PDA

View Full Version : Have a character concept, but not sure how to implement it

DragonKnight
2012-04-09, 02:22 PM
Hi there, just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to implement this idea of a character.

Essentially, I'm picturing a gish class that can use divine magic and still fight in melee. My original idea was to try Geomancer, but honestly, I realized I'd just be playing a slightly weaker DMM-Cleric and I've done that before. So I'm looking for a different way to accomplish my goal of a melee gish that can sling nature-ish spells around.

My original influence for this is the Blue Mage from Final Fantasy XI, a class that struggles with a beast within them, and fights with a bit of ferocity. You can see why I might have initially favored the Geomancer.

Anyway, any ideas would be welcome if suggestions are available. I'm not worried about being a powerhouse by any means, I would just like to pull my own weight in combat. The group I'm playing in are a mix of power gamers and casual players, so as long as I can pull my own weight, then great, but if there's an efficient way to pull this flavor off, I'd love it just the same.

Occasional Sage
2012-04-09, 04:31 PM
Fighter 20. Cross-class UMD and go shopping.

You'll be brilliant!

Zanfire
2012-04-09, 04:49 PM
Favored Soul, casts like a sorcerer but off the cleric list, cleric BAB, all good saves & d6. simple, martial, shields, light & med, plus deity's favored. wings, energy resistances and dr as u lv.

JeminiZero
2012-04-09, 07:09 PM
My original influence for this is the Blue Mage from Final Fantasy XI, a class that struggles with a beast within them, and fights with a bit of ferocity. You can see why I might have initially favored the Geomancer.

AFAIK, there are very few classes that literally struggle with something trying to influence their behaviour in an unwanted direction, partly because thats usually no fun to play. The one class that I am aware of, with an actual mechanic for this, is Binder.

Essentially, I'm picturing a gish class that can use divine magic and still fight in melee. ... So I'm looking for a different way to accomplish my goal of a melee gish that can sling nature-ish spells around.

Fight in melee? Throw nature spells? Sounds like a straight Druid to me.

Flickerdart
2012-04-09, 07:22 PM
If you want something a bit more fighty than casty, Ranger with the Mystic and Wildshape variants will be a better fit than Druid. If you ever decide you want to be a Red mage instead of Blue, just pick up Sword of the Arcane Order for a heaping helping of arcane spells. After 10th level, when your spells stop progressing, head over to whatever suits your fancy.