PDA

View Full Version : Help for asking for help. Yup, you read that right.

semi
2012-04-06, 12:50 PM
Ok, so here's the deal… I've been working on developing a world/campaign setting and I've kinda got ideas all over the place; I've got some basics down, some more advanced ideas and holes in between. I think I've now progressed to the point where I'd like to start getting some fellow nerd help in filling in the holes, smoothing out the edges, etc. and so I'm ready to fire off a "HELP ME" forum post but I don't know how I should progress.

I think the best way to get help when asking anything is to make sure that your question(s) makes sense and is easy to follow so… when I do make my "help me out please" post should I use cuts and hide everything or should I make an initial post and then use up the first couple of replies for additional info?

So yeah, I'm actually asking for help on how to ask for help :)

Sennex
2012-04-06, 01:34 PM
:smallconfused:

My vote would be to change the title of this thread to whatever your setting is and replace the text of your post with the ideas you want to work on, copy/pasted from your notes or whatever. Keeping things in one post is probably better, especially now that I took the second one.

frost890
2012-04-07, 11:15 PM
I agree with the post above. what areas are you looking for help in? setting? classic dnd style with a personnel flair? renascence? Age of the pirate? What races are you allowing? classes? If you want to give us a direction we can go with it till we fall off a cliff. Now where did I put that scroll of slow fall?

Omeganaut
2012-04-08, 09:32 PM
If you know where your setting needs work, ask for help with those aspects. If you don't, lay out what you have already and ask what is missing. If you think you have everything you need, ask for help reviewing specific sections in order to improve the fluff or balance the crunch. But asking is a very important first step that a lot of people fail to take.

Yora
2012-04-09, 04:41 AM
Take a look at our playgrounders guide to worldbuilding (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227507). It's a huge collection of ideas and advice for the most commonly encountered questions. It might help you getting a general idea of where you want to get and what to ask.