PDA

View Full Version : Help making a Demon/Devil lord (3.5e)

Hiro
2012-04-09, 02:10 PM
The basics are:

All chars have six PC class levels, if they want push to CR +21 CR through template they loose PC levels, minimum 4 PC levels. Meaning max CR through template or creature type is CR 23.

If your basic creature is less than CR 21, the minimum CR is 19 (meaning 8 PC levels). Either way combined CR and class levels is CR 27 creature give or take. However this does not mean you need to have HD 19 or 23 or 27. You may as well have HD 11 and be CR 27 by templates!

Anyways any templates which would not normally affect outsider will work on them. However absolute rule is that all are outsiders and all receive either Baatezu or Tana'ri subtype and the Evil Lawful/Chaotic subtypes. Your type never changes to magical beast, undead etc. Incorporeal is possible (there can be spectral devils/demons which aren't undead). You could have plant alike abilities (think a treant as base creature where you add half-fiend template) but you are not fey nor plant subtype.

Anyways another demand is that either base race or template turns you into outsider. Anyways you do not need stick up with specific abilities granted by the template. Example if you pick vampire template your not undead but you got level drain (and your not immune to level drain). But you could change gaseous form so that you become a cloud of butterflies (same deal, just different visual).

However there is this condition in abilities; You loose all shapechange abilities. Your unique and you should flaunt being unique. Alternative form (like lycantrophe template grants) is allowed but you need avoid using your alternative form ability much as possible. Hybrid form could be your default form but you can be human or animal form for short time but even then both forms are striking unique (so you cannot 'blend in' among normal humans nor animals even if you tried).

Also as avoid spellcasters trump over the place the rule is that you cannot have higher CL than 10 in spells known/per day. But if base creature has spellcasting and you pick PrC which has no perfect spellcast progress is allowed. Also practiced spellcaster feat can be taken once to boost the CL for spell effect and SR bypass. But otherwise no bigger than CL 10 or Manifester level 10 (for psionics). Martial Adept levels are not limited this way.

So I'm a little lost on just what to try out. Any/Everything is open to use..

PersonMan
2012-04-09, 02:18 PM
The basics are:

All chars have six PC class levels, if they want push to CR +21 CR through template they loose PC levels, minimum 4 PC levels. Meaning max CR through template or creature type is CR 23.

If your basic creature is less than CR 21, the minimum CR is 19 (meaning 8 PC levels). Either way combined CR and class levels is CR 27 creature give or take. However this does not mean you need to have HD 19 or 23 or 27. You may as well have HD 11 and be CR 27 by templates!

First off, you mean 'lose'. 'loose' is an adjective which means the opposite of 'tight'.

Secondly, well...it's fairly difficult to understand what you are saying. You are ECL 23, with 6 class levels, and add templates until you reach 23?

The second paragraph is...also confusing. All monsters are CR 27? Or...do you mean monster PCs?

Hiro
2012-04-09, 02:27 PM
Ok the way it's set up is that forget the LA's we're using monster CR to built the templates.

You basically have 6 class levels in anything you want. But you have to build up your CR up to 27 via templates.

Andorax
2012-04-09, 04:11 PM
Well, I hate to go directly counter to what you're suggesting right off the bat, but for what it's worth there was an article about creating Demon Lords in the last issue of Dragon ever to see print.

Dragon 359 (Sept 07)
Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Aprcrypha

I'm not sure your intention or purpose here, but it might well be worth investigating.

As for what you personally posted...I'm not sure how Monster CRs come into it, but what I am seeing is:

1) No more than 6 class levels, and

2) Build up to CR 27 with templates.

Isn't that going to wind up giving you something like a fiendish, half-vampire, phrenic snail with a whole slew of abilites and immunities...and only 6 HD?

Hiro
2012-04-10, 12:43 PM
Or in what I have now:

Mature Adult Shadow Red Dragon Monster of Legend :p

Andorax
2012-04-10, 01:01 PM
Oh...so you can start with any base monster, template it, but have a limit of advancement by character classes of no more than 6 levels?

Got it. I'll chew on the ideas some.

Hiro
2012-04-10, 01:38 PM
Correct. sorry it wasn't clear.

Andorax
2012-04-10, 04:40 PM
Nakaloet was a Wolverine (CR 2).

It was a BIG Wolverine (Kaiju template, Dragon 289, Size Colossal, Magical Beast, CR 17)

It was made of earth and stone (Earth Element Creature, MotP, type Elemental, CR 19)

...From Rashemen (Thomil, Unapproachable East, CR 21)

It went Bad (Corrupted Creature, BoVD, type Aberration, CR 24)

And then became a Demon Lord (Demon Lord template, Dragon 359, final type: Outsider. CR 28 Est.)

Nakaloet, Demon Lord of Animalistic Fury CR 28

CE Colossal Outisider [Chaotic, Earth, Evil, Tanar'ri]
Init +4; Senses darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision, scent, Tremorsense 60 ft.; Spot +47, Listen +47
Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic, Terran; Telepathy out to 300 ft.
Aura: Tortured Earth (30 ft., DC 52)
--------------------------------------
AC 46, touch 2, flat-footed 46
(+0 Dex, +44 Nat, -8 Size)
hp 1100 (43 HD); fast healing 20; DR 20/Cold Iron, Epic, and Good
Immune: acid, electricity, mind-influencing effects, poison
Resist: cold 10, fire 10, sonic 50; SR 48
Fort +44, Ref +23, Will +25; +2 vs Red Wizards' spells.
Speed 30 ft., burrow 20 ft., climb 10 ft.
Melee claws +56/+56/+51/+46/+41/+36 (3d8+26+20 vile;18-20/x3) and bite +56 (6d6+13+20 vile;18-20/x3)
Atk Options: Augmented Criticals, Breath Weapon, Earth Mastery, Engulf, Rend, Snatch, Spell-Like Abilities, Spellcasting Harrier, Trample, Tremendous Rage
Space 40 ft.; Reach 20 ft.
Base Atk: +43; Grp +85
Abilities Str 62, Dex 11, Con 53, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 34
SQ: Boulder Defense, Burrow, No Breath, Scent, Tanar'ri Traits
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dark Speech, Improved Initiative, Improved Rapidstrike, Improved Trample [K], Maximize Breath, Power Attack, Rapidstrike, Recover Breath, Rend, Snatch, Spellcasting Harrier, Toughness, Track
Skills: Climb +80, Concentration +67, Handle Animal +58, Intimidate +58, Jump +72, Knowledge (the planes) +47, Survival +48.
Boulder Defense (Ex): Nakaloet can change his shape to a smooth, immobile, boulderlike form. In this form, Nakaloet's DR changes to 15/- and his SR increases by 5, but he cannot move or make attacks. Assuming this form takes a standard action, while returning to his normal form is a free action.

Breath Weapon (Su): Nakaloet can use this breath weapon once every 1d4-1 rounds. It is a line of sonic energy 10 ft. by 10 ft. by 100 ft. and does 10d6 damage (Reflex save DC 56 for half). He may choose to do maximum (60) damage by taking a full-round action...this increases the time it takes his breath weapon to recharge to 1d4+2 rounds.

Burrow (Ex): Nakaloet can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish moves through water.

Earth Mastery (Ex): Nakaloet gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if both it and its foe touch the ground. If an opponent is airborne or waterborne, Nakaloet suffers a -4 penalty on attack and damage rolls.

Engulf (Ex): Nakaloet can, as a standard action, attempt to envelop an opponent of Gargantuan size or smaller. Nakaloet cannot make a regular attack on the round he engulfs prey. Nakaloet moves over opponents, affecting as many as he can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against Nakaloet, but if they do, they are not entitled to a saving throw (Reflex DC 56) or be engulfed; on a success they are pushed back or aside (opponent's choice) as Nakaloet moves forward. Engulfed creatures ar econsidered grappled and trapped within Nakaloet's body and automatically take crushing damage each round (4d6+26+20 vile).
An engulfed creature can attempt to cut its way out of Nakaloet's body with natural weapons or a light slashing or piercing weapon. Dealing 1/4 of Nakaloet's normal hps (275) in this way creates an opening large enough to permit escape. Once a single engulfed creature exits, Nakaloet's body reshapes to close the hole; thus, another engulfed opponent must cut its own way out.
The engulfed creature can instead attempt an Escape Artist check (DC 57) or Strenght check (DC 46). Nakaloet's body can hold two Gargantuan creatures or four creatures size Huge or smaller. Nakaloet can move and attack normally while engulfing creatures.

No Breath (Ex): Nakaloet does not breathe and is immune to gas-based attacks that require a Fortitude saving throw. He can exist buried in the earth, underwater, or in other airless environments with ease.

Rend (Ex): For each pair of claw attacks that hits a given target, Nakaloet deals extra damage equal to 6d8+39+20 vile. Nakaloet cannot both Snatch and Rend the same target.

Snatch (Ex): Nakaloet can choose to start a grapple with a claw or bite attack as if he had the improved grab special ability. If he gets ahold of a creature of size Large or smaller, he can squeeze his target each round for automatic bite or claw damage. A snatched creature in Nakaloet's mount does not get a Reflex saving through against his breath weapon.

Spellcasting Harrier: Any spellcaster Nakaloet threatens in melee provokes an attack of opportunity (at +4 to hit) if he or she tries to cast defensively.

Skills: Nakaloet has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Spell-Like Abilities: Caster Level 23, Save DC 22+SL
At Will: astral projection, blasphemy, desecreate, detect good, detect law, greater dispel magic, greater teleport, plane shift, telekinesis, unhallow, unholy aura, unholy blight, wall of stone, wingbind (SC)
3/day: earthquake, imprisonment*, symbol of weakness
1/day: abyssal rift (FC1), crushing fist of spite (BoVD)

Summon (Sp): Once per day Nakaloet can automatically summon 1d3 Black Rock Triskelions (MMIV, p8). This ability is the equivalent of a 9th level spell.

Tortured Earth (Su): All spaces within 30' of Nakaloet that consist of rock, stone, or similar surfaces constantly shape and reshape themselves into long, sharp points that blend into the background. Any creature other than Nakaloet moving on foot into or through this aura moves at half speed and suffers 1d8 piercing damage for each 5 ft. of movement through the spiked area. Any creature damaged by this spell must also succeed on a Reflex save (DC 52) to avoid injury to their its feet and legs. A failed save causes the creature's speed to be reduced to half normal for 24 hours or until the injured creature receives a cure spell or a 10-minute Heal check (also DC 52). Nakaloet can surpress this ability if desired...supressing or resuming it is a swift action.

Trample (Ex): As a standard action, Nakaloet can run over an opponent of Gargantuan size or smaller. He has merely to move over the opponent. The Trample deals 4d12+26+20 vile damage. Trampled opponents can attempt Reflex saves for half damage (DC 61).

Tremendous Rage (Ex): When Nakaloet takes damage in combat, he flies into a berserk rage on his next turn, clawing and biting madly. He gains +10 to Strength, +10 to Constitution, and -2 to Armor Class. He may end his rage as a swift action, and never suffers from fatigue as a result. This increases his attacks to claws +61/+61/+56/+51/+46/+41 (3d8+31+20 vile;18-20/x3) and bite +61 (6d6+15+20 vile;18-20/x3).

* Nakaloet can find any individual he has entrapped with the imprisonment spell-like ability, and burrow his way down to torment said individual via telepathy. He cannot otherwise affect or damage the target without first removing the imprisonment effect.

Hiro
2012-04-11, 01:02 PM
Can you tell me where you found these templates? I've been having trouble with that.

what's MotP? and where can I find the Kaiju template?

Andorax
2012-04-11, 01:07 PM
Kaiju is, as listed, in Dragon Magazine issue 289.

MotP is short for Manual of the Planes.

For what it's worth, all the relevant information is in the statblock entry already...the only thing you'd really need to look up would be some of the spell-like abilities.

Hiro
2012-04-11, 01:12 PM
This is true. I've been looking for the dragon mag but I can't find it online for the information on it.

and I'll have to find manual of the planes on 4shared or something :3

Thanks though. I appreciate the effort and all too ^^

Hiro
2012-04-12, 01:18 PM
I have the info saved but I cna't pick out what the demon lord info is in it. sorry..can you point it out to me? *is stupid atm*

Andorax
2012-04-12, 01:41 PM
I have the info saved but I cna't pick out what the demon lord info is in it. sorry..can you point it out to me? *is stupid atm*

Source:
Dragon 359 (Sept 07)
Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Aprcrypha

Specifically, it added the outsider type (with according skills, bab, saves), the Tanar'ri , Evil and Chaos subtypes, some stat boosts, all the SLAs, the summonning ability, the Tortured Earth aura, the Tremendous Rage (modification to the original woverine's rage) and the DR.

If you don't like this one, I could try again. This was just a stab at it...I was kinda hoping other people would post theirs too.

Hiro
2012-04-12, 02:31 PM
Well alright. The thing is: i've been looking for the dragon magazines you mention and can't find any form of online entry for them sine I dont' have the physical copy.

And a wolverine? it IS cool but it's not what I"m looking for: preferably something humanoid or draconic (Yeah I'm fond of the concept of a hellish dragon) I'm even playing with ideas of fallen celestials.

Andorax
2012-04-12, 04:16 PM
Ah...well, as I said, unless you need to tweak my build or check my math, all of the information you need IS in the entry itself.

I'll see if I can cook up something humanoid or draconic (or both) for ya.

Andorax
2012-04-13, 11:00 AM
Toth-Lareth, one of the darkest and foulest of the Death Giants (MMIII, CR 16).

In fact, he was legendary (Monster of Legend* template, MMII, type Outsider CR 18)

...and a touch draconic (Draconic template, Draconomicon, CR 19)

trained to stalk mortal beings and slay them (6 levels of Mortal Hunter, Book of Vile Darkness, CR 25)

And then became a Demon Lord (Demon Lord template, Dragon 359, CR 28 Est.)

* Technically illegal, since Giant isn't one of the allowed types, but I can't give a good reason as to why.

Toth-Lareth, Demon Lord of Stalking and Slaying CR 28
CE Huge Outisider [Chaotic, Evil, Tanar'ri]
Init +24; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision,; Spot +48, Listen +46
Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic, Giant, Common; Telepathy out to 300 ft.
Aura: Steal Soul (30 ft., DC 42)
AC 55, touch 21, flat-footed 49
(+6 Dex, +20 Nat, -2 Size, +7 Deflection, +12 Armor)
hp 571 (29 HD); fast healing 5, DR 20/Cold Iron, Epic, and Good
Immune: electricity, energy drain, fear, poison
Resist: acid 10, cold 10, fire 10; SR 41
Fort +50, Ref +38, Will +40; +8 (Wis mod) to saves against spells and SLAs of mortals, +4 vs sleep or paralysis.
Speed 35 ft. (50 ft. unarmored)
Melee Soulcleaver +51/+46/+41/+36 (4d6+34+2d6 vs good+2 negative levels;19-20/x3)
on a critical, add +2d6 damage and a fortitude save DC 45 or die.
and Bite +46 (2d6+10+poison (Fort DC 40, 1d6 Str/1d6 Str)
Ranged Rock +35 (2d8+21)
Atk Options: Frightful keeing, mortal hunting +3, rock throwing, smite mortals, spells, spell-like abilities, steal soul
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Base Atk: +29; Grp +58
Abilities Str 52, Dex 23, Con 40, Int 16, Wis 26, Cha 38
SQ: Abyss-tied soul, detect mortals, guardian souls, mortal skin, rock catching, soul healing, Tanar'ri traits
Feats: Alertness, Boost Spell-Like Ability, Cleave, Dark Speech, Devastating Critical [E], Improved Critical (Greataxe), Improved Initiative, Great Cleave, Mortalbane (BoVD), Multiattack, Overwhelming Critical [E], Power Attack, Track, Weapon Focus (Greataxe)
Skills: Concentration +47, Hide +24, Intimidate +42, Knowledge (arcana) +20, Knowledge (history) +20, Knowledge (planes) +29, Knowledge (religion) +27, Move Silent +32, Search +22, Spellcraft +18, Survival +34
Possessions: +4 Huge Full Plate, Soulcleaver (+3 Huge Unholy Life-Drinker Cold Iron Greataxe), Master Soul Amulet
Abyss-Tied Soul (Ex): Toth-Lareth's soul is not destroyed as other Death Giants normally are. If Toth-Lareth's soul is not taken as a guardian soul by another death giant or kept from departing by some other means (such as soul bind), it returns to his abyssal domain, there to gradually reform. If Toth-Lareth is slain on his home plane, his destruction is permament.
Detect Mortals (Su): As detect undead cast by a 15th level caster, except that mortals are detected.
Frightful Keening (Su): As a standard action, Toth-Lareth can trigger the guardian souls that waft around his body to wail in frightful anguish. Living creatures withink 100 feet that hear this keening must make a DC 42 Will save. Success indicates that the creature is shaken until it can no longer hear the keening or moves out of range. Failure causes the creuatre to be panicked for as long as it can hear the keening and remains within range, and shaken for 24 hours afterward.
Ending the frightful keening is a standard action. This is a sonic, mind-affecting fear ability. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Guardian Souls (Su): Toth-Lareth's victims become his guardians in death. Toth-Lareth is surrounded by a constantly swirling cloud of intangible spirits. These spirits provide Toth-Lareth with warnings and protection, granting him a bonus on initiative rolls, saves, Listen checks and Spot checks equal to his Charisma modifier (+14), and a deflection bonus to AC equal to half that amount (+7).
Toth-Lareth's will binds his guardian souls to him. They are not ghosts nor undead in the usual sense and cannot be damaged, dispelled, or separated from him. Only a successful turning attempt can quell these spirits for a time. If the turning attempt would turn or rebuke an undead with Hit Dice equal to Toth-Lareth (29), the guardian souls vanish for 1d10 rounds, and he loses the benefits of his guardian souls, frightful keening, soul healing and steal souls abilities until they return.
Mortal Hunting (Ex): Toth-Lareth has a +3 to attack, damage, bluff, listen, sense motive, spot and survival checks vs mortals. The damage bonus applies to ranged attacks only against opponents within 30 ft.
Mortal Skin (Su): By magically grafting bits of mortal flesh to his own body, Toth-Lareth gains the ability to transform (as polymorph) into any mortal form except dragons.If the flesh used is from the exact individual being imitated, the duration is permanent. if the flesh is from a being of the same type as the form adopted, the duration is 1 hour. If the flesh is of a different type, its duration is 10 minutes. In all cases, the ability can be dismissed as a standard action usable once per day.
Rock Catching (Ex): Once per round, when Toth-Lareth would normally be hit by a rock (or projectile of similar shape), he can make a Reflex save to catch it as a free action. The DC is 15 for a Small rock, 20 for a Medium one, and 25 for a Large one. If the projectile has a magic bonus to attack rolls, add that to the DC). Toth-Lareth must be readh for and aware of the attack in order to try to catch it.
Rock Throwing (Ex): Toth-Lareth is an accomplished rock thrower, and has a +1 racial bonus when throwing rocks. Toth-Lareth can hurl rocks of 60 to 80 pounds (Medium objects) up to five range increments (of 120 ft.).
Smite Mortals (Su): 1/day, Toth-Lareth adds his wisdom modifier (+8) to hit and +12 to damage to a normal melee attack.
Soul Healing (Su): When Toth-Lareth is protected by his guardian souls, hit point damage due to negative energy heals rather than harms him. Levels drained by his greataxe, Soulcleaver, heal him 5 hps per level drained. Toth-Lareth is healed by positive energy normally.
Soul Reaving (Su): Once per day, as a full-round action, and only while Frightful Keening is active, Toth-Lareth can briefly increase the range of his Steal Soul aura out to the full reach of Keening Souls (100') and flood that entire area with negative energy, dealing 20d6 negative energy damage to all living creatures within the area (and healing undead of that same amount).
Spells (as Sorceror), Save DC 28+SL
1st (5): cause fear, charm person, heartache (BoVD), protection from good, sleep, unnerving gaze (BoVD)
2nd (5): detect thoughts, evil eye (BoVD), hold person, magic circle vs good, see invisibility, web, wither limb (BoVD)
3rd (3): flesh ripper (BoVD), mirror sending (BoVD), nondetection, scrying, suggestion, vile lance (BoVD), wrack (BoVD)
Spell-Like Abilities: Caster Level 23, Save DC 28+SL, boost DC of 3 abilities/day by +2
5/day add Mortalbane to damaging SLA (+2d6 vs mortals/half vs outsiders, undead, and constructs)
At Will: astral projection, blasphemy, damning darkness (BoVD), desecreate, detect good, detect law, dread word (BoVD), greater dispel magic, greater teleport, plane shift, shapechange, telekinesis, unhallow, unholy aura, unholy blight
3/day: distort summons (BoVD), fiendish quickening (BoVD), inflict critical wounds, symbol of death
1/day: eternity of torture (BoVD), flame strike, soul shackles* (BoVD)
Steal Soul (Su): Any living creature with 50 or fewer hit points witin 30 feet of Toth-Lareth must succeed on a DC 42 fortitude save each round or die instantly. This is a death effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Any creature that dies within 15 feet of Toth-Lareth has its spirit sucked up into the squrling guardian souls that protect him. Such creatures cannot be raised, resurrected, or reincarnated so long as Toth-Lareth lives. Killing Toth-Lareth permamently releases the souls.
If a death giant dies within 15 feet of Toth-Lareth when he is slain permanently, the souls are not released and are instead transferred to Toth-Lareth via his steal soul ability.
Under extraordinary circumstances, Toth-Lareth may release a soul he has captured.
Summon (Sp): Once per day Toth-Lareth can automatically summon 1d3 Half-Fiend Death Giants (MMIII). This ability is the equivalent of a 9th level spell.

* When Toth-Lareth uses Soul Shackles as a spell-like ability, he does not have to utilize a recepticle, nor be within a desecrated area, to question a soul he has imprisoned using Steal Soul (or gained from another death giant)...using this spell-like ability on a captured soul lets him question the soul directly.
The original author of the dark deal that sold the Death Giant race into 'slavery' to the negative energy plane, Toth-Lareth delights in the destruction he has wrought, both by and of his own people. Some of the most devoted and like-minded death giants have followed him into a more complete fall, taking on the half-fiend template, and it is these giants he tasks with the most important acts of assassination and destruction.

These few fiendish giants wear something called a Soul Amulet, which interacts with their Steal Soul ability in an unusual manner. Normally, when a death giant dies in the presense of another (see the Steal Soul ability), the souls possessed by the dying one are transfered to the living. Any death giant that wears a Soul Amulet has the same connection to the wearer of the Master Soul Amulet (Toth-Lareth), only with a range of anywhere on the same plane. Thus, any death giant that wears a Soul Amulet, and subsequently dies while Toth-Lareth is on the same plane, will have the souls they had collected transfered through the amulet to Toth-Lareth's own collection.

The death of a PC or significant NPC at the hands of a half-fiend death giant bearing one of these amulets, then, could serve as a plot device for bringing Toth-Lareth into the campaign...as any attempt to raise the lost individual would first require that Toth-Lareth die.

Hiro
2012-04-13, 11:23 AM
The build rules allow it. You can apply templates that don't normally apply to outsiders :3

Hiro
2012-04-14, 12:11 PM
Here's what I got so far for a "fun" but powerful type

Human Base + Half-Fang Dragon + Unholy Scion + Amphibious + Spellwarped + Monster of Legend with 4 lvls of Swordsage and 5 levels of bloodclaw master

Stats: all told:

Str: 45 (+17 mod)
Dex: 23 (+6)
Con: 39 (+14)
Int: 26 (+8)
Wis 34 (+12)
Cha: 27 (+8)

Equip:

Perused 1 manual of Bodily health +5, Gainful Exercise +5, and tome of understanding +5

Necklace of Natural weapons +5 (applies to all), Energy aura, Vampiric, Warning

Mithral Breastplate +5 with Called, Mobility, Nimbleness and Moderate Fortification

Boots of Swift Passage
Ring of Adamantine Touch
Vest of Resistance +5
Wings of Flying

anyone who can improve on this is welcome to suggest and the original request is still active.

Feats: Multiattack, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Adaptive Style, Rapidstrike, Improved Rapidstrike, Weapon Focus (Claw), Improved natural weapon (Claw), Rapid Assault, Dragon Tail, Improved Critical (Claws)

Johel
2012-04-14, 02:47 PM
Say, might be a dumb idea here... but why not just use the rules guideline for improved monsters ?

For exemple, you take a Balor's basic stats :

Large Outsider
AC +19 (natural) -1 (Size)
20HD
Abilities :
Str +24, Dex +14, Con +20, Int +14, Wis +14, Cha +16
Saves :
Fort 2+(HD / 2)
Ref 2+(HD / 2)
Will 2+(HD / 2)
Feats : 1+(HD / 3)
Skills : (8+Int bonus) x (3+HD)
+8 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks
Attack:
+1 vorpal longsword ; +(1/HD + Str bonus +1 Magic) melee (2d6+Str bonus +1 Magic /19-20)
Special abilities :
Death throes
Spell-like abilities (DD +charisma bonus)
Summon demon
Damage reduction 15/cold iron and good
Darkvision 60 ft.
Flaming body
Immunity to electricity, fire and poison
Resistance to acid 10 and cold 10
Spell resistance 28
Telepathy 100 ft.
True seeing

CR : 20

Now, let's say you want a Demon Lord :

You add some racial Hit Dices
+1 per 2 HD
We will add 10 HD
This makes +5 to CR
CR : 25

Instead of having the basic Balor, you use the Elite array.
This makes +1 to CR
CR : 26

You increase the size to Huge
This makes +1 to CR
CR : 27

What will change :

Huge Outsider
AC 35 (+22 Natural -3 Size +5 Dex)
30d8+390 hp (525)
Abilities :
Str 46, Dex 20, Con 36, Int 27, Wis 24, Cha 31
Saves :
Fort 2+15+13
Ref 2+15+5
Will 2+15+7
Feats : 11
Skills : 528 (max rank : 33)
+8 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks
Attack:
+1 vorpal longsword +49 melee (3d6+19/19-20)
Special abilities :
Death throes
Spell-like abilities (DD +10)
Summon demon
Damage reduction 15/cold iron and good
Darkvision 60 ft.
Flaming body
Immunity to electricity, fire and poison
Resistance to acid 10 and cold 10
Spell resistance 28
Telepathy 100 ft.
True seeing

Hiro
2012-04-14, 02:48 PM
Well the "monster" is supposed to be unique. And to Flaunt it. An improved Balor isnt' that unique- just one that's been around for a helluva long time.

Johel
2012-04-14, 03:47 PM
Could have a unique appearance.
Up to you to draw it.
Change some traits and power, too :

"Electric Body" instead of Flaming Body

The vorpal longsword and the flaming whip are gone.
They are replaced by a Shocking Burst Dire Flail +5
Which make for a fun appearance :
The Demon Lord would be wielding a staff, two chained weights the size of an halfling swinging at the ends.
With screaming human faces sculpted in the metal from which electric bolts keep appearing.

Add to this a Breastplate+5 with Greater Cold Resistance.
Cold is usually the way to go against Demon.
If this one has a very high AC, a high total of hit points and cold resistance 30, it will make the adventurers life difficult.

Empower Spell-Like Abilities (Firestorm, Energy Substitution : Electricity)
That's only once a day.
But it will make for a great scene while basically killing everything with 30d6 of electricity damage.
Way to clean the room.

Replace "Dominate Monster" at-will by "Summon Monster IX" at-will.
He can just spam bands of Vrocks to tire off the adventurers.
And unlike the Summoning ability, this one doesn't imply any kind of beholding to the summoned monster.

Hiro
2012-04-15, 12:20 PM
That...would be pretty awesome. *rubs chin*

The Glyphstone
2012-04-15, 12:33 PM
This looks oddly familiar...

Hai there.:smallbiggrin:

Hiro
2012-04-15, 03:48 PM
Hey Id idn't know you were a mod here Glyph!

Was just looking for a littl ehelp...that's all *halo* that and info on templates that I can't find anywhere it seems. >.> yet I keep getting told to find teh magazine, which i cannot or pick out theinfo from tehe monster presented...