PDA

View Full Version : 7 All-Purpose Use-Anywhere Super-Fun Magical items

Cookiemobsta
2012-04-09, 08:00 PM
There are a few magical items that I've created that have made their way into almost every campaign I DM, and are generally extremely popular. I like these items because they work independently of party power level; they won't break the game if given to a first level character, and they're still useful if given to a 10th level character. They're also quirky, require creativity, and are pretty darn fun. If you have items of your own, or have opinions about these items, post a reply and let me know.
Without further ado:

The Hat of "Disguise Everything But The Hat Of Disguise"
This is a extremely garish, foppish hat--wide brim, bright colors, peacock feathers, you name it. It functions as a hat of disguise (allowing the wearer to cast Disguise Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disguiseSelf.htm) at will), but the disguise self spell does not cover the hat itself. So if you transform into a cleric of Pelor, you will be a cleric of Pelor with a garish, foppish hat, which you will need to explain away somehow.

Fill Bowl
This is a simple wooden bowl with the word "Fill" inscribed in the center. If the person holding the bowl says the word "Fill", the bowl will fill with warm, nutritious stew. There is no limit to the number of times the bowl can fill, but if the stew is taken out of the bowl without being eaten, it will turn to dust within one hour (so no ending world hunger.) This bowl can be found in the original King's Quest game, if any of you folks are old-timers.

Belt Of Personal Gravity Reversal
This is an ordinary belt with two metal arrows on the buckle. If someone touches the "up" arrow, gravity is reversed for the wearer. If someone touches the "down" arrow, gravity returns to normal. You take normal falling damage when you reverse gravity, so if the roof is 50 feet up and you reverse gravity, it will be treated as if you had fallen 50 feet.
The buttons only function when the wearer is stationary, so if you reverse gravity when you are outside, you will fly up forever. If the wearer removes the belt when gravity is reversed, gravity will return to normal for them but the belt will continue to fly upwards. Inspired by the game VVVVVV

Wand Of Mind Swap
Point it at another living creature and activate. If they fail a will save (or your system's equivalent), you take over their body and they take over your body. You retain all of your mental attributes but gain all the physical attributes of your new body. If multiple mind swaps occur and everyone is chasing each other trying to get their original bodies back, it is highly recommended that you play the Yakety Sax theme. If your gaming group is likely to abuse this, you can balance it by saying that in 24 hours minds revert back to their original bodies, or that if your original body is killed both you and the person inhabiting your body die.

The Moo Goat
Not a magical item so much as a magical...experience. A moo goat is a bright blue goat that moos like a cow. The result of a failed magical experiment to create a hybrid livestock animal that combined the best features of goats and cows, the moo goat has a special ability. Although it can survive on normal grass and straw, it prefers the processed fibers found in clothing. In order to get its preferred food, it has developed a magical ability. If you make eye contact with a moo goat, you must make a will save. If you fail the will save, you will have no memory of the next few minutes, and will wake up with your clothes mostly eaten and a very contented moo goat smiling at you. If a party member fails a will save it is recommended to play the sax intro of George Michael's "Careless Whisper" to set the mood.

The Sea Captain's Sword
An elegant cutlass or rapier, the sea captain's sword has a handle guard that looks like unfurled sails. This guard can be removed from the sword. If removed from the sword and thrown into water, it will turn into a full-sized sailing ship, complete with a dozen invisible crew members, all named Steve. The crew members will obey the owner of the sword to the best of their ability. If the ship is destroyed, the unfurled sail guard will return to the sword in 24 hours, ready to be used again (although the Steves will be very upset with the captain.)

Earring of Second Chances
An earring shaped like an hourglass. If broken, the world goes back in time by one minute. Everyone except for the person who broke the hourglass is unaware of this and reacts exactly the same way they did before the hourglass was broken. The person who broke the hourglass, however, is aware of what happened in the minute that was reversed, and can take different actions. When they take different actions, everyone else can take different actions too in response. This is one use only, should generally only be used in situations of dire emergency, and was inspired by the movie Galaxy Quest

What do you guys think? Hopefully these will be some fun ideas for you :)

Knight13
2012-04-10, 08:47 AM
Bahaha, I love the Pimp Hat of Disguise. I kept imagining more and more unlikely disguises with that thing. Like kobold with pimp hat or mind flayer with pimp hat.

I think I remember the Fill Bowl from King's Quest 1. Man, that was a long time ago.

I like the ship of Steves too. If you say "Steve", do they automatically know which one you're addressing (like Igors in Discworld)? Or does it simply not matter?

Cookiemobsta
2012-04-10, 11:46 AM
The Steves are distinct people, and will often tell stories like "Captain! Steve was about to go overboard, but then Steve threw him a rope, but Steve had forgotten to finish mopping the deck so when Steve was climbing Steve's rope Steve slipped into Steve and sent him and Steve overboard too!"

However, they don't really expect anyone else to be able to tell them apart. If the captain needs to distinguish them, he can address them by role (ie, "Steve in the crow's nest, what do you see?" "Steve on the wheel, take us north!")

Dr Bwaa
2012-04-10, 12:01 PM
Ha! These are great; gotta remember to put the Wand of Using Your Body As A Magic Jar someplace. And to queue up Yakety Sax.

Tengu_temp
2012-04-10, 12:12 PM
That's some pretty damn funny stuff. I approve.

Muz
2012-04-10, 12:28 PM
Ha! These are great; gotta remember to put the Wand of Using Your Body As A Magic Jar someplace. And to queue up Yakety Sax.

I must now introduce into a game the Boots of Yakety Sax, playing a magical tune whenever the wearer is moving in any way other than walking.

DaMullet
2012-04-10, 02:36 PM
I must now introduce into a game the Boots of Yakety Sax, playing a magical tune whenever the wearer is moving in any way other than walking.

They should also cast Mass Haste whenever any sort of chase happens.

Dr Bwaa
2012-04-10, 02:40 PM

YESSSSSS. Additionally, all nearby doorways become portals to other nearby doorways.

nedz
2012-04-10, 03:53 PM

And Mass Suggestion so that every one follows the last person who moved.

Sith_Happens
2012-04-10, 11:23 PM
Previously posted in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179666) thread:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Defenestrating
Price: +200 gp
Property: Melee weapon.
Caster Level: 3rd
Aura: Faint; (DC 17) conjuration, transmutation
Activation: ---

If an attack made using a weapon with this property reduces a target to zero or fewer hitpoints, a stained-glass window is summoned adjacent to the target on the side opposite to the wielder, upright and facing the wielder. The window is the same size category as the target and may have a design of the wielder's choice, chosen mentally at the time of the attack. Otherwise, it depicts a choir of angels.

In addition, apply the effects of the Knockback feat (see page 142 of Races of Stone) to the attack that triggered this effect, as if the wielder qualified for and possessed the feat (she does not have to be using Power Attack in this case). The attempted bull rush must be in the direction of the summoned window, and the target is treated as if it had rolled a 1 on its opposed strength check.

Prerequisite: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Prestidigitation, Heroics.
Cost to Create: 100 gp, 8 XP, 1 day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

For those that have not played or wish to adapt this to something other than D&D 3.5, the overall effect of this weapon is that, when you kill something with it, it summons a stained-glass window and knocks the victim through said window. Best used near cliffs or other large drops.:smallbiggrin: