PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Grafts and Wealth by Level

Joe Eskimo
2012-04-07, 03:00 PM
Would getting a graft count against my character wealth by level? I want this graft but it costs 12,000 gp and i'm only 4th level so i only get 5,400 gp worth of magic items and i'm using it on wondrous items. I could say I was the test subject for a first time grafter so it was free or I was kidnapped and was experimented upon and now i'm stuck with this graft. I don't plan to use it much in combat, it'll be more of a signature thing, like a new tattoo. It's the serpent arms graft btw, I'm really taking a liking to that snake stuck on Kabuto's body. So, is it too soon for me to have this graft and should I wait for when I reach 6th level and blow all my cash on this one? I could survive on nothing at this point, me being a monk and all. So, what do you guys think?

Glimbur
2012-04-07, 06:45 PM
Yes, the purpose of wealth by level is to regulate the amount of item-based power a character of a given level. Having a graft attached by a mad wizard in your backstory is equivalent to starting with a +4 Holy Keen Greatsword because it's a family heirloom.

That said, if you are interested in flavor and window dressing rather than mechanical bonuses, talk to your GM about it. Heck, talk to your GM regardless.

Madara
2012-04-07, 07:32 PM
Most grafts are overpriced because they don't take up slots. The pricing doesn't take into account the fact that you won't be able to afford additional items anyways.:smallamused:

Ask if you can get some sort of price reduction for saying "I can't wear magic rings or bracers because they won't work on the graft"

Acanous
2012-04-07, 10:13 PM
alternatively, have it be fluff-only until you can affoard it.
"The apprentice grafter that did this was an apprentice for a reason, and the grafts don't actually convey any mechanical changes". Then, when you can affoard it, your character goes to a grafter and gets the graft "Fixed". Now it works as normal.

Joe Eskimo
2012-04-08, 01:36 AM
:smallsmile: great ideas everyone. I'll probably go with the broken graft as suggested by Acanous. For now it'll just be a snake that has no poison bite ang the snake gets spooked when in combat and cowers under my robes or tries to get away. :smallbiggrin: hey it's free. That'll give me more reasons to get him fixed. Thanks for all the help people. :smallsmile: