PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Looking for a 1-shot Adventure!

Chained Birds
2012-04-08, 04:31 PM
Hey guys and gals!

A friend's birthday is coming up and he wanted to have a game of Pathfinder seeing as all our previous groups have long since died off. So I wanted to DM a game for him and a group of D&D friends during his party for him, though he would prefer a 1-shot adventure path rather than a homebrewed setting and story.

My question to my fellow playgrounders: What adventure path would suit the following criteria?

1. The group for the game will be fairly small (around 3-5 players).
2. I'd prefer a path that doesn't start everyone at level 1 because I also want to show one of the players (a 3.5 veteran) some of the fun that comes out of Pathfinder. And doing a 1st level game just doesn't show off too much in regards to what new stuff the classes and what certain feat-chains/spells can accomplish. Let's just say around level 3-8.
3. It can be a 3.5 (or conversion if there is a good one) too, just as long as it's a 1-shot and I don't have to do so much work on my end making all the creatures PF compatible.
4. Doesn't have to be free... Though Free would be very nice. Especially if anyone can provide a link to the path so I can check it out.
5. MUST BE FUN!!!

That's about it, hope I get a few suggestions. :smallwink:

deuxhero
2012-04-08, 05:56 PM
Aren't there a set of free ones by Pazio meant for PFS play?

Arutema
2012-04-08, 09:22 PM
Sadly, all Paizo's free ones thus far have been for level 1 play. They're putting out a free 5th-level module in June, but that's still a ways off.

If you're looking for something in the 4-5 hours range, try The Midnight Mauler (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8qpv?Pathfinder-Society-Scenario-316-The-Midnight-Mauler), a Pathfinder society story that can be run at levels 3-4 or 6-7. It has a good mix of RP, combat, and skill challenges, though you may want to apply some houserules to the skill challenge.

Hylas
2012-04-08, 09:56 PM
3.5 converts to Pathfinder pretty easily (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy89m6), so I'll just link this:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b&page=1

The only one I've played is the "Something's Cooking" adventure, which is a pretty decent one-shot, if not lower level than what you're looking for (and maybe too short). Any adventure with what the players termed "a hot pocket golem" is a good adventure. You could take the theme and make it bigger, perhaps a castle and the wizard chef there created multiple constructs out of various food items by accident using a magical macguffin/demon, which is animating all of the food in the castle, and only growing stronger making other inanimate objects into violent bedsheets and couch cushions.

Cieyrin
2012-04-09, 10:59 AM
I was going to suggest We Be Goblins! but it fails to meet the level metric you're after. If you want to look through PFS scenarios, which go for about $3-4 a piece, I found the scenario Sewer Dragons and Before the Dawn Part 2: Rescue at Azlant Ridge were good ones. Sewer Dragons has a nice fake out for throwing players for a loop and Azlant Ridge lets one of the players control an ancient iron golem to battle a monkey god in a no-holds barred brawl. :smallbiggrin: Murder on the Throaty Mermaid adapts depending on how you want to play it and the murderer can literally be anybody on the ship. So that covers a lot of potential sources of fun, depending on your players. For Before the Dawn, Part 1 isn't required before Part 2 but you could play them back to back to get a nice story going and the first scenario can affect the second, so I leave that up to you, though it pushes the 'One-Shot' definition, as playing both could take 6-8 hours, which may be more than you want to play at a time.

Chained Birds
2012-04-09, 12:59 PM
Hmm, play styles...

1. The 3.5 veteran: He plays most chaotic neutral to lawful evil aligned character and is notorious for his brutality in games. He has broken many GMs with stuff like Diplomancing shops to get whatever he wants, to killing NPCs that he feels have wronged him (But never in a Chaotic stupid sort of way).
- I feel I can handle him, as I'm fairly confident in my abilities to convince him to go my way on stuff like "Not killing the princess, because her father has a high level archivist at his disposal and knows you name and face."

2. A 4e Player (but prefers PF): He's been very interested in playing PF again and likes how PF doesn't have as many loops or wins like in 3.5. He usually plays a smart character and is moderately good at min/maxing.

3. The birthday boy: PF is his favorite. He makes very unique characters and usually performs those very memorable/wild things that people still talk about.

4. Birthday Boy's Girlfriend (Maybe): I'm not sure of her involvement as she doesn't like me for very good reasons (I was a jerk during my involvement in one of her games; and I'm very unhappy with myself for that :smallfrown:), so she is a big maybe. She seems to enjoy powerful character, i.e. high-damage output characters, and would most likely play an easy class like barbarian or rogue.

So these are probably the people I'll be working with.