PDA

View Full Version : No-Save Necromancy? (Can a Cleric be a good Necromancer with low DCs?)

Giegue
2012-04-09, 06:15 PM
As the title asks. I love the feats Dynamic Priest and Academic Priest, since I prefer int and cha to wis as my casting stat, and I love necromancy, yet those feats do not make your DCs based on cha or int, respectively. Thus, I am wondering, can a cleric with Dynamic or Academic Priest still be an effective Necromancer despite not being able to make use of most offensive necromancy spells?(Since they require saves I.E. Harm) I was thinking that the best thing to do would be to focus on minions and melee, shooting for the Bone Knight PrC and focusing my necromancy on having MOAR undead as appose to direct offensive necromancy and save-or-dies. Would this be viable or would this character not be an effective necromancer. I want your thoughts and opinions please.

Madara
2012-04-09, 07:25 PM
If you did decide to go pure minionmancy, you'd be fine(Read as: "Incredible"). Granted, MAD can be a serious problem, but even if you're MAD, you'll still be a T1 caster.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-09, 07:42 PM
'Minionmancy' can be good in theory, but it really slows down the game in practise.

Madara
2012-04-09, 07:58 PM
Smart necromancers don't have that problem. They animate one giant beatstick and run around hitting everything with it. Everything. Seriously, Skeleton cloud giant with 300 something hp. He has 37 or 39 strength after boosting him, and can just plain dominate. All with just one minion.

and we are assuming this is IRL, which I think it is.