PDA

View Full Version : Skill breaking points and caps [3.5]

kulosle
2012-04-07, 09:30 PM
So say you had a limited but easy way to get skills up to what ever level you wanted them too. Like you could spend 50 gold (or some similar amount) to get a permanent bonus to a skill that stacked with everything including itself. So you can't just get it to arbitrarily high, but you can probably get it to as high as you need it. The point question is what is the highest you need a skill to be? And if you don't want to be able to do the epic things with the skill where are the other logical breaking points. The first obvious breaking point is at 1 rank, so that you qualify for thinks that require you to be skilled in it like trained only skills and things like the factotum skill boost. The next would be 5 for synergy purposes. But where from there? What would be the pre epic breaking point.

proposed skill caps. Opposed checks don't have a static cap. The ones that say varies means it isn't an opposed check but I still couldn't find a static cap for. If it has a opposed check and a number, it signifies the largest static dc I could find, but still has an opposed skill check. A + means the skill keeps getting better as you put more points into it and probably doesn't have a cap.
Appraise (int) 50
Autohypnosis (wis) 60
Balance (dex) 120
Bluff (cha) 100 opposed check
Climb (str) 100
Concentration (con) 59 or 10+damage
Craft (int) varies
Decipher Script (int) 95
Diplomacy (cha) 150
Disable Device (int) 130
Disguise(Cha) opposed check
Escape Artist(Dex) 120 opposed check
Forgery(Int) opposed check
Gather Information(Cha) varies
Handle Animal(Cha) 201 trains gold dragon in a minute
Heal(Wis) 100
Hide(Dex) opposed checks
Intimidate(Cha) opposed check (63 beats a gold dragon getting a 20)
Jump(Str) +
Knowledge(Int) 36 (knowledge devotion)
Listen(Wis) opposed check
Move Silently(Dex) opposed checks
Open Lock(Dex) 90
Perform(Cha) 150+
Psicraft(Int) 90
Ride(Dex) 60
Search(Int) 60 opposed check
Sense Motive(Wis) 100 opposed check
Sleight of Hand(Dex) 100 opposed check
Spellcraft(Int) 90
Spot(Wis) 80 opposed check
Survival(Wis) 120
Swim(Str) 100
Tumble(Dex) 100+
Use Magic Device(Cha) 30
Use Psionic Device(Cha) 30
Use Rope(Dex) 80 opposed check

Suggested changes to this list or suggestions for what the logical skill cap would be for non epic uses?

Acanous
2012-04-07, 09:54 PM
where are you getting 150 for pre-epic diplomacy?
I thought the soft-cap would be 50.

kulosle
2012-04-08, 01:58 AM
Those caps were suppose to be for epic usage. I was wondering about the pre epic caps because I those are what I don't know.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-04-08, 05:30 AM
Assuming epic checks are out off the table.

Well you'd want to be able to hit a 50 Iajutsu Focus check and a 36 in every knowledge for Knowledge Devotion.

Appraise, Balance, Climb, Gather Information, Heal, Ride, Spellcraft, Tumble and Use Magic Device all have set DC's that cap out relatively low like <31. The rules in OA more tumble could be worthwhile.

Animal Handling can fall in the above category or go arbitrarily high to train arbitrarily large wild animals.

Caster's will want about as much concentration as they have hp so they can cast through almost being gibbed. ToB characters will want enough to autopass well beyond level appropriate saving throws.

Craft or profession could theoretically go Arbitrarily high for wealth building.

Assuming the bonus is magical Jump would be useless since enough jump to matter would cost more than magical flight.

Disable Device could stop at a 30 check to disarm complex locks to disarm a complex trap and leave no trace or a 40 or 50 to do it with the Fonz kick from Complete Scoundrel. Alternatively Trapsmiths with boosted craft checks could make tougher traps leading to an arms race in buying bonuses. That might not be right I think High DC traps would cost too much regardless of the craftsman's skill. Open Locks Similar 40; 50 or 60 for the fonz kick.

Diplomacy wanna hit 40 for unfriendly to helpful. I'll assume that most hostile things won't talk to us long enough and hurrying is off the table without epic rules.

Escape Artist you'd want enough to beat the highest grapple check so I'm gonna guess 50 something pre-epic.

Intimidate say 50 ish again will scare almost anything.

Perform enough to hit 30 for 3d6 gold and a chance of gaining divine patrons.

Bluff, Disguise, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense motive, Sleight of hands and Spot could all go arbitrarily high since they're opposed checks and others characters could have equally arbitrarily high checks as well.