PDA

View Full Version : Test of Mind

Istari
2012-04-08, 08:20 PM
I'm currently preparing the introduction to a campaign for my players. I'd like to have some tests/challenges to introduce them to rules/plot/etc. (Using a newish system). I currently have a combat thing and social interaction challenge planned. I would like to have some interesting challenge of smarts, both from a player and character perspective. I haven't been able to think of a good test though, which is why I'm here.

Some constraints/factors I'm working with
-There are a bunch of NPCs who should also be competing and interacted with (20ish, but not all of them need to be seen)
-Due to format, my players will not necessarily know each other, so there is no need to keep them together, but the challenge shouldn't break if they end up working together.
-I can't rely on complicated magic or technology for complex challenges.

Basically just looking for input for ideas or suggestions. I'll try to watch the thread and quickly respond to any questions. Thanks for the help.

Bastian Weaver
2012-04-09, 04:41 AM
A classic detective situation, perhaps? Talk to the suspects, look for clues, and try to discover the truth.

Kol Korran
2012-04-09, 05:47 AM
a simple yet interesting test:
there is a large room, in which there are about 15-20 alcove in the walls, covered by some fabric. in each alcove is a hidden object of some kind. above each alcove there are 2-3 words that might hint (vaguely) to the nature of the object. there are several difficulty levels (1-3? 1-4?) and the alcove are clearly marked to indicate their level.

each person who enters the room get a set of colored sticks (10-20) they represent questions they can ask the attendant near any alcove (yes/ no types of questions, sort of in the game "20 questions"). each person is supposed to be on their own, but they can join their question sticks and work as one party, but then they must relinquish some sticks as a price (so lets say 5 individual people may have 20 questions each, but 5 together will get 75). you can't join and then part- you must stick by the group. (limit the number of people per group)

There is an allotted time to ask all the questions. after that time each person (or group) are considered as one entity for judging. each such entity may declare what they think is in an alcove. they may also abstain. if they are right, they get points equal to the alcove difficulty. if they fail they are reduced half of it's difficulty. if they abstain nothing happens.

whomever gets most points win?
now just need to figure out what is in the alcoves, and how much do the other guess correctly (sneakier people in the party might try and listen or watch what others ask. you decide how easy that is going to be, and how allowed.)

Istari
2012-04-09, 06:19 PM
a simple yet interesting test:
there is a large room, in which there are about 15-20 alcove in the walls, covered by some fabric. in each alcove is a hidden object of some kind. above each alcove there are 2-3 words that might hint (vaguely) to the nature of the object. there are several difficulty levels (1-3? 1-4?) and the alcove are clearly marked to indicate their level.

I like it, lots of possibilities for different strategies. Very open for modifications if I need to adjust anything too. Ideas like this is just what I was looking for, thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Wyntonian
2012-04-09, 10:34 PM
I'd like to see this. (http://xkcd.com/246/)