PDA

View Full Version : Height/Volume of different sizes

SilverLeaf167
2012-04-09, 11:23 AM
Does anyone have any idea what would be the volume of a vaguely humanoid creature of different sizes (from Tiny to Colossal, at least), or some kind of information that would bring me one step closer to calculating it?

To get this out of the way:
The "Space" of the creature isn't very useful in solving this problem, as it isn't even supposed to actually reflect its physical size (unless you think Medium creatures are 5x5x5ft. blocks).

Stegyre
2012-04-09, 11:33 AM
How much realism do you want?

If you are just magically enlarging or shrinking a creature, so it maintains all the same proportions, its volume (and mass) changes eight-fold each time its linear dimensions double. As each size category is twice the (linear) dimension of the next smaller one, this means a human enlarged to large will have 8 times his normal volume.

If you want something approximating real life, it is far more complicated, because of what's called the square-cube law: material strengths tend to depend upon their cross section (the "square"), while their mass depends upon their volume (the "cube"). Thus, the bigger something is, the "weaker" it is. This is why insects can perform amazing feats of strength and we can't.

Of course, if you're going to apply the square-cube law, say goodbye to D&D. That kind of math is one of the first things that must give way in the face of fantasy.

SilverLeaf167
2012-04-09, 11:35 AM
How much realism do you want?

If you are just magically enlarging or shrinking a creature, so it maintains all the same proportions, its volume (and mass) changes eight-fold each time its linear dimensions double. As each size category is twice the (linear) dimension of the next smaller one, this means a human enlarged to large will have 8 times his normal volume.

If you want something approximating real life, it is far more complicated, because of what's called the square-cube law: material strengths tend to depend upon their cross section (the "square"), while their mass depends upon their volume (the "cube"). Thus, the bigger something is, the "weaker" it is. This is why insects can perform amazing feats of strength and we can't.

Of course, if you're going to apply the square-cube law, say goodbye to D&D. That kind of math is one of the first things that must give way in the face of fantasy.
Okay, I can live with the first rule... as soon as someone enlightens us on the exact volume of a 6ft. tall, bulky male human :smallsmile:

Stegyre
2012-04-09, 11:39 AM
Okay, I can live with the first rule... as soon as someone enlightens us on the exact volume of a 6ft. tall, bulky male human :smallsmile:
Here's another simplification that should get you in the ball park, especially if you're using metric (and based on your profile, I expect you are):

1 kg of water (mass) fills 1 liter (volume).

The human body is basically the same density as water, so just take your character's mass in kg and translate that directly to volume in liters.

. . . just one more way in which metric shows its superiority in ease of use! :smallsmile:

SilverLeaf167
2012-04-09, 12:04 PM
Here's another simplification that should get you in the ball park, especially if you're using metric (and based on your profile, I expect you are):

1 kg of water (mass) fills 1 liter (volume).

The human body is basically the same density as water, so just take your character's mass in kg and translate that directly to volume in liters.

. . . just one more way in which metric shows its superiority in ease of use! :smallsmile:
Ok, let's try this.
weight 90 kg = volume 0.09 m3 = 3.1778 cu.ft.
So that would mean a large creature is ~25.4224 cu.ft., huge is 203.3792 cu.ft. and so on.

Btw, the meaning of this whole exercise was to determine what I need in order to make an Epic spell that animates "fake elementals" of different sizes from different substances.

Colossal is 13016 cu.ft., ouch! I think I should try a permanent Summon seed instead...