PDA

View Full Version : Weird Campaign Idea: Drow Campaign [3.P DM]

Tokuhara
2012-04-09, 01:23 PM
I was browsing my library and came across Drow of the Underdark. Remembering all of the "fun" things I did playing a Highborn Drow Noble Wizard, I thought to myself, "How cool would it be to DM an all-drow D&D/PF game?" Then, I dug further, and found Plot and Poison, Quintessential Drow, Encyclopaedia Arcana: Drow Magic, among other Drow-themed books (I'm a HUGE drow fanboy), and the ideas started flooding in.

So my questions:

1. How would an all-Drow campaign play out? I understand that Drow are "stronger" than the average character (worthy of 2LA from WotC), and with 4 distinct flavors (Drow, Half-Drow, Drow Noble, Szarkai), it would allow for a varied party to say the least (however, Half-Drow and Szarkai [aka: Albino Drow] need a Pathfinder upgrade), and with Drow being of almost every class under the sun, there is no such thing as a "Cookie Cutter Drow."

2. What could be the central plot? I'm a new DM, so 4 or so races makes my life a lot easier, along with the campaign probably taking place in the Underdark, all I need is Underdark monsters (Illithid, Aboleths, other Drow, Driders/Scorrows, etc.). However, I don't have a major villain that could fit the bill for being a threat to the Drow way of life, nor a situation that could warrant a 1-20 campaign.

3. I want to Pathfinderize a few classes, including the Dark Weaver and the Shadowcaster (possibly with an upgrade). What are some suggestions to updating these classes for PF. Not looking for direct homebrew, just suggestions. That being said, if anyone has PF-ized these classes, would be appreciated if you linked them. Also looking to add ToB (just a good book), Binders (ToM, fits fluff-wise), and some Drow-Exclusive PrCs (Justicar, etc.) as well as a suggestion that someone in the party take the Drow Paragon racial class. What other suggestions do you guys have, including flavorful/Drow-exclusive/etc. PrCs that are good. I plan on making a compiled list of "allowed" PrCs/Classes/Races/stuff.

4. Feats: The bane of my existence. I will allow anything from 3.5 and PF, but I would like some other suggestions for maybe banned feats, such as maybe a feat that doesn't work with the Drow as a whole (exalted), or is overpowered (Otherworldly). Suggestions folks?

5. WBL is one thing I've rarely had to deal with. Should WBL be on the high end (considering these ARE Drow, who most often have Adamantine weapons) or normal (enemies won't always be Drow, so the WBL may fluctuate).

6. I plan on going with a house rule that states if you aren't using Special Ammunition (Flaming Arrows, Arrows of Slaying, etc.), you have "unlimited ammo." Is this a good house rule, or does this hurt the game in any way. The reason I like this rule personally is that it's less WBL spent on ammo and more spent on gear, and more practically, less paperwork. Guns in this setting won't have this rule (Gunsmiths are few and far between, with maybe one or two in major drow settlements, like Menzzoberranzen[?]), and thus will have to be bought as equipment.

7. Any suggestions other than those covered. Would like that a lot.

Party will most likely be between 4-6 players and a DM (me), played on a Skype/Live hybrid and run from 1-20. I'm new to DMing, but I've ran a few encounters. Two of the encounters I designed were TPKs and one nearly was a TPK, so I'm a little heavy-handed and like to design difficult if done wrong encounters (one was a battle with some Gnoll Necromancers and skeletons with a group of skeleton knights. The Necromancer leader could revive the skeletons, and the party was on a 20 round clock, or else Avatars of Yeeoghnu and Orcus would be made from a pair of statues. The party was about 10th level, and 3 of the 4 players were either killed or in seriously bad shape. The Rogue/Assassin was the only guy in decent health.).

Thank you all for any tips/tricks/ideas/critiques/etc. that you post.

hivedragon
2012-04-09, 02:32 PM
Some things to keep in mind:
Their spells are weak and anything that would gain advantage from the bonus to mental stats would be severely hurt by their LA. The bulk of the cost of their LA is their spell resistance, so unless they are fighting going up against a spell caster which prepares only direct damage or status ailment effects they are 2 effective levels behind any other character. LA buy-offs are definitely your friend.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm

As for enemies:
The biggest threat to Drow are other Drow.

Tokuhara
2012-04-09, 02:44 PM
Some things to keep in mind:
Their spells are weak and anything that would gain advantage from the bonus to mental stats would be severely hurt by their LA. The bulk of the cost of their LA is their spell resistance, so unless they are fighting going up against a spell caster which prepares only direct damage or status ailment effects they are 2 effective levels behind any other character. LA buy-offs are definitely your friend.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm

As for enemies:
The biggest threat to Drow are other Drow.

I'm actually letting the players neglect the LA (Pathfinder-style), so all of the characters being the same effective level adjustment, I'm flat waiving it. Again, the only available races are Drow, Drow Noble, Half-Drow, and Szarkai, so everyone is a Drow in some form or another.

I understand the Drow vs. Drow threat, but how precisely could I implement this as a campaign that will extend from 1-20?

Tokuhara
2012-04-09, 05:51 PM
For a less-messy explanation:

Since the only races for the players are Drow (PFSRD), Drow Noble (PFSRD), Half-Drow (Homebrew based on a hybrid of Drow and Half-Elf), and Szarkai/Albino Drow (Originally from DotU, but Homebrew Update), I'm waiving the Level Adjustment/Whatever rule, considering they need some buff for not being able to play a "Normal Race."

I plan on allowing every class on PFSRD, as well as (So Far):

Dark Weaver
Shadowcaster
Binder
Warblade
Crusader
Swordsage
Blackheart
Netherstrider

Don't know what feats are being banned yet.

Edit:

The plot so-far:

A mysterious lost city of the Drow called Dezzavoid has been missing since the last civil war among the Drow. A legend persists that it was swallowed by the Nine Hells and it's denizens tortured for all of eternity due to Lolth murdering Xanthos, the Scorpion King.

In actuality, Zargon, the elder evil devil, has taken over the city and plans to kill Lolth and take her office and divinity to take his rightful throne and end the Blood War.

The party must choose between Xanthos and Lolth at the end, and must assault either Dezzavoid (if siding with Lolth) and Menzoberranzan (if siding with Zargon)