PDA

View Full Version : OOTS Strips that made Skyrim jokes before it was released.

t209
2012-04-06, 11:30 AM
I think Rich made an unintended puns on Skyrim before it was released (for many years). (Arrow in the Knee (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0798.html)) (Scruffykiin, Catborn (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0803.html))
(Note: These strips were made before Skyrim's release on 11/11/11)
I think these would be listed as "Hilarious in Hindsight" since it would be funnier after you you played Skyrim, or heard skyrim jokes.

Drivort
2012-04-06, 11:59 AM
I don't really get it, where does it say anything about an arrow to the knee? And I have absolutely no idea what the thing with Mr. Scruffy is about.

Then again, I didn't play Skyrim or care much for the Elder Scroll series either. Care to elaborate?

t209
2012-04-06, 12:04 PM
I don't really get it, where does it say anything about an arrow to the knee? And I have absolutely no idea what the thing with Mr. Scruffy is about.

Then again, I didn't play Skyrim or care much for the Elder Scroll series either. Care to elaborate?

In Skyrim, if you talk to the guards they will say "I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took and arrow in the knee".
For Scruffy, it looks like he shouted the dog with belt of ogre strength (Except Dovahkiin used Skyrim equivalent of shout spell, aka FUS RO DAH!, (plus power to push people away)).
P.S- I know OOTS is not skyrim but it will be funnier after playing skyrim.

mrmcfatty
2012-04-06, 12:13 PM
i think that im one of the many that think that strip is less funny after skyrim now.

The Glyphstone
2012-04-06, 12:17 PM
I think you're just reading way too much into it.

RagingKrikkit
2012-04-06, 12:17 PM
Don't forget Arrow to the butt (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0425.html).

t209
2012-04-06, 12:39 PM
Don't forget Arrow to the butt (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0425.html).

More like Rib cage and spleen!

rgrekejin
2012-04-06, 12:51 PM
...are you implying that Rich is a future psychic? :smallconfused:

ThePhantasm
2012-04-06, 12:54 PM
I don't understand this thread. Can someone explain it to me?

I mean, I know what Skyrim is etc. but. . . huh? What is the connection here?

t209
2012-04-06, 01:27 PM

"I used to be an adventurer, then I took an arrow to the knee"
This it what happened to Thog.
This thread is about looking back to these strips after skyrim was released. It's more funnier since it made skyrim reference (Arrow to the knee and Fus Ro Dah) before it was released.

Obnoxious Hydra
2012-04-06, 01:44 PM
You're looking to much into it.

Regardless of whether Skyrim npcs say it or not, having an arrow driven through your leg is going to hurt. Roy was down on the ground, it made sence for him to aim for a low area.

And no, Mr Scruffy doesn't look like he Fus Ro Dah'd at all in my opinion.

ThePhantasm
2012-04-06, 03:15 PM
"I used to be an adventurer, then I took an arrow to the knee"
This it what happened to Thog.

But Thog was still an adventurer of sorts at the point. It wasn't like he retired or became a guard or something - he was working for an evil adventurer party, the Linear Guild.

So beyond the fact that an arrow was stabbed into some section of Thog's leg, I'm not sure it really works as a Skyrim joke. . . besides, isn't the whole joke something people say? When I see it used as a meme people are actually saying the phrase. Here Thog just gets stabbed with an arrow.

Kish
2012-04-06, 03:17 PM

If you have a Skyrim-shaped hammer, everything looks like either a nail or Skyrim. And the world looks less confusing if you pick Skyrim.

t209
2012-04-06, 03:25 PM
So it is just a coincidence?

Morty
2012-04-06, 03:29 PM
Unless you want to imply that Rich has the power to see into the future, I can't see how it could be anything but coincidence.

Gift Jeraff
2012-04-06, 04:34 PM
You can find an unintentional not-reference to anything if you look hard enough. Like Darth Malak, Governor Tarkin, and KotOR (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0739.html).

Kish
2012-04-06, 05:05 PM
So it is just a coincidence?
Calling it a "coincidence" overdignifies it, I'd say. There's nothing to see. Skyrim doesn't own a copyright on arrows going into people's legs.

v: Or on cats being able to knock enemies away by any means, for that matter.

Jaros
2012-04-06, 05:22 PM
What the? Okay, the arrow thing has already been covered, but how does Mr. Scruffy's attack look like he's using a shout?

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-06, 05:52 PM
What the? Okay, the arrow thing has already been covered, but how does Mr. Scruffy's attack look like he's using a shout?

I agree, the sound effect is clearly "POW!" which implies that scruffy physically knocked that dog through the wall.

Nimrod's Son
2012-04-06, 06:20 PM
I think Rich made an unintended puns on Skyrim before it was released (for many years).
...and yet the earliest example you give is only eight months old?

If you have a Skyrim-shaped hammer, everything looks like either a nail or Skyrim. And the world looks less confusing if you pick Skyrim.
That's one of the best things I've ever read on here. :smallamused:

t209
2012-04-06, 08:43 PM
...and yet the earliest example you give is only eight months old?
Thanks for clarification since I do not know the date of the given comic strips.

The Giant
2012-04-06, 09:25 PM
I promise that nothing that ever has or ever will happen in my comic is a reference to Skyrim. I don't own it, I've never played it, and since it's not available for any gaming system I own, I will almost certainly never play it in the future. I am only barely aware of what it is because you keep posting threads trying to compare OOTS to it, despite the fact that OOTS has existed for 8.5 years and Wikipedia tells me Skyrim came out a few months ago.

Please stop posting nonsensical threads claiming that aspects of OOTS are based on Skyrim. Skyrim is simply not that important, and it clutters up the board and confuses other posters.

Thread locked.