PDA

View Full Version : Please change error page for search

peterpaulrubens
2012-04-06, 04:34 PM
When you click on the links to find other posts by a user, it spits out an error page that amounts to "naughty naughty, you're not allowed to do that." Looking at the first page for this forum I see I'm not the only who thought it was something personal to me.

It would save a lot of time if the error page could just be changed to "Search is temporarily disabled due to capacity problems".

Mutant Sheep
2012-04-06, 05:45 PM
When you click on the links to find other posts by a user, it spits out an error page that amounts to "naughty naughty, you're not allowed to do that." Looking at the first page for this forum I see I'm not the only who thought it was something personal to me.

It would save a lot of time if the error page could just be changed to "Search is temporarily disabled due to capacity problems".

However, it'd also take time away from Rawhide's workaging on stuff, and setting up a new error page takes alot more work than just making it so no one can access the page.:smalltongue: And I like the lack of search, the google site: search was always faster for me anyways. And I haven't seen a forum error message since search was disabled.:smallcool:

NerfTW
2012-04-06, 06:04 PM
I really fail to see how

Searching has been disabled.

is in any way unclear or implying that the user has done something wrong. It's very clear. Searching has been disabled. You'd have to be extremely paranoid to even begin to think that it is implying anything other than the fact that searching has been disabled on the forums.

Roland St. Jude
2012-04-06, 06:14 PM
Sheriff: Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to close this now to save Rawhide the time dealing with it. If he has something to add, he can certainly post through the lock.

Rawhide
2012-04-06, 09:30 PM
Quite simply, the error page cannot be changed. Anything that cannot be done because you don't have the permission to do so will give you that same error message.

I would need to make a brand new page, using HTML, not the forum software, then find every single section of the forum templates that link to a search based feature and edit them to point to this page instead. Then, the current error message will still show up if someone uses an old link, if I miss any of the many references, or if they go to it directly.