PDA

View Full Version : Finding a System that fits

Anderlith
2012-04-07, 06:01 PM
Okay so this is probably a tall order. So want to run a game in a world inspired by the book Pyramid Scheme & the book series Everworld.

First a bit of story...
There are two different worlds; real, modern world, & a world where all the gods & creatures of magic went to. The worlds used to be the same until they were sundered. In the old world the gods were people/creatures that gained power from people's belief (Immortal thoughts given conscience). The more followers a god had the more powerful they were. The gods fought each other with mortals as the pawns. Mankind rebelled & there was a great war, to aid the humans were the Titans. Humans with supernatural abilities. Mortals with the powers to rival the gods. The war was bloody but it came to a truce. The world would be sundered in twain, one for the humans who did not want to follow the gods, & one for the gods & their followers & creatures of magic.

There are still portals, areas where the veil between worlds is thin. & over the centuries their have been people/things that have crossed the barrier one way or another.

The players would play themselves (nerds & geeks) They would be transferred from the modern world to the land of myth. There they find out that they are the decedents of Titans, & will slowly gain supernatural powers. They will be able to bring technology to the mythworld. Guns & cellphones (no satellites to make them useful though). I need a system with robust non-linear skills that include more modern skills with mechanics for guns & magic. & another set of mechanics to handle Titan abilities (non linear spell like abilities).

Grinner
2012-04-07, 06:07 PM
The players would play themselves (nerds & geeks) They would be transferred from the modern world to the land of myth. There they find out that they are the decedents of Titans, & will slowly gain supernatural powers. They will be able to bring technology to the mythworld. Guns & cellphones (no satellites to make them useful though). I need a system with robust non-linear skills that include more modern skills with mechanics for guns & magic. & another set of mechanics to handle Titan abilities (non linear spell like abilities).

Elaborate on what you mean by "non-linear". Non-linear accrual? The option for specialization?

Off the top of my head, World of Darkness with few sourcebooks would work. WitchCraft (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/692/CJ-Carrella%27s-WitchCraft?it=1) could also work.

Anderlith
2012-04-07, 06:08 PM
Elaborate on what you mean by "non-linear". Non-linear accrual? The option for specialization?

Off the top of my head, World of Darkness with few sourcebooks would work. WitchCraft (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/692/CJ-Carrella%27s-WitchCraft?it=1) could also work.

For the most part I mean classless.

Grinner
2012-04-07, 06:21 PM
Then yes, those are what you're looking for.

Glimbur
2012-04-07, 06:40 PM
Consider Scion. It's a White Wolf game based on characters being children of gods and gaining more power as they become more Legendary. You'd have to heavily edit the background and fluff, but it could work. As a bonus, it is class-less.

Anderlith
2012-04-07, 06:50 PM
Does Scion have mechanics for say, wolves & rhinos to Roman soldiers to Chimera?

Glimbur
2012-04-07, 07:06 PM
There are rules for monsters. And animals. Even if Scion itself doesn't have stats for animals, the fact that it is a White Wolf game means you can import stats from other White Wolf games.

Anxe
2012-04-07, 07:50 PM
The campaign setting sounds a bit like Rifts. I have no idea what the mechanics for Rifts are though, so I don't know if thats what you're looking for in that arena.

Anderlith
2012-04-08, 11:37 AM
Well thank you guys, I think I will go with Scion. I'll even use some of the fluff.

Anderlith
2012-04-10, 07:53 PM
So I'm back again with another question. Does Scion have a merit & flaw subsystem like World of Darkness?

Grinner
2012-04-12, 09:41 AM
It should. They're both Storyteller games.