PDA

View Full Version : Artifacts of the Abyssal Lords (PEACH)

LordofBones
2012-04-07, 01:33 PM
Since the Abyssal lords are ancient godlike beings that happen to be complete sociopaths, I thought it was odd that they didn't have their own minor artifacts floating around to really screw with people. I thought I'd present some new artifacts based on the Lords and see how things go from there.

Harrowfen Shroud (Artifact)
Price (Item Level): - (Artifact)
Body Slot: Shoulders
Caster Level: 25th
Aura: Strong; (DC 24) Conjuration, Enchantment
Activation: Standard Action
Weight: 2 lb

This deep green cloak is cold and moist to the touch. Upon closer inspection, agonized faces writhe upon the fabric.

Sacred to the faith of Fraz-Urb’Luu, this cloak is closely guarded by the chief servants of the Demon Prince of Illusion. When worn, this permanently active major cloak of displacement provides the following benefits:
• A +6 profane bonus to AC and saving throws.
• A +3 bonus to the caster level and DC of the wearer’s Illusion spells.
• [Shadow] spells function at +30% potency
• Fraz-urb’luu’s disjunction by touch, 1/day.
The harrowfen shroud allows its wearer to change his summoning selection when casting Conjuration spells by immediately selecting a creature of similar type (but not subtype) to be summoned, even if such a creature is not listed as a viable summoning. The wearer can only call creatures that do not exceed the limits allowed by the spell.
The deadliest power of the harrowfen shroud is its ability to alter reality as perceived by others. Its wearer is perceived as a loved one or one cared for dearly by any person or creature looking at him; who are treated as though affected by a dominate monster spell (Will DC 23 negates). Only twice the wearer’s Hit Dice of creatures can be affected in such a manner.

If you've seen this before, it's probably because I posted it four years ago in the Realms of Evil forums.

Debihuman
2012-04-07, 04:46 PM
What happens if a creature of lawful or good alignment dons the cloak?

You call it a major cloak of displacement in paragraph 2. Is that correct or a typo? Also, where can I find the spell , Fraz-urb’luu’s disjunction? I have no idea what it does. It isn't even listed as one of his spells in the Fiendish Codex I.

If there is only one of these, it would be a Major Artifact.

Debby

Steward
2012-04-07, 07:44 PM
This seems pretty cool. It fits the flavor of the Abyssal Lord pretty well and it seems mechanically potent.

Quick question though:

• [Shadow] spells function at +30% potency

OK, so the shadow spell 'Shades (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shades.htm)' is already 80% real. What would this effect's enhancement do it?

LordofBones
2012-04-07, 11:00 PM
I took that Shadow spell enhancement from a prestige class in...Races of Stone, I think.

Yes, it is a constantly active major cloak of displacement.Fraz-Urb'Luu's disjunction is just a renamed Mordenkainen's disjunction, since Fraz hates all humanity.

Steward
2012-04-07, 11:30 PM
I think the worst thing about that guy is his penchant for plagiarism. It almost makes his constant, frenzied attempts to corrupt the souls of the innocent almost seem charming. :smallwink:

LordofBones
2012-04-08, 12:19 AM
I think the worst thing about that guy is his penchant for plagiarism. It almost makes his constant, frenzied attempts to corrupt the souls of the innocent almost seem charming. :smallwink:

Fraz would probably accuse his accusers of plagiarizing him.