PDA

View Full Version : Shadar-kai in 3.5, in a well written form?

Gharkash
2012-04-06, 06:06 PM
So, the entry in fiend folio is either written by a retarded spacemonkey or i have the IQ of a rock ( i strongly believe it is the spacemonkey). Is there any official, well written text on the shadar-kai race? I found many on the internets but they seemed homebrew as they had ridiculous lvl adj to power ratios.

Telonius
2012-04-06, 07:56 PM
Spacemonkey isn't all that far off. The biggest problem is that it's 3.0 material, so the Type is a bit weird. But it's really only very recently that the idea of a "playable monster race" has been very supported by any rulebook. (In most of 3.0, it's mostly "You can, but we'll make it so difficult and annoying that you won't want to"). 3 Racial hitdice and +1LA hurt quite a bit for any builds, of course. It shouldn't be too hard to update it, or brew up a Savage progression.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-06, 09:41 PM
Remove the racial HD and it's pretty fine, actually.

Gharkash
2012-04-07, 07:15 AM
The Fiend Folio entry does not state any bonuses to atributes, skills, or anything else. Just Superior low light vision and the racial hit dice. Except from that, what else does a shadar-kai get? I think that there is a shadar-kai playable race in a dragon magazine, does any one know if that is true and in what issue is it?

Frog Dragon
2012-04-07, 08:59 AM
Ability scores can be calculated as follows.

Take ability score. Deduct 10 if even, 11 if odd. This is your racial ability score modifier. Basically, Shadar-Kai get +6 to dex, -2 to cha. The description also lists a +10 bonus to hide in shadowy conditions.

Black Cross
2012-06-09, 05:58 AM
I know they did some extra development on it in Dragon #337, though I don't know if they made it playable. I'm loathe to go to my storage unit and pluck through my older issues of Dragon Magazine to find out. xD

Still, I could get it on PDF and probably get you an answer, provided you don't just do it yourself before I post again.

EDIT: Sadly, they do not provide expressed rules for playing them in game. However, it is easy enough to determine ability bonuses, racial HD, special qualities and a plethora of other statistics by simply looking at the entry when compared to other monsters of a similar type.

The attribute increases as simple as the following:
Use Frog Dragon's suggestion. Back in 3.0, they did things kinda weird.

My experience with DMing and creating monsters and what have you is mostly centered in 3.5, though I began playing back with AD&D. I may look back at 3.0 as being weird now, but when it came out it was a bit of a welcome relief for me, personally. 3.5 just made it better in many ways. In 3.5, they do things a bit differently, for obvious reasons.

For Non-Elite arrays in 3.5, use the following:
Take the highest attribute and subtract 13
Take the 2nd highest attribute and subtract 12
Take the 3rd highest attribute and subtract 11
Take the 4th highest attribute and subtract 10
Take the 5th highest attribute and subtract 9
Take the final attribute and subtract 8

For monsters using the Elite Array generation, use the following:
Take the highest attribute and subtract 15
Take the 2nd highest attribute and subtract 14
Take the 3rd highest attribute and subtract 13
Take the 4th highest attribute and subtract 12
Take the 5th highest attribute and subtract 10
Take the final attribute and subtract 8

Sorry about the lack of readily available source material, but I hope this helps.