PDA

View Full Version : Getting Undead past a Cleric of Pelor

Srasy
2012-04-07, 11:22 AM
I have this whistle (from the sunless citadel) that allows me to animate dead
The main problem is that I have a Cleric of Pelor and a Paladin(with a horse who has scent) in the party...
How would I get an undead minion into the party without the other members noticing. What kind of excuse could I make with -2 bluff. And what kind of creature should I be looking to raise?

vampire2948
2012-04-07, 11:28 AM
What are you playing? Can you create some illusions with something?

Also - Probably a bad idea to make undead if you think it'll make your party start attacking each other. Unless you don't care about that... in which case, make some powerful undead that the Cleric and Paladin would have trouble beating.

If undead count as objects.. you may want to cast this on them also. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicAura.htm)

Is your character evil? Would your character actually use undead in the first place?
If you are - Why is there a Paladin in your party?

Vampire2948

Ranting Fool
2012-04-07, 11:36 AM
Disguise undead: A level 2 Wiz/Sor spell in Spell Compendium. Page 66.
It's an Illusion Spell. Lasts 24 Hours. Though your undead still smells and moves badly, you could make it look like a brain damaged hireling.

Remove Scent: A level 1 Druid, Bard, Wiz/Sor spell. Would help you out, also Spell Comp.

Still if you have no bluff they are bound to notice something is not right and that'll end up in them Smiting you :smallbiggrin:

Srasy
2012-04-07, 11:46 AM
My character Is a chaotic neutral half orc Druid follower of kord
Who has the whistle
My character has no qualms with undead because nature will straighten everything out...
The whistle looks really cool and if I sell it I only get a couple thousand gold.
And to me it seems a waste because I could get some really badass undead with it.
I am asking if there would be some viability of using it or if I should sell it?

Ranting Fool
2012-04-07, 11:53 AM
I am asking if there would be some viability of using it or if I should sell it?

If the party will try and kill you because you are an evil necromancer then no not worth it.

If they "use weapons of evil to smite evil" then maybe but Pally's and Pelor types tend to be rather Hard line

vampire2948
2012-04-07, 12:08 PM
What exactly does the whistle do? What spell does it cast?

Vampire2948,

Srasy
2012-04-07, 12:14 PM
Animate Dead

vampire2948
2012-04-07, 12:27 PM
Oh, so you can only make Skeletons and Zombies. That sucks a bit, unless you can find a cool creature like a Dragon lying around with X's for eyes.

There're some nice things you can do with such minions, though, like the spellstitched template (gives your undead limited arcane casting) - Also, the Draconomicon has some more interesting zombie / skeleton dragon templates, which might be worth a look if you animate a dragon.

Vampire2948,

Srasy
2012-04-07, 12:42 PM
Im thinking if I could get the Undead thing to use magic items I could do it...
Hat of disguise plus ring of mind shielding and then cover it with some strong smelling substance...
Then my plan would be to give it to the paladin as a gift and say I gambled with the dragon and he lost so now he do what I say for 10yrs then a fail my sense motive check and turn into a bird.

deuxhero
2012-04-07, 01:04 PM
Find some way to allow them to suffer like mortals.

Starbuck_II
2012-04-07, 01:18 PM
Im thinking if I could get the Undead thing to use magic items I could do it...
Hat of disguise plus ring of mind shielding and then cover it with some strong smelling substance...
Then my plan would be to give it to the paladin as a gift and say I gambled with the dragon and he lost so now he do what I say for 10yrs then a fail my sense motive check and turn into a bird.

You don't need Hat of disguise if you make a good enough Disguise check.
But ring of mindshield is a very good idea.

Toy Killer
2012-04-07, 02:00 PM
IMHO, it would require a long work around for little benefit. Skellies/zombies aren't worth it in most cases (the exception being as trap fodder, simple messengers by tying notes to their legs or what-not, and mild entertainment) but if you don't think you'll find a Hydra or an outsider corpse for a while, Pawn it off to someone that doesn't have such unforgiving company.

if it doesn't require the Black onyx spell component, that is your selling point, btw...

Slipperychicken
2012-04-07, 05:27 PM
"It's for the greater good. These men and women will save countless innocent lives. Their sacrifice shall not be in vain."

Only use bodies of the Wicked (if it pings the Evil-dar or is generally being a bad person). Their souls would become Devils/Demons anyway, so you might as well lock them up as long as possible, and do some good in the meantime. Every wicked soul that gets off the material is one more servant of darkness, and you don't want to be responsible for creating Fiends, do you?

Check in with the DM on the morality of undeath, status of undead souls, whether Paladins fall for fighting evil with them, and if historical examples of undead used for greater goods exist. They *will* find out, and what you need is to do is convince these guys its the right thing to do.

Toy Killer
2012-04-07, 05:50 PM
Don't Bone Knights in Eberron follow that general philosophy? I've never followed Eberron, but I remember reading the Bone Knight class for a necromancer cleric build.

Steward
2012-04-07, 07:41 PM
It seems like you should really check with your DM about the moral code applied to the players and in the setting as a whole. If using undead isn't an intrinsically evil act, you might be in the clear. (The Paladin might not necessarily approve, but there's a difference between him viewing your act as an unspeakably evil deed or as being only somewhat dishonorable, like the rogue's 'sneak attack' ability). If it isn't, then I think you could probably just hold onto the whistle and only use it in a dire situation.

Animate dead is only a standard action -- there's no need to make the undead minion now (and trigger the ensuing conflict) when you might not even use its services until much later, right?

erikun
2012-04-07, 08:18 PM
If undead count as objects.. you may want to cast this on them also. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicAura.htm)
Sadly, undead are creatures and creatures do not count as objects. No saying what happens if you cast it on a corpse and then animate it, though.

Please note that "magical" and "undead" (or even "evil") are wholly seperate things, so there is no reason to think the spell would supress anything but the necromatic magical effect of the undead creature.

Grendus
2012-04-07, 08:56 PM
Don't druids generally despise the undead, even more than Clerics of Pelor? Anyways, I'd recommend you sell or destroy it, two members of your party would oppose it, and technically so should you (not that I'm a big proponent of the "that's what my character would do" mentality, but if it's a big and un-waived part of the classes fluff...).

vampire2948
2012-04-08, 01:55 AM
Don't druids generally despise the undead, even more than Clerics of Pelor? Anyways, I'd recommend you sell or destroy it, two members of your party would oppose it, and technically so should you (not that I'm a big proponent of the "that's what my character would do" mentality, but if it's a big and un-waived part of the classes fluff...).

He's trying to justify it using the recycling argument (http://www.cafepress.co.uk/orderofthestick.336178824). Still a bit weird for a druid, even a chaotic one. :l
But if his DM is fine with it...

EDIT : Oooh, oooh. See if you can get your Cleric (with DM approval) to tweak it a bit so it makes Deathless rather than regular Zombies? They're from the Eberron campaign setting, and are basically 'Goodly Undead'.

Dairuga
2012-04-11, 09:26 PM
First, create an undead. Blow your whistle, animate, get it up.

Secondly, cast Disguise undead. Your undead is now a wounded, badly-beat up
child, dirty an ragged.

Third. Get cleric sympathy.

Fourth. Make Cleric cast Cure critical wounds (or an equavilent) on the disguised undead.

Fifth. Watch as the Cleric gazes in horror as the child he / she attempted to heal dies as the cleric lays his hands on the child. Watch as a part of the cleric's soul dies, having just witnessed the death of the very first child he have murdered. Chalk it up to an unexplained illness the child had, optionally with extra sting if the cleric so brashly decided to heal it without taking other things into consideration. You now have a murderer on your team, and you should make very sure that the cleric knows this.

Sixth. The cleric will now need heavy mental recovery, possibly putting him away in solitude for months to come as he meditates and tries to seek forgiveness wtih himself and his god for the misdeeds he did.

Seventh. Congratulations! You now have a party without a Pelor-related cleric! Enjoy your undead whistle as much as you want.

Winter Light
2012-04-11, 09:31 PM
First, create an undead. Blow your whistle, animate, get it up.

Secondly, cast Disguise undead. Your undead is now a wounded, badly-beat up
child, dirty an ragged.

Third. Get cleric sympathy.

Fourth. Make Cleric cast Cure critical wounds (or an equavilent) on the disguised undead.

Fifth. Watch as the Cleric gazes in horror as the child he / she attempted to heal dies as the cleric lays his hands on the child. Watch as a part of the cleric's soul dies, having just witnessed the death of the very first child he have murdered. Chalk it up to an unexplained illness the child had, optionally with extra sting if the cleric so brashly decided to heal it without taking other things into consideration. You now have a murderer on your team, and you should make very sure that the cleric knows this.

Sixth. The cleric will now need heavy mental recovery, possibly putting him away in solitude for months to come as he meditates and tries to seek forgiveness wtih himself and his god for the misdeeds he did.

Seventh. Congratulations! You now have a party without a Pelor-related cleric! Enjoy your undead whistle as much as you want.

This... is...

...A distressingly awesome idea.

Dairuga
2012-04-11, 09:41 PM
This... is...

...A distressingly awesome idea.

Thank you, thank you.

*Bows graciously*