PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul 20

Jopustopin
2012-04-06, 06:14 PM
There doesn't seem to be much help out there for Favored Souls which is sad because they are far more balanced then a cleric. Here is a simple, solid build, playable at all levels, and focused on party healing and buffing. I poured through pretty much every book I had trying to build a favored soul that does not prestige class out. I'll add spell selections at a later time but feel free to reply with some that will fit this concept.

Human Favored Soul 20 (PHB II Variant):
1) Versatile Spellcaster (RoD)
H) Extend Spell
3) Knowledge Devotion (CC)
6) Magic of the Land (RoW)
9) Summon Elemental (CM)
12) Rapid Metamagic (CM)
15) Persistent Spell (CA)
18) Quicken Spell

Str: 13-16
Dex: 10-12
Con: 14-16
Int: 12-14
Wis: 8
Cha: 16-18

Knowledge Devotion adds Knowledge (Nature) to your class skills which opens Magic of the Land. The other option is to start level 1 with the feat "Educated" and then take versatile spellcaster at level 3; but since you don't need EVERY knowledge skill and you will get some use out of knowledge devotion the above build is better. You'll need an Int of 12 or 14 for this build. Your spell selection should include spells that buff your entire team and turn you into a melee fighter.

Pretty much the main combo is PHB II variant Favored Soul + Magic of the Land (and standing outside).

Thoughts, suggestions, changes?

chaotician375
2012-04-06, 06:20 PM
Why is wisdom a dump stat? That does still effect your spells saves, or does one of those feats change that.

Jopustopin
2012-04-06, 06:42 PM
Because the favored soul build I proposed focuses on buffing and healing. If an enemy is never going to save against my spell then I don't need a wisdom score.

Godskook
2012-04-06, 06:43 PM
Why is wisdom a dump stat? That does still effect your spells saves, or does one of those feats change that.

You can make a perfectly servicable FS with no spells that offer saves.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-04-06, 07:15 PM
You forgot the Summon Elemental reserve feat.

The Raiment of the Four item set in MIC allows you to spend your spell slots to cast Magic Missile, Fireball, Freedom of Movement, and Teleport a few times each day.

UMD a Runestaff (MIC) to get access to a few Sorcerer spells each day. Make it an Ancestral Relic or an Item Familiar and you can add whatever spells you want to it.

Get the Magical Training regional feat found in Player's Guide to Faerun. It gives you a spellbook, which you've already put several spells in and can therefore add more spells to just as a Wizard learns new spells. When using Versatile Spellcaster you can cast any spell you know of the appropriate level, so it gives you access to the entire Wizard spell list, provided you're able to find and make the check to learn a given spell. You would probably have to open your spellbook to the spell you're going to cast, so it's probably not very useful in combat, but it still adds considerable versatility.

eclipsic
2012-04-06, 07:38 PM
Augment Summoning and one spell per level is probably worth your while. Still no DCs required and some definite usefulness on the combat front. Nothing spectacular, but summoning in celestial critters definitely feels theme-y for a favored soul.

Jopustopin
2012-04-06, 07:42 PM
You forgot the Summon Elemental reserve feat.

And it appears I forgot the human bonus feat.

Augment Summoning and one spell per level is probably worth your while. Still no DCs required and some definite usefulness on the combat front. Nothing spectacular, but summoning in celestial critters definitely feels theme-y for a favored soul.

Augment summoning requires two feats though. I think action economy at higher levels is worth more. A Favored Soul/Malconvoker WOULD put this to good use.

Get the Magical Training regional feat found in Player's Guide to Faerun. It gives you a spellbook, which you've already put several spells in and can therefore add more spells to just as a Wizard learns new spells. When using Versatile Spellcaster you can cast any spell you know of the appropriate level, so it gives you access to the entire Wizard spell list, provided you're able to find and make the check to learn a given spell. You would probably have to open your spellbook to the spell you're going to cast, so it's probably not very useful in combat, but it still adds considerable versatility.

This is clearly not something every DM would allow. But I find it pretty awesome and really like it (I probably wouldn't allow it if I was a DM though). Good find.

Malachei
2012-04-08, 07:49 AM
Interesting. I'd want Quicken earlier.

What about Touch of Healing (CC)?