tonight. I just need to work out spells and equipment.

Sophistemon
2012-04-13, 01:30 PM
Absolutely. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Slii Arhem
2012-04-13, 01:46 PM
Okay, so far what I've got is that my dwarf, Glaffin, hails from the Coastal Mountains of Altyria, but a few years ago he took the southern route to Mercadia. On the way there, he met Art's drow in Vayentsia, and she spent a few days showing him around the city.

Anyone else care to link a chance meeting or a bit of background to Glaffin? He's pretty much a blank slate history wise. Perhaps Blarghy's pirate served on the ship Glaffin used to travel to Mercadia, along with Sophist's grey elf?

Sophistemon
2012-04-14, 02:20 AM
Artemis and I have been discussing it, and we're now pretty sure that our characters met while attending Shadeveil University, in Altyria. The two become friends and Artemis' character decides to travel with mine back to Mercadia when he is expelled due to lack of funds. I'd welcome anyone who would like to tie themselves to these events in some way.

Blarghy
2012-04-14, 06:59 PM
My sheet's in my first post. Just how much one character or another knows about Alec's habits depends on how likely they are to accept them; he isn't ashamed of his religious preferences, nor is he reluctant to have spirited philosophical debates, but he also isn't usually eager to ruin friendships.

Of course, it looks like a full half of the group now worships Loktar in some fashion, so I don't think he'll be ostracized.

The Orange Zergling
2012-04-14, 07:15 PM
I'm perfectly fine with Thorus not having met anyone beforehand, but in case anybody was thinking along similar lines, he started off in the Castlegard guard and then began hiring himself out as security to various excavations and dig sites for artifacts and such.

Slii Arhem
2012-04-14, 07:36 PM
Indeed, it looks like Glaffin is the odd one out worshipping Tharius. Then again, he's worshipping for the same reason most dwarves do things.

His father worshipped Tharius, and so did his grandfather, and his great-grandfather...

A bit of finalized backstory though, for your judgement.

Glaffin's mountain home had previously been prone to volcanic quakes and tremors, so his dwarven ancestors maintained an earthquake warning system using a pillar of stone that would fall in the direction of the upcoming quake.

For a few generations now, the quakes had been dormant, building up for a greater shift in the plates. When it came, they had just enough warning from the old system to evacuate nearly everyone, leaving most of their valuables behind. So, not being able to support themselves as a large group, the dwarves of that clan had to split into smaller groups and fend for themselves. Glaffin decided to try his luck in Mercadia, not knowing how long a journey overseas he was commiting himself to.

What this means for his motivations and interactions is that he's going to be very focused on recovering and rebuilding as much of his history as he can. Unlike some other members of his family, he's willing to pick up and move on despite losing his ancestral home, because he sees the foolhardiness in rebuilding on top of an active fault line.

And while apart from Arty's drow he hasn't officially met anyone else in the party, I could see him being interested in Thorus' expertise in excavation, when they cross paths.

Blarghy
2012-04-14, 07:43 PM
Where religion is concerned, Alec has nothing against worshippers of Tharius, aside from their tendency to hate *him*. He personally thinks both philosophies are necessary in the proper balance. So while a hard-line crusader won't earn much of his affection, he's likely to get along well with a more tolerant cleric.

Slii Arhem
2012-04-14, 07:59 PM
Glaffin is nothing if not tolerant. There can be no creation without destruction, so on and so forth. Such a trite phrase actually makes quite a bit of sense to a dwarf devoted to crafting, as the act of hammering, chiseling, dissolving and warping material is purely destructive, yet used for creative ends.

So, while Glaffin pays lip service to Tharius, he understands the necessity of Loktar and his followers.

Sophistemon
2012-04-14, 08:31 PM
I think we've got a really good group here. I really like how all of our characters have personal goals that can tie in to each other - like how both Glaffin and Indrys are interested in reclaiming their ancestral homes.

I also like how we don't all meet in a bar. The way I see it, we might have all come together after: Indrys meets Laelaer at Shadeveil University, where she's a senior student. After she finishes her studies and Indrys is expelled when his tuition payments stop coming in, she introduces him to Alec, who arranges passage for them on a ship back to Mercadia. They are accompanied by Glaffin, who is a friend of Laelaer's, and Thorus, who is a friend of Glaffin's.

Then again, it could be nothing like that, but that's how the pieces are fitting together inside of my head.

Destro_Yersul
2012-04-15, 01:35 PM
Right then! IC thread has been put up. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask them. You've all been stuck in a wagon with the caravan owner, which is more one with seats than one which carries much merchandise. Go ahead and use your first post to describe your characters, maybe say a little about what they've been doing on the trip so far.

Oh, and while I have seen everyone's backstory, they aren't all on your sheets. If you could edit those in so I'd have them there to reference if needed, that would be great.

Slii Arhem
2012-04-15, 05:19 PM
Alright, Glaffin's backstory is on my sheet, as far as I've gone into it now. Did a personality and description blurb too, if anyone's interested.

As a side note, I don't think linking Thorus and Glaffin serves any real purpose. Glaffin set sail for Mercadia two years ago, and has lived in Ferrum for the last year and a half, so I imagine his ship would have sailed long before Laelaer, Alec, and Indrys all moved there. Considering Laelaer doesn't recognize Glaffin (as Art and I decided) I think he's safely ignorant of most of the party.

Most, because as my updated sheet says, he also had a run-in with Cecily on that fateful journey, in Bravar. He knows her slightly better than Laelaer though, and Cecily is the reason he's traveling away from Ferrum in the first place.

Gullara
2012-04-15, 05:39 PM
And Cecily's backstory is also complete I do believe. Found in her sheet. I'll have an IC post up in not too long.

The Orange Zergling
2012-04-15, 09:28 PM
Also updated my sheet with backstory, under Other Notes.


As a side note, I don't think linking Thorus and Glaffin serves any real purpose. Glaffin set sail for Mercadia two years ago, and has lived in Ferrum for the last year and a half, so I imagine his ship would have sailed long before Laelaer, Alec, and Indrys all moved there. Considering Laelaer doesn't recognize Glaffin (as Art and I decided) I think he's safely ignorant of most of the party.

That's totally fine - relationships are really defined by what happens during the game, anyway.

Sophistemon
2012-04-15, 09:44 PM
That's totally fine - relationships are really defined by what happens during the game, anyway.
Absolutely; I concur one-hundred percent. I'm sorry if my post implied anything presumptuous.

Slii Arhem
2012-04-15, 09:51 PM
No apologies necessary, it was a good idea, it just didn't mesh with what I'd already had planned. This feels like a good group, and I hope we have a lot of fun together.

Sophistemon
2012-04-15, 10:09 PM
I'll raise a glass to that!

I'm already enjoying everyone's characters and I think our group has a ton (or tonne, Destro?) of potential.

The Orange Zergling
2012-04-16, 12:47 AM
Indeed; I hope this group goes places. :smallbiggrin:


Absolutely; I concur one-hundred percent. I'm sorry if my post implied anything presumptuous.

Not at all, I was mostly just looking for filler to say after "That's totally fine". :smalltongue:

Sophistemon
2012-04-17, 10:50 PM
Hey, guys.

I'm just wondering how much our characters know about the others. Is the information in the background stories public knowledge among our group, or are we all equally secretive about where we're from and where we're going?

Gullara
2012-04-18, 12:57 AM
Well, Cecily is bound to be secritive. For instance, she wouln't have told anyone she was part of a noble family, nor that she's a changeling. Ont he other hand, the fact that she's a musician and that she's traveled all over the place wouldn't be kept secret at all, nor would her previous association with Glaffin.

Slii Arhem
2012-04-18, 07:55 AM
Glaffin's ruined homestead would be public knowledge, as well as his desire to craft it anew somewhere in Mercadia. His association with Cecily is, as Ghar said, completely out in the open.

The only thing he's keeping coy about is his run-in with Laelaer, since she doesn't remember him. He doesn't really think it's important to bring up, but he does get a small smile every time he sees the goggles he made on her.

The Orange Zergling
2012-04-18, 12:40 PM
Obviously, Thorus is very open about his military background, but I would imagine that his passion for dragons would be largely unspoken until later (after all, his powers won't manifest in an obvious manner for a few levels yet). Which isn't to say he's trying to keep it secret, he just doesn't think it's relevant at the moment.

I think I'm the least-scheming one in the party by far, which is something I'll have to remedy in time. :smalltongue:

Blarghy
2012-04-18, 12:46 PM
Alec's religious inclinations would be open to anyone who didn't early and often condemn the dark god. The full extent of his family's criminal history is more secretive, although I won't resent any of the characters for suspecting it; anyone who came over with him from Altyria can likely guess that he was a pirate. His current plans are probably limited to Indrys, though, along with anyone who's also already involved in the scheme (my guess would be Laelaer).

Sophistemon
2012-04-18, 03:00 PM
I'm very interested in the fact that our group has so many de-patriated nobles.

What's also interesting is how this sub-group folds into another sub-group that wants to re-capture or re-create a homeland.

This is just a thought, but... you guys know what brings in a lot of money?

Taxes.

Slii Arhem
2012-04-18, 04:47 PM
Oh, Glaffin isn't a noble, but I do like where this thought is headed. Becoming feudal lords and getting tithes from the peasants and tarrifs for goods passing through your lands would be a grand idea.

In fact, if we're ever in the neighborhood of northern Altyria, a road between those two lovely cities just over the desert, if kept well maintained and free of highwaymen and monsters by periodic outposts and guard sweeps, would be a great source of taxation.

Of course, it would require significant investment beforehand, so maybe we can leave this aside for later.

Sophistemon
2012-04-18, 05:47 PM
Of course, it would require significant investment beforehand, so maybe we can leave this aside for later.
True enough. I have ideas of my own, but we can all talk about it later once we've grown in wealth and power.

For now, we'll think small.

Sophistemon
2012-04-22, 09:49 PM
I'm sorry for the delay in posting; I've been having late shifts and by the time I've been getting home my brain is fried.

Destro_Yersul
2012-04-22, 09:56 PM
I know how that is. Not to worry, Soph.

Destro_Yersul
2012-04-27, 11:09 AM
Initiative rolls for everyone.

Thorus: [roll0]
Cecily: [roll1]
Alec: [roll2]
Glaffin: [roll3]
Laelaer: [roll4]
Indrys: [roll5]

Master Tallhelm: [roll6]
Caravan Guards: [roll7]

The Boy: [roll8]

The caravan guards don't strictly enter into this just yet, but I've added them in case they're needed shortly. Anyone who beats the boy's initiative score (Alec and Glaffin, apparently) can make a grapple attempt, or bull rush or what have you, to stop him from running. For anyone who can't remember the grapple rules: From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple). Note that while the boy is currently unarmed, he does have a small knife stuck in his belt.

Destro_Yersul
2012-04-27, 09:02 PM
well then, if anyone needs to know whether or not the rope trick worked before taking their action...

[roll0]

It did indeed! He's entangled.

Sophistemon
2012-04-27, 10:09 PM
Right-o, let me edit my post. No point in wasting a spell!

Artemis97
2012-05-01, 09:57 AM
We are so... averagely intimidating.

Slii Arhem
2012-05-01, 10:12 AM
It's so true! :smalltongue:

Well, with the boost from aid another and the draconic aura, Laelaer has a total of 15, assuming Destro lets it work that way. Yay for being a small bit better than average!

Personally, I find it hilarious that Glaffin and Indrys are having a serious discussion about magic while all this is going on. It kind of undermines the kid's threat when two of the party members immediately forget he exists in favor of talking shop. :smallbiggrin:

Blarghy
2012-05-01, 11:37 AM
:smalltongue: No joke.

If this doesn't work out, I might give diplomacy a try. Maybe we could get some bonuses for a good cop/bad cop kind of deal? Discounting that "good cop" is a bearded pirate and "bad cop" is an unexpectedly bloodthirsty elf.

Gullara
2012-05-01, 07:47 PM
Clearly this is the technique we should use. =O

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/bobcats_thursday/bobkittens.jpg
<.< >.> Carry on.

Blarghy
2012-05-02, 11:09 AM
I'm guessing that the intimidate checks failed, judging by his not-terrified reaction, so I'll see about diplomacy. I'm doing my roll here so I can tailor the post according to the number.

The bonus from Thorus's draconic presence is included.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Blarghy
2012-05-02, 10:02 PM
New post, since editing the old one would screw up the roll.

I just noticed that I did not, in fact, buy cross-class ranks in Religion for Alec, like I could've sworn I did. I have ranks in Knowledge (Local), which is useful, but not as appropriate. Any chance I could switch that, Destro, since I haven't used either skill so far? And in this case, it seems like a downgrade in terms of actual usefulness.

Destro_Yersul
2012-05-02, 11:53 PM
yeah, go ahead.

Blarghy
2012-05-03, 10:34 AM
Cool; thanks.

Destro_Yersul
2012-05-04, 08:45 AM
Just so as you know, I'm waiting to see if there's a consensus reached on whether or not to let the kid sit up before I put in another update. If nothing's been said by tonight, I'll go ahead and update anyways.

Slii Arhem
2012-05-10, 03:55 PM
*snip*

Use Rope test for Alec, please.

Actually Destro, if you're using rope to tie someone up, you don't make the Use Rope test until after they try to escape. Unless you're trying to save time when the kid inevitably tries to flee. If that's the case, ignore my feeble ramblings.

Also Blarghy, remember that it's silk rope, so you get a +2 on the check.

Aaand that's all I seem to recall that would apply here.

Destro_Yersul
2012-05-11, 02:04 AM
Time saving device. This way, I'll have a number now in case I ever need to reference it.

Blarghy
2012-05-12, 11:25 AM
The bonus for tying someone up is included (along with the bonus for the silk rope, as well as regular dexterity). I assumed it'd be simpler to add it in now rather than use it as a penalty to any Escape Artist checks.

Use Rope: [roll0]

Sophistemon
2012-05-12, 11:37 AM
Good afternoon, everyone.

I've got some bad news - my laptop, New Hotness, is currently nonfunctional.

I am currently back to using Old and Busted, the laptop that preceded New Hotness.

Old and Busted takes ten minutes to boot, and that's the tip of the iceberg where it's problems are concerned.

I'm working to get New Hotness fixed, but I can't be sure when that's going to be.

Posting from me may be sporadic, as Old and Busted is sometimes uncooperative.

Slii Arhem
2012-05-12, 11:49 AM
Sorry to hear that Sophiste, and I wish you luck fixing New Hotness.

Sophistemon
2012-05-16, 12:32 AM
Thank you, Slii.

For now, Old and Busted is deserving of a new moniker - perhaps 'Old Reliable'?

In any case, New Hotness should be back up and running shortly.

In the meantime, I'm still able to post.

Slii Arhem
2012-05-17, 03:40 PM
Bad news in advance, I'll be gone away until late monday to do some non-internet related things. Feel free to do whatever you care to with Glaffin, and if it comes to a fight before I get back I'll say now he'll probably save his spells for healing by default.

Sophistemon
2012-05-18, 02:14 PM
Is it a mark against me that I love writing Indrys but I would hate to have to stand there and actually listen to him talk?

Artemis97
2012-05-18, 10:26 PM
Hi Everyone. Just letting you know I'm laving for my study abroad program in Sicily tomorrow morning. I won't return until June 25. Destro, ifyou need to move the story along, feel free to NPC Laelaer, or have her randomly twist her ankle or something and be unable to participate in things for a while. *shrugs* Whatever you think is easiest.

I'll see you all when I get back!

Destro_Yersul
2012-05-19, 02:23 AM
It could be, Soph. Then again, I have a lot of characters I wouldn't want to be in the same room with.

Art, of course, I was forewarned of the trip. I'll work something out until you can get back. Have a good time!

Everyone else, I'm waiting for a couple more responses before I update again. If I don't have them by monday, I'll put in another update regardless.

The Orange Zergling
2012-05-19, 06:31 PM
Personally, Soph, I'm more amused at how every post of yours thus far has been roughly the same number of lines, with roughly the same proportion of purple to black text. I don't know why, it just tickles me. :smallbiggrin:



I think this question got missed in the other thread, but how many (armed) people, roughly, are in Tallhelm's caravan? Obviously us six, but how many NPC guards or others are there who could be reasonably expected to fight?

Destro_Yersul
2012-05-19, 11:10 PM
My apologies, I meant to answer that. Must have forgotten. There are 15 armed NPC guards. The other NPCs might have knives, or something, but none of them could really be expected to put up a fight.

Sophistemon
2012-06-01, 03:53 PM
New Hotness has been repaired - I am posting from it now.

In a strange reversal of fortunes, Old and Busted appears to have finally given in to its debilitating illness, having kept itself working just long enough for its successor to return to functionality.

Old and Busted was a true and faithful friend. I wish it well on its journey to the digital afterlife.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-01, 04:22 PM
Huzzah! Repaired computer! Hope that means you'll be back to posting more frequently. :smallsmile:

Sophistemon
2012-06-04, 02:43 PM
Well, it'll certainly help!

And, look at this.

Indrys doesn't fill the entire post-box with condescending prattle.

This week has brought many miracles, don't you think?

Gullara
2012-06-09, 12:47 AM
Oh hey. A natural 20 on my spot check. =O
Shame my modifier is only +2 with help. :smalltongue:

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-09, 05:03 AM
ye gods, you people and your rolls.

Oh, and I should mention, Art's character is staying with the wagons, seeing as Art is still away.

Sophistemon
2012-06-10, 02:24 AM
I was... really not expecting to contribute to our string of excellent Spot checks.

Color me surprised! And pleased!

Slii Arhem
2012-06-10, 07:40 AM
I'm pretty sure these bandits are just going to fall victim to the wrath of the random number gods at this rate. If all our rolls were this high, we'd be kings by now.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-10, 12:30 PM
Mine, of course, are typically low. I rolled with my dice, just in case it was really high and managed to get by all of your really high ones, but nothing doing. Die came up 2. Followed by 1.

I'll see about getting an update posted...

Blarghy
2012-06-14, 05:41 PM
Are we mounted? Or on foot?

I'd assume the former, given how hard it'd be to chase down the horses and join the battle if we're deliberately hanging back.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-15, 04:28 AM
Yeah, you guys are mounted, although it's not like the Caravan is going particularly fast, or left you particularly far behind. I'll get a map up at some point today.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-15, 04:14 PM
Ok, so, map time. At this point, the bandits have not noticed you. Grey rectangles are horses, because I can't draw. Red circles are bandits, Thorus and Cecily obviously excepted. Blue circles are caravan members. For the sake of simplicity, civilians have not been drawn. Assume they are hiding, or something. Willam and Dayne are marked seperately, because they have different skills and whatnot.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/BanditAmbush.png?t=1339791261

With that out of the way, we need some initiative rolls.
Bandit Leader: [roll0]
Bandits: [roll1]

Willam: [roll2]
Guards: [roll3]
Dayne: [roll4]

Thorus: [roll5]
Glaffin: [roll6]
Cecily: [roll7]
Alec: [roll8]
Indrys: [roll9]

Your group gets +1 from Thorus' aura. This has been included in these rolls. Bandits would have gotten a surprise round, but they got noticed. Sucks to be them. Though, not so much, as thanks to that roll, they still go before pretty much everyone, except Thorus.

Oh, and before anyone asks: yes, there are more wagons. Two of them contain guards, which puts four guard tokens not on the map. One of them also contains your prisoner, who is not on the map either.

The Orange Zergling
2012-06-15, 07:48 PM
As soon as I post my action, I realized my post was laughably vague; Thorus is the one attacking, not his horse. Just to avoid confusion. :smallredface:

Blarghy
2012-06-17, 09:39 PM
...Well, I have to say, I expected that. It's just like in your last game: I roll very well until it really matters, then I do horribly. The next round with the combination of charge penalties and flat-footed-ness could be unfortunate now.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-19, 02:22 PM
Commence operation Frakload of Dice.

Leader and Thorus' other friend are both rather dead, so they don't get any dice. Sucks to be them. The southern bandit is also dead, so no dice for him either. Everyone else gets dice.

First, the bandits.
The three up near the top have crossbows, and aren't afraid to use them. First one shoots at Dayne, on his horse.

damage: 1d6 botched the d6, but he misses, lucky for Dayne.

second one moves down the hill, and shoots at one of the horses pulling the front wagon.

damage: 1d6 also botched the d6. Rolled a 3 with one of mine. 11HP to the horse.

the last one turns around, and fires his crossbow at Thorus
[roll4]
damage: [roll5] el missington.

The four just below them are holding shortbows, and are firing one shot each at the guards in the lead wagon. Two guards, so two shots per guard.
At Guard A:
[roll6]
[roll7]
damage:
[roll8]
[roll9] failure.

At Guard B:
[roll10]
[roll11]
damage:
[roll12]
[roll13] Good rolls, but they hit the cover.

The single bandit behind them moves forwards to get away from Thorus, and attempts to cast Grease on the horses pulling the lead wagon. He's got studded leather too, so 15% failure chance.
[roll14] le not failure.

assuming he passes, the horses have to make reflex saves to not fall down:
[roll15] le failure
[roll16] and le not failure. Down goes the wounded horse.

The horses belonging to the bandits Thorus killed run away. The other horsed bandit wheels around and moves in to attack him.
[roll17]
[roll18] he rolled a 4 :elan:

The four other bandits in a line jump down the hill to hide from the guards behind the broken wagon, and take shots at Alec and Glaffin. Two each.
Alec: [roll19]
[roll20]
damage:
[roll21]
[roll22] saved by the studded leather.

Glaffin: [roll23] FAIL
[roll24] but that's a hit.
damage:
[roll25]
[roll26] Glaffin takes 6 HP damage.

Which leaves two living bandits. They move near each other, and take potshots with shortbows and Indrys and Cecily. One each.

Indrys:
[roll27]
[roll28]

Cecily:
[roll29]
[roll30] let us never speak of these rolls again.

That's all the bandits, so let's see what they accomplish!

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-19, 02:45 PM
Lots of bugger all, that's what they accomplish. Guards have low initiative, so they're after you guys. Except for Dayne. Willam is sort of focused on driving, so that's him out of the way.

Dayne steers his horse around the other side of the lead cart, and shoots at the bandit that shot at him.
[roll0]
[roll1]

missed. IC update shall be incoming.

UPDATE: Get ye mappe:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/BanditAmbush2.png

Blarghy
2012-06-19, 06:31 PM
Much as I hate to mention it, I think both those bolts should've hit Alec. His flat-footed AC is 13, so with the charge penalty, doesn't that put him at 11 for this round? Unless the archers are firing past their range, which seems unlikely.

Slii Arhem
2012-06-19, 06:50 PM
Well, I guess I know who Glaffin is healing first. He may be at 2 health, but Alec is clearly in more dire straights if he got hit by both. He'd be at -2 by my count, which is pretty harsh.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-20, 12:46 PM
He had a surprise round, so he's not actually flat-footed. The rules might technically work that way, I'm not sure, but that would be stupid. That said, he still has -2 for the charge, which I legitimately forgot, so they do both hit.

meaning that, being unconcious, he needs a roll to see if he falls off his horse.
[roll0] let's say low numbers are bad.
[roll1]

so yes, he does fall off. 50% chance and all. Takes 2 more HP from the fall in the bargain, putting him at -4 right now.

IC post has been updated to reflect this.

Slii Arhem
2012-06-20, 02:06 PM
Well, I have to say with this being my first experience with 3.5 PbP, it feels good to be the healer.

Now we just have to survive long enough for the cavalry to come in.

Sophistemon
2012-06-21, 12:27 PM
I think that I can help with that.

Blarghy
2012-06-22, 03:34 PM
It looks like Glaffin comes after Alec in the initiative roster, so I assume Alec's turn is spent lying there bleeding to death. =P On the bright side, he'll be able to get a point of health back from the fast healing feature before the spell puts him above half his total.

Also, I'm going to be gone until late next week. I'm flying out to a conference. If Alec gets an action before I'm back, he'll stay on foot and try to get closer to the crossbow bandits while using his horse as cover. Unless there're other bandits in his immediate area, in which case murder is a good alternative plan.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-22, 04:13 PM
Alright, thanks for the heads up. I guess that means it's time for more rolls, and a new map, since with Alec out for his round everyone we need has already posted. The fast healing from Thorus means he doesn't even need to roll and see if he bleeds out - he goes up one point, is stabilised by the magic healing aura, and then Glaffin uses a heal, putting him at 3HP.

Also, it seems I need will saves for that pair of bandits in the middle there. They're the only ones Indrys can reach without needing to make a concentration check to keep his spell. It truly sucks to be those guys.

[roll0] - well, not this guy. Good job, Bandit A!
[roll1] - You, on the other hand... no bonus for you!

So, the guards need to get their licks in. They are, predominantly, human warriors, and they have rapid reload and quick draw. Since right now they're all armed with crossbows, none of them is moving.

so let's shoot bandits. The four in the rear wagons shoot at the bandits behind the broken wagon. Those bandits have cover, so this is a trickier shot. Fortunately, they can hear Cecily singing, so they get +1.
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

one hit, and max damage to boot. Huzzah.

and the four in the upper wagons will shoot at the ones still on the hill. No cover for those guys.
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]

Better! Two hits, and I need a crit roll for that second guy.

which leaves the outriders. Those guys have swords and bows. The one at the bottom charges the bandits by the wagon.
[roll18]
[roll19]

and hits most mightily. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.

The other one can't get around the wagons, so he moves his horse up near Dayne's and takes a potshot at the bandits.
[roll20]
[roll21] FAILURE.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-22, 05:33 PM
my mistake, Alec is out of range of the aura.

so he needs a roll. [roll0]

that is not a stabilise, Alec. Stop making my life difficult. He winds up at 1HP from the heal, then.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-22, 06:35 PM
So, critical confirmation for Mr. Fancypants guard there.
[roll0]
[roll1] - makes it. Look at you, dealing 14 damage to that bandit.

And that puts it back to Thorus, who missed, which means it is bandit time again.

Not so many of them anymore. Let's see...

the three at the top with the crossbows go Rapid Reload, and then fire again.
one at Dayne:
[roll2]
[roll3] - 7HP. More than he has, and my dice apparently dislike him. He falls off his horse, and takes 4HP additional damage.

one at Willam:
[roll4]
[roll5] - 5HP. Also more than he has, but he is not on a horse. Slumps over in his seat.

and one at the guard below Willam.
[roll6]
[roll7] - Wishful thinking from him. I'm pretty sure he needed a natural 20.

then, we have the spellcaster, who does not approve of Indrys. Magic Missile!
[roll8] Failure chance. Low numbers BAD.
[roll9] - no failure, and that can't miss. 3HP to our valiant elf.

Thorus' dancing partner attacks with his shortsword
[roll10]
[roll11] - oh, horse bandit. You suck so hard.

Then, the two left out of the group on the hill, who have shortbows. They each take a shot at the horsed guard by the broken wagon.
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15] - bazinga! 7HP.

Then, they move up near the crossbow group.

The two left by the wagon also shoot at the horse guard. Unlike their fellows, they do not move afterwards.
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19] - 4HP. Rolled with one of my dice to see if he fell off his horse. He did. 1 more HP damage to him, for 12 total. He's dead, Jim.

Bandit A, who passed his will save, decides that discretion is the better part of valour and moves north, away from Indrys, shooting as he goes.
[roll20]
[roll21] - he's got a shortbow, so that's no crit, but it is 4HP more. That's 7 total, which matches Indrys' HP exactly. So he's not unconcious, yet. OF NOTE: At the beginning of his turn, he regains 1HP from Thorus' aura.

last, his poor friend is out of the fight for [roll22] + [roll23] +1 rounds. 10 total, so I think he's useless for the rest of the fight.

With the bandits done, I have one more roll to make. Dayne, assuming he is still alive, reins his horse in, and takes a shot at the crossbow bandit nearest him.
[roll24]
[roll25] - NOPE.

oh, and one other thing I forgot. The uninjured horse on the front wagon makes a strength check. My dice give me 22, which is plenty. That's going in the update.

EDIT: New and improved map, now with coordinates! One of the crossbow bandits is standing on the M. I told him that was inconsiderate, but he didn't seem to care.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/BanditAmbush3.png?t=1340409854

Sophistemon
2012-06-23, 12:49 AM
Ouch! I'm tottering on the edge of consciousness!

Why, oh why did I think that charging into the middle of a battle while in the body of a squishy elf magician was a good idea?

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-23, 02:11 AM
only you can answer that, Soph. My guess, you had a shiny magic spell you really wanted to use.

Do note that because of Thorus' aura, you do get 1HP back at the start of your turn, so you don't need to worry about the normal consequences of 0HP.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-26, 02:40 PM
Right, been a few days. Soph, yer gettin' autopiloted, based on the last course of action you mentioned to me. Cecily and Glaffin have owned their bandits, and Thorus has owned his. Roll to see if the bandit falls off his horse: [roll0]

1 he falls, 2 he stays.

He stays. That is the first anything to stay on its horse after being knocked unconcious. Fanfare is in order.

And it's the guards! Something I aactually forgot last turn was Dayne's roll to stabilise, so that can go here.
[roll1] Epic fail.

Willam gets one too: [roll2] regular fail.

The guards in the last two wagons are out of range of the bandits. They jump out, and move up. The ones in back do a double move, the ones in front make it to the broken wagon and take potshots at the two bandits nearest them.

A: [roll3]
[roll4] - missington.

B: [roll5]
[roll6] - but this guy hits. Another dead bandit.

Guard by Dayne jumps off his horse and tries to do first aid. He's untrained, but there's no special penalty for that.

[roll7] - success! Dayne is no longer dying.

and the remaining four guards return fire. The two in the top wagon shoot at one crossbow bandit, and the spellcaster.

Crossbow guy: [roll8]
[roll9]

Squishy Mage: [roll10]
[roll11] - more failure.

the two in the other wagon shoot at the same crossbow bandit as the other guy, and one of the regular bandits.

Crossbow guy: [roll12]
[roll13] - that's a hit, and the crossbow guy is DOWN.

Other guy: [roll14]
[roll15] - yet more failure.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-26, 02:53 PM
And that's the guards taken care of. Now, for the bandits. There are five of them left standing. The two with crossbows take shots at Thorus.

[roll0]
[roll1] - miss.

[roll2]
[roll3]

The spellcaster takes stock of the situation, and elects to book it. One of the shortbow wielders goes with him. The other one takes a shot at Cecily, then follows.

[roll4]
[roll5]

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-26, 02:55 PM
Oh hai, critical threats.

Thorus: [roll0]
[roll1]

Cecily: [roll2]
[roll3]

Ok, so Cecily takes 10HP damage, and Thorus takes 5. Thorus has 13, and really cannot be arsed about that, but Cecily only had 7. She's at -3, and might fall off her horse. I'll roll that in with the IC update.

It has been rolled, and she stayed on the horse. Le Mappe:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/BanditAmbush4.png

Blarghy
2012-06-28, 11:41 AM
I'm gone for less than a week, and it looks like damn near everyone is dead or dying. =P

I want to make sure I've got this straight: only two bandits are left on the map, and they're the Cs (for crossbowmen, I assume) on the north side of the map, yes? The others, spellcaster included, have made a run for it? And each square is five feet, meaning that Alec could theoretically make a 30 foot move to the north and reach the leftmost crossbowman of the pair? Assuming again that both he and the bandit live until his turn, although a good backup would be to go almost as far north and toss his knife at either of the two crossbowmen (unless I've grossly misread the map).

Somebody's picking up a crossbow after this fight. I'd forgotten that rogues are only slightly more durable than wizards, and slightly less durable than papier-m‚chť.

Slii Arhem
2012-06-28, 11:46 AM
That's about the long and the short of it. I've been waiting for Sophiste to post for the last round, since Indrys is on 1HP and can still move, before deciding on who to use my last CLW's on. I've got some cure minor wounds as well, but from the shape we're in stabilizing people just isn't going to cut it.

If anyone's got a suggestion as to who I should heal, I'm all ears. Otherwise, once the battle's over, we should probably just let Thorus' fastheal aura take us all up to half health, then decide from there who needs the boost in hitpoints.

Also, Glaffin fully intends to purloin one of the crossbows. Hopefully there will be enough to go around. :smalltongue:

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-28, 11:47 AM
Two crossbowmen are left, yes. Two shortbowmen and the spellcaster have done a runner. One guy is unconcious from colour spray (The one with the blue X over him).

And yes, you could just reach that first one with your 30ft move.

EDIT: I have been ninja'd.

Sophistemon
2012-06-28, 12:04 PM
I'm sorry that I've been so silent, lately; I've been dealing with some pretty heavy stuff.

I should be back to posting more regularly tomorrow.

Slii Arhem
2012-06-28, 12:13 PM
No skin off my back to wait Sophiste. Just keep your head high and watch out for falling birds alright? Real Life comes first, especially when it comes from the bathroom.

Okay, I think I've mangled enough unfunny sayings for now. Hope things brighten up for you soon.

Blarghy
2012-06-29, 01:44 PM
Right. Is it my turn, using the map as it is? I'm still not sure with Thorus; his post prior to Destro's update was his action for this turn, yes? Since he's ahead of everyone. I didn't update earlier because I wanted to see how the situation looked when it got to me.

Also, another question, which everyone else might want to take into account: just how far have the spellcaster and the other bandits fled? If they're using double moves and light horses, I assume it could be as much as 100 feet from the field. But that's still within a crossbow's reach, if you took the penalty from firing out of the first range increment.

Just food for thought. I dunno about everyone else, but I get nervous at the idea of letting an enemy wizard live to cast another day.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong, but Destro's post implies that at least the wizard is on foot, which makes it an even better idea to gun him down. Or for Thorus, our resident god of vengeance, to go galloping after him.

Slii Arhem
2012-06-29, 02:09 PM
Well, the last round hasn't ended yet, since Indrys' turn hasn't been taken, but since Zergling posted for the next round there's very little to stop the rest of you from posting if you know what you're doing. You're right that all of the bandits besides the rear three or so were on foot, but if the spellcaster chose to disengage and run, he'd be moving at 120ft per round, so unless Thorus is interested in chasing him until his constitution gives out, it'll be quite the task catching him.

As for me, I continue to hold my action until I can figure out who to heal. It's not like I'm particularly high on this round's initiative anyway.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-29, 04:57 PM
Right. Is it my turn, using the map as it is? I'm still not sure with Thorus; his post prior to Destro's update was his action for this turn, yes? Since he's ahead of everyone. I didn't update earlier because I wanted to see how the situation looked when it got to me.

Also, another question, which everyone else might want to take into account: just how far have the spellcaster and the other bandits fled? If they're using double moves and light horses, I assume it could be as much as 100 feet from the field. But that's still within a crossbow's reach, if you took the penalty from firing out of the first range increment.

Just food for thought. I dunno about everyone else, but I get nervous at the idea of letting an enemy wizard live to cast another day.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong, but Destro's post implies that at least the wizard is on foot, which makes it an even better idea to gun him down. Or for Thorus, our resident god of vengeance, to go galloping after him.


Well, the last round hasn't ended yet, since Indrys' turn hasn't been taken, but since Zergling posted for the next round there's very little to stop the rest of you from posting if you know what you're doing. You're right that all of the bandits besides the rear three or so were on foot, but if the spellcaster chose to disengage and run, he'd be moving at 120ft per round, so unless Thorus is interested in chasing him until his constitution gives out, it'll be quite the task catching him.

As for me, I continue to hold my action until I can figure out who to heal. It's not like I'm particularly high on this round's initiative anyway.

Ok, in order here.

Yes, it is your turn, map as-is. All the bandits still living are on foot, and you don't see any horses waiting for them. Thorus' action was for the beginning of this round. The spellcaster and his friend have fled 60ft north, 30ft for the one guy who fired an arrow first.

The last round has, actually, ended. The last information I had from Soph, over MSN, was that Indrys was going to move towards Glaffin. I took that as his action, and shifted the elf and his horse accordingly on the map. If Soph wants to correct me, I can adjust, but that's how it stands right now.

Blarghy
2012-06-29, 06:16 PM
That all sounds good. As for me, I'm off to see if I can pick up a nice, shiny, new crossbow. And if the bandit is kind enough to have it loaded and then die for me (I really hope I roll decently this time, given Alec's current health; if not, that sound you'll hear is me gnawing angrily on my laptop), next round I'll test it out on one of the running enemies. Assuming that Thorus doesn't somehow kill all three of them in one turn. =P

Edit: wait a minute, why does Alec have a 6 by his little map token? Did he get healed again when I wasn't looking? I thought he only had 1 HP.

Slii Arhem
2012-06-29, 06:24 PM
The 6 is how far he is from his max health at the moment. he's taken 6 damage total, between damage and healing.

Also, since only one of the crossbowmen have been downed so far, I'm laying tentative claim on whatever one I can salvage. Glaffin can't use a shortbow, and he's already proved how squishy he is in melee combat.

Blarghy
2012-06-29, 06:48 PM
Yesss, a much better set of rolls than last time. Even if Alec gets shot again, I can still feel like I accomplished something in this mess.

As for looting, a shortbow would probably be a better choice for me, truth be told. I don't plan to use a feat for quicker crossbow reloading, and you never know when you'll wish you'd had that move action for something else. So, if there's one to spare, Alec might pick it up instead (although I wouldn't mind claiming the crossbow I hope I just earned, it being his first kill of the game and all, but another trophy would work just as well). We'll see how it plays out when the dust settles.

Gullara
2012-06-29, 07:04 PM
Cecily could use a crossbowshortbow too. Some ranged combat (behind cover) suits her far better than putting herself out in the open. :smalltongue:

Slii Arhem
2012-06-29, 07:06 PM
Ah yes, can't forget the value of trophies. There are plenty of shortbows to go around though, assuming the guards don't claim them all. Cecily and Glaffin chargenuked two shortbow users just next to Alec last round in fact.

The Orange Zergling
2012-06-29, 08:02 PM
Heh, resident god of vengeance. That just made my day. :smallbiggrin:

While I, as a player, agree it would probably make more sense to gun down the spellcaster, I can't really see Thorus ignoring the immediate threat to go do that. Besides, him surviving provides a possible plot-hook for later. :smalltongue:

As for looting, I was hoping to pick up a composite bow of some kind; failing that, probably a crossbow. Either way, some throwing knives too, because Rule of Cool.

EDIT: Huh. I assume the forum's dice roller doesn't work if you edit your post? I did the code improperly, so I had to edit my post to roll, and now the roll still isn't working at all. :smallconfused:

Slii Arhem
2012-06-29, 08:13 PM
You may want to copypaste the old post, delete it, then repost. It's an odd thing, where you can edit your post so long as you don't touch the parts to do with the rolls.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-30, 02:26 AM
Yeah, the forum roller hates edits. Probably something to do with fudging rolls. You can reroll them yourself, or I can just fold them into the update when I get to it. Your choice. If you haven't picked by the time I can update, I'll fold them in.

In other news, Soph reports he is currently having the same "Server Not Found" issue as a bunch of other people, so I'm going to see about working around that.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-30, 04:04 AM
Ok, workaround found and posted, which means it is now time for me to do yon update. As promised, rolls for Thorus shall be included here:

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] - he misses.

And now!

Willam roll to stabilise:
[roll2] - NOPE

Guard roll for first aid:
[roll3] - these guards are good at this.

the outrider gets a shot at the bandits with his bow:
[roll4]
[roll5] - hit, but that's really low damage. He doesn't drop his target.

Three of the wagon guards take long-range shots at the fleeing bandits. Also, herp de derp, I just realised I've been forgetting to include their base attack bonus.
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11] - these guys all miss. Shame. They rolled great for damage.

and one more of those, for another guard:
[roll12]
[roll13] - this guy hits, though. Goodbye, fleeing bandit A.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-30, 04:13 AM
Which just leaves Crossbow Bandit, who is in combat with Thorus. He does not approve of this state of affairs, and moves out of contact. Thorus gets an attack of opportunity:

[roll0]
[roll1] - And the resident god of vengeance claims another victim.

assuming Le Bandit survives, he shoots at Thorus with his crossbow.
[roll2]
[roll3]

The rest of them keep running.

Right. At this point, the map no longer has any bandit tokens on it, and everyone is stabilised, which means this is Le Final Map. There are two bandits still alive, and they are running north. Three of the guards have elected to pursue on horseback.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/BanditAmbush5.png

Blarghy
2012-06-30, 10:49 AM
Ready...


Set...


Loot!

=D

Sophistemon
2012-06-30, 11:28 AM
Many thanks go to Destro for facilitating my post.

The forum was most uncooperative.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-30, 11:52 AM
Indeed. At any rate, I'm off to sleep now. This is what I need from you guys:


Who is chasing the bandits?
How do they plan on pursuing said course of action?
For anyone NOT chasing bandits, what do you do?


For reference, there are 14 dead bandits, two fleeing bandits, one formerly fleeing dead bandit, and one unconcious bandit. Anyone with specific questions, post 'em here, I'll answer when I wake up.

An important side note: Anyone who chases bandits gets to stay in initiative order. Anyone who does not chase bandits is out of initiative, but is only getting one round worth of actions resolved per round of the bandit chase.

Art, feel free to bring Laelaer back in at any time.

Blarghy
2012-06-30, 12:07 PM
Alec is decidedly not chasing the bandits. I'd hoped to have him grab the fallen crossbow and try to hit someone, but it isn't loaded, and picking something up is a move action. So, by the time he had it ready, they'd have a good three rounds of movement to get away from the field. It seems better to just let the guards/mounted PCs handle it.

I've got other work planned for him, including some dialogue with a few of the other characters, unless those certain ones go sprinting off. One of the first things he'll do is search the body of the bandit he killed, so if you wanted to think about what he has on him other than the crossbow and dagger, that'd be good. I'm not expecting to find too much.

Slii Arhem
2012-06-30, 12:28 PM
Glaffin is unconcerned with looting for the first round, as I just posted. Mainly he's worried about getting that unconscious bandit secured and tending to as many wounded people as he can, starting with the unconscious.

Sorry Indrys, your wound just isn't fatal enough it seems. :smalltongue:

His actions for this round basically amount to:

1. A lot of talking
2. Finding his rope in his bag
3. Tossing it to the nearby guard

Hopefully by next round, I'll know if Thorus and his healing aura are sticking around. If they are, Glaffin can conserve his spells, but if Thorus takes off after the bandits, I'm going to pray that one CLW's can somehow be split between five or six heavily wounded folks. :smallbiggrin:

Blarghy
2012-06-30, 12:40 PM
Don't worry about Alec unless he goes back into the negatives for some reason. He's staying on the safe side of the field; the only trouble I could foresee is if that sleeping bandit wakes up and tries to escape in Alec's direction. Other than that, he can wait until the next day for more healing, assuming he doesn't just heal naturally (Destro confirmed via MSN that he gets a point back this round for being next to Thorus, so he's at 2 now, maybe even 3, which would be all he can get back from the aura).

Also, Alec will have something to say to Glaffin before long. Maybe with my next post, assuming Thorus doesn't want to hang out and chat, which I doubt; he's of far more use either sitting by the wounded, or even running for more blood. If he does leave with the other guards, I vote that you use your last main spell to bring Cecily back, then spam Tallhelm with all your remaining cantrips.

Slii Arhem
2012-06-30, 12:43 PM
My remaining cantrip is a Message spell I could expend. I used the create water earlier in the day to, well, create water.

Still, Tallhelm can probably wait, and Glaffin would be more worried about Cecily, since she's a close friend.

Blarghy
2012-06-30, 12:49 PM
My first thought was "she's also a bard," but she doesn't know any Cure spells, looks like. Ah well.

Unless we get attacked again, I think we're going to be fine.

Slii Arhem
2012-06-30, 01:23 PM
Unless we get attacked again, I think we're going to be fine.

Just because the GM is asleep doesn't mean it's safe to tempt fate.

Destro_Yersul
2012-06-30, 05:57 PM
Ok, looks like Thorus is sticking around, which means it's down to the guards to back and forth the bandits for a bit.

So, here we go. For the outrider:
[roll0]
[roll1] - miss

For the two crossbowmen on horseback:
[roll2]
[roll3] - hit and killed. One left.
[roll4]
[roll5] - miss

For the chaps in the wagons. Another long shot for them, but better than nothing.
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13] - hit. Two damage to the already wounded guy. Sucks to be you, low-health bandit. It's not much, yet again, but it is enough to put that guy at 0HP. Guards are chasing him, so he's pretty much hosed. I'm calling this one dead.
[roll14]
[roll15]

Let's see if any of the bandits survive that. They do not. Then I can put in an IC post, and get down to the aftermath of all this.

EDIT: And actually, before I forget, that sorts the fight. Everyone can have 500XP, (You too, Art. Nothing worse than lagging behind due to RL stuff about which I was fully forewarned), since this worked out to be a little tougher than initially expected. You had guard backup, though, so it's not as bad as it could have been.

EDIT EDIT: IC update is done. Alec's bandit was carrying 45 gold coins. All the bandits are wearing studded leather and carrying shortswords. Most of them also have daggers or knives (12, including the one Alec found). There are 11 shortbows and 3 longbows, none composite. There are three light crossbows, again including the one Alec found. The leader's armour is masterwork, as is his sabre (scimitar, for rules purposes). The two other mounted bandits had longswords instead of shortswords.

Blarghy
2012-06-30, 07:54 PM
So, anyone need a short sword? I'm claiming the knife, gold, and shoes (to sell in the little town, unless I'm incredibly lucky and it's the first magic item of the game, in which case we can figure out ownership as a group depending on what they do). The crossbow is a gift, as my post says. I don't know if I want to even bother with the armor. It could be a tax to Tallhelm, I guess. Like I've mentioned, I'd like one of the shortbows, if possible. Destro, do you want to just tell us what the guards are taking, if anything, or should we work that out IC?

I'll update my sheet all at once, after I find out about the bow (the boots too, if someone wants to spot them and throw a Detect Magic my way, although I seriously doubt it'll turn anything up; an Appraise check is probably more logical).

Slii Arhem
2012-06-30, 08:43 PM
Sadly, Glaffin expended his detect magic. He will be taking some of that studded leather, even if it'll be a bit long on his stocky frame. The gold he could care less about for the moment, and the gifted crossbow will more than suffice as spoils of war.

Slii Arhem
2012-06-30, 08:49 PM
Whoops, looks like the forum didn't like me previewing that IC post. Well, I'll roll here for the cure light wounds on Dayne then.

[roll0]

Destro_Yersul
2012-07-01, 12:17 AM
Ok, first thing is first. Moar loot. Glaffin is searching Le Tied Up Guy. Now, I could do this one at a time, but really, why bother? You guys are probably going to loot everyone anyways. So, here you go. Here's the Big Pile of Phat Lewt. Note: Does NOT include the 45gp on Alec's bandit. Also, while I am including values on a couple things, that doesn't mean your characters necessarily know the value just by looking at it. It's just easier for book-keeping if I do it this way.

Copper: 50 coins
Silver: 250 coins
Gold: 285 coins

Other: Polished obsidian charm (8gp). Silver ring set with blue stone (50gp). 1 vial of antitoxin. 2 potions Cure Light Wounds.

That is all that the bandits are carrying with them.

EDIT: For reference, the spellcasting bandit was the one carrying the obsidian charm. It does not register as magical.

Also, I decided to do the math. There were ten guards who participated in that fight and lived. One, Dayne, was injured and survived. If you want to divide the money evenly between all the fighting men, with double shares to anyone who got wounded (Dayne plus you five. Willam was wounded too, but he didn't fight), that makes it 14.78gp/share. All of you guys would get 29.56gp each, with the same to Dayne. You may also wish to give Alec's share to Laelaer, seeing as he already got some. :smalltongue:

Artemis97
2012-07-01, 07:39 AM
Laelaer would like some coin, yes. Might she also be able to get one of the crossbows from a fallen bandit? She doesn't exactly have a ranged weapon, I noticed.

Slii Arhem
2012-07-01, 08:53 AM
And it's good to see her back. Now the awkward back and forth about who exactly made Laelaer's goggles can continue, and I can resume giggling from my corner.

29 gold and change seems like a fair reward for our first fight, on top of new weapons and whatever Tallhelm will pay us once we reach Seabreak.

For Arty's reference, there are two crossbows left, and none of the guards need one, since they were all carrying ones of their own. Anyone who can use a shortbow might benefit more from the reliable reload speed than the slightly higher damage of a light crossbow, but other than that the crossbows are up for grabs as far as I know.

Destro informed me that Tallhelm would supply anyone with a new crossbow with bolts, so I marked down three quivers worth on my sheet on top of the crossbow Alec gave Glaffin, and the scavenged studded leather.

On the topic of the masterwork armor and scimitar, I'm not really sure who needs them most. The armor should most likely go to Thorus unless he has better, but Glaffin can make masterwork arms and armor more cheaply than it can be bought, so if we sell the scimitar and get a good price for it, he might be able to turn that money around and churn out two or three masterwork weapons if we spend enough time in Seabreak.

Destro_Yersul
2012-07-01, 09:11 AM
Thorus has regular studded leather, I just checked.

There are also three longbows, for anyone who can use those. Points over the crossbows on reload speed.

Blarghy
2012-07-01, 09:29 AM
Will Tallhelm be supplying arrows for the new bows as well, Destro? I have none, although I assume there're as many quivers for looting as there were bows.

And I like the distribution of spoils. Alec is more than fine; if anything, he seems to have cheated everyone else. >.>

It seems appropriate for Tallhelm to get the various unclaimed gear together and sell it on our behalf (hopefully some of those funds'll trickle down too), given that I assume he's a better merchant than a warlord. =P This little coastal town is about to get flooded with their age-equivalent of cheap AK-47s. I shudder to think of what it'll do to the crime rate, given the vacuum we've just created. =P

Edit: XD at the rope check. Is the job visibly terrible? Even with the bonus for binding someone over making an escape check, anybody paying attention might want to give it another try. Not that escaping seems like a good idea for the bandit under the circumstances, but still.

Destro_Yersul
2012-07-01, 09:34 AM
He shouldn't need to. Gathering up what's left from the bandits, you could put together a good 75-80 arrows, easily. If needed, he could probably spare a few, though. Who all is taking bows?

EDIT: With a four? You can tell it's not the best hogtying job around, though there's really no saying for sure how much it would stand up to. If you were going to be trusting your weight to the bonds, though, you'd probably want to consider re-tying it.

Blarghy
2012-07-01, 09:52 AM
If anybody checks the ropes, I suspect it'll be Glaffin; he looks like he's got the prisoner under control. Or maybe Thorus, since I suspect he and Laelaer will be doing most of the Intimidate checks.

For bows, I'll gladly split the arrows with anyone who also needs them. I'll hold off on updating my sheet until everyone speaks up.

The Orange Zergling
2012-07-01, 01:41 PM
Wow, this game moved fast all of a sudden. O.o

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't mind the masterwork armor - less armor check penalty is always nice - but if it's an upgrade for someone else who wants or needs it more then they can take it. Or if selling it and crafting more is more efficient, that's perfectly fine too.
For some insane reason, dragon shamans are only proficient in simple weapons, so I'm not claiming the scimitar.

Slii Arhem
2012-07-01, 01:53 PM
Laelaer might do well with the scimitar come to think of it. According to the PHB2, Duskblades are only proficient with Martial weapons. I'm assuming it's an error though, as I've never heard of another class that's proficient in martial weapons and not simple.

Glaffin's got no Use Rope skill to speak of, so I think he'll pass that job off to Thorus so he can give the dead guard his last rites here in my next post.

Gullara
2012-07-01, 02:17 PM
Cecily will be snagging a shortbow since she can use them. Being able to stay out of the melee in big fights like this if/when they happen is too much of a draw for her after taking that arrow to the chest.

As for anything else, aside from that ring I'm not sure. She's not all that keen on armour, so I don't think she'll be grabbing any of that. So just her share of the coin then.

Destro_Yersul
2012-07-02, 12:39 PM
IC update is incoming. You way continue laying claims to the Lewts.

Right, IC post is up. Art says she'll take the scimitar, and I think everyone agreed to the distribution of the coin, so everyone be sure to mark that down. For those who took crossbows, there are only 16 or so of the bandit's bolts, but Tallhelm keeps plenty. Just don't be unreasonable about how many you need, and he'll set you up.

Loot not yet claimed:
1x Obsidian Charm
1x Antitoxin
2x Potions of CLW
assorted weapons/armour.

Artemis97
2012-07-02, 05:23 PM
It seems Laelaer's probably one of the few people in the group able to use a scimitar, so if you don't mind handing it to her, she'll take it. Also a bow for her would do better than a crossbow, didn't realize that was an option before.

Slii Arhem
2012-07-02, 07:22 PM
Heh, I'll claim the antitoxin and potions, if for no other reason than Glaffin will most likely need to administer them to the wounded eventually. Perhaps Thorus should hold on to one though, just in case his luck runs dry.

So, one of three longbows are gone. Anyone else taking them, or has the looting finally died down?

Gullara
2012-07-02, 07:29 PM
If no one else wants to lay claim to it, Cecily wouldn't mind grabbing the obsidian charm too. Seems she has a bit of a taste for jewelry, though I shouldn't be surprised by that. The charm might be a bit crude for her tastes, but she'd still probably grab it.

*scurries off to make an IC post*

Blarghy
2012-07-02, 08:10 PM
I'll mark down a quiver of 20 on my sheet, then. I don't see much point in carrying more at one time (not that it makes much sense for Alec to carry most of what he owns when there are so many wagons around).

Edit, now that I've posted: it occurs to me that I should defend some of this, given how absurd it sounds compared to Alec's clear background. Hopefully--and this is the reputation he'd have tried to cultivate with the merchant, guards, and even most of the party unless he trusted them to be ok with his methods, like he does with at least one character I can think of--Tallhelm has an image of him as a decent sort despite his weird, usually private, religious views on personal testing and such. Half our group is marked down for the dark side of the pantheon, so unless we're all lying through our teeth, he doesn't seem to care. More to the point, if he did have an accurate view of Alec, I doubt he'd have let him in the caravan. Which, again, also seems to applies to some other characters (we have plans, :xykon:).

So, I don't personally think Tallhelm would laugh in his face for acting like someone with normal-ish ethics.

/End defense

The Orange Zergling
2012-07-03, 12:30 AM
Alright, I'll lay claim to the armor then, if nobody else wants it. And 10 bolts, I suppose -- if I can't get into melee after 10 shots, running out of ammo will not be my primary concern. :smalltongue:

Slii Arhem
2012-07-03, 06:34 AM
You'd be surprised what people can come to accept, but Tallhelm doesn't seem like the flexible type. He's more the sort that everyone else has to bend around.

Glaffin, from what I'm getting to know of his character, would try a bit to at least teach Alec the value of a life, but he wouldn't outright disagree if Alec offered a counter argument. He worships Tharius because he was raised to, and because there are practical reasons for a craftsman to have the god of creation's ear once in a while.

I've also gotten some ideas about just what spells dwarven clerics high in the mountains would use, so expect to see some familial combat spells now that Glaffin has been spooked out of his routine. (Once I clear it with Destro first.)

Blarghy
2012-07-03, 10:15 AM
Hmm, I'm almost rethinking the bit about how much life is worth, since it's only halfway reflective of his view. I'll clarify later on; I'm thinking of another discussion he'll want to have with one of the characters later this night, when the caravan stops. And some of it might come out sooner than that, although he'll be censoring that talk, given the circumstances.

The general idea is that he has more respect for people than he does for life, as his funeral rites might've suggested--and beyond that, he also sees a difference between worthy of respect and worthy of preservation.

Slii Arhem
2012-07-03, 01:33 PM
Well, I don't think it will change what I expect Glaffin to say. We'll have to see though. I expect that they each have something they can take away from it.

On the upside, the main combat spell I wanted Glaffin to use has been confirmed as approved. I almost can't wait for the next speck of trouble to come after us, so long as he gets some rest beforehand. :smalltongue:

Destro_Yersul
2012-07-03, 02:12 PM
Ok, so that's all the major loot gone. Two crossbows claimed, two shortbows claimed, one longbow claimed, and maybe another if Indrys wants it. One knife gone to Alec, two to Thorus, the masterwork items gone, and one suit of regular studded leather gone.

So, left over, we have!
9 daggers/knives
16 short swords
2 longswords
1 (2?) longbows
9 shortbows
1 light crossbow
and 16 suits of studded leather.

Speak up now if you want anything else, or Tallhelm and his employees are taking the lot to distribute as they will.

Slii Arhem
2012-07-03, 02:18 PM
Ah, I was unaware there were knives left. Glaffin will claim two himself, if for no other reason than to have something that can slash, and cut rope if need be.

Blarghy
2012-07-03, 02:27 PM
I'm all set. Tempted to stock up on knives too just because they're there, but it isn't necessary.

Also, once the interrogation and burial are finished, it might be good for our group to do the camp searching and plundering together. I suspect that anyone who stays behind will get bored pretty fast, unless you've already got something to do. This way might be simpler for Destro, it'd stick to the rule of never splitting up if you don't have to, and best of all, everyone keeps access to Thorus (destroying with one hand and healing with the other, which is making him look less like a dragon follower and more like a Hindu deity). Considering that Glaffin is out of healing juice for today, I know I don't want to ride off without the party band-aid.

On an unrelated note, this'd also give us first access to anything nice and shiny at the camp. =D

Slii Arhem
2012-07-03, 06:31 PM
I'm in agreement about camp raiding, if we can find out a rough estimate of how many bandits are left first. Hopefully Glaffin's borderline check there will help Thorus' Intimidate. If Destro rules that I can't Aid Another belatedly like that, that's fine, but that was my planned action while I was waiting on Ghar's post.

Sophistemon
2012-07-03, 08:30 PM
Charm Person might not work, since the man is actively being threatened, but maybe Hypnotism could do the trick?

Blarghy
2012-07-03, 08:47 PM
Good cop bad cop (I think I prefer the term carrot and stick, but it isn't quite the same). Thorus has been rolling so well that I'm surprised the bandit can beat his intimidation checks, but if he really somehow is, Indrys could suggest that Thorus and Glaffin take a walk while he acts as the nice, humane (you know what I mean), spell-enhanced savior.

But I don't see us needing that.

Blarghy
2012-07-04, 08:35 PM
As lightly implied in the post, I'd like a description of the kid, if possible. All we've heard so far is his rough age.

This, of course, assumes that he's still where he's supposed to be, and hasn't ran off without anyone noticing. =P

Sophistemon
2012-07-08, 12:03 PM
I would have gone with Charm Person, but I was worried that the bandit might still count as being threatened, which would have given him a +5 on his save. This seemed like a safer option, despite having to influence a team-mate in addition to the bandit so as to avoid a DC penalty.

Slii Arhem
2012-07-08, 12:38 PM
Actually, the penalty for out of combat uses of Hypnotism is on the saving throw, not the DC. Influencing only a single person is easier than influencing multiple people.

So perhaps you'd like to redo the effect? Benefitting from that -2 might give us the edge we need to resolve this peacefully.

Slii Arhem
2012-07-08, 12:45 PM
As a formality, I'll roll, just in case Destro says you can't alter your targets. You're right in assuming Glaffin has a decent chance of saving, but it's just over half, so we'll see. Glaffin will be following the suggestion to back off either way, but whether he's ensnared or not will determine his later reaction.

Will Save: [roll0]

Sophistemon
2012-07-08, 11:26 PM
Oh, yes!

Darn, I must have misread the thing. I almost can't believe it.

Destro, if you're okay with the retcon, the bandit will receive a -2 on his DC16 Will Save.

Destro_Yersul
2012-07-09, 02:17 PM
Yeah, that's fine. I'll just post a roll here, since I need the result to make the update.

[roll0] - forgot the -2. So he actually rolled a three. He has failed, and rather poorly.


As lightly implied in the post, I'd like a description of the kid, if possible. All we've heard so far is his rough age.

This, of course, assumes that he's still where he's supposed to be, and hasn't ran off without anyone noticing. =P

My apologies, Wraith, I completely forgot about this when I wrote the IC post. Here is your description:

Adrian is about 5'3" tall, with brown/blond hair, brown eyes, and a build on the slimmer side of average. He's got rough hands, like he's used to doing work with them, but he's not muscular enough to suggest any serious heavy lifting. He's wearing simple but well-made clothing. Linen and wool, looks like, in varying shades of blue. He also has a long nose, and a skinnier sort of face.

Blarghy
2012-07-09, 07:01 PM
Quite good, thanks.

Destro_Yersul
2012-07-12, 04:16 PM
Welcome.

On another note, Art is going to be visiting me for the next week and a bit. I shall be scarce, though not gone, during this time.

Slii Arhem
2012-07-12, 04:30 PM
Might as well throw this up as well. I'm going on a (mandatory) vacation that'll prevent me from having much internet access. So until late on the 22nd, I'll be persona non grata around here.

If any of you folks wants to control Glaffin in the event of a fight, speak up. He'll be going along with the group to the bandit camp (can't split the party after all) but I trust you guys not to get him killed unless absolutely necessary. :smalltongue:

Gullara
2012-07-13, 12:51 AM
Apologies for not posting recently. Been sick the last few days and it left me rather brain foggy. I'll be sure to get a post up tomorrow, as it's too late now.

The Orange Zergling
2012-07-25, 04:10 AM
I'll be getting my wisdom teeth pulled on Thursday, July 26th, and I have absolutely zero idea of how I react to painkillers, so I may be able to keep posting like nothing happened or I may be out of commission for a week. I'll do my best to at least tell you guys what my status is, but I can't make any promises.

Slii Arhem
2012-07-26, 03:08 PM
So, using Destro's rules for crafting, it'd take Glaffin about seven hours (more like 6:45) to make some manacles, assuming he took 10 and didn't hurry. Think it'd be a worthwhile investment of his time? We seem to be picking up an awful lot of prisoners lately. :smalltongue:

Blarghy
2012-07-26, 04:49 PM
Make us up a dozen set. You can never have too many. (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2010-06-03)

In other news, Destro keeps getting me excited about the loot. =P Although I suspect that we'll arrive at the camp to find it pitifully bankrupt.

Slii Arhem
2012-07-30, 12:08 PM
Well, I can't see my post in the IC thread because of a server error, so I don't know how well that use rope check went. If anyone wants to throw up a post to try and fix that, I'd be much obliged. Hopefully I don't have to reroll or repost.

Blarghy
2012-07-30, 05:14 PM
Yeeeurgh. We have terrible luck with ropes for some reason.

Slii Arhem
2012-07-30, 05:32 PM
Thankfully, we have better luck with attack rolls. If he tries to break out of it and makes his escape artist check, we'll have two people with bows shooting at him the second he does. I'd like to think even an npc is smart enough not to risk that.

Glaffin can use his crossbow as one of the people guarding the bandit, if any other PC wants to volunteer as the second marksman. Preferably someone with a decent to hit bonus.

Edit: Oh, and you can assume that the bandit is gagged the moment they start out. Glaffin wouldn't want to subject him to that until necessary.

Blarghy
2012-07-30, 06:12 PM
I don't think he'll make a break for it unless he tries to run when we're really close to the camp. We have horses, after all, and I think at least eight combatants; just trying to flee wildly over the hills in the middle of nowhere would be pretty stupid. But he may very well try to warn his friends, get to them, and make a stand at the best-defended spot in the camp. With the good possibility of hanging to death in Seabreak, I think that's what I'd try to do.

Destro_Yersul
2012-07-31, 01:13 PM
The dice players are seated near one of the bigger canvas things, around 40ft from you. Map to come later.

Indrys and Thorus Only
Guess who passed their secret spot checks? The fourth bandit is on lookout, concealed behind a large rock maybe 80ft from you guys. He's seen you, and is currently drawing an arrow.

Initiative:
[roll0] - Indrys
[roll1] - Thorus
[roll2] - Bandit

well, he rolled crap, so both you chaps get to go before he does. This be the surprise round. After this, I'll roll init for everyone else, and the other bandits.

The Orange Zergling
2012-08-01, 12:59 PM
Wow, not only do I manage to get ninjaed by a margin of two hours (I started posting, was interrupted for a while, and then finished without realizing Destro posted in between), but I also forgot to read both threads before editing. :smallredface: Let's try this again...

Slii Arhem
2012-08-01, 01:07 PM
Looks like you'll have to post Thorus' rolls here. Editing in dicerolls never works. *shakes head at silly forum roller*

Blarghy
2012-08-01, 01:08 PM
The edit ate your rolls.

Also, are we mounted, or not? Seems like it'd be pretty hard to sneak up on the camp if we're on horses. Then there's the bit about Tallhelm saying not to ride, but no one listens to him anyway. =P

Destro_Yersul
2012-08-01, 04:18 PM
I assumed you were not mounted, but had brought a couple horses along. Though, Thorus seems to have opted to go mounted at least part of the way.

The Orange Zergling
2012-08-01, 04:44 PM
I assumed we were mounted; my action isn't possible if I'm on foot, but I can re-do it again if needed. I'm well-known amongst many people as being terrible about knowing what's going on. :smalltongue:

Slii Arhem
2012-08-01, 05:09 PM
Well, at least now we know that whoever Thorus was charging at, it was more than 60ft away. :smalltongue:

*fingers crossbow* let's just hope we have better luck this time. We outnumber them two to one, but even so we're each at about half or less strength.

Barring Thorus, of course.

Destro_Yersul
2012-08-02, 01:08 PM
Okay, so. I have figured out a way to handle this.

Zergling: If you want to keep your action, make a ride check. You're trying to get a horse to charge across uneven ground with rocks and whatnot. If you pass the check, you can still make the charge.

If, instead, you would rather consider yourself dismounted to match my assumption, you can pick a different action and do that instead. Either way, I'm keeping your attack roll as the roll for any attacks taken this round. No freebie rerolls based on misunderstandings. :smalltongue:

Soph, need a post from you, too.

Blarghy
2012-08-02, 01:37 PM
I'd like to point out in advance that Alec, since they know the camp is guarded, would be approaching with his new bow ready. Being at half health is a damn good reason to stay back and shoot people to death. That, and leaving Adrian alone with the horses probably isn't a great idea.

Slii Arhem
2012-08-02, 02:35 PM
And as I stated a while back, Glaffin has his crossbow out and trained on the bandit hostage, along with one other person he's shanghaied into guarding him, whether it was another party member or possibly just a guard.

Sophistemon
2012-08-03, 01:34 PM
Destro:
Well, I'm running low on first level spells, so it's time to go paleolithic.

I'm going to use a standard action to fire an arrow at the bandit - Indrys isn't a great archer, so this is mostly a 'Guys! Trouble! Shoot there!' sort of thing.

Attack roll: [roll0].
>>Damage roll (if applicable): [roll1].

Destro_Yersul
2012-08-03, 02:08 PM
Miss and Miss from our intrepid heroes, which means their friend shoots, and then it's combat time. If Thorus charged him, he takes a five foot step prior to the shooting.

[roll0]
[roll1] - FAILURE

and now initiative for everyone else.

[roll2] - Guards
[roll3] - Cecily
[roll4] - Alec
[roll5] - Glaffin
[roll6] - Laelaer

and the other bandits:
[roll7]

note that in my spoiler up there, Indrys rolled 22 and Thorus got 10, and the Ambush bandit got 3, so folding that into these rolls, the order is:

Indrys
Laelaer
Cecily
the Guards
Alec
Glaffin
Thorus
and both bandit sets rolled worse than eveyrone else, so they go LAST.

As always, post when you can. I'll work out the order of events.

Artemis97
2012-08-03, 03:57 PM
Longbow shot!

to hit [roll0]
damage [roll1]

The Orange Zergling
2012-08-03, 07:42 PM
Whoops; sorry I couldn't roll my Ride check, I've been busy for all of today and didn't have a chance to look at the thread until now. :smallredface:

It looks like you've taken care of that already though, Destro?

Slii Arhem
2012-08-03, 10:31 PM
That'll probably be my last reliable post for the week. I asked Ghar to post for Glaffin's actions whenever my turn comes around, since he'll be pretty much shooting and reloading from here on out, with the occasional moving forward to close the distance in case they move beyond the first range increment.

Have a happy week folks, and I'll see you soon.

Destro_Yersul
2012-08-04, 03:45 AM
Whoops; sorry I couldn't roll my Ride check, I've been busy for all of today and didn't have a chance to look at the thread until now. :smallredface:

It looks like you've taken care of that already though, Destro?

I did, yeah. You hadn't replied, so I went ahead and rolled for it. All is good.

Gullara
2012-08-05, 02:01 AM
Sorry about the delay in posting, guys. I was just moving to the city and settling in for the past few days, and it never occurred to me to mention that here for some reason. I should be back to posting reliably from this point on.

Destro_Yersul
2012-08-05, 05:43 AM
No problem, Ghar. Although, you appear to have scored a critical hit. Also, for some reason, you have shortbow listed on your sheet as 1d4. Shortbows use 1d6 for damage. So go ahead and roll to confirm your critical, as well as fix your damage :smalltongue:

Blarghy
2012-08-05, 09:25 AM
Good lord at the rolls. They make me nervous; the forum roller has a bad habit of handing out high numbers when they aren't really necessary, then plunging everyone into single digits when things are more dangerous. I can't help but suspect that we'll breeze through this fight, then get mauled the next time we're up against an equal force. Either that, or we'll get chased out of the next village after some terrible social rolls.

Gullara
2012-08-06, 01:32 PM
Whoops, that's what I get for not looking at the headers for the weapons chart on the SRD. *makes rolls for stuff*

To confirm the crit:
[roll0]

And now for damage and possible crit damage:
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Destro_Yersul
2012-08-10, 06:52 PM
Soph, any word on what Indrys is doing here? I know you've been busy, lately, but I'd like to know where he wants to search, that sort of thing.

Sophistemon
2012-08-13, 09:56 PM
Terribly sorry, Destro.

Slii Arhem
2012-08-13, 10:24 PM
Going to Aid Another Alec's search check, if the forum would stop derping and let me post a single diceroll.

[roll0]

Destro_Yersul
2012-08-14, 04:46 PM
alrighty! I'll just put the totals for the stuff in the storage area here.

1 barrel salt pork, 3 barrels ale, 2 sacks apples, and 10 bottles of wine. Non food items are one bolt cloth-of-silver, and five bolts of silk (red, green, blue, yellow, white)

Blarghy
2012-08-15, 04:42 PM
I forgot to include a spot check to look for the horses, in case it's necessary.

[roll0]

Blarghy
2012-08-16, 02:00 PM
Well, at least it wasn't a really important roll. I assume that Alec just lost his own horse. That, or he wandered out of sight from the camp looking for a suitable vantage point and got lost in the hills. A rescue party may be in order.

Slii Arhem
2012-08-21, 12:53 PM
Well then, who all is for having Thorus Power Attack three or four times and getting this thing open? That is, unless someone wants to have a go at an Open Lock check. Glaffin has neither the feats nor the skills to help here, so I cede to the rest of the party to solve this one.

Blarghy
2012-08-21, 03:41 PM
If only we had a rogue. Hmmm...

Edit: or maybe if we just had the key. Considering that we've killed almost everyone who could've run off with it, and we've been diligently checking corpses, I assume it's somewhere in the camp. If we can't find it, then I'll break out the Open Lock check, but first we might just ask the last bandit.

Gullara
2012-08-22, 12:57 AM
Urk... meant to post tonight and for some reason thought I'd already replied in the most recent round. >.< I'm gonna try and get a post up in the morning, because, unfortunately, I'm gonna have to sleep too soon to post now.

Slii Arhem
2012-08-22, 06:24 AM
If only we had a rogue. Hmmm...

Edit: or maybe if we just had the key. Considering that we've killed almost everyone who could've run off with it, and we've been diligently checking corpses, I assume it's somewhere in the camp. If we can't find it, then I'll break out the Open Lock check, but first we might just ask the last bandit.

I'm thinking about the quickest option. In all likelihood, the key is with the bandit leader back at the caravan, but if we took the chest there first, Tallhelm would demand a huge share of the plunder. An Open Lock check, if you can manage it, would normally be the preferred option of course.

Unless of course we wanted to have a smashed chest to show Tallhem that the bandits in camp had gotten away with the loot. There are other containers we could divide up the treasure into.

Glaffin wouldn't suggest such trickery of course, but his player isn't above it if someone else were to. :smallwink:

Blarghy
2012-08-22, 12:57 PM
That works for me (and Alec will like the idea of seeing who goes along with this plan, and with what degree of comfort).

Thorus used Smash! It's hopefully super effective!

Destro_Yersul
2012-08-24, 04:22 PM
Turns out Alec used Success, and that was possibly more effective. The box is open, and with that you get some XP I forgot to give you earlier.

Everyone in the fight with the bandits at the camp gets 50XP

also, if it matters, the chest full of money weighs 85lbs.

Blarghy
2012-08-24, 07:04 PM
Mmm, tasty success.

Slii Arhem
2012-08-27, 12:33 PM
I'm hurt that Alec didn't take into consideration Glaffin's last speech, which seems more in line with the underhanded than with how Alec seems to be judging him. :smalltongue:

Methinks they're going to have to have a fireside chat one of these nights, hopefully without any raised tempers and backstabbing involved. If for no other reason than to clear up the whole "conflict =/= good, but also =/= horrible" issue before things come to a head.

Blarghy
2012-08-27, 01:02 PM
The post before it soured him enough that he wasn't in a cooperative mood anyway, although if he had been, it wouldn't really matter; being underhanded matters little to him if the reason for being underhanded still conflicts with Alec's goals.

(On a side note, he (and I, to be honest) doesn't think Tallhelm is that greedy, actually. Rather foolish, yes, but not that greedy. A certain level is to be expected of merchants, just like you can't really be surprised when a carpenter is judgmental of unprofessional repair jobs. By the standards of his peers, Tallhelm seems relatively charitable. For example, he raised no complaints about the party looting the best stuff from the last fight. That masterwork scimitar and the masterwork armor would've been worth more than everything else, as I recall, and he didn't speak a word when we took it without asking.)

Anyway, as for Alec and Glaffin, I'm thinking they'll talk eventually. At this stage, I'm fine with misunderstandings because they haven't discussed anything yet (nor is Alec likely to with everyone else around; he'd prefer that such a talk be in private).

While we're on the subject, I'll also point out, in case it'd gone unnoticed (or if anyone thought it was a mistake on my part and had been too polite to say something), that Alec's philosophy is inherently contradictory. Laelaer seems to follow the actual ideals of the dark god. As I understand it, you really aren't supposed to give other people a crutch, much less a safety net. Everyone survives or fails on their own, fairness be damned. Yet Alec is bad about letting his personal feelings cloud his judgment. When he sets up a "proper" challenge, it's because he doesn't care about the people involved, or he outright dislikes them. I fully expect the Adrian business to come back and bite him at some point because he's handling it improperly by the tenants of his faith, and unless the kid turns out to be an utter bastard whom Alec can't relate to, it'll only get worse as he gets to know him.

I didn't plan it this way from the start; I think I set out to have Alec be a traditionalist, but that seemed pretty cruel at certain points, so I started trying to make him just a little more humane. Now, though, I like the idea. It gives him a good flaw (beyond, you know, the whole "I'm evil" flaw, which isn't as interesting), and more than that, it gives him room to grow. I very much doubt he'll come over to Glaffin's side (I don't think I want him to, either; that'd remove a good source of light conflict), but he should progress somehow as time goes on. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Destro_Yersul
2012-08-31, 05:05 PM
Certainly be interesting, to say the least.

To avoid clouding the IC thread with numbers, here's the actual amounts of money contained in that chest.

100gp, 2000sp, 900cp

I apologise if that makes the math difficult, but without anyone who can make change I think you'd end up with one gold 2 silver spare. :smalltongue:

oh, and for simplicity, I've been reminded there was some other money, too. 100cp from the table, and 55gp from the dead bandits. Plus their armour and weapons, but I figure Ehrlson has included that in 'stuff to load on the horses.'

Blarghy
2012-08-31, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I was going to point out that we had the money from before. Since we have plenty of horses now to lug everything, I'm fine with stripping the camp bare of anything we can haul. Even if the characters don't want to micromanage all the little things, surely Tallhelm would like to add it all to his stock. For your convenience, Destro, I recommend that everyone lays claim to what they want and the rest (the weapons, armor, tools, and so on) goes to the caravan in an unmentioned pile of miscellaneous-ity. This seems like a bookkeeping nightmare otherwise.

Slii Arhem
2012-08-31, 11:22 PM
Right then, with the added gold and copper from the gambling goons, There should be a grand total of 4055 copper (broken down into easy numbers) for each share, with five coppers left over. To break that down into real coin numbers, that's:

17 gold each, with one share getting 19 gold.

224 silver each, with the share that got two extra gold getting 16 fewer silver.

115 copper each, with the odd share getting 40 fewer copper, and 5 left over for us all to fight over.

So to make things clear:

Normal share; 17 gold (1700 copper) + 224 silver (2240 copper) + 115 copper = 4055 copper

The One Odd share: 19 gold (1900 copper), 208 silver (2080 copper), 75 copper = 4055 copper

Sound fair to everyone? I don't care who gets the odd share, I just felt like doing the math for all the odds and ends and fiddly bits.

Also, as Destro already knows I'll be away for three days because I have to go on a short trip, but I'll be back before you folks know it. Glaffin can be assumed to divide up the coins as I described there and will go along with stripping the camp as directed in my absence. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Destro_Yersul
2012-09-01, 02:04 AM
For your convenience, Destro, I recommend that everyone lays claim to what they want and the rest (the weapons, armor, tools, and so on) goes to the caravan in an unmentioned pile of miscellaneous-ity. This seems like a bookkeeping nightmare otherwise.

Yeah, that's pretty much the plan. Slii has done me the added favour of working out the money, so everyone knows how much to add to their sheets. Once that's done, lay claim to which of the physical goods you want/give me directions for anything else you want to do at the campe, and we'll head back to the caravan.

Blarghy
2012-09-01, 09:47 AM
I'm fine with all of that. I'm not laying claim to any of the non-coin loot (Alec already has the boots, and I'm pretty sure I know what he'll do with them, to try to get some more use out of the things), although depending on what the potions are, maybe they should go to the group as a whole. I'll update my sheet accordingly.

I also don't have anything further to do in camp beyond my last post, unless Adrian or anyone else is feeling chatty. Alec does need to corner Indrys for a talk at some point, but that can happen back at the caravan, later that night. Ideally, when Soph and I are both online so we can do the conversation quickly without holding up everyone else.

Artemis97
2012-09-01, 12:19 PM
I suppose I'll take the odd share, if no one objects, just to keep things simpler for everyone else. And Thank you, Slii, for doing all the math.

The Orange Zergling
2012-09-01, 07:50 PM
Indeed; thanks Slii. :smallsmile:

Since Thorus got the armor back in the previous fight, I imagine I'll probably pass on any of the potentially-magical loot for now, unless it really fits Thorus and nobody else, or nobody wants it or something.

Destro_Yersul
2012-09-01, 09:03 PM
And that's that. Update's up, and I've sent you all back to the caravan. We can do a time-split if anyone has anything to do on-screen at the camp. Otherwise, we'll move on. If you want anything other than money from the camp, say so now. Unclaimed items at this point are, as far as I know:

10 bottles of wine, the 5 bolts of silk and the one cloth-of-silver, the carved box, which might be worth something for the craftsmanship, two vials of antitoxin, the wand, and food.

Speaking of the wand, I've decided I don't like the Identify spell. 100gp material component is a right bugger, just to get some basic information like 'what does this button do?' So! At risk of devaluing an (overpriced) spell, here's what I'm going to do.

Knowledge (Arcana) test at DC 15 + level of the spell involved will tell you what a magic item is, once you know it's magic.
Spellcraft test at DC 15 + caster level of the item will tell you how to activate it, if it has functions that can be activated.
Identify will tell you anything else that might be relevant, such as all spells involved in its construction, caster level involved, how to reproduce it, charges remaining (if any) and other assorted miscellaneous information you might need to know.

Blarghy
2012-09-02, 09:53 AM
The wand being our first magic item and all, I hope someone holds onto it, if only as a trophy. The rest, I see no reason not to give to Tallhelm, since he'd probably be a better seller anyway. Glaffin did say something about using the silver cloth, but I think it was a passing idea that he didn't consider too heavily, right? Other than that, horses included, seem like they should go to the caravan. I'd say that we could ask for a percentage of whatever Tallhelm sells it all for, but we've already gotten a good bit of money out of this.

Also, I'm fine with you summarizing the contract scene (I feel like a jerk for proposing it in the first place; evil characters are a lot harder to play when they get involved with kids, I've discovered). The important thing is for Alec to get a close look at Tallhelm's handwriting, particularly his signature. I doubt that Adrian's will ever be useful for forging, but you never know.

As I said, I have something planned with Soph, so I'll PM him to see when we can both get online and knock the conversation out quickly. If that doesn't work within this week due to scheduling problems, then I guess we can have it be all shadowy and just reference that they did go off and talk for a bit, which works about as well.

Sophistemon
2012-09-02, 03:37 PM
Indrys wouldn't mind laying claim to some of the cloth, especially the silver.

Such a coat could be made, deserving of the Heir of the House of Neirion...

EDIT
Of the four in-game posts that I've made today, a full two required editing, and both of them Destro brought to my attention.

Destro, old friend, are you following me around to point out my mistakes?

Destro_Yersul
2012-09-02, 04:04 PM
No.

Maybe.

>.>

Ok, yes, but only in the games I'm involved in!

Also, again, if anyone wants any of the non-money stuff, bring it up in this thread or the other one. Indrys wants some silk. No problem, there's lots. If anyone else wants anything, speak up!

Artemis97
2012-09-02, 07:05 PM
Laelaer might take the antitoxin and a bolt of silk. Also a horse, if she can keep one. Maybe the box? She semi-owns the chest through having the key to it. Oh, I hope she doesn't develop my predilection for decorative containers. Des knows how dangerous that can be.

Slii Arhem
2012-09-03, 08:21 PM
Alrighty, I'm back at last and just finished reading through. Glaffin would claim the silver cloth as materials so that he can make it into something worthwhile. Whether or not that worthwhile thing is a coat for Indrys or some other fancy bauble that someone in the party wishes is up to whoever asks him, as keeping the finished product doesn't hold as much interest to him as actually working with the material. :smallsmile:

He'd also take one of the vials of Antitoxin unless Laelaer would make a fuss, just in case he has to administer to poisoned people in the near future. On top of that, I'm assuming there were tents and bedrolls around the bandit camp, so Glaffin would try to salvage as many square yards of canvas as he could get his hands on from the torn down tents, simply because canvas can be endlessly useful on the road.

For simplicity's sake, I'd say 10 square yards would be sufficient.

I'll try to get a post up IC soon, covering Glaffin's actions in camp and when they return.

Blarghy
2012-09-03, 08:31 PM
I'm tempted to commission something too, but I think I'll wait until we get our hands on some special metals. Alec's just got to get a mithril chain shirt at some point. If Destro's not holding us to WBL, then we should enjoy it.

Artemis97
2012-09-03, 09:38 PM
Lael's telling me she wants a dress from the red silk, possibly with some yellow.

Also, I believe her pushing someone of a balcony at the University is now canon, it amused me that much.

Blarghy
2012-09-03, 09:42 PM
=P I'm glad to hear it. :smallbiggrin:

Also, as a small disclaimer, Alec's intelligence is between four to fifteen points higher than mine, depending on the day, so if his ideas aren't as clever as they should be, blame the player, not the character. Then again, it's tradition that having more intelligence than wisdom results in unnecessarily complicated plans.

Sophistemon
2012-09-03, 11:09 PM
That's the problem I'm running into, now.

Poor Indrys.

His player forgot which spell list belonged to which of his characters!

It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible.

Slii Arhem
2012-09-03, 11:14 PM
The plan as stated might be impossible, but then, Indrys does have Disguise Self as a beguiler does he not? He might have to consent to being the distraction and bait, as uncouth as I'm sure he'd find such an action.

Sophistemon
2012-09-03, 11:28 PM
Oh, no, not THIS plan.

The first plan involved Indrys using Alter Self to disguise both Alec and Thorus.

Alter Self.

At level one.

On other people.

As a Beguiler.

I have no idea what I was thinking.

Slii Arhem
2012-09-03, 11:43 PM
I was aware of the idiosyncrasies of the multiple layers of impossibility involved here, I just felt the need to point out that Disguise Self is in fact an option, albeit a far less desirable one, and still only personal range.

Take my advice as you will, I'm tired from three days of travel and hard pressed to exercise my brainmeats, as evidenced by the slowness of my IC post.

Blarghy
2012-09-04, 11:03 AM
I'm unwilling to set anything in stone until we can check out the village, but I'm thinking that Silent Image would be safer and more useful all around. Alec could get the bandit out and Indrys could have the guards see him escaping in one direction while Alec actually has him run in the other, likely the same direction that Alec (and whoever ends up going with him) would be burgling. Actually disguising Indrys as the bandit seems like it could end in all kinds of disaster.

I'm tempted to have Alec suggest such an illusion since he does have that nice Intelligence, but there's nothing in his background besides Indrys that would give him a reason to know anything about magic.

Also, belay the mithril shirt; Alec's first significant item needs to be a Hat of Disguise, with which he will cause all kinds of Fun (in the Dwarf Fortress sense).

Gullara
2012-09-04, 01:20 PM
If only the party knew the nature of our resident master of disguise. On the other hand, I doubt Cecily would approve of this plan anyway, so no harm done. :smalltongue:

*pokes at her* She has more morals than I thought starting out. Though she's no paladin, not even close. Thank goodness. :smalltongue:

Blarghy
2012-09-04, 01:29 PM
Cecily will come up in the current conversation, yep. Alec doesn't know what to make of her yet. When Destro first told me about this game, I originally toyed with the idea of a disguise-heavy character, but in addition to the unwanted overlap, the concept would have the character spending a lot of time away from everyone else, which isn't good.

The Orange Zergling
2012-09-04, 02:06 PM
Oh, no, not THIS plan.

The first plan involved Indrys using Alter Self to disguise both Alec and Thorus.

Alter Self.

At level one.

On other people.

As a Beguiler.

I have no idea what I was thinking.

I see no flaws with this plan. :smallbiggrin:



Speaking of staying away from the group - it's probably obvious, but just in case it isn't; just because Thorus wants to keep his escapades hidden from the group doesn't necessarily mean I do.
I look forward to Seabreak. :smallcool:

Blarghy
2012-09-04, 02:22 PM
I hate to put down that plan, but I'm not sure how likely it is for a little fishing village to have a library, much less a museum. =P

Now, Stormgate surely would, being a major city.

If Thorus did find something, though, Alec would be quick to quietly offer to help him liberate what he wanted.

The Orange Zergling
2012-09-05, 08:22 PM
I hate to put down that plan, but I'm not sure how likely it is for a little fishing village to have a library, much less a museum. =P

Now, Stormgate surely would, being a major city.

If Thorus did find something, though, Alec would be quick to quietly offer to help him liberate what he wanted.

...I don't understand the question. :smalltongue:

Blarghy
2012-09-06, 10:16 AM
Question? (Random text because apparently there's a limit on how short your post can be; I never suspected that as a problem.)

Slii Arhem
2012-09-06, 10:35 AM
When in doubt, just use white text. See?

Blarghy
2012-09-06, 10:39 AM
^_^" Now I'm really confused. Are you saying that's a good solution to short messages, or that I missed some white text?

Slii Arhem
2012-09-06, 10:47 AM
That it's a good solution to short messages. Anything under ten characters can be padded with whitetext to lengthen it without cluttering up the post.

Blarghy
2012-09-06, 10:58 AM
Ahh. Yes, it's a handy feature.

The Orange Zergling
2012-09-07, 01:32 PM
(Sorry for my sporadic posting - for some reason it just doesn't occur to me to check this thread as often as the IC one.)

It's a joke; I'm saying I'm so uncomprehending of your words I didn't even realize what you had told me. :smalltongue:

Destro_Yersul
2012-09-07, 09:07 PM
Hey all, don't feel you HAVE to take Tallhelm's offer there just because I made it. If you think your character wouldn't, for wahtever reason, it's ok if they don't. This isn't a train station, after all.

Also, I really need to make a spreadsheet. HOW DOES I EXCEL!?

Blarghy
2012-09-07, 10:30 PM
You can haz tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L1OVkw2ZQ8)?

I'm not sure what year you're using, but YouTube seems to have guides for all of them if you browse around a bit.

Destro_Yersul
2012-09-08, 04:31 PM
I've drawn basic holy symbols for the two gods of the setting, in case anyone wants to see.

For Tharius:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/Tharius1.png?t=1347138309

Tharius' main symbol is a hammer over a lightning bolt, but many variations on the theme exist. Tharius encourages the faithful to develop their own variants on his holy symbol, since to do so involves an act of creation, with the hammer as the common icon. To reference a specific aspect, for example, one might put a symbol of that aspect behind the hammer in place of the lightning bolt, or have the hammer interacting with a representation of that aspect.

For Loktar:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/Loktar.png?t=1347138309

Loktar's symbol is simpler, and has fewer variants. It is meant to be easily drawn and variably interpreted. The core symbol is always the same, and aspects are referenced by adding colour, either as a shape behind the symbol or by colouring in the symbol itself. There has been some debate amongst Loktar's more fervent followers as to what the symbol actually depicts, but the god is unforthcoming on the matter. As far as anyone can tell, it is whatever you want it to be.

Sophistemon
2012-09-09, 01:03 PM
For anyone who plans to do crafting, this (http://www.dndjunkie.com/downloads/CraftCalculator.zip) link may be of use to you.

Destro_Yersul
2012-09-09, 01:54 PM
Possibly, although I did alter the crafting rules somewhat, so its output will be a little off.

Speaking of, I should put those here.

Crafting:
Works in GP instead of SP.
Can take 10 on craft checks, but increases the time taken by 0.25x
Can use Guidance of the Avatar, but not take 10 if you do
Canít increase DC of a craft check by 10 more than once.


those are the rules for that, as it appears in my notes.

For crafting magic items, I'm considering a system where GP costs remain the same, but every time you earn XP, you also earn 1 point of 'crafting XP' for every two points of regular XP. The crafting XP is used only to craft items, and the pool does not refill so it must be tracked seperately.

In addition, I'll probably make the Artificer's item salvaging ability a level 6 feat. That's not for a little while, though, so I can worry about it when it comes up. Right now, I need to update.

Destro_Yersul
2012-09-12, 02:36 PM
Sorry about the double post, chaps, but I'm going on vacation, starting tomorrow. I'll take my laptop, but updates shall be sparse in all likelyhood.

Artemis97
2012-09-13, 11:06 AM
Because I shall be hoarding him! He's mine! All mine! Muahahaha!

Blarghy
2012-09-20, 10:40 AM
Do I need to make some kind of check to remember the handwriting? If so, hopefully not a straight Intelligence roll; that bonus is uncomfortably small on its own. =P

Artemis97
2012-09-20, 11:40 AM
Destro says: "You don't need to make a roll to remember it, but you would need to make a forgery roll to duplicate it."

Blarghy
2012-09-20, 09:12 PM
Right, right. Also, you can let him know that I was in the middle of sending him something on MSN when he jumped out on me. =P

Slii Arhem
2012-09-20, 10:39 PM
So was Gulaghar, oddly enough. I think he just has GM senses about these sort of things.

Also, Destro and I worked out Glaffin's wages to be 2gp per day using the Arms and Equipment guide for a few NPC hirelings rolled into one. Technically with his skills (he's as qualified as an 11th level NPC armorsmith, weaponsmith, blacksmith, and a 10th level alchemist) he should probably be paid much more than the base rate, but I imagined him as pretty desperate to make money when Cecily came to him with the job offer, so that explains why he might be just a bit bitter towards Tallhelm.

Blarghy
2012-09-20, 11:02 PM
Good lord, are your bonuses that good? Or are the standard NPCs just horribly unoptimized?

Slii Arhem
2012-09-20, 11:19 PM
Well, an average NPC has 10 or 11 in each stat, and even as an Expert class they don't get anything near the crazy cheese that Glaffin has managed by optimizing his Cleric levels for mundane crafting specifically. So really, all they have is skill ranks, and at a cap of 3+your level, that means his 14 bonus to the check on all things related to metal and his 13 bonus on alchemical things pays dividends.

I suppose you could argue that an npc with a racial Int bonus, or one with a bonus to craft checks from being a dwarf or gnome, would only have to be 9th/10th level. Still quite a difference between a PC who has access to domains and higher than average Int.

And now you all know why Glaffin, Glaffin's father, and Glaffin's forefathers all worship Tharius. It's just not practical to do otherwise.

Blarghy
2012-09-21, 09:39 AM
Now I feel kind of inadequate. =P I'll have to find ways to boost my forgery skill to keep up.

Artemis97
2012-09-21, 10:46 AM
Right, right. Also, you can let him know that I was in the middle of sending him something on MSN when he jumped out on me. =P

I stole him away! Muahahahaha!

Slii Arhem
2012-09-21, 12:40 PM
Now I feel kind of inadequate. =P I'll have to find ways to boost my forgery skill to keep up.

Forgery, as I understand it, is less vital to have an immense bonus in if you want to do anything with it. Since it's opposed by the reader's own forgery check and 99.99999% of people know nothing of handwriting analyses, especially in a pseudovictorian society where less than half of all people know how to read at all, you'll end up having a huge advantage over pretty much anyone just by putting points into it and using it smartly.

Craft (Alchemy), on the other hand, requires nice big fat DC's and checks to get things done quickly. If I didn't have a check this large I'd take a week just to make a single flask of acid.

Blarghy
2012-09-21, 04:17 PM
That is one perk, yeah. I expect Destro will have to have a few NPCs around with some ranks in it to keep things from being completely one-sided, but it does seem like a pretty rare skill unless you're a forger yourself.

Destro_Yersul
2012-09-22, 03:20 PM
Very likely there'd be a few around, at major banks and such, and with the way D&D works it's only Barbarians that can't read anyways... So you can't be sure, really. But then, that's part of the fun, isn't it? :smalltongue: