PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewing a Spellcaster

Sugashane
2012-04-09, 02:48 PM
We are all going to homebrew a class to use in case of a character death or just restarting over from high levels, and I am going to try to homebrew a spellcaster prestige class. I want to see about making a class that mimics the Illithad Savant, which my DM has ok'ed in principle. Just have to make it work out.

Here is my idea so far:
Prereqs:
Knowledge (arcana) 10 ranks
Knowledge (anatomy) 6 ranks
Ability to cast 5th level arcane spells (possibly must be necromancy based?)

The character gains no spell progression but normal arcane spellcaster advancement to BAB and saves. The class forfeits progression on spellcasting to pursue the art of the minds. The class does not gain any proficiencies in weapons or armors and is a d4 as well. There are 10 levels (exactly mirroring the IS), with no epic progression. Instead of sucking the brain out of the character, the class member is able to use a spell-like ability to remove a portion of their memories and mental capacity to infuse it with their own. As they level up their ability becomes stronger and they may pull more than one skill or extraordinary ability from the dead character. The draining ability takes 3d4 rounds to complete and they must do this within 24 hours of the death of the character.

Any critiques are welcomed and any possible names are also appreciated.