PDA

View Full Version : Mafia Style Missions?

Ravens_cry
2012-04-09, 04:40 PM
I had an idea for a campaign where the local thieves guild hires the group and I wanted to base them on classic ideas of the Mafia. So, I want to have quests that are Mafia-esque, transplanted to a quasi-medieval setting.
I had ideas where the group goes on courier runs and takes out rivals and snitches, but that could get boring after a while.
I wonder if the Playground had any other ideas for things the group could do.

Malachei
2012-04-09, 04:45 PM
I had an idea for a campaign where the local thieves guild hires the group and I wanted to base them on classic ideas of the Mafia. So, I want to have quests that are Mafia-esque, transplanted to a quasi-medieval setting.
I had ideas where the group goes on courier runs and takes out rivals and snitches, but that could get boring after a while.
I wonder if the Playground had any other ideas for things the group could do.

You may want to look at the Council of Thieves adventure path (Pathfinder).

Ravens_cry
2012-04-09, 04:59 PM
You may want to look at the Council of Thieves adventure path (Pathfinder).
I played it.
It . . .wasn't exactly what I was looking for. In the words of me, it was "Dungeon Crawling in people's basements", though some parts were awesome, particularly a certain performance.

Malachei
2012-04-09, 05:12 PM
I understand. Great maps, though.

For Mafia-style adventures, I'd say:

Watch Godfather / Donnie Brasco, Heat, The Departed and perhaps We Own the Night again Mix complex backgrounds with straightforward missions, such as bank robberies, assassination, gang feuds, protection money, etc. Add red herrings and sub-plots that move parallel to the main plot, such as PCs having a relative in the town guard, secretly work for a rival cartel, or another power threatening to harm their family Add mysterious fences, bards, investigators etc. whose ultimate allegiance is not known

Eigenclass
2012-04-09, 06:58 PM
Here's a couple of hooks that even LG characters might be peripherally okay with:

One of the newer members of the organization has started engaging in activities that even the Thieves Guild doesn't tolerate - maybe consorting with extraplaner entities/foreign enemies, child slavery, etc. This particularly depraved illicit activity is giving this upstart a lot of influence within the guild, which undermines the positions of current upper echelons, and even they dare not openly act against this person. This is where The Party comes in. This doesn't mean the thieves are "good", or "lawful", but you're fire with which the thieves are fighting fire.
Similar vein - a crooked cop, evil wizard, or demon that happens to be connected to the local political establishment is preying on (murdering, vivisecting for bizarre arcane experiments) the thieves in town. The law won't do anything because of this person's connections, and because the victims are only worthless miscreants after all. So they appeal to The Party, the local strong-arms, because thieves're human too, and don't deserve injustice...
There is a shadowy war of assassination and betrayal going on between two rival crime syndicates, and one of the bosses' innocent family is caught in the crossfire. Maybe they're from out of town - whatever the case, they either don't know or just recently learned of their family's shameful secret, and have no part in wrong-doing, however, they're being targeted by the rival syndicate. The boss wants to hire The Party to keep them safe.
The old crime boss is on his deathbed, and tells you of a powerful artifact of The God of Thieves that can be used to determine the true successor to the Thieves' Guild throne (the MacGuffin is actually just a legend, the old man is having one last laugh/testing his peoples' resourcefulness). Along the way, there are a cast of NPCs ranging from charismatic to cut-throat who think they'd be best for the job. The Party can either chase the MacGuffin and be misled to the false artifact (after which the "winner" of the Thieves Guild publically humiliates them), or help pick the successor, thereby earning themselves a powerful if somewhat unreliable ally in the shadows.