PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite mount?

_flint_
2012-04-08, 06:16 AM
You know What i like? The spider-eater. It's pretty much the best/most fun flying mount i can think of before dragons. I want to hear everyone's favorite beasties to ride! WOOOOOOO!!!

Kobold-Bard
2012-04-08, 06:18 AM
Had a Paladin of Tyranny once with a Fiendish Rhino, that was pretty sweet.

FearlessGnome
2012-04-08, 07:08 AM
Wyrmling Force Dragon. :smallbiggrin: Available through Zentharim Skymage.

Just for the highly unlikely scenario of the Baddie being chased by heroes with everyone on flying mounts.

1: Fly into tunnel.
2: Be pursued into tunnel.
3: Make Wall of Force.
4: Fly through Wall of Force.
5: Heroes fly into Wall of Force.
6: Profit!

some guy
2012-04-08, 07:17 AM
Dire wolf, it's always dire wolf.

Cicciograna
2012-04-08, 07:22 AM
I'd say Vesuvius, given that I live in Naples, with the Everest coming a close secon...ah, never mind, wrong mount :smallbiggrin:

Eisirt
2012-04-08, 07:55 AM
http://www.lm76.com/gun_mount.htm

Acanous
2012-04-08, 08:17 AM
The party Bard.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-08, 10:14 AM
The Charisma 26 paladin.

But in all seriousness, Ashworms (Sand) are pretty epic.

Drazik
2012-04-08, 10:48 AM
i rode a tyranosaurus that was afraid of fighting once

gorfnab
2012-04-08, 11:17 AM
Magebred Warbeast Riding Dog
Fleshraker
Blink Dog (+Ring of Blinking)
Shadow Mastiff
Phantom Steed

grarrrg
2012-04-08, 11:18 AM
...still waiting for the "yo mama" response...

grarrrg
2012-04-08, 11:19 AM
^ There it is! ^

LOLZ!

Harry
2012-04-08, 11:20 AM
Wyrmling Force Dragon. :smallbiggrin: Available through Zentharim Skymage.

Just for the highly unlikely scenario of the Baddie being chased by heroes with everyone on flying mounts.

1: Fly into tunnel.
2: Be pursued into tunnel.
3: Make Wall of Force.
4: Fly through Wall of Force.
5: Heroes fly into Wall of Force.
6: Profit!

I agree force dragons are the best mount is funny when your Mage has a gold dragon familiar and force dragon mount:smallbiggrin:

Malachei
2012-04-08, 11:51 AM
Drakkensteed.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-04-08, 11:54 AM
Succubus. *cough*

Thiyr
2012-04-08, 12:34 PM
The ogre. (It's a legit mount, too! arms and equipment guide, oh yea.)

Kobold-Bard
2012-04-08, 12:39 PM
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, there's always the ever popular Gelatinous Cube as well, thanks to the Ring of Ooze Riding.

http://thedelvers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/dnd-watercolor-riding-the-cube-jared-hindman.jpg

Darth Stabber
2012-04-08, 01:00 PM
Big fan of hippogriffs, and hippos (blessing of tem-et-nu ftw).

I'd like a unicorn, but I meet none of the prerequisites.

Now with the whole beastiary open (barring dragons) I would pick a triceratops with the winged template (or half celestial/fiend). Flying charging horned death.

Toy Killer
2012-04-08, 07:58 PM
Dunno what it is about dire weasles, but I always think that would be awsome to see someone charge in on. Kobalds, FTW!

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2012-04-08, 09:07 PM
That would be my world record Supermount b

Dancingdeath
2012-04-08, 09:08 PM
Nightmares are pretty good Steeds. Dragons too. For function though, I've found that undead make great mounts because they don't get tired. If you could find a way to get a dracolich to be a mount for you, that'd be awesome, but good luck.

Pokonic
2012-04-08, 09:17 PM
Half Dragon Tyranosaur.Oh yeah.

Gullara
2012-04-08, 10:54 PM
I don't have much experience with mounts, but I really want to play an Ashworm Dragoon someday. The PrC giving you goodies with it definitely helps, but I rather like the idea of having a mount that can move normally, borrow, and climb. Not to mention the PrC lets you stay with it easily while borrowing. But most importantly, Ashworms are damn cool looking. *nodnod*

Darth Stabber
2012-04-08, 11:00 PM
Half Dragon Tyranosaur.Oh yeah.

Charizard?

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-08, 11:35 PM
Warbeast Dragonhawk.

DaMullet
2012-04-08, 11:36 PM
Had a paladin once who swapped his horse for a bison. That was a kind of a goofy campaign all around though.

Callista
2012-04-09, 01:12 AM
Dragons. A dragon big enough to ride is also big enough that you have to negotiate with it--it becomes a teammate rather than a simple source of transportation. And that means it's a real character, not just a cool way to get around. Anybody who doesn't let a dragon have a personality and motivations of its own just isn't doing it right!

Darth Stabber
2012-04-09, 01:50 AM
Dragons. A dragon big enough to ride is also big enough that you have to negotiate with it--it becomes a teammate rather than a simple source of transportation. And that means it's a real character, not just a cool way to get around. Anybody who doesn't let a dragon have a personality and motivations of its own just isn't doing it right!

Necromancers from all over the multiverse disagree with that sentiment, a few enchanters too.

Callista
2012-04-09, 12:55 PM
I still think the necromancers and enchanters aren't doing it right. You just wait until the dragon gets free, its friends find out, or you get a little too uppity and Tiamat or Bahamut sends people after you. Then you'll agree. :D

Daftendirekt
2012-04-09, 01:13 PM
For function though, I've found that undead make great mounts because they don't get tired. If you could find a way to get a dracolich to be a mount for you, that'd be awesome, but good luck.

Dracolich would be nice, but is overkill. A zombie dragon is good enough. The single action per round doesn't matter because you're not using the thing to fight. It retains its flight speed, so mount up and enjoy.

Callista
2012-04-09, 03:26 PM
Yeah, imagine trying to get a dracolich to serve as a mount! You'd be pulverized. Actually, you'd be *lucky* to be pulverized. Most dracoliches aren't nearly that merciful.

And if you actually were powerful enough to dominate or intimidate a dracolich, it'd probably just get killed while you were fighting whatever was powerful enough to challenge you. And then it'd come back and you'd have a recurring problem on your hands...

Go for a zombie dragon if you have to ride a dead dragon. Me, I'd prefer to team up with a live one.

Darth Stabber
2012-04-09, 03:48 PM
Yeah, imagine trying to get a dracolich to serve as a mount! You'd be pulverized. Actually, you'd be *lucky* to be pulverized. Most dracoliches aren't nearly that merciful.

And if you actually were powerful enough to dominate or intimidate a dracolich, it'd probably just get killed while you were fighting whatever was powerful enough to challenge you. And then it'd come back and you'd have a recurring problem on your hands...

Go for a zombie dragon if you have to ride a dead dragon. Me, I'd prefer to team up with a live one.

Live ones require a give and take, a working relationship, respect, payment, and regular food supplies. Dead ones require onyx, once.

Plus if you have 1 undead dragon, chances are you have plenty of other undead minions. Which is strictly superior to not having undead minions, and arguably superior to living minions (for the same reasons listed for dragons).

And the key to maintaining control over a dracoliche is having it's phylactery in a place where it can be destroyed on a whim, preferably with a deadman's switch on a backup phylactery destroyer. Who needs to resort to rebuke/command undead, when you can just use good old fashioned blackmail.

Pokonic
2012-04-09, 04:10 PM
Charizard?

Yep.:smallbiggrin: Best bloody pet my party ever had.

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-09, 04:39 PM
Succubus. *cough*

I see your Succubus and raise you a Phasm.

Callista
2012-04-09, 05:53 PM
Live ones require a give and take, a working relationship, respect, payment, and regular food supplies. Dead ones require onyx, once.But they're also devoid of creativity, initiative, and intelligence. A dead dragon is just a glorified cart horse. A live one is an ally that your enemies will fear.

Plus if you have 1 undead dragon, chances are you have plenty of other undead minions. Which is strictly superior to not having undead minions, and arguably superior to living minions (for the same reasons listed for dragons). And I'd argue that it's inferior, for the same reasons as dead dragons. Sure, you can have your army of undead; but the only intelligence it's got is your own single brain. That's all. You might have a 30 INT by then, but it's still only one person, one perspective. Having living commanders and a living army means you have an army that is flexible, can take initiative, act on its own. Of course you could be commanding sentient undead; but then that has its own problems, because chances are every single one of your army would rather be eating someone's innards, taking over your position as commander, or acting out their own schemes.

And the key to maintaining control over a dracoliche is having it's phylactery in a place where it can be destroyed on a whim, preferably with a deadman's switch on a backup phylactery destroyer. Who needs to resort to rebuke/command undead, when you can just use good old fashioned blackmail.Dragons are smart; dragons old and smart enough to become dracoliches, doubly so. Sure, you could keep one on a leash--but for how long? Remember, a dracolich lives forever, and it may well bide its time until you die, retrieve your spirit from the afterlife, and use you as a chew toy for the rest of its considerably long existence.

Omegas
2012-04-09, 07:04 PM
To be honest I prefer the mule.

Its dirt cheap, good in rough terrain, does not draw attention, and if I am in a bad way I don't feel bad for killing it to survive. I cant say, I every had difficulties finding a place to stable my overly exotic and high maintenance mule. Though I would guess that stabling a T-Rex or a dragon would come with some collateral damage and some hefty fines. Technically - The though of hiring stable boys seems like a daunting task alone.

A lot of people care about making an entrance, but to be honest, if you get to your destination and your feet don't hurt then you did good.:smallsmile:

Adindra
2012-04-09, 07:55 PM
my favorite mount is a dire tortoise that i have in a current game.

It has a bunch of feats that it uses its (enhanced) gargantuan size to accomplish and it carries my aquatic character (dragon abberration of a sea dragon {hes a druid}) around on his back in a giant bowl made of a special sea clay in the arms and equipment guide that constantly overflows thanks to the decanter of endless water i installed in it.

some of his abilities include
stomping to knock everyone in an 80ft radius prone
literally blowing flying creatures and ground based creatures away or prone
the ability to breathe water and speak common
among other things :smallcool:

edit: and he can burrow