PDA

View Full Version : World help

Jodah
2012-04-06, 04:26 PM
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am making a world but if there is one thing I am no good at it is homebrewing races, so I turn to you. If you know of any homebrews out there (or any official races) please direct me.

I am breaking up the races by regions/climate (be warned, some of these have been re-fluffed. stats will remain the same)

Anywhere: Humans, Azurins, Karsites, Changelings, Tibbits

Forests: Adu'ja, Spryte (from Arcana Unearthed - ignores the need for the previous form), Phanaton

Swamplands: Diabolus, Grippli, Kenku

Plains: Catfolk

Mountains: Menta Cyclops, Raptoran

Coast/Sea: Darfallen, Hadozee

I have already moved the grippli from being forest dwellers to swamp dweller (a flavor shift that seems to work fine, but I would rather not have to do), but I want to have at least 3 races per climate type. This means I need at least one more coastal dweller (but not a waterbound race), at lease two more flatlanders, and preferably one more swamp dweller. I really want to avoid hit-dice and LAs over 2.

The world has a more fantastical feel to it, with strange forms of magic (i.e. no standard spell-casters besides bards, but does include incarnum, blade magic, binding, shadowcasting, invocation users and truenaming). Many of the races are anthropomorphic already, and I am fine with that - but I am also fine with more unique creatures. I do want to avoid some fantasy tropes though, such as having elves and dwarves and other almost-humans around. I have a small prejudice against them, but I think they would feel out of place in this world anyway.

Many thanks.

Empedocles
2012-04-06, 06:41 PM
Check out my sig, specifically the redone half-orc, voldur (half orc elf), and demirci. Might find something you like... Tell me if you decide to use it :smallsmile:

Zale
2012-04-06, 07:13 PM
I'm not entirely certain what exactly half of those even are.

I am impressed!

I could create some form of coast-dwelling race for you.

Vinolk

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxlszaXvoI1qglk2qo1_400.jpg
By this wonderfully talented person (http://celts-and-carthaginians.tumblr.com/post/15636808789/finfolk-man-how-u-draw-boats).

Surly and insular, this race of nomads wanders the coasts and rivers. The Vinolk are a tall and gaunt race, looking like humans that have been clumsily stretched. Despite their seeming similarities with humanity, they are far from human. Vinolk take to water with a natural ease, finding both land and sea a livable environment.

Most Vinolk seem to move their boats and barges by way of a long pole. In fact, they use this to guide their various tamed water-beasts. Few, if any, of them will admit to such, since they thrive on mystique.

+2 Dex, -2 Cha. Vinolk are agile, but surly and unfriendly.
Humanoid (Aquatic)
Medium Size
30 Speed, Swim 20
Amphibious
+2 Racial Bonus on swim checks, move silently and handle animal checks.
Favored Class: Rogue
LA: 0?

Jodah
2012-04-06, 09:43 PM
Vilpich: I like the Zshar for one of my flatland races, I think craftsmen with a few permanent villages/towns contrasts nicely with the more nomadic and tribal catfolk.

Zale: I actually really like the Vinolk, I think I will probably flavor them a bit like water shepherds with some of them leading flocks of "sheep" (some utility aquatic animals).

In other news I came across the Loxodon by moghue (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232172). It can probably fit well in the plains. This means I have the races I need. I would still love to see more though.

As I said before, many thanks to everyone.

Zale
2012-04-06, 10:10 PM
Awesome! Good luck with your world-building. :smallsmile:

Empedocles
2012-04-06, 10:13 PM
How would you feel about a swamp race of toadish people? Is that to much? :smallredface:

Grimsage Matt
2012-04-06, 10:24 PM
you want a cool water race? Just give them Waterspawn as a bonus feat.

Jodah
2012-04-07, 02:06 PM
How would you feel about a swamp race of toadish people? Is that to much? :smallredface:

This would be basically grippli (http://images.wikia.com/greatwar/images/8/87/Grippli.jpg) anyway. I think I may have them live on the border lands...that ends my conflict of having them be forest OR marsh dwellers.