PDA

View Full Version : [PF] CR of character

CreganTur
2012-04-09, 03:35 PM
It's been a while since I Dmed and I can't remember this rule. I need to make a few enemies based on class levels, but I can't remember if it's a striaght translation to CR. I seriously doubt it, because I know a CR6 wizard would get OWNED by a level appropriate party.

Jeraa
2012-04-09, 03:47 PM
Character level -1 is their CR. Remember that a level-appropriate CR is supposed to only take up roughly 20% of a parties resources. A CR6 creature is supposed to be owned by a 6th level party.

Adding NPCs: Creatures whose Hit Dice are solely a factor of their class levels and not a feature of their race, such as all of the PC races detailed in Races, are factored into combats a little differently than normal monsters or monsters with class levels. A creature that possesses class levels, but does not have any racial Hit Dice, is factored in as a creature with a CR equal to its class levels –1. A creature that only possesses non-player class levels (such as a warrior or adept) is factored in as a creature with a CR equal to its class levels –2. If this reduction would reduce a creature's CR to below 1, its CR drops one step on the following progression for each step below 1 this reduction would make: 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8.

Rift_Wolf
2012-04-09, 07:02 PM
Also, remember that a 6th level wizard is going to be easy to kill if it gets into melee, but there's several tactics and tricks that a wizard can use to draw out a fight. Don't be afraid to play smart with wizards or clerics.