PDA

View Full Version : Potions for Spells..

SetArk
2012-04-06, 03:32 PM
Well one thing that come to my mind..
There's the pearl of power, great item for casters... Then i thought about.. Why not potions? Something oneshot, but with the cost very lower u know?
Studied the pearl of power and item creation feats but didn't thought about how to do it .\
So... Any thoghts about it :3?

Flickerdart
2012-04-06, 03:35 PM
A potion of Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer would work, provided that you had a way of making it not Personal range, and a way of brewing potions above 3rd level - both of which are possible.

DeltaEmil
2012-04-06, 03:37 PM
There is a spell called Imbue Potion or something like that in the Spell Compendium. You create a potion for free by casting the elligible spell on it after casting the spell, but the potion only lasts for a few hours (or 24 hours, I don't really remember).

SetArk
2012-04-06, 03:37 PM
How... Do i make potions of 3 level higher oO"?

DeltaEmil
2012-04-06, 04:06 PM
You can only use spells that could be turned into potions normally, so no Shapechange-potion or anything like that.

gbprime
2012-04-07, 01:11 PM
How... Do i make potions of 3 level higher oO"?

Well, you can use Craft Wondrous Item and make an item with 1 charge for an 80 percent discount off a use activated item and just CALL it a potion...

Or there's the Master Alchemist PrC from Magic of Faerun. Its 3rd ed, but never replaced by newer material, and its full casting, so its actually uasable for a PC. They can eventually make 9th level spells into potions.

Jeraa
2012-04-07, 01:17 PM
Well, you can use Craft Wondrous Item and make an item with 1 charge for an 80 percent discount off a use activated item and just CALL it a potion...

That will get you a 1/day item. A single use, use-activated item is spell level x caster level x 50 (The same as potions.) Potions are just a special case of use-activated, single use items.

A potion is limited in what spells it can hold, but a single use, use-activated wondrous item is not. Cost formula is still the same.

Zaq
2012-04-07, 01:17 PM

Or there's the Master Alchemist PrC from Magic of Faerun. Its 3rd ed, but never replaced by newer material, and its full casting, so its actually uasable for a PC. They can eventually make 9th level spells into potions.

Also, skull talismans (from Frostburn) cost twice as much as potions, but they can hold spells of up to 9th level with no shenanigans. They're also way, way more versatile when it comes to what spells you can put in them. They're generally a pretty sweet deal.

ericgrau
2012-04-07, 05:42 PM
Well a single use item should cost 1/50th of a 5/day item so 1/10th of a 1/day item. That means 100 gp x spell level x spell level for your single use pearl of power. Make it a wondrous item called an elixir of spell recall or something.