PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Changing Magic/Items

Paseo H
2012-04-06, 11:43 AM
While my frame of reference is D&D, perhaps there are other systems with similar items.

Don't Helms of Alignment Change make it so that there are almost no truly irredeemable villains?

Morithias
2012-04-06, 12:21 PM
While my frame of reference is D&D, perhaps there are other systems with similar items.

Don't Helms of Alignment Change make it so that there are almost no truly irredeemable villains?

According to official WOTC lore there is no such this as an irredeemable villain PERIOD. If you get your diplomacy skill high enough you can talk anyone into redemption short of an outsider with evil subtype, and thing like the sanctify the wicked spell and such will even work on them.

Hell there was once an article about a "succubus paladin" who just decided to go good without any magical influence. So one might even be able to convince the DM to let the "talk to redemption" work on demons and devils too.

Oracle_Hunter
2012-04-06, 12:43 PM

Sure, if you are fine with Mind Rape which is a rough one for Good characters (who care about the dignity of sentient creatures).

IMHO, the hypothetical Good Supersociety would simply lock Evil people away in Penitentiaries where they could do no harm to others and keep them there until they willingly repent for their crimes (and detect as non-Evil, if not Good).

LikeAD6
2012-04-06, 12:52 PM

If so, then there are also no truly incorruptible heroes. However, this type of magic must be used very sparingly, or it will be played out.

Morithias
2012-04-06, 01:13 PM
IMHO, the hypothetical Good Supersociety would simply lock Evil people away in Penitentiaries where they could do no harm to others and keep them there until they willingly repent for their crimes (and detect as non-Evil, if not Good).

Hell since you can willingly fail a will save, someone who does want to repent just needs to spend 2 weeks talking with another person who is good aligned. The DC of the diplomacy check doesn't even matter! 2 weeks and you detect as good!