PDA

View Full Version : Mystic vs. Magus

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 06:23 AM
I'm torn. I have two good builds but I don't know which one to choose, so you guys will be choosing for me :smallbiggrin:

The main idea of the character is to stay out of harms way while either spamming violated chain lightning or something similar, or letting minions fight and using battlefield control. So basically a combo between GOD and a glass cannon.

The two builds are as follows:

Wizard/1 Cleric/3 Mystic Theruge/10 True Necromancer/6
Wizard 5/Incantatrix 3/Nar Demonbinder (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030502a&page=2) 1/Ultimate Magus 10/Incantatrix 1

Now I'm looking for purely the most powerful build if you take into consideration that the campaign will start at 15th level. Which one of them would kick ass the hardest? And if you have any suggestions on how to improve on them or what to do with them, I'd gladly accept.

sonofzeal
2012-04-09, 06:46 AM
True Necromancer is generally considered a terrible waste. All your milestones are delayed, and the class features are pretty pitiful. There's an excellent writeup out there someone breaking down exactly how terrible it is. You're almost guaranteed to be better off with a Necromancer Wizard, evil Cleric, or Dread Necromancer.

Your second build, however, takes advantage of some very popular and rather broken content. Both "Incantatix" and "Nar Demonbinder" are considered excellent PrCs; and Ultimate Magus is far better than Mystic Theurge, especially with creative use of Practiced Spellcaster. My DM senses tingle just looking at that level breakdown - this is a character sheet to audit carefully, and gauge against what the other players are turning in.

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 06:53 AM
True Necromancer is generally considered a terrible waste. All your milestones are delayed, and the class features are pretty pitiful. There's an excellent writeup out there someone breaking down exactly how terrible it is. You're almost guaranteed to be better off with a Necromancer Wizard, evil Cleric, or Dread Necromancer.

Your second build, however, takes advantage of some very popular and rather broken content. Both "Incantatix" and "Nar Demonbinder" are considered excellent PrCs; and Ultimate Magus is far better than Mystic Theurge, especially with creative use of Practiced Spellcaster. My DM senses tingle just looking at that level breakdown - this is a character sheet to audit carefully, and gauge against what the other players are turning in.

The first build does secure double 9's though. I as well am leaning towards the second build.

I'm actually going to be playing a villain with 2 other people against a party of 6 heroes(one of which is a mailman sorcerer and the other a DMM persist cleric) so I'm actually going for a little bit of a powerful build :smallbiggrin:

Analytica
2012-04-09, 07:13 AM
Note that UM + NDB lets you sacrifice NDB high-level spell slots for extra metamagic... this is possibly stronger than DMM.

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 07:15 AM
Note that UM + NDB lets you sacrifice NDB high-level spell slots for extra metamagic... this is possibly stronger than DMM.

Indeed, and it will help me fuel some of my kill-hero spells. :smallwink:

Harry
2012-04-09, 01:27 PM
Got to agree true necromaner is weak while your "magus" is quite strong so the second build

Wavelab
2012-04-09, 03:02 PM
Alright it's settled. I'll take the second build.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to optimize it? My feats are a little restrictive, but I have few free.

What spells should I use, how should I use them, stuff like that. :smallbiggrin: