PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a list of outsiders

Tantaburs
2012-04-07, 02:14 PM
So i'm going to be playing an outsider with Alter self and i need a list of good outsiders to change into. I'll be a ranged character so a race that can fly while also working a crossbow would be preferred

hivedragon
2012-04-07, 02:24 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablefilter=outsider

CIDE
2012-04-07, 02:29 PM
Valkyrie from ToB is kind of broken. At least as a playable race it's a +5 LA but it gets 10 levels of Swordsage at what is essentially a level 6 character as far as experience goes. Flight, Large size, a few nifty powers, some natural armor, etc.

Flickerdart
2012-04-07, 02:35 PM
Valkyrie from ToB is kind of broken. At least as a playable race it's a +5 LA but it gets 10 levels of Swordsage at what is essentially a level 6 character as far as experience goes. Flight, Large size, a few nifty powers, some natural armor, etc.
And 11 Outsider HD. 6th level? More like 16th. Unless, of course, you level drain the HD away, but many DMs will frown heavily upon that.

Sutremaine
2012-04-07, 03:46 PM
Valkyrie from ToB is kind of broken. At least as a playable race it's a +5 LA
Alter Self goes only by HD.

I'm not sure how you could lower a creature's HD for use with Alter Self -- find a creature with too many HD, drain some of them off, and then declare that you're going to use Alter Self to turn into that individual creature?

CIDE
2012-04-07, 03:49 PM
And 11 Outsider HD. 6th level? More like 16th. Unless, of course, you level drain the HD away, but many DMs will frown heavily upon that.

I misworded it. And I never said the DM's would like it.

Flickerdart
2012-04-07, 04:28 PM
Then you might as well go with Black Ethergaunts, who sport 17th level Wizard spellcasting for +3 LA.

Malimar
2012-04-07, 04:43 PM
Consider this:

The highest-CR Outsider with 5 or fewer HD, at least from the rather generous list of sources I allow, is the CR10 Shikibu no Oni (Shadowlands Oni) from Oriental Adventures. Which is 3.0, so maybe ask your DM.
Runners-up:
Maurezhi (Demon) from Fiend Folio is CR9.
Keeper, also from Fiend Folio, is CR7.
Dwarf Ancestor from MM4 and Xill from MM1 are CR6.

For flying while operating a crossbow, your best bets might be the following CR5 Outsiders with two hands, a fly speed, and fewer than 5 HD: Sylph (MM2), Black Abishai (FC2), Juvenile Nabassu (FC1), Visilight (MM3).